a voice for men antifeminism bullying false accusations harassment hate men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA not-quite-explicit threats not-quite-plausible deniability paul elam reddit the c-word

Register-Her was a Fake “Offenders Registry” Run By Misogynists, Designed to Vilify and Intimidate Women

Register-Her has accused Katherine Heigl of being a man-hating bigot who "endorses male targeted sexual mutilation."
Register-Her accused Katherine Heigl of being a man-hating bigot who “endorse[s] male targeted sexual mutilation” because she appeared in a Funny or Die video.
Register-Her was a bogus “offenders registry” put online by A Voice for Men, a notoriously misogynistic and hateful site that often targets individual women for harassment. Ostensibly a registry of female criminals, Register-Her was clearly intended to harm the reputation of feminist writers and activists whose only “crime” has been to offend those behind the site. These women were profiled as “bigots” alongside convicted murderers and child molesters.

NOTE: As of April 4, 2014, the original site and its individual profiles have been taken down; a new site with an apparently similar purpose  is evidently being built to replace it, but it’s not yet functional. You can see an archived version of the site’s main page, and its list of “bigots” using the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine, though you’ll need to manually edit the URLs of the “bigots” listed to see the archived profiles. (Replace each %20 in the URLs with an _ .)

Some of the women profiled on the site as “bigots” included:

Actress Katherine Heigl, who was put on the site after making a humorous public service announcement for the site Funny or Die promoting the spaying and neutering of pets. Register-Her charges her with “endors[ing] male targeted sexual mutilation.”

Feminist blogger Jessica Valenti, the author, most recently, of “Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness,” who was put on the site for several newspaper columns that the site misrepresents in an attempt to show that she is guilty of “an ongoing pattern of anti-male bigotry and advocacy for the eradication of constitutional rights based primarily on sex.” A Voice for Men has also labeled Valenti a “child abuser” for supporting feminist causes, and on one occasion posted candid photos it claimed were of her in an attempt to cause her embarrassment. If you look at the archived version of the site’s main page, you will see a picture of Valenti alongside photos of convicted rapists and murderers, all underneath the headline “Why Aren’t These Women In Prison?” Valenti has not, of course, committed any crimes.

A number of young women who attended a protest against Men’s Rights icon Warren Farrell at the University of Toronto. Register-Her used Twitter Tweets from some of the women, clearly intended as jokes, as evidence of genocidal intentions towards men. In an article on A Voice for Men, an anonymous writer even attacked one of these women for Tweeting a picture of a poster which declared “it is important to have someone’s consent before sexual activity.”

Site founder Paul Elam and other writers on A Voice for Men make no bones about their desire to ruin the lives of their foes. Indeed, the site’s much-referenced slogan is “Fuck Their Shit Up.”

In one post, Elam warned one critic of Register-Her that:

I find you, as a feminist, to be a loathsome, vile piece of human garbage.  I find you so pernicious and repugnant that the idea of fucking your shit up gives me an erection. …

[Y]ou  fucking moron.  Your only real hope is to keep your mouth shut and pretend AVfM and register-her.com does not exist for as long as you can. Because, as you can see right now, anything you say or do will be thrown back in your face like holy water on a vampire.

We are coming for you, and we are coming for all the liars out there that have been ruining people’s lives with impunity. …

You are SO fucked.

Register-Her was clearly a major part of Elam’s program to “Fuck Their Shit Up.” The “registry” was heavily promoted on A Voice for Men, which linked to a number of “featured offenders” in its sidebar – all of them so-called “bigots,” none of them the criminals that Register-Her claims to really be about. A banner ad for Register-Her depicts a bloody knife. The tagline: “TRUTH is the real bitch.”

Elam’s idea of  exposing the “truth” seems to involve publishing photographs and the personal information of his targets, whether these are alleged “false accusers” or simply feminists who have offended him. On the A Voice for Men internet radio show, Elam promised that:

If Mary Jane Rottencrotch out there wants to say that her husband beat her just for the sake of gaining leverage in a divorce he will now have a resource where he can come and post your name, your picture, your work telephone number, your address, perhaps even your route you take to get to work, if you bother to have a job.

