antifeminism creepy misogyny on the tv reactionary bullshit straw feminists YouTube

Bill O’Reilly ogles the single woman voter

So the lovely and talented Bill O’Reilly of Fox news has had a bug in his butt about single women voters for a while now — at least since he ran across a Gallup poll a couple months back showing that single women as a group overwhemlingly support Obama.

So last night he sent a “reporter” out to investigate these strange creatures. Or at least those representatives of the single female demographic that happened to be wearing skimpy and/or silly Halloween costumes.

Amanda Marcotte offers a few thoughts about the segment in a post on Slate.

Here’s an equally “fair and balanced” look at the world of single male voters.

Omskivar

What is with the random clips they play after anyone makes an attempt to be clever? Is that normal for O’Reilly? It’s giving me a headache.

sabresguy5
sabresguy5

Oh god, the music in that last video is so fitting XD

popcornculturejunkie
popcornculturejunkie

I’d call him barftastic, but I’m not trying to give him any compliments

popcornculturejunkie
popcornculturejunkie

Single women out socializing pre-Halloween? Who would’ve imagined? XD

amavra

Oh gods that was horrible. I don’t even.

M Dubz
M Dubz

@Omskivar- I know right? O’Reiley fails at journalism for SO MANY REASONS, but also those random clips.

aworldanonymous

I tried watching the O’Reilly factor one day, I was in awe at the fact that people actually believe half of the stuff he spews.

aworldanonymous

Maybe I should consider a journalism major.

Songthe
Songthe

He’s a proven sexist creep. Let’s not forget he *was* sued for sexual harassment years ago, and the woman had tapes of his disgusting behavior.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Brain bleach, anyone? I know this starts out heart-wrenching, with the poor little kitty’s eyes swelled shut from conjunctivitis, but just wait till you see her start to get well and then find a home at the end.

cloudiah

Cassandra, I seem to have something in my eye causing this odd watering… That kitten. How sad then sweet that was.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Or, on a less teary note, behold the kitty wheel.

(If you get a Bengal you’re going to want one of these.)

@cloudiah

Funny thing is, going back to the oh noes why won’t women have casual sex with me conversation earlier, seeing a guy rescue a kitten and nurse it back to health like that? Far more attractive to me than insults designed to wilt my self-esteem delivered by men in funny hats.

(I mean, the dude who made the kitty rescue video is married and on a different continent but, you know, in theory.)

cloudiah

I have to admit, seeing that dude carefully cradle that kitten made my ‘gina tingle a bit. Okay, it didn’t actually but it did make him extra super attractive, even though I never saw his face or [gasp] his earning potential!!!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m going to go ahead and say that doting over cats is a necessary but not sufficient condition for me to be attracted to a man. That alone won’t make me go for a guy, but it certainly does help!

Cthulhu's Intern

I seriously do not see the point of what Bill O Rly is trying to make here.
Also, how many other people noticed that all the Romney supporters’ main reason for supporting Romney is “because he’s against Obama”? They’re basically just not voting for who they don’t want. Which does not get you what you want.

Shaenon

Oh lord. It is just never pretty when Republicans try to be funny.

Melody

I love how they are acting like they didn’t splice and cut that video to look like that.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Cassandra, Cloudiah, that eye-watering bug is really doing the rounds. I’ve got it bad.

And totally THIS about men (well, anyone) being sweet and caring for kittens, or any animal.

kysokisaen

I never understood the appeal of shows like O’Reilly’s. My older, conservative officemate claimed they were good entertainment, but all I ever saw was an angry man who didn’t make sense shouting at me. I hate being yelled at in that tone of voice in person, even by a person who has a legitimate gripe against me. I never could put myself in the shoes of someone who’d think a 48-minute hectoring in which you can’t get an idea in edgewise is fun.

lauralot89

The only O’Reilly clips I’ve ever been able to sit through were his interview with Marilyn Manson and his cameo in Iron Man 2. The cameo because it was about five seconds long, and the Manson interview just because I love seeing Manson shatter expectations of interviewers.

Falconer

OF COURSE they put Beyonce at the start of their segment. OF COURSE.

emilygoddess

@Cassandra I’ll see your cat wheel and raise you a treadmill:

cloudiah

I am now attracted to everyone who works for Prickles Hedgehog Rescue.

skeptifem

Its weird but I keep enjoying videos of pregnant cats lately. They have such cute bellies.

princessbonbon

At least when the Daily Show does their mock ups of the man on the street, they do so by mocking everyone-not just attractive young women who happen to be out on a night of socialization.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

@princessbonbon: That’s what the conservatives ALWAYS get wrong about comedy. They seem to think that since liberals (as represented by centrists like Jon Stewart) poke fun at conservatives, they ought to be able to poke fun at liberals.

They just don’t get that it’s comedians’ jobs to poke fun at PEOPLE IN POWER and people who do things that are stupid and senseless. Poking fun at people with no power, or making fun of the person and not their mockable behaviour, is not satire, it’s just mean.

