disgusting women evil women hate hypocrisy irony alert life before feminism misogyny MRA music oppressed men paul elam princesses YouTube

American Women and Stupid Girls: Misogynistic Lyrics as Faux Social Critique

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards: Spokesmen for Clean Living
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards: Spokesmen for Clean Living

Listening to the Rolling Stones’ “Mother’s Little Helper” the other day, I was struck by how much the lyrics resembled a misogynistic MRA rant. Ostensibly a song pointing out the hypocrisy of suburban squares attacking the drug culture whilst themselves popping prescription pills, the song extends its “critique” to cover such subjects as the evil of women making cakes from mixes instead of from scratch.  (See below for videos of all the songs mentioned in this post.)

So you go from this bit of, ahem, social criticism:

“Things are different today,”

I hear ev’ry mother say

Mother needs something today to calm her down

And though she’s not really ill

There’s a little yellow pill

She goes running for the shelter of her mother’s little helper

And it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day.

To this:

“Things are different today,”

I hear ev’ry mother say

Cooking fresh food for a husband’s just a drag

So she buys an instant cake and she buys a frozen steak

And goes running for the shelter etc etc

Yep, that’s right. Mick’s as bothered by the frozen steak as he is by the dangers of tranquilizer abuse. By the end of the song, the hypothetical freezer-and-cake-mix-using mother has died of an overdose. Told you so!

Misogynistic rock songs aren’t exactly a rarity – hell, “Mother’s Little Helper” isn’t even the worst offender in the Rolling Stones’ disography.

But unlike more straightforward outbursts of misogynistic nastiness like, say, “Under My Thumb,” “Mother’s Little Helper” pretends to be something nobler: a social critique.

The blogger behind the wonderfully arch I Hate the New York Times blog pointed out to me in a tweet that a surprising number of old rock lyrics play this little trick. Taking the form of a “critique of today’s inauthentic & hedonistic society” they are in fact “directed at [a] specific shallow hussy.”

Along with Mother’s Little Helper, IHateNYT suggested I take another look at the lyrics to Paul Revere and the Raiders’ “Kicks.” And, yep, it’s basically the same thing: a critique of drug use in the form of a patronizing lecture to a young woman in search of “kicks,” starting out with this little bit of I-told-you-so, delivered with a sneer:

Girl, you thought you found the answer on that magic carpet ride last night

But when you wake up in the mornin’ the world still gets you uptight

It turns out that the song, written by the songwriting team of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, was inspired by the drug use of a male friend of theirs – though somehow in the song this specific man became a hypothetical “girl.”

And then of course there is the Guess Who’s American Woman, a sort-of critique of America’s “war machines” and “ghetto scenes” in the form of a long, sneering diatribe against a hypothetical woman:

Now woman, I said stay away

American woman, listen what I say

American woman, get away from me

American woman, mama let me be

Don’t come knockin’ around my door

Don’t wanna see your shadow no more

And on and on and on for a very long five minutes and nine seconds.

One of the reasons these songs sound so much like MRA rants is that MRAs like to play the same little game, dressing up their misogynistic sentiments in the form of “social critique.” Thus Paul Elam’s faux-environmentalist attack on female consumers, and all that talk about how single mothers and/or “picky women”  are going to bring about the end of civilization. Heck, some manosphere fat-gal-bashers even pretend they fat-bash out of concern for the well-being of the women they’re ridiculing.

It might be entertaining to transform some of these old woman-hating songs into critiques of woman-haters. “Stupid Girl” by the Rolling Stones might be a good place to start. I mean, seriously?

Like a lady in waiting to a virgin queen

Look at that stupid girl

She bitches ’bout things that she’s never seen

Look at that stupid girl

Those are real Rolling Stone lyrics, not a comment from NWOslave. Have at it.

Here are videos of all the songs I mention above:

cloudiah

About the only thing I HATE is reggae. Also, I have discovered that Gary Numan songs sound surprisingly good when played on an acoustic guitar.

ostara321
ostara321

I am generally a fan of just about any 80’s ballad, cheesy (as I feel most 80’s ballads are) or not. Which of course means I am an avid Journey fan and have a special place in my heart for Heart (hehe, see what I did there?). Neither of whom seem to have a crapton of super problematic lyrics, though I admit I generally tend to have a hard time sussing out actual words of songs so don’t always know all lyrics unless I google them. My sister is even worse with this, she used to think the Pearl Jam song “Daughter” chorus lyric was “Don’t call me butter”. When I realized that’s what she was singing much mockery and giggling ensued.

