are these guys 12 years old? atheism minus misogyny narcissism rape

Atheist bigwig Sam Harris: “If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion, I would not hesitate to get rid of religion.”

This has never occurred to Sam Harris

In an interview a few years back with The Sun magazine, atheist bigwig Sam Harris had this to say about the comparable (de)merits of religion and rape:

You can read the whole interview starting here.

And some people wonder why so many atheists have broken with Harris and the rest of the Old School New Atheist Boys Club to start Atheism Plus.

EDITED TO ADD: Hadn’t noticed that the interview was from 2006, so maybe this is old news to a lot of atheists. Still horrible.

emilygoddess

If you’re too emotional to appreciate Hitch’s writing because you don’t like some of his politics

In case there was any doubt that you’re a sexist douchebag.

Do I get a prize for making the troll pop?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

But yes! Here’s a kitty:

Yay kitty! This makes it all worthwhile.

Skyrimjob

I’m loving how you’ll all scoff at Hitch and yet sit, slack-jawed, at videos of fucking KITTENS on Youtube. This is hilarious, or would be if it weren’t so sad. Our literary culture really is in the toilet. I’ll continue to appreciate good stuff, thanks.

Best. Flounce. EVER.

Now, can he stick it?

CassandraSays

He’s already failed, as we all predicted, and is now back with bonus petulance.

thenatfantastic

I liked the part where you said that the people disagreeing with you hadn’t read Hitchens, and were over-emotional and slack-jawed when you spent a week having an extended hissy-fit over a hero you hadn’t even heard of until less than a year ago while ignoring those people having a discussion about literature.

Now tell me again how preferring to read the mental masturbation of someone I find to be morally repugnant means that the world is going to end.

Skyrimjob

In Cassandra’s stupid fartworld, I guess petulance refers to appreciation for sublimity, even if it deviates from your little politically correct femosphere shi. I’m still LOLing at the person who favorably compared PZ Myers to Hitch. Yes, Myers is a feminist, circlejerk over that if you must, but it says nothing about his writing, which is mediocre and banal.

emilygoddess

while ignoring those people having a discussion about literature.

Come on Nat, we all know it’s not “literature” if it’s written by women.

pillowinhell

Oh you just keep reading “the good stuff” Skytroll!!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

*wipes tears from eyes*

howardbann1ster

Yes, it is actually impossible to read quality literature and also like cute animals. These things cannot coexist together.

There is certainly no pictures that exist of great literary figures with small children or animals. Obviously great literature requires shunning any forms of cuteness.

….okay, this is silly. I have been just a tad strident with Skyrimjob, I admit, but as I said before, a lot of that is because, um, I used to be him. But at this point I’m just plain baffled… the best way to defend the ‘literary genius’ is to cry ’emotional’ ‘too much cute kitten’ ‘you’re just too dumb to appreciate him!’

Hm. If he really is that great, could you maybe try to live up to that greatness? Think of something original to say that totally addresses what we’ve said and undermines it? I mean, that would be quite a feat, all things considered.

thenatfantastic

Claims not to be petulant while saying someone lives in a ‘stupid fartworld’. You could not make this shit up. Please tell us more about how our culture is in the toilet, oh wise one.

howardbann1ster

“Stupid fartworld”…. Oh, son.

Skyrimjob

You know, fuck you. Fuck you. I know this place is an echo chamber, but I didn’t realize it had gone so far as to dictate an official Man Boobz Entertainment Taste. A taste that is, of course, informed by feminism. And whatever, feminist crap is fine as a political position, but I’ve started reading Harold Bloom too, and it’s like he says- to experience the sublime, you have to suspend your political beliefs.

“Stupid fartworld”

Watch out, we got an intellectual giant over here!

