antifeminism feminism FemRAs MRA reddit

Is Reddit’s Feminism subreddit run by MRAs?

Oh, Reddit, where the demographics are so skewed that virtually every discussion amongst and/or about women ultimately gets taken over by dudes doing the old “what about the dudes” routine. It’s no secret that the TwoXChromosomes subreddit has long been overrun with MRAs and FeMRAs. And now it’s become pretty clear that the Feminism subreddit has gone MRA as well.

If you want all the details of the drama, here’s a thread in the subreddit in which the feminists who’ve stuck with the subreddit take on the MRAs and MRA-symps amongst the mods.

Check out the Feminisms and SRSWomen subreddits if you want to discuss feministy stuff on Reddit without having to deal with endless derailing from MRAs and other shitlords.

EDITED TO ADD:  More links:

SRS takes on the whole mess (lots of useful links).

SRS links to r/feminism mods defending MRAs

An r/feminism thread about the recent Captain Awkward posts about creeps that is, naturally, full of endless hang-wringing about the evils of “creep-shaming.”

(Thanks, Cliff, for the links.)

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

C, if they haven’t said they find them offensive then I’m happy. Actually I think they are better alternatives because they highlight the different aspects of behaviour that are making the person uncomfortable.

Cliff Pervocracy

Pear_tree – I’m uncomfortable with the idea that people who are feeling threatened by someone else are required to explain that threat in only the most polite and helpful ways.

Nanasha
Nanasha

I have a really close friend who has Aspergers and one of the things that we have both learned is that what makes our friendship work the best is when we are overtly clear and direct with one another. To some extent, this is why we hit it off in the first place. I hate being ambiguous in my words and actions because that is how my mom perpetuated her abuse on me. So when I met him, I actually was relieved that both of us preferred a direct and open dialogue because even though I do not have a spectrum disorder, my preferred method of communication is very open mainly because most of the creeps and abusers use unclear situations and language to their advantage- in essence, constructing “plausible deniability” even though you know exactly what they are doing and feel rightly creeped out.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

The dude who went down in my memory as Mr. Creepy (I mentioned this on the other thread–he was in my Spanish class and harassed me the whole year, including stealing my homework when my back was turned so I would have to deal with him) was in no way socially awkward and/or a person with Aspergers. He was a class clown, and all the boys thought he was great and the girls thought he was creepy as all fuck. I’m a hell of a lot more socially awkward than he was, which just made it hard for me to deal with his behaviors.

Pear_tree–I think “creepy” is a good word for the intrusive behaviors that Mr. Creepy did because it does have bite and they hate it, and most of the creepers in the sexualized, female-targeting style that Captain Awkward was talking about know what they are doing. Fighting back on using “creeper” for them just means denying people, usually women, the right to label their own experiences and decide what they will and will not put up with.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

I have Aspergers, and what I decided to do about it is to start living in residence at university in order to force myself to be in a social environment 24/7 so that I can force myself to learn how to be the adorable quirky kind of awkward instead of the creepy kind of awkward.

Best of luck to ya. But keep in mind that there are NO guarantees. Some people in that residence may find you creepy or “weird” and not wish to associate with you so that’s something you’ll have to learn to cope with.

“Creepy” is very much a subjective term rather than an objective one as those who define it always have their own personal definition. If you have abnormal neurological ticks like I do, there’s always going to be someone who finds you creepy no matter where you go and what you do.

Lastly, I choose not to have the slightest bit of sympathy for those women who label any guy they don’t like or find unattractive as “creepy”. You don’t have to like everbody, but you do have to learn to get along with people whom you are repulsed by and who even make you a little uncomfortable.

hellkell
hellkell

Yeah, pear_tree, I’m going to disagree. If a guy is upset at being called creepy, perhaps he should look at the behavior that caused him to be called that. Most creepers know exactly what they’re up to.

Falconer
Falconer

When I moved countries, because words have different meanings and some are offensive in some countries and not others, I made a general rule that if someone finds a word offensive then I shouldn’t use it within reason.

