$MONEY$ abortion alpha asshole cock carousel antifeminism evil women men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men patriarchy playing the victim politics princesses racism reactionary bullshit sluts

Romney: Defeated by sluts?

Slut voters slutting it up

Leave it to the Men’s Rightsers to come up with an even more ingeniously loopy explanation for Romney’s defeat than even Karl Rove has managed to come up with. According to the anonymous blogger behind the Christian Men’s Defense Network blog, on the far-right fringe of the already pretty fringey Men’s Rights movement, the thing that brought Romney down was “the slut vote.”

Let’s let Mr. Christian Men’s Defense Network explain:

[T]he Democrats tried to make this election about a single issue:

The right to slut.

Or more precisely, the right to slut without the responsibility of consequences.  The famous “gender gap” isn’t really a gap based on gender.  The right overwhelmingly wins older and married women.

But, alas, these fine, moral, married ladies are increasingly being challenged by younger, sluttier single gals.

[M]arried women constitute an ever-decreasing share of the female population.  Women want to delay marriage as long as possible so they can “have it all,” and usually “have it all” means “have as much hot alpha sex as possible without any consequences.”  And thus, less married women and more sluts

And so, Mr. CMDN concludes,

The “gender gap” should more accurately be called the slut vote.

In order to understand the Democrats’ evil (and successful) strategy to win over the slut vote, Mr. CMDN explains, we need to understand how they won over blacks. And yes, his explanation is racist as fuck:

Democrats have won the black vote because the black community is dominated by illegitimacy, and the Democrats are willing to subsidize and support that illegitimacy (as well as provide access to cheap abortions) so as to take away from sluts the consequences of their actions.  Consequently, young black people grow up on the dole and not only never realize there might be something wrong with that, but eventually come to believe that’s the way it should be.  The Democrats have won the black vote by first “empowering” single black mothers.

But now, you see, this kind of “illegitimacy” is spreading amongst white – or at least white sluts.

This is now beginning to happen in white suburbia, except unlike women in the urban black community, white suburban sluts start from a place of relative wealth and privilege (daddy’s little princess).  Thus, food stamps–and increased rewards for having illegitimate kids while on food stamps–don’t (yet) appeal to them.

So instead Obama appealed to rich white sluts by forcing someone else (the Catholic church, in this case) to pay for their birth control, and by scaring them about alleged threats to their ability to take advantage of Planned Parenthood’s services (Planned Parenthood being conveniently located in the minority part of town, of course, so as to provide anonymity to visiting white girls whose white girl friends never go over there–except to visit Planned Parenthood themselves).

All the Democrats had to do to win over these slutty white gals was to frighten them a little:

One thing one has to remember about women, especially slutty ones:  They usually don’t make decisions based on reason.  So all the Obama administration had to do was scare them that Mitt Romney was going to take away their birth control and their access to abortion.  The fear for them is that, without birth control and abortion, they might actually get pregnant and have to give birth.  That is scary not simply because of the economic burden of having a child (since, hey, they can get all kinds of cash and prizes if that happens), but because if that happened then everyone would know they’re sluts, and their image as daddy’s pure little snowflake princess goes out the window.

Having just told us that “the “gender gap” should more accurately be called the slut vote,” Mr. CMDN now tells us that there’s more to the gender gap than mere sluttiness.

[T]he desire to slut it up isn’t the only factor in the gender gap.  America has a fiscal problem primarily because women want free stuff without ever having to work.  America is over-regulated because women don’t want to have to compete in the free market.  America has profound moral problems in part because the rationalization hamster makes it impossible for 54% of the American electorate to ever admit a moral shortcoming.

However, this election cycle shows that the Slut Vote is real, and Republicans lose because they discount the existence of original sin in women.  Abortion is often called the “third rail of American politics,” but in truth, the third rail is a woman’s right to slut (with cash and prizes).

One thing one has to remember about MRAs, especially shitty ones: The world they live in bears only a passing resemblance to reality.

And apparently, Mr. CMDN can only take so much reality: he took his blog private after this post of his was mentioned on Jezebel, which is why I had to link to the Google cached version rather than the blog itself.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Romney does give off that “not convinced that this is a carbon-based life-form” vibe.

viola

Oftentimes what “slut” means over here is exactly the same as it means over there. There may be some older folks who still mean “poor housekeeper”, but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered that meaning in the wild.
I suspect Gordon may be doing that thing where we blame any language change we don’t like on Americans, and claim that all instances of it are Americanisms rather than valid meanings of a term. It’s like describing it as newfangled slang, but with more xenophobia. Because there are a lot more speakers of US English than UK, and we have to adapt to you far more than you adapt to us, and it makes us (self included) anxious that we’ll lose our own language under a flood of imported media.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

And another thing! If the one percenter winning the election was dependent on the white working class mans vote it was prolly a really stupid idea to outsource millions of those d00dz jobs, don’tcha think.

