off topic open thread YouTube

Fly, me? (Belated slightly off topic post. With funny videos.)

He does not so much fly as plummet.
He does not so much fly as plummet.

Sorry for not having a regular post up today. I’d like to make it up to you with this irregular one, highlighting some of the dumbest modes of transport the world has ever seen.

Let’s start with this skateboard sail, available through Skymall. Is this the dumbest form of transportation ever?

Boy, he achieved some blazing speed there.

But at least he’s doing a little better than this guy and what he calls his “Homemade Plastic Sheeting Excitement Device.”

Hey, at least he’s enjoying himself. On his YouTube page, he explains:

I just wanted to get across how easy it was to build something that, on windy days, provides hours of real and actual and genuine and authentic satisfaction. I’m talking about the kind of satisfaction that comes back to haunt you like an embarrassing memory. One that returns repeatedly and redefines everything else in life according to its own immutable consequences. One that makes all other activities seem like useless and repetitive motions trailing into the absurd march of meaninglessness. In other words, satisfaction that makes everyday life unbearable and depressing.

This guy, astoundingly, is more successful with his flying device:

You’ll notice I didn’t specify that he was successful at flying. He was certainly successful at getting to the bottom of that hill. And he didn’t even fall over!

That, alas, cannot be said of our next competitor, who seems not to understand (among other things) that when his motorcycle wheels leave the ground they cease to provide him with any forward thrust.

This guy achieves similar, if slightly less dramatic, results without the need for an expensive motorcycle.

As he notes on YouTube: “No real flight on this video.” He’s a shoo-in as a finalist in the International Running Around in a Field With a Wing Competition 2013.

Meanwhile, this fellow’s seventh attempt at flying is a modest success. (I don’t even want to imagine what happened the first six times.)

Given his rather sudden and dramatic landing, it’s probably just as well that he didn’t get any higher up than he did.

There are so, so many more of these sorts of videos online. If you start exploring the “related videos” on YouTube you could be up all night. Which is still better than being up in one of these things.

Amused

The last one was my favorite.

Kamilla
Kamilla

1912 attempt from Eiffel Tower–he really should have had a safety net.

cloudiah

Laughage. That is all.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

These folk clearly did not see Dumb Ways to Die, because this is covered.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Dad’s 7th is lucky he did splat when he did – he could have smacked into the trees, the way he was going.

These remind me of the story of John Damian (originally Giovanni Damiano de Falucci), an Italian alchemist at the court of James IV. He made wings and tried flying off Stirling Castle, but – surprise! – it didn’t work. Luckily for him he landed in the midden and broke a leg instead of getting himself killed. His *cough*reasoning*cough* for the failure was that he’d included chicken feathers in his wings and of course, being lowly, vulgar sort of birds, they were attracted to the ground rather than the heavens.

Spin artists have been around forever.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

@Nepenthe – it’s amazing Metro came up with something that’s actually gone viral! (They screw up run Victoria’s rail system. Those posters are all over the place.)

Argenti Aertheri

Not flight related fail, but fail all the same —

“You can see it cracking over there” = a good time to slowly walk back the way you came

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Wasn’t it Franz’s death that started the urban myth that you die of a heart attack when falling from a great height?

At least he was trying to do something important – come up with a parachute for aviators. πŸ™

CassandraSays

You guys! OT but I have to share. I think I finally figured out where Steele got both his name and his literary style from. I was reading these recaps of 50 Shades of Grey and came across this gem, and suddenly everything was clear.

“Christian, recently, every day with you has been quite a day.” My voice is sardonic.

He shakes his head. “Fair point well made, Miss Steele. Come – I want to show you something.”

“Fair point well made, Miss Steele.”

SEE?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Great Ceiling Cat save us, I think you’re right!

Hmmm … does the word V I L E crop up in that woeful book?

And are there prizes for Worst Ever Fanfic and Publishers Who Should Be Tarred and Feathered?

CassandraSays

I haven’t seen “vile” yet. I don’t think it’s quite overdramatic enough for the author’s tastes.

Also, every time she has the dude trying to get Miss Steele to go somewhere with him he says “come” but when he actually wants her to come during sex he says “come on”. That cracks me up every time.

CassandraSays

Meanwhile, over in the other thread, Diogenes is throwing a tantrum.

Argenti Aertheri

Cassandra — thank you for that randomness, I am having a very pissed off night (for ever more OT reasons).

And my gods is that a torturous use of the English language. It’s like it wants to sound intelligent and cultured, but has no idea how to parse a basic sentence. Why, oh why, did no one tell the author of that drivel that ze sucked at writing and should pursue something else? Misandry!!

Argenti Aertheri

“Meanwhile, over in the other thread, Diogenes is throwing a tantrum.”

Oh is he now? I’m entirely in the mood to tear someone another hole. Lucky him, he just became my target!

CassandraSays

You want to hear something depressing? That piece of shit is the best selling novel in the world.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Ever? Already? One of the Harry Potters or something wouldn’t be surprising, but that’s impressive.

CassandraSays

Yep. When it bypassed Harry Potter my faith in humanity took a bit of a nosedive.

Argenti Aertheri

I…but it…do they mean paper novels? Do eBooks not count and thus it’s a biased sample? How does this happen?!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

It can’t have been misandry, lol. The author’s a woman. The horrible thing started as Twilight fanfic, so it really didn’t have a chance of being any good even if her writing didn’t suck. The whole book’s just about abuse, not a negotiated BDSM relationship at all.

