on the tv oppressed white men patriarchy playing the victim racism

On Fox News, the painful realization that white dudes are no longer the center of everything

Up all night. Too tired to scan the manosphere for weird reactions to Obama’s victory.

But here are some scenes from last night as a couple of backwards white dudes attempted to come to terms with the new demographic realities that enabled Obama to win the election despite getting a smaller percentage of the white vote than Michael Dukakis did in 1988.

Karl Rove, on Fox News, responded to the new realities with good old-fashioned denial, arguing with the number-crunchers for Fox after they called Ohio as a win for Obama. Rove must have thought he’d bought the election good and square!

Bill O’Reilly, meanwhile, responded with, well,  there’s really no other word for it than racism:

Also, while we’re talking demographics, here’s a nice pithy breakdown of the gender gap, from ABC news:

Women favored Obama by 11 points while men backed Romney by 7; the gender gap has been bigger just once, in 2000 (when men were +11 Bush and women were +11 Gore). Add in marital status and the gaps become garish: Married men for Romney by 60-38 percent; unmarried women (younger, more Democratic, more aligned with Obama on social and role-of-government issues) backed the incumbent by 67-31 percent.

Grouchy entitled white dudes, get used to it.

Problem?

Dammit, mess up the first comment.

Problem?

Noadi

So I’m not a real American? Funny, seeing how I was born here*, have lived my entire life here (30 years), and have voted in every election since I turned 18, but I guess not voting his way means I forfeit my citizenship. Who cares about that whole democracy thing.

*not implying that naturalized citizens aren’t real Americans, just making point about how long I’ve been a citizen

inurashii
inurashii

I seriously cannot wait to see the manosphere flip out about all this.

indifferentsky

He’s projecting. Who “gets stuff” from the government other than the super rich? The STUFF that people get otherwise is infrastructure. The very very poor by state get some laughable welfare benefits (in California only if you have kids and there are massive hoops and a time limit.) So is the healthcare “stuff”? Because if healthcare is “stuff” then I need to pull out my go to F word. Yeah, fuck you, Bill.

cloudiah
Unimaginative
Unimaginative

I was honestly very stressed when I first started watching the returns last night after the east coast polls closed. If the Republican party hadn’t been so openly, horribly against women’s bodily autonomy, I think the election might have gone the other way, and that just terrified me. (One of the TV people said that conservative women are economically libertarian, but also reproductively libertarian, which trumped their economic feelings this time around).

The US is so influential on the world’s economy, and all the western countries (well, maybe just Canada, the UK and Australia) have veered rightward. A Romney presidency would have been a disaster, and I just don’t understand how it got to be such a close election.

I’ve even watched those YouTube videos with interviews with Romney supporters, and they just made no sense. I don’t understand why anyone would align themselves with today’s Republican party.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

Wow… that’s just… wow. He said that out loud. This man is a well-respected news commentator who millions of people listen to religiously. And he said that out loud.

ShadetheDruid

I’ve heard that the super duper racism didn’t really help them much either, especially when it came to Hispanic voters.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

I’ll tell you who wants their precious “things.” It’s the holders of U.S. treasury bonds. They want their interest dividends from all the money that they’ve loaned the U.S. government. $16 trillion and counting, and come hell or high water, they’ll get their interest payments. The borrowers in elected office — whether Democrat or Republican — are the true friends to those bond holders. We enable the borrowers — and we empower and enrich the lenders — with our decisions in the voting booth. Yea for democracy.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

This statistic here really shows me how much work there is to do to remind married women how they also need social services. For the middle class women, they don’t realize how conservative policies will make them poor, and when they’re poor, they’ll have no safety net to fall back on. If they have kids, they might not realize how many benefits their kids get, and how quickly they can be taken away by conservatives. Yet another thing they’re not getting is that unless they want a dozen kids, reproductive freedom is just as important for them as it is for single women. Let’s not forget how scary their futures will be if Republicans gut and privatize Medicare and Social Security. Hey, married ladies, wake up. We need to start voting our own interests.

Melody

Fox is full of racism.
Apparently, wanting my insurance to cover birth control when it is part of my pay for my job is just wanting things?
And what is a traditional america?
The white establishment is now in the minority??? WTF.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D

Yeah, ‘non-traditional (apparently women aren’t included in this either)’ Americans want stuff. Like equality and social justice. It remains to be seen whether obama will give it to them, but he certainly doesn’t threaten to take what people have already fought for.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

All right, Roscoe, let’s talk about economics. I know how conservatives love to bash “tax and spend liberals” and all, but it’s a lot better than the “don’t tax and then use borrowed money to spend” Republicans. Liberals know that if you want to spend money for social programs, it requires higher taxes, no way around it. Conservatives want to have their cake and eat it, too, promising lower taxes to billionaires and then shrugging about the debt it causes.