CassandraSays

SkyRAL appears to be having a hard time restraining his innate tendency to throw tantrums. It really is the Radiohead conversation all over again.

howardbann1ster

“You lack intellectual rigor because you look at cute cats! And you live a FARTWORLD!!”

pillowinhell

Skytroll, try reading Faust as written by Goethe if your looking for some particularly cutting insults and curses.

Or you know, Shakespears curses are on the interwebs, and you can get one randomly generated. Or you could read Hamlet, and lift something from there.

howardbann1ster

Um, yeah, there is a Taste Test that you have to take when you join.

And I failed. But I’ve been studying up for the test, and I think I can pass on the re-test.

CassandraSays

“In fact, the cats are the reason that you live in the fartworld. WTF is the feminist cabal brainwashing you into feeding them?

Also fuck you, FUCK YOU…fartworld.”

dictate an official Man Boobz Entertainment Taste

How are we supposed to take seriously your claims to Hitch’s objective writing genius when you repeatedly demonstrate such poor reading comprehension? You’re not exactly demonstrating that yours in an opinion we can trust…

thenatfantastic

Yeah, saying we don’t like the exact same things you like is JUST LIKE an echo chamber. No one even has a problem with you liking Hitchens, it’s your insistence that if we don’t we’re big stupid doo-doo heads that’s the problem. As you have now been told repeatedly. For fucks sake, you utter child.

Skyrimjob

It’s fine to have differing tastes. I know that Hitch is not for everyone. But you need a legitimate reason to dislike him, not “I disagreed with him sometimes”.

emilygoddess

“I disagreed with him sometimes”

Some people place the most weight on the quality of the writing, while others place more weight on the content. I see nothing wrong with this.

But good job reducing the oppression of women and Hitch’s gleeful participation in it to petty disagreements. It’s not like sexism has a direct effect on our lives, or anything.

pillowinhell

New definition of “legitimate reason”: must appeal to Skytroll, a reason carefully spelled out and repeated ad nausem while taking care to read the trolls minds to ensure just the right phrasing and tone so as not to cause a troll meltdown. See also: “no I don’t want to date you”

CassandraSays

See also “I’m not attracted to Russell Brand”.

Skyrimjob

Hitch “contributing to the oppression of women”? Nice one. That’s some Illuminati stuff right there.

Anyway, as Professor Harold Bloom has said, if you’re looking for artistic sublimity, personal politics will only poison your search. You have to suspend that, at least temporarily. Which I’ve already said.

Skyrimjob

And this thread has turned into a clusterfuck anyway. Like Hitch, don’t like him, I’m going to bow out from the conversation, and go finish the Arguably collection.

pillowinhell

You’ve suspended a lot more than that Skytroll.

And it was only supposed to be suspended momentarily, not for a lifetime. Elsewise you become a fool, lacking in good judgement, driscretion and common sense.

pillowinhell

Did anyone else read that as the arglebargle collection?

CassandraSays

I give it less than 24 hours until he shows up again to say the exact same things, because he is our most persistent boomerang troll.

howardbann1ster

Wait, I need a convincing reason to NOT like Hitch?

No, I don’t think so. You’ve yet to give me a convincing reason to LIKE him.

Shaenon did better at giving convincing reasons to like him, when she described his writing. As did Pecunium. Because they actually described the things about his writing that worked. You used empty adjectives like “genius.”

And then you say it’s Illuminati stuff to see how entrenched sexism works to oppress females? Um… wow. That’s great.

Yeah. Come back anytime. In the meantime, try reading some classics or something. Read some Shakespeare. Develop your tastes a little. (I mean, Shakespeare wasn’t great on women…. but sometimes he was better than Hitchens)

CassandraSays

Kind of sad when you consider the centuries in which both men lived, no?

