antifeminism feminism FemRAs MRA reddit

Is Reddit’s Feminism subreddit run by MRAs?

Oh, Reddit, where the demographics are so skewed that virtually every discussion amongst and/or about women ultimately gets taken over by dudes doing the old “what about the dudes” routine. It’s no secret that the TwoXChromosomes subreddit has long been overrun with MRAs and FeMRAs. And now it’s become pretty clear that the Feminism subreddit has gone MRA as well.

If you want all the details of the drama, here’s a thread in the subreddit in which the feminists who’ve stuck with the subreddit take on the MRAs and MRA-symps amongst the mods.

Check out the Feminisms and SRSWomen subreddits if you want to discuss feministy stuff on Reddit without having to deal with endless derailing from MRAs and other shitlords.

EDITED TO ADD:  More links:

SRS takes on the whole mess (lots of useful links).

SRS links to r/feminism mods defending MRAs

An r/feminism thread about the recent Captain Awkward posts about creeps that is, naturally, full of endless hang-wringing about the evils of “creep-shaming.”

(Thanks, Cliff, for the links.)

Vanessa Emma Goldman
Vanessa Emma Goldman

SHITLORDS!!!!! yes, this is the PERFECT term for MRAs and others of their ilk!!!

blitzgal

It’s disappointing that these asses have chosen to infect every corner of Reddit with their slime, but thanks for linking SRSWomen — “where mens get bens.” It’s very entertaining to see how they deal with the trolls.

Falconer
Falconer

That little boy in the page gif is a little shit. Look at him laugh.

Asshole.

Cliff Pervocracy

For those who don’t mind pages of Internets Drama, SRS has a bit more detail on the whole situation here:

And the result of all this is threads like this one, in which 90% of the posters are “anti-creep-shaming,” and one is defending attraction to 16-year-old girls:

SO FEMINIST.

Cliff Pervocracy

Or, oh God, this [TW for rape] shitshow:

It’s like, yeah, there are feminists in the discussion, but they’re swamped by guys saying things like:

yeah, except a lot of those don’t actually mean “no”
some of them mean “I do want to, but I also want protection if I don’t like it or if I regret it tomorrow.”

but, if the women is drunk and says yes, and you are intoxicated and unable to think correctly, it isn’t rape.

(Why do MRAs always think “what if you’re both drunk?” is going to break our brains like telling a computer “this statement is false”? If you’re both smashed drunk don’t have sex, and if you have sex anyway, it’s rape by whoever initiated it. This shit isn’t that complicated unless you don’t really believe in consent but are just looking for loopholes.)

every time I start to kiss a girls, even if it’s my girlfriend, I’ll write down a contract saying that I can advance into her panties then
I swear to god, some people really want it to come to this

Not being sure and regretting it afterwards does not a rape make.

Mention SRS on r/feminism? Instant delete, those people are evil bigots. Defend rape on r/feminism? IMPORTANT ALTERNATE VIEWPOINT, WE MUST ADDRESS IT POLITELY.

kladle
kladle

can we go burn some fedoras on Reddit’s lawn

srsly

Cliff Pervocracy

Oop, one more link and then I’ll give it a rest:

In which there are screencaps of basically every r/feminism mod vigorously defending “men’s rights”, or outright saying they’re an MRA.

Falconer
Falconer

They all think they’re God’s gift to logicians. They also think a “gotcha!” is an argument winner.

I think I’ve posted this before, but they all think they are the young woman in the feather boa in this video, and feminists are the poor computer she busts:

Falconer
Falconer

I swear to god, some people really want it to come to this

skeptifem

kladle
kladle

so just what does r/feminism think feminism is?

“we defend a woman’s right to apologize to men when they make them slightly uncomfortable”

“we recognize women are first and foremost human beings with their own needs, unless some dude is afraid of a rape accusation”

“we support equality for people of all genders, but most definitely equality for men because otherwise we’d sound like gross lesbians”

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

Ugh. It’s people like that who make me want to scream “I don’t care if Benedict Cumberbach was hypothetically hitting on me, if he was doing it in an inappropriate place/time/manner, he would be creepy. And I’d stop thinking he was attractive afterwards.”*

* I was creeped on by guys I would otherwise find attractive on a couple of occassions. However, what sticks in my mind is that they were creepy!