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

I guess that explains Willa Cather’s use of “slut” in her last novel, as in “We have a slut of a housekeeper at home. I never know where to find anything.” Though, given that the character who says that is talking to a maid he’s going to spend most of the book trying to rape, there’s probably something to the “slut-as-sexual-wanton” meaning too.

/ literature geek moment

The PP in my hometown is located directly across from one of the more upscale student apartment complexes, which houses a disproportionate number of middle- and upper-middle-class white students. The predominately-black-person-occupied parts of town are only a few miles away as the crow flies, but the crappy public transit system and poor city layout means it takes something like an hour and a half and five bus transfers to go those few miles. So…no?

drst
drst

@Angela, in the immortal words of Guy Pierce in Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: “Get down from that cross, honey. Somebody needs the wood.”

I’ve heard the theory about the placement of PP offices before, though sometimes it’s to hide the rich white girls’ identities and sometimes it’s a coordinated plot by the gubmint to have a holocaust of black babies, etc. Nobody seems to consider that PP puts its clinics in areas where people are most likely to be poor and not have health insurance and need them. *boggle*

timetravellingfool

Drink!!!!!!!!!!

timetravellingfool

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles

Gordon, the word slut may be to loaded to reclaim, no matter what the British version means. Do you also tell black people to reclaim certain words?

Obviously, plenty of black people already do just that, so I don’t know why you would mention it.

hellkell
hellkell

Because, St. Grumbles, it’s very easy for someone outside the group in question to cavalierly suggest that slurs should be reclaimed. They don’t have to deal with the impact in the first place, so STFU.

Sgt Grumbles
Sgt Grumbles

That’s not the point. I’m not arguing against that, but it wasn’t a very good example that you cited.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Actually it was a pretty good example. If you’re not black, don’t give black people instructions about which slurs aimed at them they should try to reclaim. If you’re not a woman, don’t give women instructions about which slurs aimed at us we should try to reclaim. And so on. It’s an ingroup versus outgroup thing – people within the ingroup can try to reclaim any slurs that they feel like trying to reclaim, but that doesn’t mean that it’s OK for outsiders to tell them that they should do so.

This really isn’t complicated.

Cthulhu's Intern

But if abortions and birth control are more freely available, the men have to pay less of that child support thing they despise so much. Why the hell would they be against this?
Also, this is the first time I’ve seen someone anti-abortion not try to claim that it’s about “sanctity of life” and outright say that they just want to punish women for having sex. Most of the time, you have to press them hard enough to get them to imply it.

hellkell
hellkell

Sgt. Grumbles, why do you think it’s a bad example?

hellkell
hellkell

I give these suggestions for slur reclamation the side-eye, because I think, “Why do you want that? Is it so you can use the word now and not feel bad about it?” Because most times, that’s exactly why.

timetravellingfool

So, like, abortion mystery time over- I had an abortion- question period time on- what would you like to know about my abortion?

timetravellingfool

Actually, me volunteering info might be more helpful what with all the abortion myths coloring public opinion- accidentally got a positive pregnancy test after trying to clear myself for sti’s about four months in. whoops. I was like, oh hells no, not now and not me, no hesitation. I live in god bless it freedom ville canada, so all I did was say ‘that has got to gtfo of me immediately’ and I was on the schedule for abortion. The fetal heart rate was freaky low so I got one of those dildo ultra-sounds, and tey are exactly like a dildo with no foreplay and a cranky french lady navigating your insides- as in better ways to spend your thursday. Actual abortion day required a four hour drive to the hospital that offered one and my brother to stand in as ‘the dude who would drive my crippled ass home after’/ The actual abortion was about as traumatic as five pap smears at once- as in, kinda not fun but not awful. And then they gave me two ib profen and sent me home. the end

timetravellingfool

Oh shit yeah, I asked to looked at it and they let me- it literally looked like a bit of saliva spit in a bit of bloody yellow goo.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I don’t have any particular desire to reclaim the word slut. That’s just not the direction I want public discussions of sexuality to go in – I think it still buys into the idea that what a woman does with her vagina matters more than it should. I want it not to matter any more than what a man does with his cock matters to most people/society as a whole.

