abortion misogyny politics

Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock: When rape victims get pregnant, “it is something that God intended to happen.”

Here’s Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock, who apparently has some sort of direct line to God, talking about abortion and rape at a debate earlier tonight:

I just struggled with it myself for a long time but I came to realize: Life is that gift from God that I think even if life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.

Mourdock has now put out a statement trying to sort of retract what he said, and a spokeswoman for Romney, who has endorsed Mourdock, has distanced the presidential contender from Mourdock’s remarks.  See Politico for more details.

julesagray

oh moses smell the roses.
what a fucking choad.

aworldanonymous

But what if, you know, free will, or god not existing, or some unforseen circumstance that utterly disproves his argument?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

If men could get pregnant he wouldn’t be blathering on about how rape pregnancies are part of God’s plan.

OverlordTomala

*headdesk*

Need to know (@Oraclenine)

Evidently this guy thinks God is a real jerk.

jose
jose

Why do the American people vote for these knuckleheads, seriously.

Dumpster Jedi
Dumpster Jedi

If he suffers a sudden stroke, should we assume it is also god’s will that he be denied assistance in overcoming it?

Diogenes The Cynic
Diogenes The Cynic

Yay! Divine aforeknowledge, and free will on a thread!

Too bad his argument itself is a logical fallacy. I think its affirming the consequent, but I’m not 100% sure.

reymohammed
reymohammed

I suspect if he allowed himself to think that some pregnancies are a mistake, he’d have to admit he was one of them.

pecunium

And the Republicans try to say they are the party of choice for women.

OverlordTomala

@pecunium

And the Republicans try to say they are the party of choice to choose for women.

Fixed. 😀

Shiraz
Shiraz

Tumors are also something God intended to happen. Why bother to get them removed? Pffft.

A smart lady once said that if men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

Oh not the, “everything happens for a purpose” bullshit!

themisanthropicmuse

Following that logic when women get abortions it must be a part of god’s plan too as the plan encompasses *everything*. Of course, if that were true it would make that particular god a sadist but that’s neither here nor there.

freitag235
freitag235

I wonder why the rest of the world thinks America is occupied by crazy people?

Oh, I forgot.

We are.

gelar
gelar

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell.” Mr. Broun sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

This thread. These politicians. How long things like this have been going on. I’m just going to go rub my head against a cheese grater or something.

ozymandias42

Personally, I think it’s God’s will that I abort any fetuses that take up lodging in my uterus. I mean, he gave me gender dysphoria for a reason!

freitag: Hey, I’m a crazy person, and I’d NEVER say God wants women to get pregnant with rapebabies.

Cthulhu's Intern

Is it some new fad for congressional candidates to say things that are completely ridiculous and despicable about pregnancies from rape that I’m missing?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Well, if God wants the baby that a rape victim is carrying to be born then he can always mystically transport it into the womb of someone who actually wants to be pregnant. He’s God, right? He can do anything.

Meanwhile, I personally do not want to be pregnant, so if I find myself becoming pregnant I’m having an abortion. If God doesn’t like it he’s free to rescue the festus via the aformentioned miracle of inter-womb transportation.

Cthulhu's Intern

No, Cassandra, God only does what I want him to. Just like how the only Bible passages that exist are the ones that make me sound good and fit in with my prejudices. Religion is not a way of life, but something to use to confirm my bigotry and ignorance to myself.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

So I guess that means that I don’t have to throw out the jeans that I’m currently wearing even though they’re made of mixed fibers? This God is so much more user-friendly than the one that my granny worships. I guess that’s because she’s not a smug, rich white guy.

Cthulhu's Intern

No, I clearly said it’s what I* want, not you.
*is it possible to italicize on these comment fields?

cloudiah

Italicization: [i]word[/i] but replace square brackets with angle brackets

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

According to the Christian religion, I think the New Testament has pretty firmly established that if Yahweh wants a baby to happen he can make it happen without even raping anybody.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Not that Mary was given a whole lot of say in the matter …

I can’t think of Yahweh without thinking of the Great God Om now. All praise to Pratchett!

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

I’m not religious; but it seems to me a lot of religious people really don’t think much of their God.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

And again with the Pratchett. Which book was it where he was going on about how people end up with the gods they deserve? Angry people have angry gods, gentle people have gentle gods…and American fundamentalists have a good who appears to be a sociopath.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Or a god, even. Definitely not a good. God may work in mysterious ways, but “I wanted that lady to have a baby so I decided I’d have someone rape her to impregnate her” isn’t so much “mysterious” as “WTF is wrong with you?”.

Dvärghundspossen

I think that anyone who’s seriously convinced that a) abortion is murder, and b) preventing murder is more important than bodily integrity (you gotta agree with b if you’re gonna ban abortion), should seriously promote a policy with forced sterilisation of all boys at a young age (say, thirteen or something, before most get sexually active). Everyone could donate sperm before the sterilisation, and then all planned pregnancies could happen through insemination. (The reason for boys rather than girls getting sterilised would be that it’s really tricky to get a sterilised woman pregnant.)

I mean, that would pretty much put an end to abortions! Something we know that simply banning abortions doesn’t.

(Note to all trolls: I don’t belong to the group who think abortion is murder and more important than bodily integrity, and I don’t think we should do this.)

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

@Ozymandias

I agree with you. If God had intended me to spawn, I would not be tokophobic, the sound of babies and small children crying would not cause me extreme pain (I did once scream at a small child who screamed in a shopping centre because I was having a really, really bad day*; apparently the child looked terrified and ran off), and I would not have the nurturing instinct of a laundry basket.