And it’s hardly the comedians’ fault that conservatives do SO MANY things that are stupid and senseless.

howardbann1ster

It’s the mindset. In the RightWing Authoritarian mindset, the worst thing you can do is laugh at authority. The authority laughs at people wiht no power? That’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Their entire mindset is geared around worship of those at the top. They literally cannot comprehend why you would punch up, not down. If they could understand that, well… all the conservatives I’ve known who had a good sense of humor eventually had that bit of humanity leak out over everything else, and it made it exceedingly difficult for them to remain conservatives.

Those that managed it had to lose the humor.

(the humorless make the best conservatives…)

princessbonbon

They seem to think that since liberals …poke fun at conservatives, they ought to be able to poke fun at liberals.

I actually think that statement pretty much sums up why conservatives have been saying that President Obama is the worst ever and ohmygod he is awful because liberals were pointing out that President Bush was pretty fucking horrible with proof to back it up. What proof do conservatives have? Their own policies that he keeps enacting?

And conservative humor always seems mean to me-because it is the powerful beating up the powerless which is pretty mean. I have never been a fan of humiliation comedy and almost all of theirs is that way.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

I think I’ve linked this blog before, but if you ever need kitten pics, here’s a place to go:

It’s a blog about foster kittens. Right now the second post has “alumni” pictures of a couple of fluffy tabby points and OMG they’re the prettiest cats I ever saw!

I was actually expecting to see a bit more actual conservative humor when Obama took office, since they could then poke fun at the people in power. And yet, no. I honestly can’t think of a single bit of funny conservative comedy from the entire term.

The other weird thing is that, when conservatives try to do comedy, their timing and delivery are also really bad (remember the 1/2 Hour News Hour?). What does that have to do with political views?

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

There’s a small error in the first sentence of this post:

“So the lovely and talented Bill O’Reilly of Fox news has had a bug in his butt about single women voters for a while now…”

Fixed it.

Falconer

Great. There went years and years of trying very hard NOT to remember the 1/2 Hour News Hour.

Thanks. /snark

But yeah, their timing is awful most of the time. What’s up with that?

reginaldgriswold
reginaldgriswold

I completely forgot the Half-Hour News Hour. Wasn’t it all BO jokes and photoshops of Nancy Pelosi in witch hats? Blargh.

ozymandias42

I dunno, maybe it’s for the same reason that conservatives are completely incapable of grasping the concept of “scansion”?

Biot
Biot

princessbonbon, that is not “I haz a depressed” material in my book – that is high-octane nightmare fuel.
No wonder those “This coffee bean burns fat!” or “Cut 75% off your electricity bill! Learn how to do it – before the government shuts it down!” have a conspiratorial air to them – they’re targeting the people who’ve been scared into parting with their money.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’ve always wondered who actually buys that crap.

Cthulhu's Intern

So, I’m wondering. Since liberals have more power in the EU than they do in the US, do they have funnier conservatives?

princessbonbon

I have to talk these people who buy this crap into voting and the problem is that when you tell the truth, they just take that as evidence that the lie is the actual truth.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I read the Long Con, and I remember all the adds and sponsored products I saw when I ventured into the deep abyss of the right-wing online newsmedia (for lols, of course). They do seem to make a living preying on the true believers, and I guess it makes sense for the politicians to be similar.

It reminds me of when I read Altemeyer’s book on right-wing authoritarians, where he mentions that they tend not to be very good at telling when someone is just saying what they want to hear.

princessbonbon

Since it affirms what they already “know” it seems to be perfectly reasonable. Which is why I still have a hard time convincing my conservative colleagues that Stephen Colbert is simply a parody act.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Yep. O’Reilly’s take on the “…women in binders” was equally shitty:

This time, the comments section doesn’t make me want to vomit.

In short, he’s an asshole.

M Dubz
M Dubz

@princessbonbon- I have such a hard time believing that, even though I know logically it’s true. I just feel like every week the mask slips further and further down his face…

princessbonbon

I used to have a hard time believing it myself but considering all the other silliness they believe, it has become simply too easy.

cloudiah
Reply to  princessbonbon

Wow, I am astonished that there are people who think Colbert is serious! And then I remember the existence of Fox News.

pecunium

The Best O’Reilly clip I ever saw was Scott (crap, I forgot his name, the weapons inspector) take him apart in the run-up to the War in Iraq.

The best thing I ever saw about Colbert was someone trying to figure him out and coming to the idea that Colbert was a Real Conservative, pretending to be a Lieberal, playing a Fake Conservative, so the other Lieberals would be exposed to THE TRUTH, in a form they could understand.

He was a fifth columnist.

pecunium

It came to me. Scott Ritter.

Mikey Armstrong
Mikey Armstrong

After watching that, millions of old, sexually frustrated assholes in middle America are mad that young women get to vote.

zomguy
zomguy

@Mikey – good! They’ll die off soon, anyway.