a voice for men actual activism alpha males antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? domestic violence facepalm misogyny MRA oppressed men paul elam rape rape jokes rapey the poster revolution has begun

The whole world is watching … A Voice for Men “activists” making asses of themselves

Well,I got carried away there. It’s not literally the whole world. Only a teensy weensy portion of it.

The fellows at A Voice for Men, you see, evidently stung by criticism that they aren’t activists, have begun engaging in real, honest-to-goodness real-world activism, by which I mean that a handful of them, some in Canada and at least one in Australia, have been putting up posters advertising the AVFM website.

In other words, their activism consists of putting up posters for a website whose only activism thus far has consisted of putting up posters for itself.

Well, eventually they’ll get the hang of it, I guess.

In any case, the A Voice for Menners have discovered something about activism: if you do things that are offensive enough, people will be offended. And so they’ve managed to offend some people in Canada and in Australia where their posters have gone up. In Australia, there have even been a couple of news articles written about them! For example, one in Melbourne’s Herald Sun says:

A MAN who is littering the city with posters promoting a website that encourages men to support rapists has declined the opportunity to explain himself.

The website, which the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, is campaigning to get men sitting on juries for rape trials to “vow publicly to vote not guilty, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the charges are true”. …

The website’s publisher, Paul Elam, told the Herald Sun he was too busy watching the movie Air Force One to be interviewed, but later said by email he stood by the campaign.

Ooh! How very, very alpha of him.

Other articles (see here and here) describe the posters as “hate posters,” because one of them seems to suggest that women provoke domestic violence against themselves. The text of the poster reads “Domestic Violence Women Are Half the Problem.”

In fact, Elam and company are trying to suggest that women instigate half of all domestic violence, and thus are “half the problem,” but they’re so wedded to the easily misunderstood “half the problem” slogan that they somehow cannot seem to get this idea across in poster form. (This idea is itself incorrect, but that’s a whole other kettle of angry dudes.) Elam and company don’t quite seem to understand that an important part of activism is actually conveying your ideas to the general public rather than simply provoking people.

You can’t buy this kind of publicity!

Well, technically, you could, but no one would, because no one would willingly pay money for a publicity campaign that makes them appear to be hateful assholes — and in fact, even a teensy bit more hateful than they actually are.

So, congratulations, I guess?

If anyone wants to help AVFM in its publicity campaign, the super-sarcastic poster below, and a number of other poorly thought out and badly designed posters, can be downloaded from AVFM here by “anyone who wants to print and distribute them.”

Note: THIS IS A REAL AVFM POSTER. I didn’t make it up. See here.

some guy bored with your schtick

“Yes, the civil rights movement was all about bumper stickers and posters. I hear Gandhi was a big fan too.

You fail so hard.”

My father, in the 70s, started a support group for people that had his rare genetic disease. He passed away from it, but his group is still going strong, national, and having raised a lot of money towards research.

Some of his first steps were to put out classified ads nationally. Then to write newsletters (think websites) and obtain the names and addresses of victims and their families and researchers and *raise awareness*.

I don’t know how Gandhi was able to gather so many supporters without an awareness raising step, but more power to him.

Ugh

Rare genetic disease = serious problem.
Not being allowed to abuse your wife and kids = not a serious problem.
Not having as many sexual partners as you’d like = not a serious problem.

cloudiah

A few more free posters for MRAs & AVfM:

some guy bored with your schtick

“Ball beats his toddler bloody in a fit of rage.”

Yeah, you’re right. I don’t condone in any way what he did to his child or the violent actions he called for.

That said, while he did hit his child (he says he slapped her) and her lip did bleed, that is really not what you convey when you intentionally distort the reality by saying “Ball beats his toddler bloody in a fit of rage.”

You and I should agree to stick to the facts and leave out the reality distortion field, agreed!?