Ugh
Ugh

The backlash to the Captain Awkward post is so weird. I mean, neither letter was anywhere near a “maybe he’s just shy and didn’t know he was making people feel uncomfortable” situation. Both guys were so clearly over the line, had been told they were over the line, and kept on creeping.

I seriously have no idea why “Knowingly making people around you feel uncomfortable is bad” is still a controversial idea anywhere in society.

nwoslave

Don’t ya just hate when men think for themselves? Women herd so easily. Why can’t men do the same?

khantron
khantron

SRSWomen is more of a safe space for women, not a place to talk about feminism per se. The newly created SRSFeminism might be a better place to link especially for male readers, who aren’t welcome on SRSWomen.

aworldanonymous

See, I want to defend reddit here, but at this point I’m pretty sure it’s just a knee jerk reaction left over from my neckbeard days. It’d still be nice if I could be unbanned from SRS though.

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

They just want an excuse to continue to make people feel uncomfortable and scared. I mean, most people realise that “you’re making me/other person feel uncomfortable” generally means “your bizarre medical history is not good casual conversation” or “not everyone wishes to subscribe to your mental issues”* et cetera et cetera.
These guys’ response is probably “YES! I made someone uncomfortable!” but they know that doing a butt-wiggling victory dance in public is somewhat unacceptable*, so they just point at everyone else and say “but they’re being oversensitive! And mean! I’m just socially awkward, but I’m a good-natured person really!”

* I have a slight oversharing problem which I am working to rectify
** and lose them creep-targets

Cliff Pervocracy

Aw, NWO, your stock phrase doesn’t even make sense here.

kladle
kladle

It’d still be nice if I could be unbanned from SRS though.

I hope I don’t regret asking this, but how in the world did you get banned from SRS

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Isn’t it odd how an aggressive, predictable herd of interchangeable dolts who all sound exactly alike are independent thinkers according to Owly?

Cliff Pervocracy

Kladle – SRS bans people a lot. I got banned once (got unbanned by apologizing to the mods and asking nicely) for sarcasm-indistinguishable-from-real-bigotry. It’s their style of moderation, and considering the constant influx of Redditors providing extremely-real-bigotry, it’s understandable.

Ah, Reddit drama.

aworldanonymous

Well wayyy back when I was slowly starting to come out of my MRA phase and learning about feminism, I was confused by much of the drama between SRS and the rest of reddit. On the one hand most of reddit holds some disdain for SRS for having a somewhat overzealous banning policy, or so they said, I’d never seen anything there that validated any of the hate, so I went on SRSmeta and posted questioning exactly why there was so much hate. A bot then informed me that my post was brought up on antisrs, and having considered myself a neutral party at the time, I went over to that thread to clarify that I was merely trying to make sense of everything that was going on. Turns out posting in antisrs at all results in an autoban, which somewhat upset me at the time, and started to reinforce some nasty aspects of my beliefs back then which I would really rather not dig up. I was also banned from SRSmeta due to the controversial nature of my post. Since then I’ve figured out exactly what I did wrong and have been trying to get myself unbanned.

aworldanonymous

I’ve really come to the conclusion that I was being admittedly a bit of a shitlord, though I was trying to be somewhat benign.

Shadow
Shadow

So, WTF is going on exactly? Did an MRA become a mod of an established subreddit, or is this the culmination of their brilliant “let’s make fake feminist blogs and write unfeminist things and giggle” plan?

fembot

I usually don’t spend much time on Reddit. It’s just a confusing, nasty place.

@aworldanonymous

Good for you. You give me hope that MRA shitlordery doesn’t have to be permanent.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

I was banned from SRS too! Same reason as aworldanonymous, although I was just arguing with anti-SRS. I just made another account for SRS porpoises; the original was for r/mr and shit like that in the first place, and SRS is just a sweet, sweet bonus to the general malaise of reddit.