I am amenable to the idea of robot children with a series of upgradable chassis. You can turn them off if they get too annoying.

* Yay anxiety, yay recent breakup! I’m ok now though. 🙂

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I can’t recall, but it sounds like it might be either Small Gods or Monstrous Regiment.

I’ve mentioned that the literalist, OT-heavy God is a psychopath when arguing with fundies. Didn’t get me anywhere, of course. 😉

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@CWS that’s why evolution invented kittehs, so the rest of us wouldn’t need to go through pregnancy and childbirth. I’ve always said I would have children if it would be a cute litter of fur babies. 🙂

thenatfantastic

@Kiwi Girl

I’ve often thought I’d be more amenable to infants if they were fluffy. Small, bald and loud just makes me want to hide.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

@Kiwi Girl

Kitties and puppies are adorable. 😀 And less likely to act like me as a teenager (I was an ANGSTY TERROR).

@thenatfantastic

I think the worst is when you get parents who have no idea that bedtime is not an appropriate public dinnertime, or think that kids don’t need entertainment at restaurants. I’ve been tempted to go up to tables and donate all my writing paper and pens just so I can have dinner in peace…

Also, you forgot stinky. Small, bald, loud, and stinky.

thenatfantastic

@CWS

I’ve actually done that. I used to keep paper and felt tips behind the bar when I worked in a pub for that exact purpose. It’s a weird thing to get into though, because I don’t want to sound like I’m advocating that people (specifically women, since statistically they do most of the childcare) shouldn’t go out in public once they’ve had children. Children can be unpredictable little bastards at the best of times, and there’s nothing their parents can do about it. My youngest sister, TinyFantastic is 8, and because she’s so much younger than the rest of us, she’s been brought up in mainly adult environments. I don’t have a problem taking her to ‘grown-up’ places at ‘grown-up’ times, because I know she’ll be entertained perfectly well by having a conversation with me or our sister or mum. But she is a wee oddity, and I wouldn’t take my niece (who is the same age as Tiny) to the same places, because she’s an attention-seeking little nightmare.

thenatfantastic

I think the problem is when you get more than one child, and for the parents it’s so novel to be out that they start letting the children entertain themselves so that they can actually have a conversation, and it’s easy to forget that when children entertain themselves, it will get VERY LOUD. So, like, don’t never take your children out, but do bring books/felt pens and a stern glare along with you.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Kiwigirl – yeah, I’ve always said the only way I’d have children is if they were kittens. Can’t abide human babies/toddlers/children generally but kittens? Yes please! 🙂

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

@thenatfantastic

I have a cousin (5) who is adorable and very well-behaved in restaurants and pubs. Some of that was her being good, but some of it was preparation: not taking her out too late, providing quiet toys for her to play with etc.
I mean, some days I feel like “BAN CHILDREN FROM PUBLIC FOREVER”, generally in the presence of loud, painful children, but then I realise I am being unreasonable.
And this is a very good reason for me to not have kids.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

Oh god this. One group (presumably multiple families), six kids under the age of 10, all bored, all overtired, all screaming and crying and banging on the table. This was around 8:30pm. I had to wear headphones and listen to loud rock music all the way through my mother’s birthday dinner. I value time with my family greatly. I was not happy.

palmedfire

But, but, but… what if you don’t want kids and are asthma triggered by kitties and doggies? ;_;

ec
ec

Get a pet turtle. Turtles = awesome. Or maybe a snake?

blitzgal

Oh sure you struggled with it for a long time, being someone who can never get pregnant. Fuck you.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

I would suggest an adorable reptile (lizards!) or I know some fur problems are only triggered by some types of fur, so maybe get a pet with different fur? (I know very little about asthma specifically.)

themisanthropicmuse

I think that one of the problems is that as a parent you learn to tune out the madness to a degree. Sometimes it’s a necessity for the sake of one’s own sanity, especially in larger families when the sound of little shrill voices is always present. However as parents we may forget from time to time that other people haven’t had the luxury of adapting coping mechanisms for the horrible noise children can produce. Luckily, I’ve only had a few bad days with my kids in public. Most of the time, my little ones are well behaved and quiet when we go out.

pecunium

Cassandra: Point of information, the only fibers you can’t mix are linen and wool. Cotton/poly, or Cotton/wool, or Acrylic/wool, etc., ad infinitumperfectly kosher.

blitzgal

His retraction is even worse.

“God creates life, and that was my point,” Mourdock said in the statement. “God does not want rape, and by no means was I suggesting that He does. Rape is a horrible thing, and for anyone to twist my words otherwise is absurd and sick.”

Bud, when you say that a pregnancy conceived through rape is God’s will, then by logical extension you are saying that the rape itself was God’s will. No word twisting required, douchecanoe.

hellkell
hellkell

I deeply wish these jackholes would shut up completely on the topics of rape and abortion. You have a dick? You get no say.

heidihi
heidihi

I second the vote for snake! I want (but don’t yet have) kids, and i’m allergic to fur, so in the meantime i got a sweet little hognose who has become the light of my life.

thenatfantastic

BoyFantastic is allergic to cats, so I’m not allowed kitties, but we are still thinking about getting rat-babies. Unfortunately none of our local friends could look after them properly if we both went away for a few days so that’s something we need to find a solution to first 🙁

1 2 3 4