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Ghandi didn’t need to raise awareness of the problem. Everyone knew what was being done to them. What he did was draw them together and work out a way to peacefully (for the most part) work against it. They needed that level of organization to draw the rest of the worlds attention to what the people of India were going through.

some guy bored with your schtick

“Rare genetic disease = serious problem.
Not being allowed to abuse your wife and kids = not a serious problem.
Not having as many sexual partners as you’d like = not a serious problem.”

” Not having as many sexual partners as you’d like = not a serious problem.”

Heh. Have you seen Hannah Rosin’s piece in the Atlantic? You should stop oppressing women.

aworldanonymous

Speaking of NWO, I haven’t seen him in a while, has he actually decided to do something productive with his life?

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

You’re right and I’m wrong about ball’s last name. Since we’ve gotten that out of the way are you going to acknowledge the substance of my post? If you want to harp on my error, feel free.

But it won’t change the fact that an abusive father who who advocated for terrorism is still a shitty representative for father’s rights.

And bumper stickers are not activism.

Rutee Katreya

[quote] I think you have a distorted view of what happened[/quote]
Die in a fire, like Ball did. Because you are an asshole of the highest caliber if you won’t admit that the guy KNEW he was an abuser, and just felt it was his divine right to have his children no matter what he did, including beating them.

Ugh

He beat his child. This caused her to bleed. He did so because he could not control his rage. What I said was factual. Child-beating is child-beating. I don’t expect the courts to say “oh, she only bled a little, I guess he’s a good father.” Isn’t it reality-distorting to reduce what he did to “slapping,” which is often not painful at all?

You called his suicide activism. That implies that what was done to him was an injustice. If you’re arguing that it’s unjust to take children away from child abusers, then you are condoning it.

hellkell

Some guy, piss off. I could go into all the ways what you just wrote about Ball is completely fucked up, but we’ve already done that subject to death with better trolls than you; go read the thread.

some guy bored with your schtick

“And that’s why the MRM fails. There’s no consensus on how they are being oppressed, because they aren’t being oppressed.”

And that’s why feminism fails. We have sex positive feminists that hate radical feminists and we have 3rd wave feminists that hate 2nd wave feminists. And we have pro-choice feminists and pro-life feminists that hate each other….

“I am large. I contain multitudes!” — Walt Whitman.

I hate that quote, but it is true.

I absolutely do agree how frustrating it is that there often is little consensus. Well it is a nascent movement.

It is frustrating also in a forum of feminists to hear one person say, “Not all feminists are like that!” (NOFALT). A fun example can be found in the past two days by Heather over at Zinnia Jones’ blog where Heather (guest blogger) describes that radical feminist theory is really and truly supportive of the transgendered and everyone is mistaken to think that radical feminists are transphobic.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Some dumbdude, any strike to any person that leaves them bloody is too fucking much!!

That child also likely landed a couple feet away on its ass! Kepp in mind the child was a toddler! Being beaten by a full grown man! And likely thought its life was about to end.

Christ you’re an asshole!!! How can you possibly write “it was just one smack”?

Oh my fucking God!! Pillowinhells rage o meter just hit K2 meteo strike!!!

Fuck fuck fuck.

I’m out. Someone please grind some sense of fucking human decency into this disgusting slimne of a failed make a human kit.

Rutee Katreya

Ugh

Feminism fails because it’s a real movement with real people debating real issues!

The MRM is so much more focused, because the only two points that matter are:
1. Women suck.
2. Abusers should not face consequences.

Everything else is just details.

some guy bored with your schtick

“Now, Some Guy, I find it kind of hilariously telling that in your few weeks of being here, the only time you’ve challenged me directly – especially considering this isn’t our first exchange- is when I’ve made a mistake. And it was a mistake, I’m perfectly capable of acknowledging that. ”

I’ve actually addressed you directly before.