That’s understandable. “C**t” is used differently in the UK and the US.

AD&D had a whole boxed set in the 90s that was written in a faux-Cockney kind of argot. The term “berk” was thrown about with abandon, as a term for “adventurer” (“cutter” was another, more violent one). The problem with “berk” is that it’s short for “Berkeley hunt,” rhyming slang for that word I done used up there.

Trying to cut down on those words, I can understand and support. I’m less convinced when it comes to words and phrases with murkier histories (there aren’t many, but they are there).

There are some web sites out there where the commentariat have taken it upon themselves to excise language that might be stepping on someone’s foot, or otherwise problematical.

The textbook example is the phrase “rule of thumb.” There are a couple of different origin stories for the phrase. One of those is that it summarizes the quick-and-dirty shortcuts experienced carpenters can use — measuring short distances with one’s thumb, from the tip to the first joint.

The other one is that it was once English law that a man could beat his wife with a rod no thicker than his thumb.

Now, that’s a disturbing story, and there is some documentary evidence for this idea, largely resting on a judgment which doesn’t seem to have been preserved. By no means do I want to erase the history of domestic violence, but I don’t think it’s quite fair to excise the phrase and never use it based on a story that could well not be true. The phrase “rule of thumb” has an origin that’s so murky that I don’t think it should be an instant black mark if someone should use it.

It’s like language should be like Caesar’s wife — beyond even the thought of reproach. If someone could find a problematical etymology, that’s it, don’t want people thinking we’re assholes, we’ll just stop using this language.

But don’t let me tell you what to do. I’m just explaining my thinking, not trying to dictate.

Falconer
Falconer

Certainly I’m not going to stop using “creepy” because some people who have a really odd view of the world are looking for words to fight against in imitation of a much older, much more successful civil rights movement.

myxozoan

@Pear_tree: If I find it offensive to be called “racist”, does that mean that I can say racist shit and it would be wrong to call me racist?

Falconer
Falconer

We might be more inclined to believe you when you say you’re on the spectrum, Toaster, if you weren’t so much of a lying douchebag the rest of the time.

aworldanonymous

@ Monsieur Sans Nom

Oh I’m well aware of this, The way I see it is that it’s best to not let it get to me, most of the people I’ve talked to who used to find me creepy only thought that way because I’m tall, have a large frame, and keep to myself. Usually when people get to know me the creepiness factor goes away, what I’m really focused on is opening up to people and being less anxious around them.

Cliff Pervocracy

lauralot89

People don’t have to like people.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Cliff Pervocracy

Men can say what they want where ever they want.

Nope! Men can say what they want in forums that are either public property or their own property! You don’t own Manboobz’s servers or Reddit’s, so the owners of those servers are free to decide what gets hosted there!

This seems to be the problem with modern day women. Men are ridiculing you not because you’re women. you’re being ridiculed for the things you say and do.

How is it a stupid question? If both parties are drunk, then both parties are either guilty of rape or neither is. Otherwise what you’re saying is the man is responsible for both their actions.

If a woman feels a guy is being creepy, but the guy doesn’t feel he’s being creepy, why are her feelings correct and his feelings incorrect.

No one is asking the man to feel afraid. We are only asking that he not demand the woman pretend she isn’t afraid.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D

We probably all read this here as I learned about it from this site, but relinking that Jezebel article about why dudes don’t like being called creepy: http://jezebel.com/5903883/why-guys-really-hate-being-called-creepy

aworldanonymous

So, aside from a bunch of stuff about body language that I have been physically incapable of memorizing. When I have good intentions, and am trying to not be a creep, how do I actually not be a creep?

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Cliff- *high five* (if wanted, that is).