From an MRA perspective, I guess Heart’s “All I Wanna Do” is probably super misandric, what with all the spermjacking and slutty slut-ness going on.

hellkell
hellkell

I like just about everything, but for whatever reason, goddamn Mumford & Sons flips my bitch switch.

Shaenon

Ooh, how about “All That She Wants” by Ace of Base? It’s about spermjacking! Although the woman in the song is planning to have a one-night stand and leave rather than hit a guy up for child support, so maybe it’s okay.

Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable” brings up an interesting question: what about songs that have been covered by both sexes? “Hound Dog,” for instance, was originally a woman singing about a cheating man, until Elvis covered it and turned it into a man singing about a cheating woman. Which version is the misandric one?

(Correct MRA answer: both versions! The Elvis version because a woman is cruelly oppressing Elvis with her womanly evil, and the original because a woman is showing dissatisfaction with a man, and anyway she wouldn’t have these problems if she’d gone out with a nice guy like me.)

drst
drst

Speaking of the Murphys, they have a holiday song out (NSFW. It’s the Dropkick Murphys, so that may go without saying):

thenatfantastic

This conversation led me to look for one of my favourite albums (Raised On Synthetic Bitch Milk by Husbands n Knives) and I can’t find it anywheeeeeerrrrreeeeee. How am I supposed to listen to my bestest purveyors of misandry now?!

pecunium

I almost mentioned “All that she wants”. But it’s not quite evil… well unless you realise that a single woman will become a “welfare mother” and steal from ALL MEN, because taxes.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

Today in EvoDevo we learned about sperm-burgling lizards, who at least don’t hit you up for child support–because they steal your sperm to activate their parthenogenic eggs, not to fertilize your eggs.

It’s called kleptogenesis: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-general-topics/f5-general-discussion-news-members/f1165-glossary-project/f1168-glossary-completed-words/67223-kleptogenesis-cc-amphib-glossary.html

It is not the weirdest thing that has come up in that class. That honor goes to meiotic drive, where genes alter meiosis to make themselves more likely to be passed on. If they end up on the X chromosome, they can drive the population extinct by eliminating all the males.

… You know, it seems like biology might be misandrist.

freitag235
freitag235

Celtic folk-punk. (Pogues, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, The Men They Couldn’t Hang, et al.) Rockabilly Punk. Weird shit.

I’m quite sure that all of it is misandry, because when you get down to it, everything MRAs examine turns out to be misandrist.

jennydevildoll

Ok, I can give you “Stupid Girl” (thoughts on the Garbage song by the same name, similar themes about a shallow, social climbing person?). I can hand you “Under My Thumb” with a big bow on top. “Mother’s Little Helper” though, I thought was about the all-too common phenomena in the 50’s and 60’s of prescribing women tranquilizers and sedatives as a means of silencing their complaints – a form of misogyny on behalf of the medical industry. The bit about “burning the frozen steak”? Literal and metaphoric – pre-prackaged steak, pre-packaged emotions(via the scrips). Burning the steak parallels with the overdose in the last verse (she’s “burnt out”) I see it more as an indictment of the social expectations of women and things it led to. Though by no means am I suggesting the Stones were feminist, I think they just sort of stumbled on a feminist statement there.

“American Woman” – personifying a land or country as feminine didn’t start with this, but given that the bulk of our society no longer subscribes to animistic world views where that’s seen as sacred, maybe it’s time to put that metaphor on the shelf for now. Our current culture does not provide the context for this. BTW, the American system personified as a woman is used far more viciously (though with a point) in the Bakshi film most commonly found under the name “Street Fight”.

The Paul Revere & The Raiders song – honestly sounds like a double whammy. Changing it to a girl almost makes me wonder if they or their record company were concerned that if they sung this about a guy, it might be perceived as gay? So, sexism & possibly homophobia.

Flora @ Subspecies (@florasubspecies)

I would give American Woman a pass because (apologies if this was mentioned before) it was written on the spot on stage, which it is why it is so repetitive and basically non-sensical.