If other women want to reclaim the word, cool, they can do that, but a man telling me that I should? STFU, dude. When you’ve spent at least a few years with random guys yelling “slut” and “whore” at you any time you won’t give them the attention that they want, then you may be qualified to offer an opinion on whether or not those words should be reclaimed. As it is? Not your call to make, and you should know that without women having to point it out to you if you’re any kind of ally.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

Re: reclaiming “slut”, yeah totally don’t give a shit about that. Not to mention I’m pretty much automatically leery of anybody telling me I should do something based on the British usage of a word, given that practically any time anybody anywhere calls a woman a “cunt” we get to hear a lovely lecture about how it’s totally not sexist because British people.

Don’t get me wrong, Brits, I have nothing against you. It’s just that those words are pretty fucking sexist. Even if you use them towards guys.

reymohammed
reymohammed

Mr. Willis: what you are calling a “slut” was formerly- and formally- known here by the related word, “slattern”, and is now just a “slob”. A “slut”, in the Nineteenth Century, came to mean a sexual slob who was totally indiscriminate about who they screwed, and originally applied to both sexes. However, once the rigid double standard of Victorianism set in, its use was restricted to women. In the late Sixties and Seventies, it did not automatically apply to women sexually active out of wedlock, not even polyamorous ones, but to those who were passively unchoosy and advertised themselves as such. An equivalent male (like Captain Kirk) was called a “tampon”, because you could put him up anybody’s. The Eighties backlash brought back slut-shaming of all (and only) women who were sexually active outside of marriage.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
sunshinemary

@ David Futrelle
This response article does not actually refute any of bskillet’s points in his CMD-N post. You know, it doesn’t take any intellectual effort to make fun of someone’s ideas. Actually articulating a coherent argument about why you see him as being wrong would be more useful, don’t you think?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@sunshinemary

lol

Vitamin D
Vitamin D

@ sunshine mary: comeon, refute my yellow goo comment- it’s friday, gimme something to do this evening!!!

Vitamin D
Vitamin D

I am the zygote annihilator!!

Dvärghundspossen

It’s weird how words can come to change meaning over the years or between countries. There’s some Sherlock Holmes story (I’ve forgotten which one) where one man says about another “he’s gone so far down queer street that he’s never gonna find his way out again”. Apparently, at the time, it meant he was in so much economical trouble that he’d never be able to clear up his financies again.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Susie Sunshine, if you seriously need David to pick apart the problems with “a bunch of slutty slutty slutty sluts voted for Obama cuz Big Daddy Government,” then you probably wouldn’t respond well to David picking apart the problems with it anyway.

thenatfantastic

The magic of the internet – not only is Gordon commenting to you all the way from Merry Olde England, he’s also commenting all the way from 1943!

No one, and I mean NO ONE, uses ‘slut’ to mean ‘untidy’ in the UK. And c*nt (is that word in mod) is sexist in the maaaagical land of Albion too.

Viola had this dude spot on, he’s pretending that the UK meaning is the only one that matters because a) he doesn’t want to accept language changes and b) he doesn’t want to stop using the word.

Because not using a word you know is oppressive is just so gosh darn hard.

Historophilia
Historophilia

The British usage of the word “slut” is by and large the same as the American. I know about the other usage, but that’s mainly because I’m a History and Literature geek. Most younger people wouldn’t know that was the original definition of the word.

As for reclaiming the word slut, I’m not sure that I care too. Though I do think that T-shirts saying “Sluts for Obama” would be awesome.

However, we are all aware that “slut” is not just used to shame women who are obviously sexually active or who dress in a way that other consider sexual. “Slut” is also used as a general insult to try and shame women who are behaving in a way of which the patriarchy does not approve. It is used to shame women who speak up and stand out and who challenge the bigotry or others or who behave in a way which is not considered appropriate.

So, in a way, if someone is reduced to calling me a “slut”, then I know I’ve done something right and pissed off the sort of people who deserve to be pissed off. Unless they’re shouting it at me from a white van, slightly different bag of weasels there. (And yes I have just made that up, “bag of weasels” sounds so much more interesting that “kettle of fish”.)

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Thanks to the magic of wikipedia, I just learned that Shakespeare might well have been referring to the “promiscuous” definition of “slut” when he used the phrase “sluttish time” in his Sonnet 55.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Historophilia, methinks I like this bag of weasels.

Fitzy
Fitzy

@ Sir Bodsworth : XD Upvoted with a vengeance.

Historophilia
Historophilia

Tulgey, I am going to be using it as often as possible from now on. And everyone will think that I am even more bizarre a human being than I already am.