Hmm, you seem unable to acknowledge your mistakes without getting angry and filled with rage.

cloudiah

An uncoordinated postering “campaign” that is happening in 2 locations globally, and that has a message that is unintelligible to most viewers, is not the first step in raising awareness.

hellkell

You’re reaching, pipsqueak. The MRM can’t even get up a meetup.

some guy bored with your schtick

“That wasn’t the point. The point was David and you all claiming that raising awareness is not a step in activism.

Awareness of nonexistent problems you’ve invented out of wholecloth is not a step in fixing oppression.”

This was in fact the thesis of David’s post. I am just here to point out how boring his schtick is.

Pam
Pam

Yeah, they’re being oppressed because women are taking their jobs, and they’re being oppressed because women aren’t working and are leeching off of them, and they’re being oppressed because women dress too darn sexy, and they’re being oppressed because women aren’t dressing sexy enough, and on and on ad nauseum. Basically, they’re being oppressed by the existence of women.

Ugh

Also, to state that a child abusing terrorist is a good example of what MRA activism looks like.

hellkell

Duly noted, some guy. But you’d think you could just state your boredom once and then fuck off for good.

Rutee Katreya

Oh no no no, we’re way past that, Boring Asshat; you sat here, and told us that an abusive terrorist was TOTES MCGOTES A DESERVING FATHER YO. You are beyond just talking about how ‘boring david’s schtick is’. And if it’s so boring, also? Fuck off. I just don’t go to sites that bore me, I don’t whine about how terrible they are to anyone.

Hey pillowhell,

“Christ you’re an asshole!!! How can you possibly write “it was just one smack”?”

Your tantrums aside, I never wrote that. Check your meds dear.

Ugh

In a sense, they are under Schrodinger’s Oppression. They are simulataneously being leeched off by women and being emasculated by women working for themselves. Women are simultaneously too slutty and not putting out enough.

Whenever a troll puts together a comment, the waveform collapses into one or the other. But then, in the midst of a paragraph break, the oppression is no longer being observed and re-randomizes.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

Yeah you seem really bored….

This is really cute. Show me which part of what I wrote was filled with rage. Or explain to me hiw what I wrote was rage-filled, while Thomas Ball slapping a toddler so hard she bled must be recounted in atone of which you approve. What’s wrong with saying he beat his daughter?

Effie
Effie

LOL, “poster revolution.” The only thing these posters accomplished was a blip in a local news reel that was forgotten about by the time Joe Sixpack got a beer from the fridge during commercials. And these tools still haven’t managed an actual meetup.

If Occupy accomplished nothing else, thousands of people camping out and tens of thousands marching the streets across the country got the lazy-ass corporate-owned media to stop bleating manufactured hysteria about the deficit and actually talk about income inequality for a few weeks.

Sharculese

which is of course why you cant seem to stop talking about it…

hellkell

Fuck off, you patronizing shithead. Seriously, crawl back to whatever rock you oozed out from under, and eat a bowl of bees.

hellkell

^that was to some guy’s “check your meds dear” comment. My blockquote disappeared.

Effie
Effie

Also, actual revolutions take a lot more work than whining about your imaginary problems on a website no one’s ever heard of.

some guy bored with your schtick

What Ball did to his daughter is deplorable, and I condemn it.

His account, and it’s been awhile, I don’t recall his ex-wife stating otherwise, is that he slapped his kid once.

The definition of “beat” on the web is a repetitive action.

1. to strike violently or forcefully and repeatedly.
2. to dash against: rain beating the trees.

I can’t condone what he did, and I think it was outrageous.

I think hitting a baby is outrageous and terrible behavior.

I don’t understand why that wasn’t sufficient for you or others and you had to demonize and is represent a terrible act even further by distorting it with the word “beat” which describes something Ball did not do.

Sharculese

Your tantrums aside, I never wrote that. Check your meds dear.

this is kind of rich from the dude whos in a snit because he doesnt get to completely control the framing of a discussion of a third-rate terrorist and confessed child abuser

Here’s another one:

American Heritage Dictionary: beat
Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary
(bēt)

v., beat, beat·en (bēt’n), or beat, beat·ing, beats.

v.tr.