The Offspring’s Why Don’t You Get A Job: “I guess all his money, well it isn’t enough
To keep her bill collectors at bay
I guess all his money, well it isn’t enough
Cause that girl’s got expensive taste”

… but then they also reverse the sexes and his other (female) friend also has a boyfriend who is a mooching dick. So I guess the first half is telling it like it is, and the other half is misandry?

Up The Junction by Squeeze is clearly misandry:

As you can see, it’s about a beta male who gets his girlfriend pregnant sleeps with a spermjacking layabout. He has to get a job to support her and the baby, but within a couple of years she has left him, taken the baby and shacked up with an alpha soldier because the singer’s an alcoholic she’s a bitch.

I never thought it would happen
With me and the girl from clapham
Out on a windy common
That night I ain’t forgotten
When she dealt out the rations
With some or other passions
I said you are a lady
Perhaps she said I may be
We moved into a basement
With thoughts of our engagement
We stayed in by the telly
Although the room was smelly
We spent our time just kissing
The railway arms we’re missing
But love had got us hooked up
And all our time it took up

I got a job with stanley
He said I’d come in handy
And started me on monday
So I had a bath on sunday
I worked eleven hours
And bought the girl some flowers
She said she’d seen a doctor
And nothing now could stop her.

I worked all through the winter
The weather brass and bitter
I put away a tenner
Each week to make her better
And when the time was ready
We had to sell the telly
Late evenings by the fire
With little kicks inside her

This morning at 4:50
I took her rather nifty
Down to an incubator
Where thirty minutes later
She gave birth to a daughter
Within a year a walker
She looked just like her mother
If there could be another

And now she’s two years older
Her mother’s with a soldier
She left me when my drinking
Became a proper stinging
The devil came and took me
From bar to street to bookie
No more nights by the telly
No more nights nappies smelling

Alone here in the kitchen
I feel there’s something missing
I’d beg for some forgiveness
But begging’s not my business
And she won’t write a letter
Although I always tell her
And so it’s my assumption
I’m really up the junction.

ostara321
ostara321

I think Nickleback and Kid Rock are my “bitch switch” bands. Though on principle, I hate just about all country and all of Toby Keith after that monstrosity “Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue” was blared from many a car back in the early 2000’s. Even people I knew who didn’t seem to care much for country music would be all “AMERICAAAA! FUCK YEAH!” when that song came on the radio. It always made for a deeply grumpily ostara who would then get accused of being “anti-America”. I’d then have to explain my reasons for particularly caring for a song about killing people that had lyrics like, “we’ll put a boot in yer ass, it’s the American way”, which IMHO made the entirety of the American population look like a bunch of barbaric, warmongering douchebags. FUN TIMES (not).

I used to not mind country so much, even liked a bit of it, but now I have an intensely, visceral feeling of loathing whenever I hear country. This mostly extends to Ms. Swift as well, who I mind slightly less since a lot of her stuff sounds more pop-ish to my ears, but still also dislike because even though she writes her own songs and good for her and all that, I feel like they all sound the same and I agree with others that she has a mediocre voice at best. I’m guilty of liking bands/artists who from what I can tell seem like they are mostly terrible live (Shiny Toy Guns, The Naked and Famous) but they strike me as at least a bit different and not totally unoriginal.

Motty
Motty

All the best stuff is in trad. folk music. Wife cheats on her husband? Murdered! Girl turns down young man? Murdered! Woman exists? probably gets murdered. Something happens? Someone gets murdered. There’s a lot of murder.
Trad. folk is pretty much summed up by songs about murder, drinking or sex. Much better than all the contemporary folk which is all love ballads/break up songs. Boooooooooring.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Motty–that’s why I have such a fondness for “The Outlandish Knight”. The plot goes a knight seduces a young lady, and she takes her dowery and runs off with him. Then he reveals that he plans on drowning her and taking her dowery, and she ends up drowning him instead. She gets back home before anyone knows she’s gone.

So, yeah, murder, but it isn’t the woman who gets murdered, and she gets away with it and with running off with a guy.

Motty
Motty

I always find it funny when people complain about how rock/pop/rap is all about violence and drinking and sex, ‘unlike all the old music’.

Falconer

Frank Zappa
George Gershwin
Gorillaz
Old Blind Dogs
Paul Simon
Randy Newman

And that’s not my entire collection.

*Apparently it’s misspelled if you leave out the quotation marks.