While Elam has yet to make good on the threat of posting information on women’s routes to work, posts on A Voice for Men promoting the profiles of so-called “bigots” are filled with threatening language and vague intimations that further information will be revealed. In a post announcing the site’s campaign against the University of Toronto protestors, Elam wrote this about one of his targets:

We have her image and know her general location. We will identify her and profile her activity and name for public view.

We will not stop there, or just with her. And while we will not publish our complete intent, we are dogged in our efforts. …

We have no more sympathy for your agenda of hatred and exclusion than for a plantation owner’s rationale in the Antebellum South for justified ownership of another human being.

A Voice for Men’s posts about the targeted women are also filled with bizarre and hyperbolic accusations. In a post about a college student who had jokingly Tweeted that her “political position” was “kill all men hail satan,” and who in another tweet suggested she might get a tattoo reading “misandry,” one of A Voice for Men’s many pseudonynmous “agents” wrote:

She doesn’t just hate men; doesn’t just want them dead or silenced or marginalized or ignored. She at least entertains the idea of permanently marking her skin with that hatred, like a convict signaling gang affiliation.

“Agent Mauve” makes clear that he hopes to ruin the life of the young woman by putting her on Register-Her:

[T]his will be the beginning of [name removed]’s real legacy; where she can revel in the full and permanent notice of her deeds, and the lesson she is providing to the world about the nature of feminism, and the etiology of hatred. And so that anyone who ever does an internet search on her name again will be aware of it.

So far, A Voice for Men’s campaign against the Toronto protesters seems to be having what one can only assume is the desired effect. On A Voice for Men’s Facebook page, a commenter refers to one of the protesters as an “evil twisted little piece of dogshit,” adding: “I hope she suffers a fatal injury before she can go out and ruin peoples’ lives like she seems determined to do.” This comment earned several “likes” from A Voice for Men’s readers.

In the Spring of 2012, Register-Her was profiled by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights organization that tracks hate groups, as part of a larger feature on the so-called “Men’s Rights” movement. Writing in the SPLC’s Intelligence Report, Arthur Goldwag described Register-Her’s modus operandus and its effect on one targeted woman:

Elam’s site can be frightening to its targets. In one case, he offered a cash reward to the first reader to ferret out a pseudonymous feminist blogger’s real name. In another, Elam singled out a part-time blogger at ChicagoNow who describes herself as a “vegetarian park activist with two baby girls.” The woman’s mistake was to write about her discomfort with male adults helping female toddlers in the bathroom at her daughter’s preschool. The blogger conceded that she was being sexist, but wrote that “I’d rather be wrong than find out if I’m right.”

After the woman was listed, she was widely attacked on men’s movement sites. “I don’t always use the word ‘cunt’ to describe a woman,” one poster raged, “but when I do it’s because of reasons like these.” Shocked, the “Mommy blogger” took down her original post and apologized for her “demonization of men.”

It wasn’t enough. “You targeted fathers, and just fathers,” Elam rebuked her. “It strikes me that you have never really been held to account for any of your actions in life. It is quite likely that the concept of complete, selfless accountability is just completely foreign to you.” Over at the Reddit Mens Rights forum, another poster fumed: “This entire episode should be a warning to all those male hating feminists out there who believe that they are safe screaming their hate messages on the web. Finally, they are held accountable for their hate messages and finally the rest of the world will find out exactly what type of depraved people they really are.”

That’s hate, and that’s precisely the sort of reaction Register-Her seems designed to provoke.

I encourage readers to link to this piece on their websites, so as to make sure that people understand what Register-Her was really all about.

blitzgal

Again, when Kate Harding referenced this behavior in her recent post on Jezebel, several people in the comment thread expressed shock and disbelief that this kind of harassment could possibly have happened.

cloudiah
Falconer

Next on Discover: Astonishing discoveries about the fundamental properties of water!

viola

What exactly does “complete, selfless accountability” look like? How can answering for what you have done be selfless?

You are accountable to those you have a duty to. That’s what the word means. The tenant is accountable to his lord for the payment of rent; the lord is accountable to his tenant for protection. Each holds the other accountable for their part in the arrangement.