Another thing to look at is that trickle down economics is a failure. Give more money to the super rich, and they’ll just hide it away in numbered bank accounts, taking money out of the economy. Give more money and benefits to the poor, and then watch that money circulate over and over again in the economy, helping everyone. It’s cliche but a rising tide lifts all boats.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

If we “give” money to this group or that group, what happens when our credit rating is tanked and we can no longer finance our generous and benevolent acts of generosity?

sabresguy5
sabresguy5

How dare people want ‘stuff’? It’s their fault they weren’t born into wealth like True Americans.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

The only time the US credit rating went down was when the “fiscally conservative” republicans started fucking around with their extreme-austerity budget in aid of billionaires.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

Roscoe, we can afford social programs if we raise taxes on the rich and spend less on the military, the war on drugs, and the prison industrial complex. Spend money on programs that help people improve their lives rather than on ineffective punishments. Programs like Head Start, after school programs, food pantries, adult literacy classes, and so on are relatively cheap and prevent more expensive problems in the future.

The US is rich enough to take care of people if we’d force our politicians to act rational and get our priorities straight.

princessbonbon

We still are able to borrow at very low levels so even if we were giving bags of cash directly to the poor we would still be improving the economy and eventually pay all that money back easily.

See here is the problem you have Roscoe, you really want to have a smug sense of superiority of how much “better” you are than those unwashed masses of the poor. So no matter what reality says, you will say the exact opposite because otherwise you do not get to be smugly superior. And then you will have to confront being a small minded man in the midst of giants.

cloudiah

PZ Myers must have heard David was tired, because he decided to run his own mockery of JtO’s latest screed.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

A rising debt raises all prices.

Karalora
Karalora

It’s cliche but a rising tide lifts all boats.

And wealthy conservatives hate that, because for them the pleasure of being rich lies in looking down on those who are less rich than you.

cloudiah

And Roscoe fails to engage with anything people are actually saying here. Time for cat videos!

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

We won’t default on our debt; we’ll keep paying interest on those bonds even if it takes printing more money. Of course, all prices will increase as a result, hitting the poor the hardest but by no means limiting the damage to the poor. Next stop: $17 trillion.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

If smug superiority is a defect, then I point you to the last sentence of the OP.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Roscoe, when you give money to the poor to buy food, that money immediately goes into the economy. The US food stamp programs have unintentionally been propping up your economy over there.

Give money to subsidize housing and people are able to keep their jobs and pay their bills.

Give money to subsidize health care and people are quicker to get treated, quicker to get back to work and less likely to develope chronic, difficult toi treat and possibly life threatening illness or disabilities. Subsidizing something like insulin is a lot cheaper than care for a person who lost their eyesight to diabetes.

Cloudiah: Love it! So epic!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

A rising tide sinks your battleship! And other moments in conservative dumbassery, by Roscoe P. Coltrane.

princessbonbon

*rereads it and pats Roscoe condescendingly on the head.*

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I get it that debt and stagflation are bad. But I’m telling you that there are practical solutions to fixing the economy. We can increase revenue by allowing the Bush tax cuts for the top income bracket to expire. The top 1% are getting a lot from our government and paying nothing back, and that’s going to have to stop unless we want a handful of people to have all the money while everyone else starves. That’s the kind of situation that really does threaten democracy, because it seems better to submit to authoritarianism (in any form) rather than starvation. That’s what Eisenhower was warning people about way back in the sixties when he described the threat of the military industrial complex.

As for spending, we can make big cuts in the military budget and still be safe. We can invest more money in education, social services, and healthcare to prevent crime, rather than putting millions of victimless drug offenders behind bars. Finally, we can end the war on drugs and make them a source of tax revenue. With these kinds of changes, we can make sure people are fed and also slowly start paying down the debt. We can do both at the same time if we can wrestle back some of the power from super PACs and billionaires.

howardbann1ster

Hahhahahhahha!

Having your entitlement pointed out = being condescended to! Of course, Roscoe, of course!

Guy Noir
Guy Noir

PZ Myers on JtO: Exterminate!

inurashii
inurashii

These motherfuckers love to waltz in and be like “We’re in debt. Y’all’s fault.” Without having a god damn idea about what WILL fix it

howardbann1ster

@thebionicmommy:

Those are all good changes. But I just want to point out… we would reach the goal of surpluses LONG BEFORE we finished doing all the stuff on your list.

Just dropping the war spending, before you cut military budgets at all, drops more than half the deficit right there.

And then another quarter on tax cuts for the rich.

3/4s of it, right there.