Freitag
Freitag

What I took away from the “creep” discussion can be summed up as follows:

“I want sex but I keep getting called creepy by the hot chicks I want sex with. They’re oversensitive and bad by calling my behavior creepy. Nothing I do is wrong so the problem is with the oversensitive hot chicks I want sex with. Just because I behave like a disturbed douchenozzle is no reason for them to creep-shame me. Now stop creep-shaming and give me sex.”

fembot

@Freitag

It’s amazing how entitled some men feel when it comes to “pussy.” On the RooshV blog and forum they constantly refer to “pussy” as if it is some nonliving commodity, just floating out there ready to be taken.

Some tool over there blames women for the Oklahoma City bombing for not giving Timothy McVeigh any “pussy.” Sickening.

aworldanonymous

At the time I was kind of caught up in the being confused by all of the references I didn’t get, the drama, and the banning policy, now I’m less bothered by the former things, and understand the reason for the third.

lauralot89

I will bet a million dollars without even clicking the link that someone in that “anti-creep shaming” thread is saying “But creepy guys probably have Asperger’s! How dare you be creeped out!”

I see Reddit is the same shithole as always. That’s depressing.

Cliff Pervocracy

I think this sometimes. I do like the idea of making them as uncomfortable in their own spaces as they want us to be in ours. But I figure:

1) The Spearhead and the like are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things, it’d be a total waste of time. MRA-baiting is entertainment, not activism, and I never want to lose sight of that.

2) They might lash out at the feminists involved. We limit our responses to MRAs here to angry comments and the occasional ban–nobody tries to dox them or start long campaigns of harassment on their Facebooks/personal blogs/etc. I don’t trust Spearheaders to do us the same courtesy.

3) We can’t really hurt them without violating our own principles. We can say “women are people,” but we can’t say “men aren’t people.” We can say “rape of women is real,” but we can’t say “most male rape is false accusations.” We can say “women deserve to control our own bodies,” but we can’t say “women deserve to control men’s bodies.”

We can’t deliver the real gut-punching attacks and still be decent people, so we’ll never really be able to make them feel the way they make us feel.

Freitag
Freitag

@fembot, one of the saddest things I ever read was a comment made shortly after the Sodini killings. The poster opined that the message everyone should take away from this senseless bullshit was that women ought to put out more often, and include the creeps. I’m paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist of it. Sodini, who IIRC claimed to have been rejected by 30 million women, was the real victim and women should take the shootings as a lesson to give up more pussy.

Ugh. I’ve made myself sick now. I’ll go watch the news and cheer up.

lauralot89

And before some troll can call me ableist: I have Asperger’s. My voice is near constantly monotone, I tend to stare without realizing it or avoid eye contact all together, and my special interests include horror movies and medieval torture devices. I know damn well what it’s like to unintentionally creep people out, and guess what? It’s my own damn fault when I do, and those I’m upsetting shouldn’t have to put up with it just because of my disorder.

Cliff Pervocracy

Lauralot – I think calling people “creepy” for having AS is a wrong usage of “creep,” not proof that “creep” should never be used.

It’s like how saying “women who have abortions are murderers” is wrong, but doesn’t mean that the word “murderer” is itself sexist and should never be used.

aworldanonymous

Ok, I apologized and now I’m unbenned.

lauralot89

Sorry if I was unclear: I’m not trying to say that people with ASD are creeps, I mean that, while we can creep people out unintentionally due to misunderstanding social cues and what not, it’s still not an excuse. The “creepy guys just have Asperger’s” complainers are trying to say that it’s fine to invade someone else’s space and upset them if you have the disorder, and it isn’t.

nwoslave

@Cliff Pervocracy
“If men want to “think for themselves” about whether feminism is a good thing, they can do it somewhere besides a dedicated feminism forum.”

Men can say what they want where ever they want. Don’t ya just long for the pre-internet days where there were no comment section in articles? Oh those days of carte blanche where women ridiculed men without having to be ridiculed in return. Ahhh, the good old days.
————–
@Tulgey Logger
“I suspect this may have something to do with how Owly’s definition of Marxist includes Ayn Rand.”

