are these guys 12 years old? facepalm lying liars misogyny MRA reddit

Reddit Island Redux, or, The Possibly True Saga of Current Island

Dudes, try making a Lego island first, see how that goes.

You remember Reddit Island, right? The utterly serious, unintentionally hilarious project in which a bunch of Redditors attempt to set up a Reddity miniature utopia on some remote island somewhere? They are still trying to find an island, and apparently that process is … not going so swimmingly.

As Adrian Chen of Gawker notes in a nice long piece on the project, a fortysomething IT guy from Virginia names Mark Wells has been telling prospective Reddit Islanders that he may have found the perfect place for them:

Wells, who uses the handle Citizenpolitician, explained in a series of increasingly breathless posts on Reddit Island that he’d been scoping out a tiny tropical splotch called Current Island. Just off the coast of Bahamian island of Eluthera, Current is sparsely inhabited, and could be a possible option for their settlement. He’d cold-called members of the local government about the possibility of having a few hundred internet nerds settle Current Island. And he had been met with a very promising response.

Or so Wells said. Trouble is — SPOILER ALERT — Chen himself got in touch with Theo Neilly, the Bahamian Member of Parlliament who Wells had said was “very interested” in the Reddit Island project. And Neilly had a rather different story to tell Chen:

Neilly was more than a little surprised when I told him this. He’d never spoken with or even received an email from Wells, he said. He had heard word of Reddit Island, but only because an acquaintance Wells had actually contacted forwarded him the email. … [E]veryone in Eluthera I spoke to was eager to distance themselves and anyone they knew from him the Reddit Island idea.

D’oh!

Wella, for his part, claims that Chen has mucked up a good thing by actually trying to check to see if anything Wells was saying was true.

When Chen contacted the Bahamians, after being asked not to be involved since we were at a delicate time trying to start a process of negotiations, his contact to the Bahamians, making the relationship public, removed all opportunity for any further communication with the Bahamians and I am afraid now that he has gone to the extent of mentioning them in his article, will suffer political fall out because of this. THis is extremely poor journalism and unfortunate not just for us but for those that wanted to find out more about what we had to offer and what could come of that.

This also puts us in a difficult situation because any further communications with other land owners and government representatives in other countries could become publicly abused as this relationship did and end all hopes for negotiating in good faith with those people. It means that going further will be difficult if we are to maintain transparency and be open to the group here because people like Chen will use it to distort and dismantle those efforts.

So, back to the drawing board, I guess. (The whole discussion of Chen’s article in the Reddit Island subreddit is hilarious, actually.)

Let me make a suggestion, guys: Don’t try to go it alone! Basically, what you’re talking about is forming a tiny civilization that will be essentially a bunch of dudes. In the past, you guys have treated the “sausage party” aspect of the project as a liability.

Instead, you should embrace it as a selling point. Team up with some of the fellas over in the Men’s Rights subreddit; many of them seem not to be fans of women at all.

Heck, some of the guys there are ALREADY TALKING ABOUT GETTING AN ISLAND:

MRA Island! Make it a reality.

In related news, a number of years back a bunch of Something Awful goons launched a similar island project. It involved an actual tropical  island and everything. It seems to have fallen apart; it’s not clear (since I haven’t actually read anything about it beyond that blog post I linked)  if there was any cannibalism involved.

hellkell
hellkell

Fatcat, why do MRAs need absolution for the horrible things they say, and why would writing them off as mentally ill be the best way to do this? What you’re doing is infantilizing the mentally ill, not absolving the MRM. Besides, are you the Pope? If not, absolution’s not your gig.

Viscaria
Viscaria

How’s this then: we don’t need to feel embarrassed about being privileged people. We might be embarrassed about saying or doing terrible exploitative ignorant oppressive fucking things (like I did, round these very parts, last week) but that’s because those are shitty things to do that we should feel embarrassed about. The privilege has nothing to do with it.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

1. Thinking white privilege is embarrassing bullshit is itself embarrassing bullshit.

FTFY

There is no “male privilege” any longer here in the white western world. Though I do acknowledge that in some countries such a thing certainly does exist(like Iran and Saudi Arabia among others).

Viscaria
Viscaria

Or rather, privilege allows us to do gross things, but it doesn’t force us to do gross things. And not actively working to dismantle our privilege is also a gross thing.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

FTFY Broke That For You

FTFY

Seriously, if you think you have to literally force women to cover themselves and refrain from driving for male privilege to be a thing I am embarrassed for you.

Ugh

MSM, you never got back to me on how you feel about MRA sites that have to make up stuff to be upset about (like that robot sex act in Canada).

Do you ever feel that a real political movement wouldn’t have to make shit up?

fatcat
fatcat

@ Jumbofish (and others)

What I meant to say was that I have been in the position of the guy on the bus. It is not easy for me to admit this, but for a while I was terrified of men. I didn’t like sitting next to them, hearing their voices on TV, etc. I know this is nobody’s problem but mine, but it can be explained by mental problems, so this is probably what this guy has too. He needs help, ASAP.

@ hellkell

It’s OK, I know this is a site for mockery, and I know I will be mocked. I just want you to know that not everyone who disagrees with you on some points is an MRAs or one of those ‘losers’ you like to mock (then again, I probably am a loser, but a different kind of loser).

On privilege: I think it is ridiculous to say that everyone who belongs to a certain group has privilege (except of course, in countries where they don’t have equal rights under the law). Some people will never feel that ‘privilege’. Accusations of privilege will just be met with hostility, nothing else.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Lol wut?

There’s a robot sex act in Canada?

What, like when the Canadarm was putting together bits of the space station?

jumbofisch

As a guy you have so much to be thankful for and so much shit you will not have to worry about.

