antifeminism crackpottery men who should not ever be with women ever MRA oppressed men reddit whaaaaa?

What?! Men’s Rights Redditor blames Newtown school shootings on Title IX

Over on Reddit, Men’s Rights subreddit regular 0bvious_Atheist has offered the most, well, inventive explanation for the Newtown school shootings I’ve seen thus far. Apparently channeling the old Man Boobz troll NWOslave, he argues that they were the result of … Title IX.

MRobviousAtheistonTitleIXandshootings

The only good news here is that this theory was too weird and opportunistic for even the Men’s Rights subreddit, and 0bvious_Atheist’s post got many more downvotes than upvotes.

Also, the 4Chan thing hasn’t been confirmed by any reputable media source. Here’s something from the not-exactly-100%-credible Daily Mail on it is definitely a fake.

Thanks to r/againstmensrights for pointing me to 0bvious_Atheist’s post.

Ooh, your kitteh is a lovely torbie!

I don’t think it’s irrational at all to find a very low chance of ALL YOUR SKIN PEELING OFF to be unacceptable.

Argenti Aertheri

That’s pissed off? I’d have taken that as “that strap thing there…the dangling bit…that’s a toy right?”

And I have extra reason to be nervous here — I’ve had shitty luck with side effects (those black box suicide warnings? I seem to hit all of them, to varying degrees of dangerousness)

I’d settle for “ridiculously unlikely” though, eg it’s ridiculously unlikely I’ll be killed by a rouge giant hailstone (yes, that has happened)

Argenti Aertheri

Thanks katz! Everyone else finds it unacceptable that it bothers me this much, so I am taking the danged pill. Mostly because my not-really-an-ex pharmacy student “ex” thought I should, and I trust zir. (See, one of those “made me suicidal” drugs, ze and I both thought it a bad idea and I tried it anyway, that was the point that ze’s opinion got put before my previous psych’s)

*pets the kitteh* (the actual cat, not you kitteh, that’d be a bit weird XD)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I shall pass on the compliments to Mads and Fribs … though I’m sure they’ll be received with a smug look and “I know” at best. 😉 We’ve had good news with Fribs’ health, too. Those pills she’s taking are for hyperthyroidism and she seems to be responding to them. Now we just have to get yet another blood test to make sure she doesn’t have kidney trouble, since hyperthyroidism can mask that. ::passes cap around for donations to the Veterinary Retirement Fund::

Katz, totally agree, any chance at all is too much!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

LOL no, if Mads thought the strap was a toy all I’d have got in the photo was a blur of disappearing cat. This was “You’ve taken several already so STOPTAKINGMYPHOTO.”

Argenti Aertheri

Ah, I should’ve guessed, considering how many photos I have that are blurs of puppy or cat. As for donations to the cat fund, try a kickstarter or similar? Funds for sick animals seem to do really well.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I should do that! I keep telling those two they’re gonna have to get jobs, but they don’t listen. It wouldn’t be so bad, but with psychologist’s and osteopath’s fees and my *&^^% monthly train fare as well, the bank account’s looking a bit anaemic at present!

Whoot, time for me to head home. Niters to all who’ll be in bed by the time I’m online again! 🙂

quantumscale
quantumscale

Is it lamictal? I’ve been on it for over 5 years now without any complications, and it has definitely helped me. With any drug, you have to weigh the risk against the benefits, but don’t forget that the benefits can be substantial. It’s easy to get lost in a long list of side effects, but these drugs wouldn’t get approved if they weren’t effective at least some of the time.

Argenti Aertheri

quantumscale — yeah, it is. Like I said, the pharm student not-really-an-ex thinks it’s worth the risk, and ze both knows pharm. and put up with me daily for months. I’m still on the working-up-to-full dose though, so we’ll see. Wary as I am, I am giving it a shot.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Wow, Argenti, that is a disturbing risk. It’s good you have your not-really-an-ex to trust for advice. I am hoping that it truly is the sliver bullet you are looking for.

