kitties off topic open thread YouTube

Thanksgiving Break (With Kittens)

Smackdown!

Happy Thanksgiving, US-ians!

No misogyny today, just videos of cute kitties eating and falling asleep. I am going to spend the day eating and playing with kitties and finishing up season one of Doomsday Preppers. I don’t know why I’m so fascinated by people with delusional beliefs, but I am. And I guess most of you reading this are as well, huh?

Now the videos:

This one doesn’t involve eating or sleeping but, come on, it’s adorable!

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Thanks, Magpie! It seems Pristiq is fairly flexible. The doc was talking about taking it once a day, or every other day if it seems too much. He said to take it in the morning, but if it can cause nausea, dizziness and so on, I’m reallly thinking last thing at night might be a better bet. Dizzy spells and puking on the train are not the most appealing prospect!

thenatfantastic

“nothing that stupid should be that big” (or “nothing that big should be that stupid”)

And yet MRAs exist.

Hope you’re OK Kittehhelp, I’ve never had medication myself but it sounds like there’s a lot of people you can talk to on here if you need it.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

“And yet MRAs exist” – ROFL!

::high fives thenatfantastic::

Thanks for those good wishes. It’s a crappy old issue rearing its head again (damn you to hell, menopause) but I hope that between the pills and a good talkfest with this psychologist I’ll get better. And yeah – I’m kinda between “blinking back tears” and “bouncing around really happy” at all the support here. 🙂

thenatfantastic

People are a lot nicer than you give them credit for, I’ve found. I’ve been overwhelmed by support from people on the internet when I’ve had trouble in the past. I’ve seen psychologists in the past and probably had points where I could have done with medication but not been to see the doctors (because I, you know, couldn’t drag myself out of bed) but I’ve been alright for nearly a year now. Fingers crossed it’s for good!

In other news, the monkey sanctuary I have an adopted monkey at was hit really badly by floods last night 🙁 The monkeys are OK but their enclosures need urgent repair and the education centre is almost destroyed so I’m trying to think of how to quickly raise some money for them. I usually put on gigs to fundraise but I need at least two months notice, dammit.

lowquacks
lowquacks

@kittehhelp

Don’t say mean things about ratites! Emus are pretty safe to be around, really, if taken to eating weird things like keys. Think of them like cows – they could be dangerous, but probably won’t be.

It’s cassowaries you gotta look out for.

Magpie
Magpie

moa

lowquacks
lowquacks

Well, if you see one of those, that’d certainly be interesting.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Seeing a moa would be very interesting! Scary, but interesting, considrin’ …

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to cross a cassowary’s path. Seriously dangerous birds.

Okay, niters folks, I’m off to watch New Tricks! 🙂

hellkell
hellkell

Why’s that, Happy?

CassandraSays

Isn’t it a bit nippy to be sitting on statues in the buff? If our friend Tom is correct about men and their lack of weight-bearing buttock pads then chillblains are unlikely to improve the situation.

Happy
Happy

MRA MO… Tiny crowd (1), lack of preparation, attention seeking. Also some (3) MRAs have been active in England, they put a banner on a statue of a Suffragette some time in the past few months.

thenatfantastic

Happy are you thinking he’s F4J? I doubt it, they mainly stick to keyboard warrioring nowadays, after the schism when some of them got arrested during the Blair years.

They’re still despicable arseholes on the internet, (and when they’re trying to sue charities who point out that domestic abuse is bad) but at least there they’re not hurting any real children as they were planning to.

Plus, no superhero outfit.

hellkell
hellkell

Or 4) he’s a guy with mental issues that have nothing to do with being an MRA. You know, the simpler, more likely scenario.

Or a student, Hellkell.

hellkell
hellkell

That too.

thenatfantastic

I’m still trying to figure out where the cops thought the knife was.

cloudiah

Oh no! about the monkey sanctuary. I hope you figure something out — maybe just getting a sympathetic journalist to write about it with an address for donations would help.

@katz, I think technically the molasses and the syrup should be similar, with the molasses being slightly more concentrated. If what you find is dark red and thick in consistency, it should work.

thenatfantastic

They’ve gotten quite big in the past year (Stephen Fry has one of their monkeys) so hopefully they’ll be OK. I’ve sent them a small donation and told BoyFantastic he has to renew my adoption as my Christmas present 😉

Fitzy
Fitzy

Poor monkeys! Nat, do they have any online donation campaigns going on, like one on indiegogo? I don’t know how quickly they need the money, but something like that would be quick to set up and easy to publicize with Twitter and Facebook and the like.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I’m trying to figure out that princess cupcake poster. I don’t get it, and I read manboobz regularly. Free recipes for life? What the hell does that even mean?