Doing your duty is not selfless. Keeping your word is not selfless. Refusing the consequences of your actions is usually done selfishly, but it doesn’t follow that accepting them is selflessness. It’s honour, or integrity, or being a goddamn grownup about life.
Selfless is the wrong virtue. It doesn’t apply.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It means that Elam is a terrible writer.

Falconer

“I don’t always use the word ‘c***’ to describe a woman,” one poster raged, “but when I do it’s because of reasons like these.”

Stay hateful, my friends.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Also a terrible person, but we already knew that. It is funny how he monologues like a cartoon villain, though.

titianblue
titianblue

Paul Elam is definitely in love with his own voice. Could do with an editor, really, to rein in those florid tendencies.

hellkell
hellkell

I hope that PaulE gets a long-overdue blast of self-awareness for Christmas.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

I’d volunteer for the job – the purple prose makes my soul bleed – but I’d probably get denounced as a “misandrist ***** who denies mens’ right to expression”.

Whereas his terrible writing style denies him his own right to expression, but, y’know.

Shaenon

Elam, if you’re reading this, and I’m sure you are: add me to Register-Her. I want to be on it. I want Register-Her to become known as the place all the awesome women are at, and inclusion on the site to be a badge of honor. You’re halfway there already.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The problem is that the only people who would volunteer to be Elam’s editors would be as ridiculous as he is.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Imagine the interview.

Elam – So, do you think my writing is perfect and all my ideas are amazing?

Applicant – Um, no? Which is why you’re hiring an editor?

Elam – What? You think I’m not perfect? Misandry! I’m going to register you!

Applicant – But the job listing said…

Elam – Silence! You will leave now, and I will masturbate over the thought of the revenge I shall enact upon you for questioning my selfless perfection.

clairedammit
clairedammit

CWS, I didn’t read the blockquoted part of your comment and thought you were volunteering to give Elam a blast of self-awareness.

carnation
carnation

Serious question… Do you think Elam/Otter and co actually believe what they write?

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

@Clairedammit

I don’t think I have quite the skills for that, although I will volunteer to give him a blast with a garden hose.

titianblue
titianblue

I’m wondering if I have the courage to join Shaenon’s “I am feminist Sparticus” move ….

cloudiah

I think we should begin a campaign to get Shaenon registered.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’d like to see Elam get Lego Diarrhoea, since he’s so keen on people having their shit fucked up.

Historophilia
Historophilia

I second Shaenon, clearly if you’re on Register-her you’re on the right track.

My general rule of thumb is that is someone gets angry at the fact that you are a feminist then that person is exactly the sort of person you want to be making angry. In order to push their blood-pressure up. In order to hasten their death from coronary arrest.

Elam! Elam! Pick me! Oooh me! Me!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

It’s a wonder Elam hasn’t had a coronary already, given his permanent rage at live in general.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

*life

titianblue
titianblue

Ok, list for getting on register-her:

1. Has vagina – check
2. Goes out in public – check
3. Has opinions – check
4. Swears – check
5. Swears at men – check
6. Filmed swearing at man – bummocks!

Anyone lend me a camera?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The way it seems to work is that he walks around in a state of rage most of the time, and then when he goes off on one of his rants it’s like releasing some of the air on a pressure cooker – it makes him feel better. If his venting ends up causing harm to other people? Eh, who cares, they’re only women.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

::click::

::whirr::

Okay, start swearing!

But you have to look like this.

titianblue
titianblue

Adorable kitty – I’m smitten by that kitten!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

It just struck me it’d be even funnier if that kitten was swearing in a Scots accent, being a Scottish Fold and all.

Say, Elam claims to be married, doesn’t he? I don’t even want to imagine what it would be like sharing space with someone that angry at the world. (Not even half the world, since he hates men who don’t hate women, too.)

Amused

I’m sure Mrs. Elam is ecstatic to be treated like shit, because her husband has commanded her to.

longshan gui
longshan gui

His fourth marriage. He’s very fond of marriage.

josephine
josephine

Can’t he be reported for harassment? Invasion of privacy? Something?

Falconer

Note to self: For God’s sake, whatever you do, don’t piss off Kitteh’s!

still_cant_sleep
still_cant_sleep

So have any of those registered there been harmed?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LOL LOL don’t worry, Falconer, you is safe!

