antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? douchebaggery misogyny MRA oppressed men precious bodily fluids rape rape jokes reddit

Fake Spooge and Rape Jokes: A new frontier in Men’s Rights activism?

So over on the Men’s Rights subreddit – you know, the old one, not its newfangled would-be replacement – the fellas are complaining about how oppressive it is for a university to put up signs suggesting that consent is good and rape is bad.

Clearly, these signs are an insult to non-rapist men, in the same way that “don’t feed the animals” signs in zoos are an insult to those of us who aren’t planning to feed the animals.

Happily, the dude calling himself anti-everyone has come up with a way to fight back against this feminazi tyranny:

Is the Poster Revolution moving to its next stage?

2-D Man
2-D Man

The Rave Police are much better (and real*).

Now I have a new idea for my Shambhala 2013 costume.

DLZ
DLZ

What the fuck are you laughing about, manfag?

Rape cultures are nothing to joke about. My fucking brother overdosed on rape cultures, because you guys keep making rape cultures happen with jokes and stuff.

Cliff Pervocracy (@pervocracy)

manfag

You sound like a champion for all men.

And, yeah, keep proving that there’s no culture of indifference toward rape, by proudly parading your indifference toward rape. It’s all totally appropriate in the alternate universe where rape never actually happens.

thenatfantastic

in the alternate universe where rape never actually happens.

But in MRA-land, rape never does happen. It’s always not ‘rape-rape’ because the woman could, in 99.9999999% of cases, have done something differently – not worn a skirt, worn less make up, not left the house, not had breasts*, not spoken to any men, certainly not slept with any men, not teased men with having a vagina* and not letting them use it, &c.

In the hypothetical 0.0000001% of cases where the ‘victim’ has adhered to all their contradictory and baffling ‘rules’, there’s still no *actual* rape, because there’s not an actual rapist, just a man who has clearly just been tormented by women not letting him put his penis in them for too long, or all this confusing ‘consent’ malarkey.

(*I know you don’t have to be a woman to have breasts and/or a vagina, or have breasts and/or a vagina to be a woman, but these fuckbadgers don’t.)

blitzgal

One vote for banhammer of DLZ. He can take his act elsewhere.

Seconding banhammer vote.

Dvärghundspossen

It’s not just that nobody ever said you have to ask before every step you take or else you’re a rapist. Nobody even said you had to verbally ask at all in order not to be a rapist. I mean, people might hold up explicit VERBAL consent as an IDEAL, but nobody ever claimed that when a man and woman enthusiastically makes out and then takes off each others clothes and have fun sexytime, the man raped the woman just because he didn’t verbally ask. NOBODY said that EVER.

blitzgal

That argument from rape apologists is just a smoke screen, anyway. Recent research on the subject is crystal clear. Men who rape tend to rape multiple people, and they are fully aware that they are raping, whether their M.O. is stranger attacks or manipulation of women they know who are under the influence. And it’s a small percentage of men who are committing most rapes. It’s just a sad illustration of rape culture that a portion of men who will never rape are still willing to defend the actions of a very small percent of men who do rape.

Myoo
Myoo

And the really stupid thing is that these people often seem desperately unhappy[…]

I have noticed that. I don’t really read a lot of MRA sites except for what David and sometimes some of the commenters link to, but the impression I got is that they’re incredibly miserable. They don’t seem to be friends with one another, they’re just there to complain and often they will attack other MRAs viciously. Sometimes they will compliment others but it seems so impersonal, like they’re afraid to form any bonds.
If anyone here reads MRA stuff on a regular basis, can they confirm or disprove this impression?

ozymandias42

New rule: if you use slurs against men for not performing masculinity well enough, you are no longer allowed to claim to be an advocate for men.

Medium Dave
Medium Dave

Myoo, my experience of MRA’s has been that they’re intensely misanthropic as well as misogynistic… they’re aware, on some level, that “something” is preventing them from forming meaningful bonds with other people (whether it’s with women or other men). But unwilling to look in the mirror for the reason, they turn their unhappiness outward and blame it on women and “misandrist” society. (I’d be interested in hearing from former MRA-identified people about how they broke out of that mode of thinking.)