Of course NWO listening to reason and logic is about as probable as a pumpkin turning into a carriage.

heidihi
heidihi

@MSN, there’s no guarantee anywhere that anyone will ever find anyone ‘not creepy.’ Or ‘nice.’ Or ‘hot’ or ANYTHING because those are subjective opinions based on the feeling of the person holding those opinions and guess what we are all entitled to our own feelings ta daaaaa what is this like, 2nd grade?

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

I’m trying to imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if feminists suddenly took over r/mensrights.

The MRAs would be screaming about how the feminists are trying to suppress their voices

Paul Elam would be writing another hate-filled diatribe about how feminists need to suffer pain but totally not in a violent way you guys!

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

@ aworldanonamous–I can’t promise you that you’ll never creep someone out, but the first thing I’d tell you is to be careful about other people’s personal space and not get to close to them. If you don’t feel comfortable reading signals that tell you to get closer, don’t get closer. Also, if you can, pay attention to any situations where you might be blocking someone’s way out. The creepiest goddamn thing my harasser would do is lean over me while I cowered at my desk. Other women might have other triggers, but that’s mine.

Also, don’t make gross sexualized comments, but I doubt that was your problem. If you can’t read situations well, don’t talk about sex unless the other person starts it.

fembot

Of course women are people, but that doesn’t mean your opinions are worth anything or have any value. Ohhhh, you expect to be taken seriously “because” you’re a woman.

I don’t expect people to value my opinions because I’m a woman. I expect them to value and respect me because I am a human being with intelligence, not a walking vagina warmer.

The only people who think they’re “ridiculing” me are misogynistic asshats like you on the internet. I am well liked and respected in real life, something you probably know nothing about, judging by your miserable nature.

aworldanonymous

@WordSpinner

I think my biggest issue is that my ability to pick up on nonverbal cues is somewhat impaired, and I’m terrified about the idea that I might be making someone else feel uncomfortable unknowingly, which leads to the somewhat heavy anxiety problems I have. I really never mean any harm, but it’s hard for me to convey that when I am literally completely blind to what the other person is thinking. I guess the best I can do is try not to push boundaries while I’m getting to know people, and as I become more familiar with them, explain my disorder and the fact that I need time to become accustomed to a particular person’s set of quirks, and/or the fact that sometimes I need people to overtly state if I’m making them feel uncomfortable.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D

@ aworldanonymous- That sounds like a peachy solution! There have got to be aspergers support forums out there- why not hit them up for advice? But, ya know, don’t sweat it too much. Everyone fucks up social encounters, even those of us who pick up on non-verbal cues, so it isn’t the end of your social universe if a few people misunderstand you or just don’t like you. Learn from it as best you can, but don’t dwell, and move on to the next person who might get along with you just fine.

aworldanonymous

I guess I’ll stick with that then, thanks.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

aworldanonymous–yeah, I can understand that. I have some similar problems, but I worry about coming across as annoying (I’m five feet tall and female. I’d have to work at it to come across as threatening). I’d say that you can probably do it. But I think you’re probably doing the best you can. Also, if you read the Captain Awkward letters you’ll see what kinds of behaviors get you labelled as the creeper in the group, and they actually aren’t socially awkward behaviors. Socially awkward != sexual assault and demands that women take their tops off.

I will say this–most of the guys who freaked me out the most were actually very socially competent and knew exactly what they were doing, and could get away with it because they knew to skirt the line of acceptable behaviors. Oh, sure, they fake obliviousness, but only when they’re talking to women. If you are completely oblivious when talking to guys too, you’re more likely to get slotted in as socially awkward and not creepy (which for most women implies predatory.)

hellkell
hellkell

Om Nom: nope, I don’t have to like anyone. And really, how many people who aren’t teenagers call someone creepy because they’re not attracted to them? That excuse from MRAs is bullshit. Maybe you’re unattractive because you’re creepy.

Xardoz
Xardoz

Oh boy, I hope NWO makes good on his threat to read Ayn Rand. We can add “Randroid” to his list of kook credentials.