I was happy yesterday when my mother in law asked me to give her my recipe for Watergate salad, though. I made sure and told her to remember the coconut, because some on the online recipes don’t call for it, and I think it is a crucial ingredient. I also fixed green bean casserole and stuffing for the get together, and we all had a great meal.

I think we discussed Watergate salad last year here at mbz, and since then I did find out that it was actually named after Nixon’s scandal. For some reason, I find that really amusing.

thenatfantastic

Yeah, Fitzy there’s some stuff on their website and Facebook, and they’ve been tweeting about it too. What that post doesn’t mention is that all of the volunteers and workers who live there also live in the flooded building 🙁

@thebionicmommy

I just looked up Watergate salad and I’m fine with it being named after the Watergate scandal, but where on earth do they get off calling that salad?!

Fitzy
Fitzy

Poor monkeys and poor monkey-keepers! Glad they have social media working for them. I hope they get everything funded and back into order soon. I can’t imagine how awful it must be to have your own home damaged while you’re simultaneously trying to soothe all of those poor, stressed animals. 🙁

Re: Watergate salad – we ate that at every family gathering during my grandmothers’ lifetimes (my paternal grandmother originally made it, and my maternal one loved it and got the recipe). We always called it Martian Salad, though, since it was green.

As best I can tell, nat, salads that contain very few actual vegetables tend to be a Southern thing here in the U.S.* If you go to a church potluck down here, there will usually be a least one bowl full of Jell-O mixed with canned fruit, celery, and pecans sitting on the salad table. I think it’s pretty good, but my raised-in-Illinois husband wouldn’t touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole, unless he could use it to knock the bowl off the table.

I know gelatin is not vegan-friendly, though.

*Anyone who knows differently, please correct me. I hate making sweeping generalizations and then coming out wrong.

M Dubz

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! This was the first year my cousins hosted, so I did not have to help my mother clean the house and set up for company for the first time in about 8 years, which was a blessing 🙂

Re: jello-based salads, I don’t think I have ever had one. Does anyone know what the etymology is of calling them a salad? They don’t seem to fit in with the other foods that fall under the definition…

I think it’s basically a salad in the sense of “mixture of stuff that isn’t subsequently cooked.” Think potato salad, pasta salad, etc.

CassandraSays

When I was a kid in Saudi a lot of people used the word salad to refer to salad greens rather than the finished dish, so seeing something with no veggies described as a “salad” sometimes really throws me off, because it sounds like they’re using “salad” to refer to a dish with no salad in it. Like if someone said they were going to have “pasta” and then described something that had sauce, sausage, etc but no actual pasta in it.

thenatfantastic

I’m with CassandraSays on this one, ‘salad’ has to have, well, salad-y bits in it. Frankly I’ve always been deeply suspicious of Waldorf salad, and that actually does contain salad. But I’ll try and remember what Americans mean by it in future!

Fitzy
Fitzy

Found a whole article about Jell-O salads! Turns out they’re not a strictly regional delight, but instead were a creation of industrial food makers back in the 1950’s. Their popularity seems to still be higher in certain parts of the country, though. Utah, Ohio, and Iowa were all mentioned.

So not distinctly Southern after all. I sit corrected!

Still don’t know exactly why they get to be “salads,” though. I think katz’s explanation is probably the best.

@ nat

Part of my brain goes all Monty Python, you know?

“Why is there no salad in this salad? How can you call it a salad if there’s no salad in it?”

thenatfantastic

That article is seriously breaking my brain Fitzy.

Jelly is sweet, and to be eaten with ice-cream.

Salads are made of lettuce and other watery raw vegetables.

I just can’t even begin to imagine what Jell-O salads are supposed to taste like. But I suppose the same goes for a lot of American foods. I have bought a cookbook from a vegan restaurant in New York though, so there’s some things I’ve been thinking of trying, especially when I get my hands on some vital wheat gluten.

Dvärghundspossen

@Fitzy: It’s not vegetarian-friendly either since it’s made of dead animals, not just animal products.

@ nat

Word of warning – a lot of people have a nasty reaction to wheat gluten in that form. I don’t think I have any sort of gluten allergy, at least in the sense that I’m fine with both bread and pasta, but gluten in the form you’re referring to makes me feel very ill. Every time I’ve tried to eat it I’ve felt awful for days afterwards – it seems to be hard for a lot of people to digest for some reason.

OK. I think I’ve got it.

When you say ‘salad’, you mean ‘terrine’. Right? Sort of?