Motty
Motty

I’ve been going to Fairport’s festival since a couple of years ago, it’s great fun.

cloudiah

I was trying to think whether I had anything truly misandric — and I suddenly remembered Leon Rosselson! I couldn’t find video of him playing this song, but here’s someone covering it (lyrics below):

Don’t get married, girls – you’ll sign away your life
You may start off as a woman but you’ll end up as ‘the Wife’
You could be a vestal virgin, take the veil and be a nun
But don’t get married, girls, for marriage isn’t fun

It’s fine when you’re romancing and he plays the lover’s part
You’re the roses in his garden, you’re the flame that warms his heart
And his love will last forever and he’ll promise you the moon
But just wait until you’re wedded then he’ll sing a different tune
You’re his tapioca pudding, you’re the dumplings in his stew
And he’ll soon begin to wonder what he ever saw in you
Still he takes without complaining all the dishes you provide
But you see he has to have his bit of jam tart on the side

So don’t get married, girls, it’s very badly paid
You may start off as the mistress but you’ll end up as the maid
Be a daring deep-sea diver or a polished polyglot
But don’t get married, girls, for marriage is a plot

Have you seen him in the morning with a face that looks like death
He’s got dandruff on his pillow and tobacco on his breath
And he wants some reassurance with his cup of tea in bed
For he’s got worries with the mortgage and the bald patch on his head
And he’s sure that you’re his mother, lays his head upon your breast
So you try to boost his ego, iron his shirt and warm his vest
Then you get him off to work, the mighty hunter is restored
And he leaves you there with nothing but the dreams you can’t afford

So don’t get married, girls, men are all the same
They just use you when they need you, you’ll do better on the game
Be a call girl, be a stripper, be a hostess, be a whore
But don’t get married, girls, for marriage is a bore

When he comes home in the evening he can hardly spare a look
All he says is, What’s for dinner – after all, you’re just the cook
But when he takes you to a party he eyes you with a frown
And you know you’ve got to look your best, you mustn’t let him down
Then he’ll clutch you with that ‘Look-what-I’ve-got’ twinkle in his eyes
Like he’s entered for a raffle and he’s won you for the prize
But when the party’s over you’ll be slogging through the sludge
Half the time a decoration and the other half a drudge

So don’t get married, it’ll drive you round the bend
It’s the lane without a turning, it’s the end without an end
Change your lover every Friday, take up tennis, be a nurse
But don’t get married, girls, for marriage is a curse

Then you get him off to work, the mighty hunter is restored
And he leaves you there with nothing but the dreams you can’t afford

cloudiah

And of course Billy Bragg, pretending that ALL MEN ARE ALWAYS VIOLENT ALL OF THE TIME, THAT LYING LIAR:

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I actually agree with jennydevildoll about Mother’s Little Helper. Don’t get me wrong, The Stones are giant assholes (every single one of them). but I don’t think “women suck!” was where they were going with that song. I think it was their attempt to be, like, serious adults for a moment.

The fact that it doesn’t entirely work is proof that the whole serious adults with a point to make thing is still a bit much for them to handle, even now that they’re retirees.

RE Nickelback, you know you can play multiple songs of theirs at once and you will discover that it’s pretty much all the same song? They are the band whose success I find most infuriating, and any time a musician says that zie likes them I lose all respect for that person. It’s like being a visual artist and saying that your favorite painter is Thomas Kincaid.

thenatfantastic

@Cloudiah, that is amazing. Could we post it every time a M’G’HOW turns up to whine at us?

@CassandraSays, I don’t think the intended message was ‘women suck’, it was just the implied conclusion so often reached by over-privileged dudes who like playing the ‘revolutionary’ but have the social justice awareness of mildly bigoted amoebas (see: Atheist Fanboys).

thenatfantastic

*M’G’HOW = man ‘going’ his own way, in case it wasn’t clear. I don’t want to afford them the dignity of pretending that they’ve ever left instead of hanging around whining.

Oh and I don’t think my paragraph to CassandraSays makes sense. Uhm basically you know when dudes try and act all rebellious but they just end up reinforcing the dominant norms in society and propping up the system they claim to despise, because it works well for them? That.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Acting like whiny children doing the “You can’t tell me what to do!” shit. They want to be at the top of the heap, not change anything about its structure.

teratomatastic

My god, I can actually contribute to manboobz comments! Emilie Autumn’s song, Thank God I’m Pretty could be MRA’s anthem for women if it was stripped of all the sarcasm.