CROSSES FINGERS

aworldanonymous

@Wordspinner, I actually got a letter of mine posted on Captain Awkward, I still have to go back and read most of the comments, I’ve been really busy getting ready for university lately I’ve hardly had the chance yet, but from what I have said so far, they’ve been giving me some incredibly sound and well thought out advice on how to cope with my AS.

xardoz

Also, the only way /r/feminism is going to get better is if some well-regarded feminist requests a takeover of the sub here:

Shaenon

Dear Angry Dudes Complaining About “Creep-Shaming”:

You should feel shame. At the very least, you should be politely embarrassed to learn that your behavior makes people uncomfortable and afraid. If you instead respond by getting all huffy and demanding that people keep their discomfort to themselves, you need some kind of remedial Being a Human class.

It’s particularly…well, creepy…to see guys complaining about the Captain Awkward posts, because those were very, very much not cases of innocent Aspergery woobies who just didn’t grok social cues. They were aggressive harassers who had scared all the women in their social circles away with relentlessly obnoxious behavior, including one serial rapist. Oh, but won’t someone think of the poor rapist’s feelings? If a girl called him creepy, he could be sad!

And honestly, and I’m saying this as someone who’s not quite neurotypical herself: if you have trouble with social skills, fucking learn. An Asperger’s diagnosis is not a free pass to be an asshole.

Love,
Shaenon

Steele
Steele

I would bet a horse that the Boobz King didn’t expect anyone to actually follow his links – gullible as his commentariat is. However, a quick check reveals that really, acknowledging men’s issues at all qualifies a space as “taken over by MRAs”. In other words, in Boobzspeak, only misandry of the highest order is “feminist”. Quite revealing, I should say.

Sharculese

i’m not reading reddit because yaaaaaawwwn, but i cant see any possible reason for believing serial liar mikey varpole’s claims on this point

Captain Bathrobe

Well, if Steele says it, then it must be true. It’s not like he’s ever been wrong about anything before.

fembot

Oh shut up, Butthorn.

cloudiah

@Semi-SteeleHornPole, To bet a horse you have to have a horse. Do you have a horse, punk?

Cliff Pervocracy

I’ll bet a horse that Steele’s fallback position is “well, okay, actually the links do say what he claimed, but I bet you never checked that!

excuse me vile jester’s fool

mutantlover

Also, come check out r/SRSFeminism!

(and thanks for posting on this – it’s been a ridiculous couple of days)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Incorrect on both counts. There are some environments in which one might be forced to tolerate the presence of people whom one finds repulsive or who make one uncomfortable, but there is no reason why one has to learn to get along with them in general. People always have the right to walk away from those whose company they do not enjoy, for whatever reason they choose, even if other people think it’s a stupid reason.

You have this odd (and consistent) idea that in a situation where person A is making person B uncomfortable it’s always person A’s responsibility to just live with the discomfort, and not hurt person B’s feelings by telling them to stop whatever they’re doing to cause the discomfort, avoiding them, etc. This is not how the world actually works, nor is it how the world should work. If you find that you’re consistently making other people uncomfortable then it’s your responsibility to either fix that problem via changes in your own behavior or just accept that that’s how things are going to be.

Freitag
Freitag

@Cassandra

Nice.

kiki
kiki

Steele, would you do me a favour and call someone “sirrah”* in your next post? It would really make me smile,** and as you’re already kind of maxed out on the whole “being a pompous jackass with delusions of eloquence” thing, you may as well push the envelope.

* Also acceptable: “vagabond” and “whey-faced poultroon”.

** Or even chortle!

JasonMacker

Please add /r/SRSMen (http://www.SRSMen.reddit.com) as a safe space to discuss male feminism and pro-feminism on Reddit… it’s a great resource

Pam
Pam

one of the saddest things I ever read was a comment made shortly after the Sodini killings. The poster opined that the message everyone should take away from this senseless bullshit was that women ought to put out more often, and include the creeps. I’m paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist of it. Sodini, who IIRC claimed to have been rejected by 30 million women, was the real victim and women should take the shootings as a lesson to give up more pussy.