It’s actually painfully simple stuff. Reverse the obvious Republican stuff, and we’re most the way there.

BUT THEY REFUSE TO ADMIT THAT’S A SOLUTION.

They still claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility.

If they really were, those would be the low-hanging fruit they’d go after. But they’re not. No more than ‘prolifers’ are really against abortion. If they were against abortion they’d have to vote for Obamacare as a matter of conscience–freely available contraceptives have been shown time and again to drive abortions rates WAAAAAY down. But they aren’t.

This is what really shows their hypocrisies. The party of ‘fiscal responsibility’ explodes the deficit, every time.

The ‘pro-life’ party votes for more abortions, not less.

freitag235
freitag235

Just for Roscoe, here’s an awesome bulldog.

inurashii
inurashii

whuh-oh, howard, I think you chased him away with all of your scary facts.

How do you survive in your daily life if your sole understanding of finance is “SPENDING = DEBT!”?

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

@katz

You panic?

princessbonbon

You post inane comments that lack logic on forums devoted to mocking unrelated subjects?

howardbann1ster

whuh-oh, howard, I think you chased him away with all of your scary facts.

It’s not necessarily the facts that scare them; being asked to account for raging hypocrisy? That’s scary.

He’s right now trying to remind himself that he’s FOR fiscal responsibility, and AGAINST abortion. Trying so very hard.

It won’t be difficult. Cognitive dissonance. I used to think I was totally heterosexual. I have vivid memories of watching a choir perform and noticing quite a few very pretty gentlemen, not paying much attention to the ladies in the choir at all, and still thinking I was totally hetero, not a queer bone in my body. It’s just that the guys were so very pretty.

You can ignore reality pretty hard if your world view requires it.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The idea that it’s fiscally responsible for a country to ban abortion has always amused me. Well, until I remember that the people who think that way are occasionally in charge of the nation’s finances.

lowquacks
lowquacks

The amount of people with mortgages out there is terrifying! Shouldn’t they all be renting?

Like you go out and buy a cup of coffee, and then you flip out like “THAT’S $2.50 I DON’T HAVE ANYMORE! NEXT, $10 TRILLION!”

Falconer

I PAID $10 FOR A SET OF POLYHEDRAL DICE THIS WEEKEND! WHERE WILL IT END?! I WILL BE DROWNING IN EIGHT-SIDERS UNLESS I AM ALLOWED TO SQUARE ROOT THE KUMQUAT IN THE DOLPHIN TOWER!!

clairedammit
clairedammit

Ohio might have gone for Romney briefly last night after the election was called for Obama. NPR (http://elections2012.npr.org/bigboard/president.html) was reporting numbers like 48.4% for Obama and 49% for Romney for about 20 minutes after they, Fox News, and NBC had all made Ohio blue. But by that time, Obama had 272 electoral votes without Ohio or Florida so it didn’t really matter. Still, I expect to see a lot of conspiracy-theorizing about Ohio later among the right wing. It should be entertaining.

WE MIGHT BE IN DEBT, BUT I DON’T WANT TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE MY NEIGHBOR’S CHILDREN GO HUNGRY OR ARE DENIED A GOOD EDUCATION. PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GO TO WAR WITH EVERYONE, STOCKPILE GUNS, AND LIVE IN GATED COMMUNITIES* WHILE OTHERS STARVE OR DIE BECAUSE THEY DON’T HAVE MEDICAL CARE ARE EVIL.

*Many of my peers and family think like this. They also think my middle-class neighborhood in the city is dangerous because it’s not majority white and isolated like theirs. I am happy to give my property taxes to a school district that gives all the kids a good education(not just the wealthy ones) and feeds kids a hot lunch all summer if they need it; they think my neighbor’s kids are all gangsters. I’m really starting to hate other affluent white people.

Kakanian
Kakanian

>Who “gets stuff” from the government other than the super rich?

The difference being that the super-rich deserve it. They’re making all the money trickle down after all, providing for much better social security than the State ever could.

At least I think that’s what they believe.

cloudiah

Falconer, you could at least have put a NSFW label on that post. 😀

Falconer

@Cloudiah: Great, I’m having a paranoid moment and wondering if there was anything actually NSFW in what I wrote.

cloudiah

Well, it just sounds… you know… What did you mean by kumquat?

(I’m totally kidding, you’re fine.)

Falconer

Sorry, I just … the downside to all this wonderful social interaction is I don’t get to see peoples’ faces and hear their voices, so I sometimes can’t tell when someone’s being silly at me.

This is totally not your fault.

It’s lead me to worry several times if I’ve said something bad. Usually most people will say outright, hey, you’re being an asshole, but even knowing that doesn’t help me 🙁

1 2 3 6