See ya, Kitteh! Kiss your bosses on the head for me when you get home.

Also, I want to apologize for dropping in and out like I have been lately. I’m actually still here, it’s just that I’ve been feeling like crap lately and when things flare up, I’m too stupid to comment. I feel bad because I want to say I’m sorry for someone’s troubles, or compliment someone on their pretty kitty, and all the words come out in the wrong order and I end up erasing them. I went to the Dr. about 10 days ago and I have an ovarian cyst that’s hard to see because I also have fibroids between the cyst and the outside world. My doctor was so focused on making sure it’s not cancer (since then I’ve had vials and vials of blood taken, an ultrasound, and a CT scan – so far so good) that both of us forgot to discuss symptom relief. So, anyway, that’s what’s going on with me.

Argenti Aertheri

claire — idk if we’ve really spoken before, but I wish you the best and hope you get some relief soon. And thank you.

cloudiah

clairedammit, no need to apologize ever. I hope your health issues get taken care of ASAP. Take good care!

clairedammit
clairedammit

Thank you both! Argenti, I remember you from back in the day, but I was more of a lurker then. It’s good to have you back.

I’m just grateful that the Dammit household has resources – good health insurance, a financial cushion, each other – that this will just be a temporary setback.

lowquacks
lowquacks

@kittehhelp

We don’t do fraternities or sororities in Oz, either, as far as I know.

Well, not technically, but residential colleges, particularly at sandstone universities and universities where most students would live close enough to commute, are similar in many ways. Semi-exclusive, incredibly expensive accomodation, rituals and a sense of history, dumb rich-kid conservative havens, and elaborate and awful hazing that is largely covered-up and excused (imagine the fuss that would’ve been kicked up about shit going down at Sydney Uni colleges if it had happened with public high school kids in Redfern), and a general polarising effect on student opinions.

Sydney Uni’s are the most generally revolting, but I’ve heard various universities have similarly douche-filled accommodation options for the overprivileged and underwhelming.

lowquacks
lowquacks

rouge giant hailstone

Sounds pretty!

quantumscale
quantumscale

Just realized how much I sound like a pharma shill in that comment. Sorry, that was not intentional! Just personal experience. And it took me far too long to find a mix of meds that works for me.

That sounds very stressful, claire. I hope everything turns out ok.

Argenti Aertheri

quantumscale — don’t worry about it, I was not-dating a pharm grad student with a psych BA, I’ve heard it all before! Thankfully ze’s not a walking pharm ad, just smart enough to konw when I have an incompetent/competent psych.

lowquacks — goddamned combinations of typos and spelling! And what did I miss about shit going down at Sydney Uni? Was that while I was on haitus, or local news?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Argenti

Probably only Australian news. Would’ve been mentioned only very briefly here by kittehhelp or magpie perhaps. Since I began studying at Sydney Uni at the beginning of this year:

-A bunch of men at one of the colleges forced a young woman who wasn’t even meant to be participating in the initiation rituals to drink a cocktail containing dog food and shampoo, putting her in hospital and nearly killing her. There was a brief floor-wide suspension, but very little further punishment: seven of those involved now hold positions of importance at the colleges. They’ve now founded a group called “Justice Group” or similar to complain about briefly being denied the opportunity to run for student council, with t-shirts featuring the college’s eagle mascot throwing up.

-A “British Raj”-themed white tie dinner was held at one of the (exceedingly Anglo) colleges, with Indian and Pakistani waiters specifically hired for the occasion.

-A lounge has been set on fire and windows smashed.

-A pro-rape Facebook group and soccer team, “Define Statuatory”, were created.

-One student from one of the colleges tried to start a “Men’s Rights” type student group.

chocominties
chocominties

I think you’re much braver than I. A doctor prescribed me a pill that had sjs as a side effect and I refused to take it.