(Random aside – I have visited the cottage where Shakespeare’s girlfriend lived. The doorways were very low. Since we have a lot of people who know a lot about history here – were people really that much smaller back then or was it just customary for doorways to be low? The guide told us that people really were that much smaller, but that seems unlikely to me.)

pillowinhell

People have been getting steadily taller. A combination of better nutrition and fewer diseases/better medical treatment combined with improved sanitation. I think the nobility tended to be taller. Better fed, not overworked.

emilygoddess

@Cassandra I believe it’s a nutrition issue? When we went to colonial villages and the beds and doorways were smaller than they are now, we were told that people back then didn’t have the same access to nutritious food, at least not reliably, and since childhood malnutrition stunts growth, people tended to be shorter.

howardbann1ster

Wiki answers says yes.

But also consider that people in that time were SHORTER than people a few centuries earlier (by average, of course.) Source.

Because height corresponds to healthiness;

Average height is a good way to measure the availability and consumption of basic necessities such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care and exposure to disease,” Steckel said. “Height is also sensitive to the degree of inequality between populations.”

There’s some interesting food for thought there.

thenatfantastic

Skyrimjob, why in the everliving FUCK would you come to a website you KNOW is populated mostly by feminists then try shit on someone for pointing out that women are systematically oppressed? It might be Illuminati-fucking level to you, while you theorise about why everyone sucks and you’re SUPER AWESOME for like, reading a book, but to some of us it’s actually our lives.

You’ve been given so many chances to back down from the high horse constructed of your own god damned stupidity, by people doing the exact thing they demand you do (i.e. point out exactly why they don’t like your hero), yet still you want more.

You are a whiny little self-entitled baby who needs to sit the fuck down and drink some wake-up juice. The world does not revolve around you, and this forum does not exist for us to fawn over your literary choices. If you want to talk about how Christopher Hitchens is the bestest author EVAH, go find a forum devoted to that topic, or start your own. I’ve had quite e-fucking-nough of the Skyrim Show. I don’t give two merry little fucks what you like to read, listen to, eat, drink, watch – none of it. And I don’t expect anyone here to give a shit about my preferences. If we find some that coincide, cool, but this is a blog for mocking misogyny and I don’t care to see you using your tired, blithering male-privilege to tell me and mine what we should like and what we should and shouldn’t be fucking offended by.

Take your nasty little tantrums elsewhere.

emilygoddess

If you’re completely ignorant of this 101-level feminist theory, what are you even doing on this blog? How did you find it? Why would you stick around?

CassandraSays

The reason I ask is because there were times where I had to duck, and I’m 5ft2, so I was having a hard time imagining the average man back then being shorter than me. Obviously nutrition makes a huge difference (when I lived in the UK I found that upper class people were on average quite a bit taller than the average person – I didn’t think of myself as unusually short until I went to boarding school with a bunch of toffs).

CassandraSays

Why would you stick around?

Because I’m almost certain that this is not his first outing here, although this has been a more successful sockpuppeting attempt than those he’s made in the past.

thenatfantastic

You think it’s Brown Baby?

CassandraSays

Yep. Wasn’t sure until this thread, but all the tells are there.

Getting rid of him is like playing whack-a-mole, except the game never ends.

thenatfantastic

I suppose. Managed to resist a meltdown for a surprisingly long time.

CassandraSays

I hope that it is him, because if not then there are two of them, and that’s just depressing.

thenatfantastic

Haha, I was just going to post that exact thing. Since you mentioned it, it is looking more and more like him. Who’s that other author he likes?

lauralot89

Well, he sure doesn’t like Bret Easton Ellis or Stieg Larsson, assuming I have the right troll in mind.

thenatfantastic

Huh, I actually like Bret Easton Ellis’ writing, even though he’s a massive douchecanoe.

CassandraSays

Part of the reason I’m assuming it’s him is that historically speaking whenever we’ve had a petulant young man throwing a tantrum (complete with childish namecalling and YOU JUST AREN’T SMART ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THIS THING THAT I LIKE) as a result of people not agreeing with him about something pop-culture related, it’s always been him.

CassandraSays

I liked it as a teenager, not sure if I would still like it now.