Viscaria
Viscaria

manfag

TELL ME MORE STORIES OF YOUR MOVEMENT’S FIGHT FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE

Wetherby
Wetherby

This is why it was so frustrating dealing with Mister Al. He was offered tons of eminently sensible, practical advice, much of it from real live women with extensive experience of dealing with shy, socially awkward men who were convinced that a barely visible lazy eye made them the Elephant Man – and had he taken any of it on board, he could have completely turned his life around by now. He’d certainly be a damn sight happier today.

But because he kept drinking the MRA Kool-Aid, despite clearly being bright enough to realize what a nihilistic dead end it led to, he just ended up going round in the same futile circles and getting more and more frustrated. It’s his problem and his loss, but it’s such a waste.

If you want a meaningful relationship with another human being, whether sexual or merely social, you’re going to have to compromise, and how well these mutual compromises are negotiated and executed is the key to how successful the relationship is likely to be. If you’re in a situation where you’re genuinely concerned that you might be allowed to fondle one breast but not the other and you can’t bring yourself to discuss upfront boundaries like sensible adults, at least one of you needs to grow up before taking things any further.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

(I’d be interested in hearing from former MRA-identified people about how they broke out of that mode of thinking.) – Medium Dave

I think aworld has told us a story about their experience along those lines before. Either aworld would, if willing, have to come give you a re-telling of it or someone else will have to find it, because I have no idea when or where it was (and I don’t remember the details).

I think there’s at least one other person around that’s had a similar experience, I don’t remember who it was though either. 🙁

/rubbish memory

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I agree. They will agree with each other, but they rarely act like friends. The Spearhead comments usually involve some of their regulars insulting and arguing with each other over the most trivial things. Look at how Elam left r/men’s rights to form his own echo chamber on Reddit. That’s because most of them are jerks that want to control other people. They refuse to compromise, and they refuse to learn from others. You can’t really form much of a cooperative coalition of disagreeable, power hungry assholes. It just doesn’t work.

thenatfantastic

They will agree with each other, but they rarely act like friends

Apart from Steelebutt, who wants to be every misogynist’s bestest buddy 4 lyf.

I wonder if anyone has ever responded to him? Poor Steelebutt, this is probably proof of systemic misandry somehow 🙁

Snowy
Snowy

Poor Steelebutt, he tries so hard 🙁

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

I like how the last four catvatars tell a little story (in reverse order). I shall call it One Cat and Some Tuna.

First, the cat is angry and wants tuna now. Next, the cat sees tuna and becomes super excited. Next, the cat eats tuna and loves it. And lastly, the cat is done and is teh happeh.

nwoslave

@CassandraSays
“The thing is, if we’re supposedly the malfunctioning ones, then why do so many of us have a long and happy history of successful relationships, while so few of them do?”

If someone has a history of relationships that means they’ve failed in previous relationships. A successful relationship is one that hasn’t failed. Only in feminist orthadoxy could repeated failure equal success. Destroyed lives is the cornerstone of feminism.

thenatfantastic

Can it be tofuna? I’m a vegan cat. We mainly hunt crisps and tea with soy milk.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

That’s awesome. I love it. XD

Not only that, he once had an English teacher criticize his writing, AND he’s had dates that wanted him to pay for their supper. Truly, no one has known pain and suffering like Steeletroll.

howardbann1ster
howardbann1ster

I grew up in a fundamentalist church that basically taught me to be a MRA. I got to hear rants like NWOs allatime. (my dad started in on my yesterday about the things to love about Bain Capital, I kid you not) I grew up believing that straight white men were the most oppressed people in America.

I’d call that pretty close. I know we had a thread where Aworld and I were chatting about it. A few google searches might dredge it up.

thenatfantastic

Truly, no one has known pain and suffering like Steeletroll.

At least no one made him sit in a hard chair.

