kitties off topic open thread YouTube

Thanksgiving Break (With Kittens)

Smackdown!

Happy Thanksgiving, US-ians!

No misogyny today, just videos of cute kitties eating and falling asleep. I am going to spend the day eating and playing with kitties and finishing up season one of Doomsday Preppers. I don’t know why I’m so fascinated by people with delusional beliefs, but I am. And I guess most of you reading this are as well, huh?

Now the videos:

This one doesn’t involve eating or sleeping but, come on, it’s adorable!

Happy
Happy

Have a great TG Day, David!

popcornculturejunkie

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! *sending out hugs to those who want them* 😀

cloudiah

Cute videos! Happy Thanksgiving, all! Here’s my present to you of more terrible AVfM posters: http://www.avoiceformen.com/art/new-posters-for-fall-fun/

Happy Turkey Day!

ithiliana

Lolcats at Thanksgiving

Happy thankful day!

(I’m actually feasting on corned beef and cabbage, YUM) and am about to take the doggies on a walk!)

popcornculturejunkie

Food coma….that’s something I’m hoping to avoid this year. I’ve got more writing to do after the food binge. 🙂

Carleyblue
Carleyblue

It says in the link Cloudiah provided that GirlsWritesWhat (or however you spell her name’s) work has been picked up by ‘a number of university professors’ for discussion in the classroom, to which I have to say, I hope the discussion centres around how terrible (many of) her ideas are.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone who is celebrating it!

David only eats unicorns? Is he a unitarian?

leftwingfox

Happy thanksgiving americanos! I think I’ll celebrate by throwing out the last of the leftovers from Canadian Thanksgiving. That frozen split pea soup is probably VERY VERY bad, if the last batch was any indication.

Falconer

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Yanks out there! And I hope everyone else gets to eat something they like, too.

Falconer

Oh god, those posters. Quick poll: If I decided to nickname the Women’s Auxiliary of a group I belonged to “Honeybadgers,” how many women would actually feel like they were valued?

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

I’m in the UK, but I managed to finish work early and I’m waiting for BoyFantastic to come home and cook me thai green curry. I’ve just finished chopping all the veg and I’m basically going to eat like the cats in those videos.

Oh man, I would dig a Thai curry for dinner!

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Well I just fucking cursed myself. We haven’t had a working oven for six weeks due to shitty landlords, our hob gave up the ghost just as we turned it on to cook. Bloody thing.

Dinner is now chinese take-away. Fried beancurd with ginger and spring onion, more fried bean curd with black bean sauce, chips and rice.

I’m going to embrace this food coma for all it’s worth.

hellkell

Natfantastic, sorry about your oven. We’re going to visit a Chinese restaurant here in Austin that came highly recommended this weekend (good ethnic food except Mexican being thin on the ground in TX), and if it’s decent, we’ll keep our Christmas tradition of Chinese food alive.

Nat, that is terrible! If I were there I would bug your landlord for you.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Thanks Hellkell, I hope you find a good place for Christmas dinner 🙂

Don’t worry Katz, there was a very. pointed. phonecall. about tenant’s rights and the electrician should be visiting tomorrow morning.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

How is Christmas dinner in Austin not tacos? That way you could drink tequila too in an attempt to dull the pain of having had to listen to Christmas music for the previous month.

hellkell

We started the Chinese xmas dinner in Seattle. Tacos you can get any old time.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Happy thanksgiving, everyone. I made a porcetta turkey that rocked the shit and a lovely side dish of pasta with broccoli rabe. Um, yes, I’m an Italian-American.

Hope everyone else has/had a good day.

ithiliana

My partner is in Fl with her mum, and I’m at home gorging for several days on a corned beef and cabbage feast (cooked in slow cooker, SO easy), because she loathes cbc, and I love it, so voila!

And giving doggies extra walks, and sleeping in, and playing around on the internet in between writing a proposal for faculty development leave (Texas HAZ no sabbaticals) for SPring 2014.

Good times, good times.

Also read latest Pratchett, and have latest Priest for reading a bit later.

But admit am pouting at lack of Colbert and Stewart.

ithiliana

Posted too soon…heck, I’d be happy with reruns because work has been so miserable this fall we’ve missed a bunch.

Freitag
Freitag

X-mas dinner in Texas is homemade tamales! Om nom nom!

T-giving is smoked ham.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Ithiliana – which Pratchett is that? Snuff?

Kim
Kim

That “old boot” poster is stupid(er than they are by default). When I saw the title I thought it would be a pic of an actual worn out boot, but instead they have a very stylish boot of the kind I have seen in stores fairly recently.

scrapemind

MRAs are terrible graphic designers, but if I may pretend to be a woman, I’d like to say that, as a woman, I wouldn’t mind being a honeybadger. As a honeybadger, the honeybadger is really pretty badass.

Falconer

We picked up Terry Pratchett and Steven Baxter’s The Long Earth and it’s a lot more Baxter than Pratchett.

Amazon says Pratchett’s Dodger was released Sept. 25. First I’d heard of it. I am a bad fan ;__;

princessbonbon
princessbonbon

I have spent the day with a horrible tension headache. Stupid head.

I liked The Long Earth although it made me sad.

hellkell

Scrapemind, you may not pretend to be a woman, thank you very much.

trix
trix

Thanksgiving in Texas also means fajitas. And mashed potatoes.

@Princess. I get clinically strong headaches and the tension headaches (which lead to migraines) get their asses kicked by klonopin. It calms the nerves in your brain and help de-stress the muscles in your face.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’ve just been given antidepressants to try. 🙁

lowquacks
lowquacks

@kittehhelp

I’ve been on Zoloft-alike for nearly a month now and no real effect : . They’re odd drugs. Good luck!