And if women did take the shootings as a lesson to give up more pussy and started to do so, these same posters would be on about how slutty women are and bemoan the lack of “pure, chaste, and virtuous” women. It’s a lose/lose situation.

Ithiliana

@aworldanaonymous: chiming in a bit late to send good wishes, and a few stories! I am in my late fifties, so there was no understanding of Asperger’s or the autism spectrum when I was growing up, but my mother and partner strongly suspect (their observations only–after Newsweek did a big article a few years back, my mother sent it to me with a note saying “THIS IS YOU”) I may be on the Asperger’s part of the spectrum–I hope to find time this year to track down the diagnostician on campus and see if I can get at least some minimal testing. It’s important for me to have that on the record and write about it, if it’s true, because of the problems I had in the early days of teaching (by early days I mean my first five-seven years ahahah).

See, I cannot TELL by looking at a face/face class whether or not they’ve gotten what I’ve just covered. It was an incredible series of frustrations –and one among many others reasons I went online (I still get snarky at my colleagues who are all “I cannot tell if they have learned it unless I can see their faces!”. Well whoo hoo for them: I cannot tell until I read the paper or whatever). Add in the tendency of students not to want to ask questions, and my inability to read their faces/body language (I finally in desperation started sending around pads of paper for questions, or having them write logs every day for attendance credit with questions, and that began to work). Since I’m a woman, I was probably perceived differently than a man–but I can say that I was mostly shunned and dismissed in junior high and high school, perceved as weird and icky and teacher’s pet and arrogant and all that fun stuff, and have had ongoing stunning blowups and problems as a teacher–less often now because I’ve analyzed and worked out what to do based on those problems. It can be hard not to fall into obsessive recycling of problems which can contribute to depression (I also have cyclical biochemical depression diagnosed fairly late in life), but if one can do some analysis of problems and come up with different behaviors, it can help (I benefitted from having the observations of students and colleagues who observed me in class), and I have improved over time.

When I was in my teens/twenties, I had major problems communicating–mostly along the “I will walk up to you and start orating at great length about the issue we last talked about without taking time to say hello or how are you because what a waste of time!” I know people thought I was weird! I’m still described as a tidal wave based on my ability to monologue at length and apparently without drawing a breath (though it’s sometimes excused as teacher behavior!) I’m also very shy in groups/around strangers — and introverted — and also still find ‘small talk’ a bally waste of time though I can do it when needed. There was other stuff, but I won’t bore on about it.

I did find college better than high school; and graduate school even better.

Oddly enough, something that helped me the most was taking a basic acting class (which I did in graduate school–after I began to get into playwriting). If you accept the theory that people perform in daily life, then acting gives you basic tools for understanding performance and communication (plus it helped me learn how to project for lectures!). My class also did some basic yoga and movement stuff–it was fun (I only got a C in it, but oh well!), and educational, and I sometimes think all teachers should have an acting class or two! Plus, a lot of theatre people are pretty extroverted and love having someone around to talk to!

Good luck in your first year!

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

And if any women who did take up with men who say “give me pussy or I’ll shoot people”, and found themselves in a shitty situation (someone who threatens to shoot people over sex is probably going to be dangerous and unstable) these posters would either say that “she shouldn’t have dated him” or worse, “she deserves it”. Even though the reason anyone would have sex with someone who threatened to kill people if they didn’t have sex would be to stop other innocent people being killed. And if the man in question did shoot up a public place (likely), she’d be blamed as well.

They just want an excuse to be horrible people and shit on everyone else, and women in specific.

nwoslave

@Shaenon
“Dear Angry Dudes Complaining About “Creep-Shaming”:

You should feel shame.”

Dear Angry sluts Complaining About “Slut-Shaming”:
You should feel shame, because you’re acting shamefully.

nwoslave

@Cliff Pervocracy
“This is splitting a pretty small hair, NWO. “I don’t hate you because you’re a woman! I hate you because you’re a woman and women are terrible!”