On a completely different note, has anyone ever made a chocolate cake from a recipe that requires a small amount of vinegar mixed with milk in it?

I’m making a cake for my housemates birthday today and the recipe I’ve found calls for a tablespoon (British measurements) of red wine vinegar in it. I’ve never seen that before and I’m curious as to what difference it makes.

kysokisaen

Never seen that in a recipe, but do let us know if it was delicious. Or post the recipe right now that I may bookmark it. It’s another 6-18 months before I’ll be making another cake but a girl can dream.

Fitzy
Fitzy

I’ve done the milk + vinegar thing before, Historophilia. It’s usually a replacement for buttermilk. The extra acid helps activate the baking soda/powder and the resulting CO2 makes the cake fluffier. In a chocolate cake you *might* taste a tiny tang in the finished product, but chances are it won’t even be noticeable.

sunshinemary

@ David
I am a woman, but you are not, and you are the one who wrote the OP. Argue like a man and refute what he said; otherwise it’s just yip-yap. Is all that feminist men can add to the discussion? Yip-yap?

hellkell
hellkell

In that case, sunshine, take your yip-yapping back to your own cesspool of a blog.

Integral
Integral

Sunshinemary, it doesn’t really make sense to dignify the equivalent of someone smearing their feces all over a wall by taking time to present a serious argument against it.

Historophilia
Historophilia

I went ahead and did it, it is nice and fluffy looking and smells awesome. It’s currently cooling on the side waiting to be iced with a note next to it saying “If you touch this I WILL kill you”.

Yeah student households, such threats are necessary.

This is the recipe, it’s in British recipes but they’re easily converted: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/baking/cakes/simple-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe

I’ll let you know what it tastes like when it’s been nommed.

Amused

@Sunshinemary:

Though I do not have a penis, the comment section is public, so I would like to address your latest comment.

Preliminarily, you are not entitled to a formal refutation because you are not asking for it in good faith. What you are doing is best classified as semantic noise, not actual argumentation. I’d like to quote from one of my favorite blogs on this subject. Unlike me, the author does have a penis, SunshineMary, so you might want to pay attention. Although he is talking about science specifically, the principle that he articulates applies just as strongly to other subjects as well. Here is the problem with your demand, in a nutshell:

[I]f you want to take issue with any position expressed here, you first have to answer this question:

What evidence would it take to prove your beliefs wrong?

I simply will not reply to challenges that do not address this question. Refutability is one of the classic determinants of whether a theory can be called scientific. Moreover, I have found it to be a great general-purpose cut-through-the-crap question to determine whether somebody is interested in serious intellectual inquiry or just playing mind games. Note, by the way, that I am assuming the burden of proof here – all you have to do is commit to a criterion for testing. It’s easy to criticize science for being “closed-minded”. Are you open-minded enough to consider whether your ideas might be wrong?

Secondly — and this is related to the first point — some things are so dumb and so contemptible, they aren’t worthy of a point-by-point refutation. Just like, you know, it isn’t necessary to put in the effort to refute the contents of Mein Kampf. Or just like, if I said that the Moon is made of green cheese and anyone who says otherwise must be in league with Satan, you wouldn’t be able to intelligently refute that, either. I wouldn’t be surprised if you believe otherwise — but then, I’ve never seen you refute any negative observations that have been made about you, so once again, you are a hypocrite.

Finally, despite the fact that I am a mere woman, I am actually well-familiar with formal rhetoric and argumentation. (As you might have guessed, being a Satan-fucking slut, I had the temerity to get an education.) Anyway, first thing you do, before you can engage in any argument or refutation, is define the terms. Unless the two arguing parties can agree on basic definitions and fundamental assumptions, they are going to argue past each other. I know this because I spent some time in my prime childbearing years reading Plato’s various Dialogues instead of making meatloaf, laundering shirts, and keeping a bunch of rugrats from being a nuisance to their father. That’s another thing that makes the whole idea of refutation in this case bogus. You and us have a fundamental difference in values. Your most cherished value is that women are brainless, worthless life support systems for uteri, whose function in life is to be maids and breeding vessels — and we, contrarily, believe that women are human beings with as much value and as much right to good things in life as men. Hence, our starting assumptions are so fundamentally different, no dialogue is possible here.

