abortion misogyny politics

Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock: When rape victims get pregnant, “it is something that God intended to happen.”

Here’s Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock, who apparently has some sort of direct line to God, talking about abortion and rape at a debate earlier tonight:

I just struggled with it myself for a long time but I came to realize: Life is that gift from God that I think even if life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.

Mourdock has now put out a statement trying to sort of retract what he said, and a spokeswoman for Romney, who has endorsed Mourdock, has distanced the presidential contender from Mourdock’s remarks.  See Politico for more details.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Even giving this guy the most benefit of the doubt possible, he’s saying that a rape-baby is a gift from god that makes the rape less terrible. Which convinces me that he has never ever talked to a woman about pregnancy, or to a woman who was raped. At the very least he could understand that being constantly reminded of a horrific event in your life for the next 20 years, and that reminder being something you should be loving and caring for and that should represent one of the happiest and most fulfilling times of your life, would most likely be torture, right?

He “struggled for a long time” about how his god could allow (and could cause to happen) such a tragic event. His solution was to convince himself that getting pregnant makes the rape ok. *sigh*

heidihi
heidihi

@thenatfantastic… new friends? 🙂

Myoo
Myoo

Of course feminists would be for snakes! What’s next, planting apple trees!?!!?? You’re just godless communists, trying to destroy the American values of Freedom, Enterprise, Blue Jeans and Apple Pie!!!!!!!

Fitzy
Fitzy

Bud, when you say that a pregnancy conceived through rape is God’s will, then by logical extension you are saying that the rape itself was God’s will. No word twisting required, douchecanoe.

The next logical extension is that the rapist himself is merely an instrument of the Almighty, and therefore was just carrying out God’s great plan. The rapist isn’t a criminal, he’s a Giver of Life!

Excuse me, I need to go kick a wall now.

Fitzy
Fitzy

@Myoo – Where are we going to get the Apple Pie fixings if we don’t have some trees at the ready?

Shiraz
Shiraz

Yeah, what hellkell said. Look down at your shoes, fellas, don’t speak and just let the ladies figure out what’s going to happen to our own bodies.

I wouldn’t even give my two-bit opinion on how a proctologist should conduct exams…just saying.

heidihi
heidihi

Also, Myoo, aren’t snakes like totally penis representatives? Like, long, strong, and prone to eating mice? Wait…

lauralot89

There are many things I love about living in Indiana. This guy sure as hell isn’t one of them.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Rapists, doing Gods work!

Seriously, these guys act like rapists should be nominated for sainthood.

Amused

So, this God that Republicans worship is a benevolent rapist. Makes perfect sense.

Myoo
Myoo

@Fitzy
The French have a thing called Pomme de Terre, or Ground Apples. Since they don’t come from trees, and God said you shouldn’t eat the fruit from the tree, then surely they are safe and therefore apple pies should be made from Ground Apples.

[/silliness]

thenatfantastic

@heidihi I’m going to start handing out questionnaires about people’s suitability as rat-sitters before I befriend them from now on 😉

thenatfantastic

@Myoo

Potato pie? You should probably at least put leeks in there too.

Jodi
Jodi

So, when do we get the mandate that everyone has to donate the extra kidney they’re not using? Or a bit of marrow, or even a pint of blood they don’t need? They will, after all, be saving a life.

And blood donation is minimal time and effort. Minimal.

Those aren’t OK to force people to do, but forcing someone to carry a baby is?

ShadetheDruid

Or put the potato on as a layer over mince, and suddenly(!) you have the best type of pie in the universe.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Sweet potato pie!

Om nom nom!!!

thenatfantastic

@Shade

I’m vegan, I’ve never cooked a piece of meat in my life – I didn’t even think about mince! I still stick with my original suggestion of leeks, and possibly carrots and green beans, with a nice creamy sauce and shortcrust pastry. Or take out the potatoes and replace with deep-fried tofu, and just have mash on the side. Mmmmmm.

heidihi
heidihi

@thenatfantastic that’s what i do, but for snakes. don’t love my snake? GET OUT OF MY SIGHT! *overturns the table*

(kidding 🙂 mostly….)

inurashii
inurashii

nat, you should totes get rat-babies. Next to dogs, rats are my favorite pets.

ShadetheDruid

thenatfantastic: I think you can easily make shepherd’s/cottage pie with a substitute, like quorn is the one people usually use I think. Whether it’s tasty or not, I have no idea.

Also if we’re going for wacky pie variants, then baked beans! They’re awesome in a shepherd’s/cottage pie, mixed in with the mince along with the other veg.