To strike repeatedly.
To subject to repeated beatings or physical abuse; batter.
To punish by hitting or whipping; flog.

cloudiah

Oh gawd, he’s changing into dictionary troll, the worst kind of troll! (Because the most boring.)

Hint to Mr. Ennui: Both of those definitions have sections that describe what Ball did to his child.

Sharculese

What Ball did to his daughter is deplorable, and I condemn it.

lol

‘thomas ball may have been a shit head but i’m still gonna whine endlessly about how mean you guys are being to him. no, i don’t understand why nobody takes my fake social justice movement seriously.’

cloudiah

More blatant hint, because I don’t think your reading comprehension is the best:
to strike violently
to punish by hitting

hellkell

Oh, yay! Dictionary Troll is here.

Ugh

Notice the c definition? “To punish by hitting or flogging.”

That is the definition people mean when they say “he beat his kids.”

Two dictionary troll comments and not one “Yeah, maybe it was just that he lost his kids.” Kinda sums up your “activism,” doesn’t it?

hellkell

I’d say dashing your hand against the face of a toddler counts as a beating, but then I live in this fucking reality, so don’t mind me.

Ugh

The hilarious thing is that while dictionary trolling, he ended up posting a definition that fits exactly what I was talking about.

I guess he hoped we were so bored with his comments we wouldn’t read to the end.

Ugh

The sad thing is that he somehow thinks changing the word from “beat” to “strike so hard she bled” would change the substance of this discussion.

hellkell

Totally off topic–but that might be what this thread needs–anyone read any good books lately? I feel a Kindle spree coming on.

Anathema
Anathema

Like Katz said, just about the only way anyone is going to understand the pear poster is if they’ve been watching the MRM through feminist sites. (And even then, the whole pear = rape thing makes so little sense that people who have the proper background knowledge have commented here saying that they still didn’t understand it.)

You know, if I were going to put up posters in order to raise public awareness or recruit people to support a movement, there are a few of things I would do, like:

1.) Make the posters simple and easy to understand. I’d use one or two sentences. Possibly three at the most, and they’d be short sentences.

2.) Target people who are undecided or who are sympathetic to the cause but don’t know much about the topic.

3.) Not expect my audience to have a lot of background knowledge. If the posters only make sense to the people who already know and care about a particular topic, then I’m not going to reach my target audience.

4.) Make sure that the posters make sense. If I absolutely have to rely on my audience have extensive background knowledge to understand my poster, then that poster had better not be incomprehensible to about half the people who actually have that background knowledge.

But then again, that’s just how I’d do it. I’m sure that the MRA method of doing the exact opposite is much more effective than anything my fluffy pink ladybrainz might come up with.

Sharculese

‘tired of flagrant society’s anti-child-beating bias? avoiceformen.com. come rage out with paul-e and the entire pretend internet tough guy crew.’

cloudiah

Yeah, you feminists are so unfair. How dare you say Ball “beat” his child! He merely hit her hard enough to draw blood. Clearly, by using the word “beat” you are exposing yourselves as rage-filled, illogical/hysterical women who need to be medicated.

some guy bored with your schtick

It’s really pretty hard to find any definition of beat that does not emphasize the repeated nature of the strikes.

Since feminists are intelligent and literate, the misrepresentation must be intentional. But why? That he hit is kid is terrible enough for most of us.

Sharculese

fuck

cloudiah

hellkell, Fiction? Non-fiction? Any particular genres? Can you name some books you’ve read recently and liked?

These days I am only reading non-fiction, mostly about civil rights stuff in the West. I can give you some good recommendations, but it’s kinda idiosyncratic… 🙂

Sharculese

hey some guy has anyone ever told you that your passive aggressive smarm is creepy as all fuck?