But I’m taking a pill with a risk of leukemia. Somehow horrible cancer in my body is less of a risk to me than all my skin falling off. (I think the literature from the pharmacy phrased it as “coming off in sheets.” *shudder*)

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

@Argenti

I’m on an SJS-side effect drug too. The “coming off in sheets” part was a bit unnerving, but the other option was a drug that my mum, who’s a doctor, immediately said “Nope, I have a patient that now sticks hir tongue out like a lizard every few minutes as a side effect and it’s permanent“. And I was like, skinless is better than lizard.

Just watch your skin really really closely for changes in the first few months.

Argenti Aertheri

lowquacks — holy shit fuck damn, sometimes I really do wish there was a point of view gun, or at least an empathy pill or something.

chocominties — I figure two things: one, it’s a really obvious side effect, and two, my other option is ranging from suicidally depressed to bouncing off the walls and being a damned fool in the process. If it works half as good as everyone claims, it’s worth the <1% risk.

Nepenthe — mmm extrapyramidal symptoms — yeah, I won’t touch anything with that risk either. Because yeah, at SJS is manageable, the EPS set are all “sorry, but you’re fucked”.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Clairedammit – internet hugs if you want them! I do hope your health improves, and like cloudiah said, no need for apologies!

The bosses have been kissed on the head as per request. 😉

Lowquacks – thanks for that info, and yeah, *what* a surprise that Sydney Uni goes in for that sort of society shit. No surprises about the other abuse stuff, either. I knew about the Facebook page (which is one of the reasons I loathe Facebook – they wouldn’t take it down) but not about the other things. There was also the same mob – from St John’s? – putting up posters which I really don’t want to quote here, they’re too horrible.

Oh and I lol’d about rouge hailstones sounding pretty, I thought the same thing! Then I thought of that Palin parody/expose “Going Rouge” and lol’d again.

pecunium

SJS… Whew boy. I flirted with that once. Came much closer than I want to think about (it seems I am terribly allergic to sulfa drugs). Odds were, had I started to manifest SJS I was dead. It’s a nasty thing (and more common than people realise; if you have any dermatologic reaction to an allergen, it can happen). But most people don’t have a more than minor amount of skin involved.

The only parts of my body that weren’t reacting to the drugs were my palms, soles and scalp. Everything else was at risk. My dermatologist had reserved a bed for me in the burn ward, and notified the emergency medevac jet at Ft. Sam to be on a two-hour standby for the weekend.

He didn’t tell me that until the danger was passed, and I didn’t find out for some time just what the alert he put that plane on meant. That plane, has the top-priority of any plane in the sky. When it enters the pattern, everyone else waits (to include, so I was told, Air Force One), and the airport it lands at is closed until it takes off (because the patient is waiting at the end of the runway, and the plane just turns around and takes off… the only delay allowed is hot-fueling).

Sobering.

So yeah, SJS, something to keep an eye on. On the upside, if you don’t see symptoms (rash/hives) in relatively short order, it’s probably not a problem.

Holy shit, Pecunium! 🙁

Very glad you came through all that, but oy … terrifying.

pecunium

Kitteh’s: Chocominties – that’s horrible! What sort of cognitive dissonance does it take for researchers/pharma to think of stuff like skin coming off in sheets and leukaemia as “side effects”???

If it can happen, and the incidence is low enough then it’s a side effect.

If 1 person in a thousand could get it… it’s a side-effect, and some side-effects are listed with a lower rate than that.

And SJS is, generally, not life-threatening.

…Fuck, you can get it from sulfa drug allergies? This just gets more and more terrifying.

Argenti Aertheri

“Chocominties – that’s horrible! What sort of cognitive dissonance does it take for researchers/pharma to think of stuff like skin coming off in sheets and leukaemia as “side effects”???”