Shaenon

I’m sure that at some point in my life someone made a comment about feminism and I sarcastically replied, “yeah, booga booga, we sure do hate men,” so I’m qualified for Register-Her. Plus my cat is fixed.

Shaenon

I once fought G.I. Joes at a cosplay photo shoot. I was a Dreadnok. That’s got to count for something.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

My vet once yelled at my (neutered) cat Magnus “I’ve no sympathy for stupid cats that get into fights!”

Good thing my vet was a man, he’d have ended up registered if he’d been a woman spouting such MISANDRY.

josephine
josephine

I was eating lunch next to some feminists today, I know because they didn’t invite me to sit with them. I was so pissed off.

cloudiah

That’s it, YOU’RE ALL REGISTERED.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

But who registers the register-hers? QUI IPSOS REGISTERERS?!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Where is everybody? Too busy doing things to get registered? Having a case of the Mondays? Watching cute animals?

Guess I should watch the fish then, they are being hilarious…I think that danio is trying to school with the cories…silly danio!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m eating Tuesday lunch, tweaking my blog and flicking between here and several other tabs … oh and even squeezing in a bit of work in between. 😛

clairedammit
clairedammit

I just made dinner and made my husband clean up the kitchen afterwards. Misandry!

cloudiah

I feel like Oprah.

Also, AVfM appears to be down. Maybe we’ve been registering too many people?

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Tugley — “quis custodiet ipsos scribis” — I had to use scribes instead of registers, but close enough.

I kept the original weirdness, “quis constodiet ipsos” is weird, it literally means who guards those who watch/scribe/etc. I’d have used “qui considerat scribis” for a less poetic “who watches the scribes”.

pecunium — is “quis [verb] ipsos [noun]” late Latin or something? I’ve almost never used ipsos, except as a comparison to iste.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I have this lovely image of a crowd of Man Boobzers landing on AVfM … WHUMP! Squished Elam. Don’t forget to scrape it off your shoes.

The First Joe
The First Joe

While I think putting actual convicted criminals on Register-Her is a useful resource, as in: “Danger! avoid these people!!”…The whole “bigots” thing is getting spread a bit fucking thin.

For instance: I watched the Katherine Heigel video: it’s so obviously a joke. Tongue-in-cheek. Hamming it up. I have no idea as to her real opinion about balls, but that video isn’t it. I laughed. Really. It was funny. The comedy of cringe, sure, but I wasn’t offended.
I know saying that will put me on Paul Elam’s to-be-shouted at list (looooong old list) but so what?

Contrast that with Sharon Osbourne’s utter unfeigned delight at a bloke’s actual, real genital mutilation (the fella who tried to divorce his wife – Catherine Becker – so she cut his dick off and ground it up in the garbage disposal) on network TV’s “The Talk”…
And Sharon’s utterly fake “apology” for that.
Osbourne really, really is a misandrist bigot who took freakish joy in someone else’s misery and seems to have a bit of a fantasy fixation on dick-chopping. Nasty.
And boy, did the unseen-karmic-hand-of-the-universe come around quick for her! Ouch.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Oh, jesus tapdancing christ, they’re on about Sharon Osbourne. AGAIN. She apologized and AFAIK, hasn’t said anything like that since. But who cares about the truth when there are dead horses to beat, amirite?

KathleenB
KathleenB

joe: Do you know Ms Osbourne personally, that you’ve decided she’s a horrible misandrist? Or have you decided her entire character based on one thing she said, that she apologized for, a few years ago?

cloudiah

Well, to be fair KathleenB, there was that motion before the National Board of Directors of NOW:

Be it resolved that the National Organization for Women (NOW) hereby commends and endorses Sharon Osbourne, who shall henceforth be known as the Queen of All Feminists and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, and further that NOW calls for all women in the United States to tell at least one castration joke — preferably based on a real incident — per day, and to loudly guffaw in public. Preferably on the set of The View, noted official feminist venue.

Passed unanimously.

KathleenB
KathleenB

cloudiah: Dammit, why the hell am I not getting the minutes of these meetings! Aren’t all feminists supposed to get a lifetime subscription and a copy of the Feminist Hive Mind Dictatorship Manual?

1 2 3 16