Fitzy
Fitzy

Hmmm… all of these frankly scrumptious Apple of the Earth pie variants aren’t going to bring a patriotic tear to Glen Beck’s eye. They sound quite British.

Of course, so is Apple of the Tree pie.

And Levi Strauss was from Bavaria.

Ray Kroc was U.S. born and bred, though. So the Golden Arches are uniquely American. This is both telling and depressing.

thenatfantastic

Nah, Quorn’s not vegan, it has milk and/or eggs in it. I only use meat substitutes about once a fortnight, usually seitan. I’ve been vegetarian for most of my life, and when I was a kid I only ate meat when I ate outside of the home, so it’s not something I’ve ever had to miss. Weirdly, and partially off topic, I found out yesterday that ASDA’s own brand soy milk isn’t vegan – or even vegetarian – they put fish in it! :S

thenatfantastic

And Levi Strauss was from Bavaria.

Don’t tell Ruby, it’s all she has!

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

and I would not have the nurturing instinct of a laundry basket.

I’m not sure I even have this much nurturing instinct. I mean, put a baby inside a laundry basket and set the whole thing on a table, and the basket will keep the baby from rolling off the table. Set a baby on a table in front of me, and I might neglect to do the same.

Related: On one of the mailing lists I read, someone suggested this morning that Christian conservatives are hung up on this “rape babies are God’s will” thing because the central myth in their religion is that God made a baby be born of a woman whose opinion was never consulted.

But I was under the impression that Mary *was* consulted and that she consented (see Luke 1:38, “I am the handmaiden of the Lord; let it be to me according to His will”). By implication, then, if Mary had been all “AHAHAHA FUCK OFF,” God would have found some other woman to carry His baby-self.

After comments like Akin’s and Mourdock’s, though, I’m beginning to think my interpretation is an unusually feminist one.

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

PS: That said, can we please get the feminist version in more churches? “God wants all pregnancies to be consented-to pregnancies” is a WAY better moral lesson than “God uses rapists to knock you up so the walking incubators need to look grateful for it,” IMO.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

So, the list of people who drink soy milk:
– Vegans
– Some vegetarians
– Lactose intolerant peoples
– Health detox-y type peoples
– Strange folk (it tastes like cardboard, why does it taste like cardboard?!)

And they’ve cut out two major groups. Possibly three if the health detox-y type peoples can’t eat fish because detox-y. WTF?

historyizfun

How do I get adults who are loud and obnoxious to shut the fuck up? I don’t think giving them paper and pens will help. (Adults are almost always more poorly behaved than a 2 year because we should all know better. A two year old, not so much.)

dirtyhippiefeet
dirtyhippiefeet

Dani Alexis, I’ve always thought the same! I started calling the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25, 9 months before Christmas on the liturgical calendar) the Feast of Mary’s Consent after a conversation with a girlfriend of mine who said “You know, maybe Mary’s house was like the sixth house on the block the angel went to, and the other girls he talked to were like ‘you know, I don’t really think I want to be pregnant, but thanks for asking” and the angel was like “Ok cool beans” and then Mary said yes and the angel and God were like ‘awesome! ’cause we don’t want to make someone miraculously pregnant without their consent.” which is a lot of added speculation to a mythical origin story anyway, but I like that addition to the narrative.

princessbonbon

I mean, some days I feel like “BAN CHILDREN FROM PUBLIC FOREVER”, generally in the presence of loud, painful children, but then I realise I am being unreasonable.
And this is a very good reason for me to not have kids.

I disagree with that-being someone who wants to keep kids out of inappropriate places in public (for instance, I doubt you want to ban them from places like Chuck E Cheese) does not automatically make you a person who should not have children.

Your simply not wanting to have kids is good enough reason for me. I know it should be for everyone else but we all know people are busy body nose pokers into business not theirs.

Those aren’t OK to force people to do, but forcing someone to carry a baby is?

Because baby. That is why! (Never mind it is not a baby but it could be a baby and who cares what women think? Not like they are people amirite?)

/sarcasm

Fitzy
Fitzy

can we please get the feminist version in more churches?

That reminds me of a substitute pastor my church had while I was in college. I made it home in time for the Maundy Thursday lunchtime service that year, and on the way to church my mother was telling me about how up-in-arms some of the parishioners were about the possibility that the diocese search committee might send us a woman pastor. The substitute pastor (who was male) had obviously heard some of the same bluster. So during the sermon, which was supposed to be reflection on the Last Supper, he broke off for a moment to ask why Paul’s letters were the only Biblical source anyone ever quoted on the subject of women in church leadership. He asked us to cast our minds ahead a few days to when we’d be reading the resurrection story in Matthew, and then quizzed the assembly:

To whom did the angel in the tomb reveal himself?