The occasional free drink I never asked for
The occasional admission to a seedy little bar
Invitation to a stranger’s car
I’m blessed
With the ability to rend a grown man tongue-tied
Which only means that when it’s dark outside
I have to run and hide can’t look behind me

Every skill I ever have will be in question
Every ill that I must suffer merely brought on by myself
Though the cops would come for someone else
I’m blessed
I’m truly privilaged to look this good without clothes on
Which only means that when I sing you’re jerking off
And when I’m gone you won’t remember

Oh, lord
Oh, oh and when a gaggle of faces appears around me
It’s lucky I hate to be taken seriously
I think my ego would fall right through the cracks in the floor
If I couldn’t count on men to slap my ass anymore
I know my destiny’s such, that I’m all stocking and curl
So everybody thinks that I’m a fucking suicide girl

For the occasional champagne I never asked for
The occasional admission to a seedy little bar
Invitation to a stranger’s car
I’m blessed
With the ability to rend a grown man tongue-tied
Which only means that when it’s dark outside
I have to run and hide can’t look behind me

Hoping for blockquotes not to fail..

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ nat

Yeah, that’s exactly what I think happened. They were aimed for social consciousness, but it was a bit of a fail. In particular I think they might even have been aiming for “ooh isn’t it terrible what the medical industry is doing to women?”, but their innate assholery still shines through.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

teratomatastic – those are excellent lyrics! And yes, the MRAs would totally miss the sarcasm even though it’s as clear as a neon sign even in print.

thenatfantastic

“What they are doing to women is terrible! They can’t even cook properly any more, the poor dears! However will they cope when they can’t please their families, their only reason to exist on this earth, hmmmm???”

thenatfantastic

I’ve been meaning to listen to Emilie Autumn for ages, I’ve heard lots of good stuff about her. That will be my job for tomorrow.

Polliwog

This is pretty much spot-on.

As far as musical tastes, mine are…not really easily sortable by genre. There are some genres I am more likely to enjoy (folk, most things that fall under the “rock” umbrella, classical) and some that I am less likely to enjoy (country, rap, the sort of metal where people scream everything instead of singing) but there’s a good number of exceptions on both sides. (Well, except for the screamy metal – I can’t honestly think of an exception there. I just don’t like screaming very much.) Mostly I like music with some combination of (a) strong vocalists, (b) interesting melodies, (c) good use of vocal harmony, (d) creative or just well-made instrument choices, (e) non-stupid lyrics, and (f) a rhythm that is either interesting or just fun to shake my butt to. If it has most or all of those things, I don’t care what genre it’s in, I’ll probably like it; if it has none of them, I probably won’t.

inurashii
inurashii

Re: the Nickelback thing, I did that with everclear, who is even more transparent about it. I developed a habit whenever an everclear song came on of singing a different everclear song overtop of it.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

RE That Emilie Autumn song, particularly the bit about people thinking she’s a Suicide Girl…can I just say that my personal pet peeve with the whole Suicide Girls phenomenon is the fact that after that took off a lot of non-alterna guys decided that it meant that every alterna-looking woman they saw was must be a sex worker? GTFO my subculture, mainstream guys.

This is actually one of the main reasons that I toned down my own look. Got tired of fending off “so are you, like, a Suicide Girl?” approaches on the train, in the coffee shop, etc. I’d love to dye my hair wine red again and amp up the eye makeup, but it’s just not worth the hassle that you get some random dudes.

cloudiah

@Polliwog, what if the screaming and metal are in support of teaching you to make vegan pad thai?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I love metal but I have a hard time not pointing and laughing when people start doing Cookie Monster vocals.

cloudiah

More misandry! The Carter Family – Single Girl, Married Girl

single girl · single girl
she’s goin dressed fine
o she’s goin dressed fine
married girl · married girl
wears just any kind
o she wears just any kind

single girl · single girl
go to store and buy
o go to store and buy
married girl · married girl
rock the cradle and cry
o rock the cradle and cry

single girl · single girl
go just where she please
o go where she please
married girl · married girl
baby on her knee
o baby on her knee

single girl · single girl
she’s goin dressed fine
o goin dressed fine
married girl · married girl
wear just any kind
o wear just any kind

HER HUSBAND HAD IT WORSE!

hellkell
hellkell

So much this. Nickelback proves that you CAN be offensively bland.