*crosses fingers and does the ‘I hope that embeds correctly’ dance*

thenatfantastic

Bumflaps, I thought I had that then. It’s supposed to start at 0:48, although from 0:30 is good.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Aha! I had it in my mind that you were the other person I was thinking of, Howard. But I didn’t say anything because I thought if I did and I was wrong, i’d look like a complete foooool. 😀

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

because I thought if I did and I was wrong, i’d look like a complete foooool.

Then again, I tend to think that every time I post anyway. It’s just amplified if there’s the chance i’m being wrong somewhere. o.o

dualityheart
dualityheart

I am so sad and tired right now. My kitty was up all night vomiting and crying and I am terrified that he is blocked again. We just had to pay almost 2000 dollars to get him treated and we are completely out of money. My husband is taking him to the vet this morning and I am desperately hoping it is just a hairball or stomach bug. Any good thoughts would be much appreciated.

dualityheart
dualityheart

BTW. This is Nanasha.

*sends hugs and good vibes to Nanasha* Sorry to hear about kitty 🙁

Falconer
Falconer

@blitzgal: Thumbs up for Matt Bors!

Falconer
Falconer

@Nanasha: Wow, your comment wasn’t even up when I clicked “post!”

I’m really sorry to hear about your kitty, and I’m sending good vibrations and internet hugs your way.

blitzgal

Oh that’s terrible news. He has had intestinal blockages in the past? That poor little dude. I hope he turns out okay.

Freitag
Freitag

Nanash, I hope for the best for your kitty. *crossing fingers* Hang in there.

dualityheart
dualityheart

We have been feeding him a special vet prescribed wet and dry food diet but I have taken away all his dry food and heated his wet food slightly with some extra water to keep him from dehydrating. He ate it like a champ and was keeping it down for a bit but then he started retching so I picked him up and ran him to the sink. Luckily he did not keep retching or throw up so I am hoping this is an improvement.

But yeah. I just don’t know what I am going to do if it is serious. We rescued him from the shelter’s death row a couple years ago. He was already an adult and he is all black so they were just going to throw him away. I just can’t help but feel like I have failed him. 🙁

Nanasha, I am so sorry about your kitty! I hope he will be OK!

blitzgal

So that’s true — people don’t adopt black cats due to the superstition about them? That’s so freakin’ ridiculous.

You didn’t fail him. You’ve gone above and beyond to do everything you could for his health and gave him love. But don’t talk in past tense just yet — he may pull through. But every day of a loving home is one more day that a rescued animal would not have had.

I totally understand that feeling, though. I hand fed and watered my Max the last week of his life when he was poisoned by cat food, until I finally had to have him put down because he still couldn’t eat or drink on his own. I will still blame myself for his death for the rest of my life, because I didn’t know the food was killing him until it was too late. He didn’t show the standard signs of infection, unfortunately, so the vet didn’t even know. She thought it was “pancreatitis.” It wasn’t until my second cat also got sick that we figured it out but it was too late for Maxwell.

Freitag
Freitag

Nanasha, you haven’t failed your cat. You rescued him (I love black cats especially, because of that idiot superstition) and have given him a loving home. You can’t know his medical history before he found you, so don’t beat yourself up over what you’ve had no control over. Keep doing what you’re doing, and make sure he feels loved and safe.

Blitzgal, same for you. You did nothing wrong! Was it the tainted pet food that made the news a few years ago? You had no way of knowing. A few years ago I nearly killed our diabetic cat with an overdose of insulin. As it turned out, his diabetes was in remission but I didn’t know and gave him his regular shot. A trip to the emergency vet saved him, but there was major guilt about it. But I didn’t know that diabetes could reverse, and didn’t know. And you had no way of knowing that the food was toxic. Don’t blame yourself for what was out of your control.

People who open their hears and homes to shelter pets haven’t failed them. You’ve done them the greatest service that anyone can do. Give them love and safety and security, and know that you’ve done the very best you can.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

This paragraph is made of awesome and kitten hugs.

Wetherby
Wetherby

I’m just transferring a load of old MiniDV home movies to my hard drive, and I’m wincing at the sight of my then toddler son drinking milk and being fed milk chocolate – at the time we had absolutely no idea that he was totally dairy-intolerant, to such an extent that the last time he accidentally had anything with milk in it, he was practically bedridden for three days.