I can half answer that one — at least in my case it’s because the other option is a better chance of offing myself. Like, <1% versus about 5% (for that drug’s Dx, about 5% for the other drug’s Dx too…but that drug is way less likely to kill me).

pecunium — EGADS! And damned am I glad you survived that alright, you rank among the few people who can actually make me have to think, hard, about something — I like it. Thankfully I’m allergic to basically nothing, but now I’m curious, do you know the time frame from “reaction you might miss” to “OMGS ER NOW”? (I’m the paranoid sort, which I’m sure isn’t news to you!)

Hilariously, the one thing I am allergic to? Malachite green, aka the only chemical that kills ich (ich being basically the fish equivilant of “all your skin peeling off”, though its a parasite, not a reaction).

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

It’s the seriousness of it that boggles the mind for me, Pecunium. Rare it may be, life-threatening generally not, but it’s still major-league stuff. And leukaemia? Leukaemia as a side effect? Holy Ceiling Cat, Batman!

Argenti Aertheri

katz — you can get it from NSAIDs, but that isn’t particularly likely. The list of potential drug induced causes is frikken’ staggering.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

My apologies., Argenti. I’m getting so caught in the horriblosity* of these things and forgetting what the drugs are fighting.

*it’s totally a word

Argenti Aertheri

kittehs’ — don’t worry about it, you want irony though? It also comes with a suicide warning XD

And the way I figure it? At least this isn’t another round of “contraindications: bipolar” // “thanks for fucking me up worse” (oh yeah pecunium, I’m officially bipolar with a side dish of PTSD now, whee for proper Dx I guess? x.x)

pecunium

katz: You can get it from aspirin, or a food allergy.

It’s an overblown histamine reaction.

The time frame… I was unlucky, in that we all had a really good idea what was causing my reaction, but I had other symptoms. If we were wrong about the sulfa drugs being the cause, then the treatment wouldn’t be dealing with the underlying issue; and if that underlying issue was a pneumonic infection the side-effect of treating for a sulfa-reaction would have probably been fatal; in a lot more certain way than waiting to get the tests to rule out the infection.

I was the “victim” of having really good health care. I had something like $100-250,000 of retail medical care in 96 hours. I was allowed to stay in the hospital until I felt like leaving (I actually spent about two days more than I perhaps needed, but I’m not sure. It’s possible my dermatologist wouldn’t have let me leave any sooner; but when I said I wanted to check out, it was discharged in about an hour).

If you get a rash… don’t wait, go to the doctor. If you are oddly feverish/freezing, go to the doctor.

Do not wait, do not pass go, don’t even think about the 200 dollars.

smh

just

smh

::clunk::

damn, shouldn’t have smh’d so hard

Argenti Aertheri

As terribly unfun as that sounds, if I went running to the ER because I’m freezing I’d just end up living there — I am so not used to this New England weather! Oh…you said oddly…that I’m always cold is moot (warning, should we ever meet in person I’d advise against shaking my hand unless you want to shake an icicle, just saying)

But no, there is no “well this is interesting” period then I guess. Fun, remind me to stay out of the fish chemicals. At least I have decent insurance now (CT Husky, which is surprisingly decent).

Also, goddamned dude, you make me glad to just be a nutcase, at least the rest of me is fairly predictable!

kittehs — try not to break yourself shaking your head, however would the kittehs’ manage without your servitude?

pecunium

I was unclear.

1: This is in part because I am relating my onset symptoms.
2: I wasn’t saying “oh, I’m cold”, I was talking about thermoregulation issues. I was swinging from hideously hot, to freeing cold, for about 18 hours before I went in to the doctors (I thought I had a summer cold).

Here is the write-up I did at the time.

pecunium

As to the icicle issue, I am prone to cold hands (I have Reynaud’s, as well as Reiter’s).

When I think about it, I guess I am entitled to my 80 percent disability.

Argenti Aertheri

Mmm thermoregulation issues…of course I had to start it in flu season, here’s hoping no one decides to share that cold with me!

“When I think about it, I guess I am entitled to my 80 percent disability.”