To two women: Mary and Mary Magdalene.

And what did the angel tell them?

That Jesus had risen.

And did the angel tell them to go home and wait for some men to figure it out?

No, he told them to tell everyone.

Now, the pastor concluded, does that sound like a God who doesn’t think women are capable of ministering and spreading his word?

I loved that guy.

Polliwog

I will never, never understand this sort of mentality. If I believed that God personally intended for women to be impregnated through rape, I would not worship that God. I find it unfathomable that anyone would. Maybe you still believe in that God – fine. But why would you want to worship or love or praise or obey a rapist God, any more than you’d worship the devil just because you believe he exists? (And really, how the fuck is a God who goes around instructing rapists to rape people superior to the common conception of the devil in the first place?)

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Polliwog: But you see, it’s good because God did it.

>_>

Mikey
Mikey

And the American Taliban goes mainstream. Remember folks, Iran was also a modern country before her religious freaks went hog wild.

Mikey
Mikey

The only way to top this is for these Baptist dumb fucks to start speaking in tongues on the campaign trail during the 2014 midterm elections.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

At best, Mourdock’s comment is basically “in the case of legitimate rape, God has a way of shutting that whole thing down”.

talacaris
talacaris

Or maybe people believe in an evil God, but say that he is good and praise him for fear of his punishments.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

I’ve always had a problem with the way Mary was represented. It always came across as a woman severly lacking in personality or free will. Her whole life revolved around being Christs mother and nothing else. I had that thought even as a little kid.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

@pilllowinhell

The Nativity story is pure nightmare fuel for me. It’s one of the things I’ve hated most about Christmas. Thank goodness I’m an atheist so I can focus on things like family and friends and shiny things and CAKE.

Amused

@pillowinhell:

Leo Taxil, however, put a very funny spin on the story.

Amused

@polliwog:

In Judaism, God is the source of both good and evil. Or rather, that dichotomy does not exist, at least not the way it does in Christianity. God is just God — an all-powerful, all-knowing entity whose motivations are shrouded in mystery. But you are required to be good in any event.

(The Coen Brothers’ “A Serious Man” is centered around that principle. The movie is brilliant.)

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@palmedfire if you can’t have furred babies, how about a feathered baby? If you can give them enough attention and stimulation, you can have a really great relationship with a parrot – even the small and common ones, like parakeets (budgerigar) and cockatiels, are loving, very smart, and can be hilariously entertaining. And there are plenty of them in sanctuaries and rescues, waiting to be adopted…

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

If God is simply God, and no dichotomy exists, then why the hell are Christian scholars so intent on twisting themselves into mental preztzels to explain a non existant problem?

We borrowed rather liberally from the Jewish peoples, couldn’t we have kept the sensible explanations too?

Does anyone else here get the feeling that when the stain of original sin was removed from Marys’ soul, her free will was removed as well? What would be the point of removing THE sin, if she could simply choose to defy Gods wishes at any time that pleased her?

marc2020
marc2020

Oh just fuck off you awful human being

jennydevildoll

Sen. Richard Mourdock, your Ialdabaoth god-dog can shove his “gifts” up his rot-tooth lined asshole, shit them back out, & feed it to you.

“Holy shit! Shit! Lord’s shit!”

“Balasti! Ompheda! I spit on your crapulous creeds!”

pecunium

Not to go back to the OP, but I have a sort of round-up post on the subject of Republicans and Rape

pecunium

Pomme d’Anna…. OMG! Almost worth the money to get a Mauviel pan which is good for that (and Tarte Tatin) primarily.

What’s a couple of hundreb bucks, weighed against baked, crispy, goodness?

pecunium

Because 1: Christians were not immune to the other culture in their millieu.
2: Judaism, at the time, was having some of that problem too.
3: Zororastrianism was a big thing.
4: Duality based religions were a big source of the non-Jews being converted from the Roman Empire.

pecunium

In doing that post on the OP, I found a Catholic-based site with some stupid logic on abortion.

“Abortion wasn’t an issue before the Greeks, because no one complained about it. It wasn’t an issue in Canaan, or among the Jews, or Moses would have talked about it.”

It fails to consider that Moses, etc. might not have complained of it (the way Hippocrates did) because, to the Jews, it wasn’t a moral issue.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

… Do these people tend to support the death penalty?

‘Cause, y’know, killing a human entity in order to [avoid/punish] the death of another human entity?

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

Yes, well, criminals are bad and evil and wrong and expensive, where as babies are pure and sweet and innocent and punishment for those vile sluts.

Now, I’m going to have a shower using my hydroclauric acid scrub to get the ickky off me.