Fitzy
Fitzy

I’m always jealous of European recipes. I wish U.S. cookbook authors would all switch to weights instead of giving everything in cups. Cooks’ Illustrated did a comparison a few years back, and no two measuring cups ever seem to hold exactly the same volume. It leads to a lot of annoying fussing and tweaking in the kitchen. 🙁

MissPrism
MissPrism

I own a copy of Erin Pizzey’s “The Slut’s Cookbook” from 1981 which acknowledges both senses of the word “slut.” But in general conversation in the UK, calling a woman a slut will be taken to mean you disapprove of her sex life, not her housekeeping. The most recent use of “slut” in the purely domestic sense that I can think of is Monica Dickens in the 1940s.

Setting transatlantic language pedantry reluctantly aside, the thing that strikes me most about the rant in the OP is that, from its writer’s up-is-down point of view, it’s so *honest*. This chap and his ilk think women should not be allowed to control their own lives, and that governments should not provide for citizens in need. But only at moments of weakness like this do they say so, clearly, in writing and in public. Is there an equivalent to “in vino veritas” about the truth-serum-like effects of seething, impotent rage?

(I’d be happy to reclaim “slut” but although I’ve been called it a few times I know that various privileges protect me from the worst sting of the word. Still, I’m always reassured when reminded that the right’s definition covers me even after 12 years of monogamy – nobody likes to be excluded!)

MissPrism
MissPrism

Off-topic: an insult I almost cherish the memory of is when a rival for a bloke’s affections, in an uncharacteristic fit of rage, called me a blonde bimbo. Those were the days.

*considers bleaching now-mousy hair*

pecunium

Angela: Romney wasn’t threatening to take away planned parenting, he was counting on it as a budget balancer.

Wrong again.

The Budget is huge. Trillions of dollars. $400 million is immaterial, in terms of the budget. What it means to the people who depend on it for healthcare, however, is huge. That’s why PP was an issue to me.

But what do I know, I’m one of those, “mean girls” who actually presented you with a wealth of facts.

But hey, if you want to keep this up, you can get yourself banned and feel even more the martyr.

pecunium

David Brooks (a loathesome and vile person, who thinks I should have become as an Einsatzgrüppen member. No, I don’t like him, not even a little bit) was ranting that the Republicans, “Are the party of work” and need to, “stress that again” so the Hispanics and Asians (who are all hard workers) will “come to their senses”.

Amused

@Fitzy: I have some European cookbooks and lots of Russian cookbooks, but I have to say, I prefer American measurements for recipes. Grams and milliliters don’t work very well for me because, while they are scientifically accurate, I find them less useful in the context of a home kitchen. I don’t have a scale or a collection of beakers, and even back in Russia, I remember everybody always estimating weights and volumes in terms of cups and spoons.

Fitzy
Fitzy

@Amused – My MIL is Croatian, and she prefers to measure by cups, too, or by eyeballing how much flour/sugar/water is in the bowl (and everything she makes is delicious). When she comes to visit me, she always laughs at how I carefully portion everything on my scale when I’m making cookies or bread. I like the weights better because I’m not really an intuitive cook; I didn’t start messing around the kitchen until I was well into high school, and I’ve only recently started to work my way around dinner without a set recipe in hand. The more precise, the better for me. 🙂

julesagray

Slut and proud of it. anything to keep those choady, rapey republicans (who probably have never had a decent blow job in their lives because their peens are wee) out of the public eye. Hope the uteruses of America don’t slap them too hard on the ass on the way out.

pecunium

sunshinemary: Back for more?

To be honest, no. I don’t think he will listen any more than you do. As evidence I offer that he closed the blog when light was shined on it. Just as you declare victory; in other fora, when you come here and get spanked.

But, I’ll point out just one of the logical howlers in his litany of inanity.

He argue that, With the rare exceptional Cubans, hispanics vote, “leftist” because they don’t know any better. They left their own “hellish regimes” for the US, and vote “leftist” out of habit.

It’s not as if they could look at the platforms of the parties and decide one was worse for them than the other.

You know, the one that wants to send all of them back, “where they came from”.

So, it’s not that they are too stupid to see which side their bread is buttered on, it’s that he’s too stupid to see what his white candidate was telling them; much less what he’s saying about them now.

They saw where their interests were; it was in being treated as citizens with the standing of all other citizens.

The same way Rany left the GOP, becaus the GOP told him he was an evil person, full stop. No need to see what sort of person he was, he wasn’t, “our kind”.

That’s what the Republican Party was selling. It’s why they lost. It wasn’t the “sluts”, and the, “takers” it was the hate.

Yes, hate. You are full of it, and it shows, case in point, . Argue like a man and refute what he said; otherwise it’s just yip-yap.

You aren’t doing that. You aren’t actually supporting his case. You are saying, “he’s right, you’re wrong” and then stamping your foot when no one plays with you, right down to the schoolyard taunts.