And the Suicide Girl thing, Jesus H. I would love to go back to the look too, but like you said, not worth the hassle. It was bad enough in Seattle, I can’t imagine what it would be like in Texas.

whataboutthemoonz

Thing about EA is that all of her eras sound COMPLETELY different, so Google her discography and make sure you pick up tracks from each album. You may love Enchant but hate Opheliac. (Both have some wickedly vicious songs.)

Kakanian
Kakanian

>Tom Waits

Haha, me and my friends, we discovered Tom Waits when we were twelve. Must’ve been hilarious to have a group of twelve year olds trying to sing songs from “Frank’s Wild Years”.

Another band we discovered back then was Element of Crime. A nice band, but what makes them are their hilariously depressing and fairly poetical lyrics

“Tramway of Death”, which is… basically an extremly neutrotic love song.

Or this one, “Hands off my Paranoia”, about a guy suffering from a persecution complex.

clairedammit
clairedammit

This music has no lyrics, so I won’t even pretend it’s relevant to the thread – I just wanted to share. This is the music that got me to start playing the piano again. The solo arrangement of this piece was the first thing I memorized since I started playing again.

Khitty Hawk
Khitty Hawk

@teratomatastic

Hell, if you’re going to mention Emilie Autumn, try “Gentlemen aren’t nice”, which is entirely tongue-in-cheek about the very woman MRAs think all women are like, sung to a catchy-as-hell jazzy tune:

Once upon a time I thought
“What’s the one thing I haven’t got?”
There’s not a single thing in this world I couldn’t buy
That’s when a gentleman caught my eye

Once or twice we went around
But now I’ll tell you the thing I’ve found
You shouldn’t make your move until you know the price
Because gentlemen aren’t nice

Just because I won’t agree to take his arm
And I occasionally forget his name
He likes to call inclemency what I call charm
But I know they’re all the same

I think I’ve realized my first mistake
When he cried that his heart would break
I would have thought that I was worth the sacrifice
But gentlemen aren’t nice

Just because I leave him all alone for days
And go about with others of his kind
He dares complain about my evil ways
And drive me out of my — out of my mind

What I relate is hard to bear
I only endure it so that I might spare you ladies
I’m not known for my good advice
But gentlemen aren’t

So agreeable
Love ain’t a paradise
And if I told you once, I won’t tell you twice
Gentlemen aren’t nice

Gentlemen aren’t nice

lowquacks
lowquacks

Yeah, “Nickelback are awful” is a cliche but I’ll have to agree there.

@ostara

Fry & Laurie had a good take on this.

Kim
Kim

I think I would put up with the hassle (for a while at least) if I was capable of pulling off the look. I love the look but I feel like an imposter when I try it.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I used to do the Goth look (Suicide Girls probably didn’t exist then, this was the mid-90s) and carry it off okay – the Gary Oldman Dracula specs helped – to the point where it sort of showed even when I was in my horrible electric blue and stripey work uniform. Couldn’t really do it now, though. I’m a bit past the age where ultra-black hair goes with my skin, and on top of that, all the shops that used to sell the clothes seem to have disappeared. Alas for Mortisha’s …

… and I confess I like colours now. 🙂

hellkell
hellkell

I’ve toned down the hair and makeup, but I have more ink now.

Kittehs, you’re never too old! I was at the grocery store the other night (looking like hell, but whateves), and saw an older, 60ish woman walk in having white hair with purple tips, and she was even rocking a sequin top/black everything else rocker look. Gave me hope, bless her.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

White and purple hair! Gorgeous! I should do that when I finally end up going grey. (I mean, I’m almost all grey now but at 49 I’m not letting it through yet.)

The ‘too old’ bit is more about how the inky black hair looks against my skin. Used to be able to do it when I was younger – I’m fair-skinned – but as the skin gets a bit coarser and the dreaded rosacea cheeks more obvious, it just looks too harsh. It’s still dark, but a violet-based deep brown instead of black.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

<a href="This is a recent PhotoStudio pastiche of Mr K and me. It shows my hair colour pretty accurately.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Blast, just saw the html error after hitting send! Try again:

My hair colour

hellkell
hellkell

That’s a very pretty color.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Thank you! 🙂

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

Carly Simon once wrote a song about me.

1 3 4 5 6 7 9