I’d give you a back pat for figuring that out, but I’m mildly afraid I might break you (I kid!)

Argenti Aertheri

I’m reading your post now, and have one tiny complaint — “no offense to him, but he doesn’t look much more than 23” — *I* don’t look much more than 23 😛 (of course, it’s just starting to sink in that I’m only a few years shy of 30 and officially a frikken’ adult…)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Duct tape is a wonderful thing.

Argenti Aertheri

I repeat — GODDAMNED dude…I’m fairly sure if I were in your place I’d just have been begging them to kill me already and get it over with.

And if you think musak kills Mozart, you should hear my attempts at Brahms, my violin is not quite broken in enough for that yet!

Argenti Aertheri

And pecunium — my concern is that apparently with the lamictal it isn’t a quick reaction —

Nearly all cases of life-threatening rashes caused by LAMICTAL have occurred within 2 to 8 weeks of treatment initiation. However, isolated cases have occurred after prolonged treatment (e.g., 6 months). Accordingly, duration of therapy cannot be relied upon as means to predict the potential risk heralded by the first appearance of a rash.

So if I get the flu next year? Off to the ER apparently!

Opinion though, do I seem any saner? Or different in general? I haven’t really had anyone to ask as finals just finished so most everyone I know has been silly busy — and my parents are totally useless for such things, I think they’d prefer I was a zonked out zombie to be honest, my having differing opinions bothers them (not long ago my father screamed about how I must’ve been brainwashed into thinking the Jews didn’t deserve the Holocaust…I really do have fucking assholes for relatives)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

23? That’s old looking for medical staff/policemen/people in uniform generally.

::bangs walking stick on floor::

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

““Duct tape is a wonderful thing.” …well yes, but in this context? Wtf did you do, tape your head back on?”

Yup!

Pity I put it on back to front though. It’s making typing really challenging.

Argenti Aertheri

Well take it off and try again then!

pecunium

Merav tells me my ideas of what makes for, “not feeling well” are somewhat extreme.

pecunium

1: You don’t seem that much different. A bit more chipper, more quippy.
2: If you get a cycling fever, look for a rash.

4: Never introduce me to your father. Someone will get hurt.

::peel peel peel::

… that’s better. 🙂

Shaenon

I enjoy the logic of the original post.

1. It’s very important for men to maintain male-only safe spaces and drive women out by yelling at them until they leave.
2. 4chan and /b/ are two of the best, most cootie-free safe spaces available.
3. After spending time there, away from the pernicious influence of non-yelled-at women, men tend to commit suicide, go on murder sprees, or otherwise self-destruct.
4. This is women’s fault.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

What I want to know is, how did they build a tree-house out of internets?

Argenti Aertheri

“1: You don’t seem that much different. A bit more chipper, more quippy.” — good, the last drug I thought might be working was before I started here…idk if I ever mentioned this at the time, but I found y’all after I’d tried OD’ing, thanks to that drug (and the one before that turned me into a total zombie with no artistic interest at all)

“2: If you get a cycling fever, look for a rash.
3: The rash may move quickly. I didn’t have it at 0700. I had a measles like sprinkling at 1100. I was a giant strawberry birthmark by 2100.”

Thanks for the warnings, far more useful than my psych’s “if you get any sort of any skin thing” (when I’m apparently getting all the acne I didn’t get in puberty, I’m blaming the change in weather since I moved”

“4: Never introduce me to your father. Someone will get hurt.”

Aw, you sure? I promise not to complain, and I’m sure it’d be him (unless he got stupid enough to pull out his pocket “pistol” — he carries a tiny derringer in his pocket at all times) — he’s like 55 and walks with a cane, dude can barely stand up, you’d win that no problem! Of course, if I was okay with someone getting arrested for beating his ass, I’d do it my own damned self.

In seriousness though, I had thought introducing you two might be funny — to see him try and spout history and get schooled, and then make a claim about modern military men and get schooled harder…he has some interesting ideas on the modern military…