I didn’t say hate, I said ridicule. You said hate so you could claim victimhood and misogyny. That’s why I ridicule you, you’ve said something ridiculous once again.
————
“If both parties are drunk, but one party initiates sex and the other doesn’t, then no, it is not exactly the same on both sides. Initiating sex is something a person (even drunk) chose to do. “Having someone else initiate sex” is obviously not a choice.”

It doesn’t matter who initiates. Consent is consent. Someone has to intitiate. It’s impossible for both parties to intitiae at the exact same point in time. You deserve to be ridiculed.
————
“Actually, both of their feelings are correct! The woman feels afraid, and this is real–the man feels not afraid, and this is real!”

Wrong again, if the woman feels afraid for no reason than her feelings are incorrect. Man to talks to woman in an elevator and she feels afraid. She walks out of elevator and goes safely to her room, (rebecca the bitch watson). Her feelings were wrong. Feelings are not reality. You and her deserve to be ridiculed.
———–
“When I say “dude is creepy,” it’s not always because I have his best interests at heart and want to help him learn and grow. I may just want him to keep his creepery the hell away from me and mine.”

You just want to be able to insult a man at your leisure is all. Carte blanche to insult men while demanding women never be insulted. You are begging to be ridiculed. I’m happy to oblige.
————
“Nope! I have to get along with those people sometimes for school/work/family purposes, but I do not have to get along with them just for the sake of getting along with someone!

In social situations, I can ignore anyone I like for any reason I like! Even bad wrong reasons! Even no good reason at all! This is called being an independent human being!’

Holly, you’re all over the place. I said pretty much the same about everyone of the LGBT, yet you tell me I’m a homophobe/bigot. If I can’t think or say anything of the sort about gays, you can’t think or say anything about anyone elses opinion or actions either. You’re acting quite ridiculous.
————–
This is why women are ridiculed. It’s hatred or misogyny. It’s simply ridiculing the ridiculousness of women logic.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Acting class may be a good idea there – I took drama at school mostly for confidence, but yeah, I not infrequently perform the role of functioning member of society, and I can imagine it helping.

lauralot89

You know, I feel like we need a dramatic reading of the Big Book of Larnin or something. NWO’s just so painfully dull lately. Remember the days when he was entertaining?

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Hey Owly, is Ayn Rand a Marxist? Here she is being critical of Christianity:

There is a great, basic contradiction in the teachings of Jesus. Jesus was one of the first great teachers to proclaim the basic principle of individualism — the inviolate sanctity of man’s soul, and the salvation of one’s soul as one’s first concern and highest goal; this means — one’s ego and the integrity of one’s ego. But when it came to the next question, a code of ethics to observe for the salvation of one’s soul — (this means: what must one do in actual practice in order to save one’s soul?) — Jesus (or perhaps His interpreters) gave men a code of altruism, that is, a code which told them that in order to save one’s soul, one must love or help or live for others. This means, the subordination of one’s soul (or ego) to the wishes, desires or needs of others, which means the subordination of one’s soul to the souls of others.

This is a contradiction that cannot be resolved. This is why men have never succeeded in applying Christianity in practice, while they have preached it in theory for two thousand years. The reason of their failure was not men’s natural depravity or hypocrisy, which is the superficial (and vicious) explanation usually given. The reason is that a contradiction cannot be made to work. That is why the history of Christianity has been a continuous civil war — both literally (between sects and nations), and spiritually (within each man’s soul).

ostara321
ostara321

LOL. Oh noes everybody!! There are places on the interwebz where people’s primary focus is on problems that relate more to women! We must reclaim those spaces to acknowledge the menz and their suffering peens!

A quick check reveals that really, if you want to acknowledge men’s issues, you have the whole rest of the internet to do it on. Contrary to popular troll belief, feminists do not control the interwebz. Not by a long shot.