But you can’t beat yourself up about this kind of thing: not only did you not know, you had no plausible way of knowing. So what could you do?

howardbann1ster
howardbann1ster

Oh, Nanasha. That’s awful.

I lost a kitten this spring… I’ll never get to know why. I spent money until we came to the point where they couldn’t offer me any hope that more money would do any good, and it was money I didn’t have anyway.

It’s the saddest. (she was a black cat, too, with a tiny little white clerical collar)

It’s so sad that critters that do nothing but spread love everywhere they go live such a short life.

Just to connect this back to thread a little bit…

It was the first time I ever gave myself permission to cry when I was sad. I just sat in my bathtub and sobbed for an hour. It was incredibly cathartic.

It was the first time that I realized my dad, who I generally think of as pretty sensitive, is completely unable to do anything in the face of sorrow and mourning. I told him what had happened and he left the room to go get my mother.

I told him my cat had died, and he had to leave the room and go get my mother.

(and ice cream)

That’s what the patriarchy does to men.

In the end there were only two things she really enjoyed. Being outside in the sun, and being held. She would still purr, right to the end. So I took her into the sun and held her while she slipped away.

A few months before a close friend’s twelve-year-old had lost her cat, the one that she’d had since she was a baby. And she was completely broken up about it. And, being religious, she asked about cats and heaven. I told her, I don’t know about that, but I know that while he was here with you, you made every day heaven to him.

Dracula
Dracula

Best wishes to you and your cat, Nanasha. You haven’t failed, you’ve done your best to do right by your kitty. That’s all anyone can do.

Myoo
Myoo

It sucks that your cat is sick, Nanasha. I hope it’s nothing serious and they get better soon.

blitzgal

Ugh, that poor kid. Does that mean even most baked goods are out for him? It’s really tough with dietary restrictions. I know one girl who is allergic to those pheno-somethings that are in soda (and lots of other things). There are so many things she can’t eat. I think it’s not even an allergy, her body literally cannot process them.

I’m better about Max now. It’s been four years. He was likely hit by e.coli or salmonella, in Iams food, which I will never buy again for the rest of my life. It was about a year after the other pet food outbreak, which was something that caused kidney failure. Logically I know that I’m last in the “blame” category — honestly, after blood tests and everything we did at the vet, the vet should’ve known it wasn’t pancreatitis. But Iams is number one to blame. They killed my cat.

But it’s really hard to get over the fact that I was literally poisoning him every day. Sophie is lucky; when she got sick she got the straight-forward symptom of bloody diarrhea, so when I took her in, they instantly said, “Infection.” THAT’S when I put it together and realized it was the food, but by then Max was dead.

pecunium

I’ll be in Chicago starting tonight, for Chicon (Shaennon, are you attending?). So I’ll be a bit less active.

dualityheart
dualityheart

I just feel all guilty for the times I shushed him. He is part Siamese and very chatty but his meow sounds like a baby’s cry. It actually used to make my breasts let down when I was lactating and breast feeding my daughter. I also feel guilty because we live in an apartment and not a house, so his territory is much smaller. And the upstairs neighbor’s cat is a territorial asshole but we do not have the funds or finances to move.

I am also set to take unpaid maternity leave in less than two months. At that time, only my husband’s part time job will be bringing in money. We already spent a good chunk of my leave savings for his operation, and if he needs another, we wont be able to cover rent and food.

Plus, my work has changed my insurance requirements, so now I will be forced to pay my entire 1600 dollar per month premium to go on leave and still have health coverage. And did I mention that I have PCOS and Hashimotos Thyroidosis so I need health care to cover my meds and labs to keep me and my family healthy?

Blah. It just goes to show that life has a way of kicking you extra hard when you’re down.

Freitag
Freitag

Ah, Nanasha, that sucks. But indoor cats can live happy lives, even with a small territory. Make sure he’s got comfy places to lie down, stimulating toys (that red dot is Teh Enemy!), and lots of love. Maybe this is a temporary thing and not another blockage. If it’s hot where you are, maybe it’s a complication from the weather. It does happen, sometimes.

Falconer