@Cassandra

I’ve eaten it before, but it’s quite expensive to buy the pre-prepared stuff (seitan) so I’m going to make my own, but I have to remember to order the VWG first, I’ve had the book three damn months and keep forgetting. Oh oh also I GOT A NEW OVEN AND HOB today, the landlord actually did his damn job. They’re all silver and shiny 😀

Woo, enjoy your new appliances!

thenatfantastic

It was really weird actually Katz. The guy who fitted it is one of my next door neighbours – who I’ve never met before but once nearly called the cops on once over summer because there was so much screaming coming from his flat I thought someone was being killed. Until I heard this voice of pure, gutteral rage growling (with an Essex twang) “DANNY BOYLE, YOU FAHCKING UNPATRIOTIC CAHNT!!!” – it turns out he really didn’t like the part of the Olympic opening ceremony with the Queen lookalike. He’s so patriotic he has ‘God Save The Queen’ as his mobile ringtone and… well, we call our flat the anarcho-bunker and hung black and red bunting outside it during the Jubilee because we were so sick of Union Jacks everywhere, and the bunting’s still up because we went into a war of attrition with the local council and decided not to remove our bunting until they removed all theirs. We won and now we’re gloating.

So my oven might be rigged to blow up.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I use the term salad the way katz described, as meaning a cold side dish for a meal. If we’re talking about a salad that has lettuce, vegetables, and dressing, then that is a side salad. You can call it a salad, too, but side salad is more specific.

I wouldn’t call Watergate salad a Jello salad, though. It has pistachio pudding mix and Cool Whip, but no Jello, and it’s not made in a mold. If I had to classify it, I’d say it’s a dessert salad.

CassandraSays

But then what do you call a salad made with lettuce, veggies, dressing, etc, that’s intended to be eaten as an entree?

An entree salad?

CassandraSays

I don’t get how “side salad” tells you anything about the ingredients, all it tells you is that it’s a relatively small portion and not intended to be the bulk of the meal.

Polliwog

OK. I think I’ve got it.

When you say ‘salad’, you mean ‘terrine’. Right? Sort of?

I had to google “terrine,” and the results look nothing like any Jello salad/fruit salad/etc. I’ve ever seen (it appears to be something like a meatloaf?) soooo…not really?

I think it may be more accurate to say that when you say “salad,” you mean “green salad,” and when we say “salad,” we mean “some kind of mixture of a bunch of ingredients that you serve cold, generally as a side dish, which includes but is not limited to green salads.” So there’s green salad, but also pasta salad, fruit salad, three-bean salad, potato salad, and Jell-O salad.

(Also, I just ate Watergate salad yesterday, but until a few minutes ago, I had no idea that’s what it was called – in my family it’s “that green stuff.” :-p )

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

If it’s a big salad of lettuce, veggies, and dressing, then it’s a dinner salad. If you put ham or turkey on it, then it’s a chef salad. If you put chicken on it, then it’s a chicken salad. This is confusing, though, because chicken salad can also mean a mixture of chicken and mayo to put on a sandwich.

Or you can also just call it a big salad, like Elaine from Seinfeld.

thenatfantastic

Terrines are like quite roughly chopped meat and vegetables which are in a firm shape, so you can slice them evenly and sometimes held together with aspic, and eaten cold.

But I take your point in the next paragraph, I do mean green salad unless otherwise specified.

CassandraSays

Actually it occurs to me that to me “salad” implies “dressing”. So if someone calls a cold pasta dish with a vinegar and oil based dressing a salad that doesn’t seem too strange to me, but anything involving gelatin does.

Polliwog

If “salad” is left unmodified, we tend to assume it means “salad made of lettuce, veggies, and dressing.” In order to get another type of salad, you have to specify “potato salad” or “pasta salad” or whatever.

Polliwog

Okay, then that’s like a Jell-O salad only insofar as some (but not all) Jell-O salads are also made in a mold. Further googling shows me a terrine that does look kind of like a very fancy Jell-O salad: http://diethood.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/terrine-3.jpg Most Jell-O salads look more like these, though: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/09/grandmas_jello_salad2.jpg http://whenelephantsfly.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/how-to-make-a-delicious-jello-fruit-salad.jpg

It is actually fascinating hearing how everyone else uses the term “salad.”

Polliwog

<blockquoteIt’s interesting how we mentally classify this stuff. Going by the looser definition (mixture of chopped up things that isn’t cooked and is served cold), isn’t salsa a salad? But most people wouldn’t think of it as one.

I’d say the important distinction is that you don’t normally just eat salsa by the spoonful. Salads are dishes in their own right.

(This is actually really entertaining to me, trying to figure out under what definition things I’ve always called “salads” are salads. :-p )

Polliwog