I’ve never read any Ayn Rand. Maybe I will.
————–
@fembot
“This is just depressing. Feminists should storm The Spearhead and other MRA spaces and bombard them with messages that women are people.”

Of course women are people, but that doesn’t mean your opinions are worth anything or have any value. Ohhhh, you expect to be taken seriously “because” you’re a woman. This seems to be the problem with modern day women. Men are ridiculing you not because you’re women. you’re being ridiculed for the things you say and do.
————
@skeptifem
““what if we are both drunk” is such a stupid question. Its like asking if its okay to drive drunk if the pedestrian you hit is drunk too. Somehow I think their tiny brains could figure out how meaningless that question is.”

How is it a stupid question? If both parties are drunk, then both parties are either guilty of rape or neither is. Otherwise what you’re saying is the man is responsible for both their actions.
————–
@Ugh
“Both guys were so clearly over the line, had been told they were over the line, and kept on creeping.”

Who cares? I mean really, who cares? If a woman feels a guy is being creepy, but the guy doesn’t feel he’s being creepy, why are her feelings correct and his feelings incorrect. Are we defaulting to woman is correct? That’s exactly what you’re saying.
————–
“Honestly, I think some of their rules are too strict, but I respect the fact that they enforce them fairly and zealously, and that the ultimate point of the rules is “no, you can’t be even a little bit sexist/homophobic/ableist here.”

HAHAHAHAHA. Sexist is whatever any woman feels at any point in time, therefore it has no meaning. Homophobic is a non-existant. If someone finds the actions of gays repulsive that’s there choice and they have every right to voice it. What’s next? Do I have to love brussle sprouts as well and swear to adore them? On no, abliest!!!
————–
This is why modern day women are ridiculed. Not because you’re women, but because you make no sense.

aworldanonymous

“But creepy guys probably have Asperger’s! How dare you be creeped out!”

I have Aspergers, and what I decided to do about it is to start living in residence at university in order to force myself to be in a social environment 24/7 so that I can force myself to learn how to be the adorable quirky kind of awkward instead of the creepy kind of awkward.

aworldanonymous

Now my only worry about SRS is that I’m not witty enough…T_T.

aworldanonymous

But yeah, Aspergers isn’t an excuse for creepiness, Aspies can learn to not be creepy, hell, I already sort of have, I’m just really really shy most of the time.

hellkell
hellkell

@Lauralot: if liking horror movies and weird shit (you should see some of my old dermatology books) is wrong/creepy, I don’t want to be right. Those jackholes are using AS as cover for their bad behavior.

How the hell did MRAs come to run r/feminism?

lauralot89

To be fair, I’m sure my love for torture methods would have gone over better if I didn’t to start conversations with strangers in the past by saying “Hi! What’s your favorite form of torture? I like the pear, but there’s debate about whether or not it was really used. How it worked was…”

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

@lauralot89

Can we be friends? 😀

lauralot89

Absolutely!

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

I have a mild historical interest in torture and executions… and that sounds like an awesome conversation opener.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

When I moved countries, because words have different meanings and some are offensive in some countries and not others, I made a general rule that if someone finds a word offensive then I shouldn’t use it within reason. I can understand why men don’t like being called a creep, even if they are behaving in a way that makes people uncomfortable. I am happy to stop using the word creepy, however I worry that the people who are against it get very angry at comments like “please don’t do this it makes me uncomfortable”.

I think the word creepy is ambiguous, it can often be difficult to articulate what exactly you don’t like about somebody because that would be unacceptable so it is sort of a go to word. It kind of covers things like they wouldn’t leave me alone when I dropped strong hints, they were overly forward when we first talked etc. Mentioning that you don’t like these things isn’t likely to go down well as you will be encouraged to give them a chance.

Interestingly, very few of the comments seem to refer to people being called creepy to their faces, in fact most creep shaming seems to be people not responding well to being talked to. However, that may be misinterpreting others experiences.

I have definitely been creepy before and it is something I’m trying to work on in future. Acknowledging your behaviour is wrong and trying to change it can be difficult.

C
C

Well, if they don’t like “creepy,” how about, “lecherous,” “deranged,” “overbearing,” “tiresome” or “obsessive.”

1 2 3 4