@everyone else

Happy Thanksgiving to the USians here, I guess, though it’s a pretty racist holiday. The day it’d be on was yesterday here, and the American turkeys at the lovely wildlife park I went to seemed very happy and affectionate. What’s the bet they knew what’d be happening to them back in their motherland?

Also, emu chicks are THE BEST THING EVER. THE BEST. They’re cute and fluffy and nip you when you feed them but they’re so cute you don’t mind and they get jumpy and hyper and cute and they’re just fantastic. And the ones at the wildlife park remembered my friend and me when we came to the aviary a second time, and were there at the airlock doors excited to see us! These birds probably actually beat kittens in the best-baby-animal stakes.

/animal gushing (actually, probably not, but / for this post)

ithiliana

@Kittehs: It’s a NON Discworld novel (DODGER): set in Victorian London.

I did get THE LONG EARTH as well–and I have to say I like DODGER better.

ithiliana

@Falconer: I hadn’t heard of DODGER either–saw a reference somewhere online, and went BIZZUH?

THen snaffled it on my Kindle.

Am now addicted to Kindle.

ithiliana

Thirding the anti-depressants–I was lucky enough to have the first one take (way back when), and then, later, when it hit again, the latest version of the original one worked beautifully. BUt I’ve had friends who’ve had miserable luck with a number of them before finding one that worked.

hellkell

Zoloft helped me when I needed it. As for my chronic paroxysmal headaches (say that five times fast), Verapamil seems to head them off. Good thing too, because the Indomethacin was raising my blood pressure.

hellkell

lowquacks: YMMV, but Zoloft seems to take about 6 weeks to kick in. Those weeks can be… interesting until they do.

cloudiah

I think this is my favorite AVfM poster, just because IT MAKES NO SENSE. “Free recipes for Life” — I mean, WTF? I am seriously tempted to put these up in L.A. and then film peoples’ reactions to them.

Good luck to everyone with headaches and all the other stuff.

So I had an interesting Thanksgiving experience.

I forgot to add the sugar to the pumpkin pie.

It was still totally edible! Noticeably different, obvy, but not unpleasant. Doad didn’t even realize there was anything wrong with it.

Rahu
Rahu

@Cloudiah – the “free recipes” one is good, but my personal fave is the “broken record” one. Because, if I didn’t know AVFM, I would assume the poster was in favor of feminism, putting an end to the “broken record” of AVFM, since their web address is printed over and over and over and over, just like a …

cloudiah

Pumpkin is pretty sweet anyway! We were making roast delicata squash with toasted pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds, and honey drizzled on at the end — only when we took it out of the oven, there was no honey. Oops. So we drizzled pomegranate molasses, and it was delicious.

cloudiah

@Rahu, it’s hard to pick just one favorite. So many of their posters don’t make sense unless you at least know the file name, and most are totally unclear unless you actually go to the web site and read multiple articles. I am not an expert, but this does not seem like good graphic design…

Pomegranate molasses sounds great. Must be super strongly flavored, though.

cloudiah

@katz It is strongly flavored, hence the very light drizzling. You can get it at any number of Persian markets in my neighborhood, which also sell delicious honey-sweetened pastries… Basically my walk home every day is a minefield of sweet & savory temptations. You can also make your own pomegranate molasses, but I am way too lazy. I’m still figuring out good ways to use it.

Did you serve your unsweetened pumpkin pie with anything else sweet, like ice cream or whipped cream?

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

David, I drink a strong cup of coffee when I get a bad enough headache. Its either caffeine withdrawal, or dehydration that gives me a headache. Its a crapshoot if you’re dehydrated, or just off of the java, but hey, coffee does have antioxidants.

Everyone else had whipped cream; I think that’s why they didn’t notice!

I’ve seen pomegranate syrup at Super King; is that similar? I’m never sure if those are delicious concentrated fruit goodness or corn syrup with fruit flavoring.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

@Falconer & ithiliana

I just read The Long Earth too, I really enjoyed it. I’m getting Dodger (and allll the other Discworld books I’ve read but don’t own, plus A Blink Of The Screen) for Christmas.

It’s the most I’ve looked forward to Christmas since I was about TinyFantastic’s age XD

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Big thank you hugs to everyone for your support! I’m trying one called Pristiq. (Funny name, makes me think of pristine.) It can take a couple of weeks to kick in, apparently. I just hope I don’t get hit by the side effects. Nausea I have already from this tension, flippin’ headaches I do not need! And I’ve a referral to a psychologist who sounds (from a phone call tonight) like a nice bloke.

My BFF who just went home from visiting has tension headaches – horrible things. As soon as she feels one developing she hits it with migraine pills and really strong coffee. One thing that helped a few years back was a reiki treatment. Not for everyone, obviouslly, but whether one sees it as a sort of mental placebo or genuinely channelling energy, it worked.

Lowquacks – I saw a couple of turkeys down at Phillip Island the other week, and reminded them they should be very grateful they’re there and not in the US! And emu chicks are cute indeed. Pity about the adults … who was it said recently “nothing that stupid should be that big” (or “nothing that big should be that stupid”)? 😉

magpie

Kitteh – I’m on something similar (venlafaxine). The main thing I find with mine is withdrawals if I don’t take a pill on time. Might be something to be aware of with yours, too? Good luck anyway. The right medicine can make a huge difference to your life 🙂

1 2 3