Mind you it has spawned some wonderful take-down reviews. πŸ™‚

I read the other day it’s started to slide down the bestseller lists, fortunately.

Say, Argenti, Kim came up with a cool term for my dilemma of last night – soul-mated. She said it doesn’t really work as an adjective, and that’s true enough, but I really like it, not least ‘cos it’s almost a pun.

Argenti Aertheri

kitteh — I saw you found a term, glad you found something.

And that a woman was encouraged to write such drivel, while Steele was turned away from writing is solid proof that misandry is rampant in the literature world.

Seriously spellcheck? I spell it rampent and you suggest pentagram as an option? I’m wearing one, I can frikken’ spell the word just fine! …how is that even close?

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

My boyfriend has taken to collecting 50 Shades of This Book Offends Me On Multiple Levels* parodies. My personal favourite out of the lot is 50 Shelves of Grey, in which literary classics such as 1984, The Metamorphosis, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar are reinterpreted through the lens of erotica.

* It offends me as a writer. It offends me as a feminist. It offends me as a person who enjoys sex.

Noadi

I will give credit to 50 Shades for one thing: some really great parodies. These are my two favorites

Coincidentally both involve men who’ve been on Star Trek

Noadi
Noadi

I give up, the second one is 50 shades of chicken and it narrated by Patrick Stewart

CassandraSays

And then someone came up with the idea of getting Kristen Stewart to read 50 Shades aloud and the circle was complete.

Argenti Aertheri

I’m pretty sure you can post multiple youtube videos in a row if you include a blank line between them (hit enter twice in other words)

OH MY! XD

Falconer

I enjoy sweet ol’ George Takei but there is no way I am playing that video. Ever.

I was pulled over at the last rest area for three hours along I-90 in South Dakota about five years ago and I saw someone on a skateboard wearing one of those big parasail jobs like people use on the beach. He was getting some pretty good speed without using a vehicle or anything.

Falconer

*I had pulled off at the last rest area.

Didn’t mean to imply that I’d gotten a ticket.

Freemage
Freemage

Honestly, at least some of those worthless devices looked like they’d be fun–not in a ‘useful for getting someplace’ way, but in a ‘pointless, flying a kite’ way. For those guys, more power to ’em.

As for 50 Flavors of Shite, well, yeah. I won’t even take its success as some sort of evidence of the fall of society, because it’s so obvious that a lot of people bought it solely to see why it’s so badly hated, or to join in the mockery.

inurashii
inurashii

hours of real and actual and genuine and authentic satisfaction.

Steele?

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

I encountered some women in McDonalds and they were talking about how dreamy Christian Grey was, and how they’d like a ‘charming’ boyfriend who bought them presents and showered them with attention (read: stalking). Then they said they didn’t like the look of that BDSM stuff but they’d tolerate it for Hellspawn.
It took all my effort not to explode over my McNuggets about how that wasn’t proper BDSM, that was abuse, and I tweeted angrily about it.
Then a 50SoG fan followed me on Twitter.

I…

princessbonbon

I read We Need to Talk About Kevin last night and I could not put it down. So unsettling of a book.

And a zillion times better than that 50 Shades dreck.

Some Gal Not Bored At All
Some Gal Not Bored At All

We Need to Talk About Kevin is a fantastic book.

Some Gal Not Bored At All
Some Gal Not Bored At All

Have you seen the movie? (Sorry about two one-liners, but I’m posting from a tablet and I’m always so happy when I manage to type things that sometimes I forget I’m not done.)

princessbonbon

No, I did not know they had made a movie until last night. I checked Netflix and it is not on there. Maybe someday when it is not so raw in my head I will watch it.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I loved We Need to Talk About Kevin. I don’t think I could have read it when my son was small, though. He was 15 when I read it a few years ago and so I didn’t have to worry about him becoming a boy like Kevin. I could see a lot of myself in Kevin’s mom, which would have made it a terrifying read at one time.

Some Gal Not Bored At All
Some Gal Not Bored At All

The movie is also great and worth seeing although they did have to cut a lot obviously. IMO the choices of what to cut and what to keep were fantastic and the kids are awesome actors. I understand waiting though. The movie (which I saw first) didn’t shake me up nearly as much as the book, but is still a bit of an emotional punch. I hope you enjoy it when you are ready. πŸ™‚

My favorite 50SoG parody is still Gilbert Gottfried.

pecunium

I noticed the dude on the skateboard, in the first one; is headed downhill.

kamilla1960
kamilla1960

Good heavens, read Proust instead. It is much more genuinely erotic.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

The weather report is more genuinely erotic than 50 Shades of Dreck.

CassandraSays

Speaking of which, weather.com is warning me about something called Winter Storm Draco, which sounds like the US is about to be hit by a scene from Harry Potter.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

It certainly does! Hope it’s not as bad as it sounds.

Oh, I saw “Kittehslave” in the other thread and lol’d. Just as long as nobody thinks I’m related to Owly. πŸ˜›

Lisa

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge on the topic of unexpected emotions.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Well, that was certainly a surreal necrobot.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

My thoughts exactly.

Howard Bannister

…free home insulation? Preserveness? I feel like we’re in ‘mummification in a jar’ territory here.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

That must have been some exceptionally good acid.

Sheri

Undeniably imagine that that you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be at the net the easiest factor to consider of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while other folks think about worries that they just do not recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also outlined out the entire thing without having side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks