all about the menz awesome men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA narcissism rape rapey sexual abuse victim blaming warren farrell

Kate Harding Tells Men’s Rights Activists to Go Eff Themselves

middlefingercandles

You all need to go read Kate Harding’s bracing (and given all the recent doxxing bullshit, spectacularly well-timed) Jezebel piece titled “Fuck You, Men’s Rights Activists.” Here’s a sample:

Fuck you, first of all, for making it nearly impossible for decent men struggling with abusive partners or unfair custody arrangements to get the help they need and deserve. You have forever tainted those issues with your rage-filled, obsessively anti-woman horseshit, to the point where it’s become difficult for any rational, compassionate person to trust a man who claims he’s been screwed over in family court or abused by a female partner, even if he has. …

Fuck you for showing up every time women speak, especially about rape and abuse, and trying to make it all about you. Fuck you for derailing threads about the victims of Marc Lépine, a man who screamed about his hatred for feminists as he murdered fourteen women and injured many others, because you also hate feminists and want a fucking cookie for not killing anyone. Fuck you for making rape and death threats against young women who dared to protest a speaking engagement by a man who thinks little girls would enjoy being raped by their fathers if it weren’t for society telling them it’s dirty. Fuck you for whining about how unfair it is that women might wonder if you’re a rapist when you approach them out of nowhere, while completely ignoring how unfair it is that women feel the need to be on guard all the time in public. Or that if we relax and behave normally—drinking, dancing, dressing however we want—you will be the first motherfuckers in line to blame us for getting ourselves raped.

And it keeps going from there.

Thank you Kate, for putting it so well.

timetravellingfool

The First Joe- Not everyone prefers their modes of analysis to be quite so reductionist. There is room for the MRM to be both ineffectual as a political movement and to be harmful to individuals. And they manage this by de-legitimizing actual men’s issues by discussing them in a discourse so full of transparent vitriol for women no one with a sense of integrity would associate themselves with it. And their disturbing attempts to expose young women to attacks from angry, vitriolic men for disagreeing with them is harmful on an individual level without effecting any real ideological change. See, we can have it both ways. Yay.

Ice
Ice

@The First Joe

Дедер одјеби.

(@Everyone else

Sorry, but I’m sick and tired of this special snowflake and his Eastern European sh*t.)

Amused

@Ice: What’s “дедер”?

clairedammit
clairedammit

Also, what’s одјеби? 😀

Amused

@clairedammit: It sounds like some permutation of “fuck”, so if this is supposed to be some Eastern European language, I assume that’s what it is. Also, “од” is likely the equivalent of the Russian prefix “ot”, which means “away” or “off”. So, my guess is, “fuck off”.

No idea what “дедер” is, though.

Argenti Aertheri

“Judging by the suicide stats for men in the West as feminism took power over the last 40 years: Either this claim is a lie, or “feminist-help” is harming men – so, if it’s the latter, please stop whatever this “feminist-helping” is you claim. Thanks so much.”

Did someone call for a math lesson? Actually, this one is so simple we don’t even need math! Take a look — the rates by gender have been stable since the 50’s (I didn’t bother looking for earlier data, you did say 40 years after all). The rates by age have more elderly men killing themselves than young men, or elderly women, but there’s no indication if that’s a trend over time, or a stable rate — perhaps the rates by gender just peak at different ages.

And before you accuse me of protesting to much, you hit on a math question, and you should remember that I’m the one that just can’t resist those — I love math too much to let mathematical stupidity slide.

cloudiah

Might be Serbian? C’mon fuck off, per Google translate.

cloudiah

@Argenti, aren’t crime rates in general going down? Can we “blame” that on feminism too? 🙂

Argenti Aertheri

cloudiah — yes and no? Yes they’re going down, but only since 1990~ — after peaking from 1960~

See here for violent crime rates and here for property crime.

That’s US stats, I’ll dig up others if you like?

Argenti Aertheri

Here’s Canada with all types of crime lumped together. Same general trend though.

cloudiah

Well, if the drop in crime rates started going down in the 90s, then clearly that was caused by grunge music.

(I’m just making fun of the correlation/causation confusion our trolls have so often. They’re wrong on the facts, they’re wrong on the connections they draw from them — so much wrong.)

I wonder what’s responsible for that robbery uptick in the mid-90s.

Sorry, mid-2000s.

Argenti Aertheri

Idk, seems more like the 80s had a general drop, peaked again in 90~ and has been dropping since. I’d have to guess though — the article did have a few theories on the trend in general.

As shown in the charts above, reported violent crime nationwide nearly quadrupled between 1960 and its peak in 1991. Property crime more than doubled over the same period. Since 1993, crime has declined steeply. Several theories have been proposed to explain the cause.

The number of police officers increased considerably in the 1990s.[8]
The prison population has been expanded since the mid-1970s.[8]
Starting in the mid-1980s, the crack cocaine market grew rapidly before declining again a decade later. Some authors have pointed towards the link between violent crimes and crack use.[8]
One hypothesis suggests a causal link between legalized abortion and the drop in crime during the 1990s.[9]
Another hypothesis suggests reduced lead exposure as the cause; Scholar Mark A.R. Kleiman writes: “Given the decrease in lead exposure among children since the 1980s and the estimated effects of lead on crime, reduced lead exposure could easily explain a very large proportion—certainly more than half—of the crime decrease of the 1994-2004 period. A careful statistical study relating local changes in lead exposure to local crime rates estimates the fraction of the crime decline due to lead reduction as greater than 90 percent.[10]

And nawh, it wasn’t grunge music, it was the reaction to River Phoenix OD’ing — people stopped partying too hard 🙂

*crosses fingers on the html*

Argenti Aertheri

I think that “mid-2000s” corresponds to the beginning of the economic crisis — just a guess though.

Argenti Aertheri

And at least my html broke gracefully — that should be a numbered list, but apparently <ol> is not a viable tag, oh well, no big deal.

Cloudiah, crime rates fell in the 90s as everyone joined together in the MC Hammer Slide.

cloudiah

That would do it.

Argenti Aertheri

Question — am I recalling correctly that The First Joe was the one who tried claiming that genderqueer isn’t a thing and calling people cis is supporting communism? Or some similar shit? He is the one who got all pissy about ze/zir, right?

hellkell
hellkell

Joe can’t math and is yet again pulling stuff from his ass? I’m so shocked.

Argenti Aertheri

hellkell — that one seems to be a common MRM mistake, I’m not really sure where it comes from, but I’ve certainly heard it a few times.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I wonder what’s responsible for that robbery uptick in the mid-90s.

Sorry, mid-2000s.

Puddle of Mudd.

pecunium

Uncle Joe: @Morkawhatever – so if the MRM is a small movement, it can’t have the all pervasive effect Harding claims, can it now.

Opus Dei can’t have any influence. Nor could the folks at PNAC. Being small doesn’t preclude being possessed of ideas those in power find useful to exploit (divide and conquer, as it were: keep the larger groups separated into factions at odds, when they ought to be in cahoots against the greater problem).

But that’s your entire shtick; point out how x group is so much worse than y group, and none of them is as smart as you.

Only you aren’t all that clever, much less smart.

We can add statistically challenged.

Argenti Aertheri

“We can add statistically challenged.”

FTR, I consider that a standard feature of MRAs — they suck at math. Being accused of protesting too was amusing though!

*protesting too much

I can type, I swear! (Well, mostly, my left fingertips are kinda numb from 4 hours on my violin earlier XD )

Ice
Ice

*is late to the thread*

*has projects to grade*

Yeah. “Deder odjebi”, or Serbian for “do fuck off”. But any Cyrillic (and now Latin) literate Slav out there should figure it out. Which I’m guessing Joe is some permutation of, and seems to think he’s better than the rest of us, because omg, EST. Like you know, the good chunk of the rest of the non-English native part of the human race, who happen not to think they’re super special because foreign language.

Ugh, overreacting, need caffeine. *goes back to grading projects*

timetravellingfool

Yay, mystery solved!! And I’m glad you left us a day to try and solve it by ourselves- I feel I learned a lot.
On another note- gif savvy folks here- this must be incorporated to all regular responses:

Falconer

@The First Joe

Дедер одјеби.

Dammit, I wish I’d studied more Spanish in school…

timetravellingfool

@ Falconer- me too, but that’s serbian

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

TTF – that was an Owly joke. He said once that Spanish and Russian use the same alphabet. 😀

howardbann1ster

For seriously, if you have not cracked open the Big Book of Larnin, hie thee to the forums at once. (but don’t too much at once–it will seriously alter reality)

timetravellingfool

Ahaha, whoops! Sorry about that!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Who needs bad acid trips when they can read The World According to Owly?

Falconer: Well played.

Our entire site is quickly becoming incomprehensible to anyone who hasn’t been here for years, because you can’t go five minutes without someone mentioning dividing the country along the Mississippi or SCENTED FUCKING CANDLES.

howardbann1ster

And then I’m all ‘oh, just check the forums, there’s a glossary’ but it’s 50 pages long just for NWO…..

Falconer

Crud, I should have considered that in-jokes are in-jokes for a reason. Sorry, TTF. (Did you really think I would have confused the Roman and Cyrillic alphabets, though?)

Thanks, folks! I’m glad I could make people laugh.

Cryillic, Falconer!

timetravellingfool

@ Falconer- Haha, I knew I was missing something, but I didn’t know what. And apparently my typing reflexes were faster than my braining reflexes, so that was the best way I thought of to go ‘gah?’. Oh, AVFM welcomed Kate Hardign to the fold with this adorable piece:

I only sort of skimmed it, but so far this is my favorite part:

“Michigan NOW opposes forced joint custody for many reasons: it is unworkable for uncooperative parents; it is dangerous for women and their children who are trying to leave or have left violent husbands/fathers; it ignores the diverse, complicated needs of divorced families; and it is likely to have serious, unintended consequences on child support.”

In other words, fathers gaining shared custody might impact the amount of money divorcing wives can shake them down for.

Yes, they literally interpreted that entirely plausible explanation as ‘greedy women want your money, manslaves!!’ They don’t even appear to try anymore.

cloudiah

We should have a list of in jokes on the forums. When I say “We should” what I mean is that someone with a better memory than I have should create such a list. XD

Falconer

Cryillic, Falconer!

Damn my iron-clad allegiance to the reality-based community!!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

“Got-born privilege” needs to be added to the list. See, Joe, your unhinged rantings here have made an impact! They have occasionally amused us.

Falconer

I’d contribute, but I don’t think anyone’s ever approved my forum membership 🙁

David’s the only one who handles forum memberships, so you may want to bug him. (But the fora have been pretty dead anyway.)

cloudiah

Yeah, Falconer, click on David’s big red head up above to email him. You might have gotten into a spam filter or something.

cloudiah

BTW, I’m on my lunch break — where are the trolls?!? If there’s no troll-whacking to be done, I’ll have to search for recipes. I’m trying to get back into cooking after relying almost entirely on Trader Joe’s for my survival for the past 2 years. (Grad school + working full time = cooking seemed like a terrible chore.)

timetravellingfool

No trolls today, cloudiah :(.