You never will need to worry about people sexually harassing you on the street, or worry excessively if you will be raped or not, or worry about being harassed or complained at if you wear too much or too little clothes/makeup, or be concerned if people will take you being harassed/raped seriously if you are, or even worry about being taken seriously in the field you are in, or have your judgment be disregarded because of your gender, or be considered a walking sex object, or have strangers comment telling you to smile, and ect.

@pillowinhell

Several MRA sites reported that there was a Human Robot Relationship Act passed by Parliament in 2010 to meanly deny men the right to have sex with robots in the future. The primary supporter was allegedly Jessica Valenti, who in the MRA world is now apparently Canadian.

MSM, I shit you not, believed the whole story and used it as a talking point until I called him out on it.

Ugh

Apparently it never crossed MSM’s mind to fact check this wildly implausible tale by typing the act’s name into Google.

Ugh

Also, the Canadarm is… kind of hot, as industrial machinery goes.

jumbofisch

There is a difference between being scared of a group and hating a group. This guy hates women, just the fact they are allowed to exist in public with the same rights as him makes him furious. Thats why they wanted to make their own island. Its not the same at all and I really have to question your motivated if you can’t see the difference.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

LoL!!

This I gotta read! Please tell me there’s a link!

I think we were a bit too busy with HIS Honorable Asshat Steven Woodworth trying to stir up an abortion debate to notice that one!

heidihi
heidihi

GUYS GUYS GUYS. You are forgetting that there is literally NO WHERE ELSE TO GO ON THE INTERNET so if you can’t BE NICE and make everyone feel welcome what the FUCK are they gonna dooooooooooooo???????

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

“Accusations of privilege.” This wording makes me think that, even though you may have read all teh posts on privilege, you did not pay close attention, because that is not in line with the concept.

Privilege is not a crime or a conviction, it is how society treats you.

And yes, we’re already well aware that lots and lots of people, whether they know they feel their privilege or not, react with hostility when they see the concept of privilege discussed.

fatcat
fatcat

To be clear, I am not a guy. I have also experienced lots of privileges as a woman (even though a lot of them are privileges I don’t really care about, to be honest), and saying these are just consequences of male privilege is not something I am comfortable with.

I dislike a lot of what MRAs say, especially the way they talk about rape and violence. I hope that in the future they can become less extreme and angry, and that there can be more dialogue, but I don’t feel all that hopeful right now.

I also have never been told to ‘smile’. Honestly, I don’t get this. I guess here everyone is just grumpy all the time…

@pillow

I can’t remember exactly which comment thread it was on and I don’t know how to search comments here. He didn’t provide a link, because he was confident enough to state it as fact. If you search “Jessica Valenti Canadian robot sex act” you’ll see the articles he probably got it from.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Fatcat, maybe you could take your delicate feelings elsewhere?

@fatcat

Has it occurred to you that the fact that there are all these MRAs talking about rape and violence against women but no comparable group doing the same for men is, itself, a fairly obvious male privilege?

jumbofisch

I have also experienced lots of privileges as a woman

Such as?

yall are just grumpy!

I don’t think there is much “dialog” to be had with hate groups. *facepalm*

cloudiah

And soon, I believe, MRA beliefs will gain more clout, while the vile writhing deadlights of feminism fade into nothingness.

Can someone please turn this latest Semi-Steeleism into poetry?

fatcat
fatcat

@Jumbofish

I meant the people here in my country are grumpy and never smile, not the people on this blog. Sorry

@ Ugh

No, it’s an example of people being assholes. That so many people can’t see that is a little disturbing.

@Hippodameia

I plan to, I just wanted to make my position clear

jumbofisch

Uhh did you miss the part where only men were doing that against women but no women were doing that against men? How is that just being assholes if there is social groups fighting against womens rights but not mens? Thats a little more that “just being an asshole” thats privilege.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

@cloudiah

Like the noble, onward-faring trout,
every day misogyny gains growing clout,
while the vile writhing deadlights
of mixed-metaphor-feminists
fade from the road like a deer in the headlights
suddenly sideswiped
by my semi-truck.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Oh my fucking GAWD!!!!!!!!

This is the funniest shit I’ve read in weeks!!!

Ministry of Human Robot Relations??

LolololololoLololool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* dies of laughter*

*regenerates self to read the next line*

*dies of laughter again*

Soul thinks about just how many results Google came up with on the topice

*reincarnates*

Notices that Hell is getting a little impatient with my popping in and out in such rapid sucession

*shows post to Satan*

He chuckles. Apparently he’s rather proud of that little joke.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“I plan to, I just wanted to make my position clear”

That’s nice. Please stick the landing when you flounce.

hellkell
hellkell

Yes, Fatcat, you should take your delicate sensibilities elseweb.

fatcat
fatcat

@ Jumbofish

You do have a point, there just seem (from my perspective at least) to be more men in the world who hate women than women who hate men. I don’t know why.

I’m afraid I shall have to, as they put it, ‘flounce’ now, because it is really, really late here, and I don’t want to disturb further mockery. I’m sorry if I didn’t answer all your questions.

I don’t know why.

Historically women have always got the shitty end of the stick compared to men in what they were allowed to do and how they are treated. Those attitudes are vanishing as women gain more and more rights but they have not entirely vanished from the consciousness of the human race.

Falconer
Falconer

Long story short… you are turning into mean girls.

Excuse me, but I’ve always thought of myself as more of a Heather.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“I’m sorry if I didn’t answer all your questions.”

I’m sorry if you thought we cared.

jumbofisch

Its the same reason why people are spiteful towards people of color and lgtb people, historically they have been treated as lesser but as they gain rights people become less bigoted but bigoted ideas have not entirely vanished they still exist. Do you think centuries of oppression can vanish in a few decades? No, it takes time.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

So now fatcat has devolved into nattering about female privilege? Oh dear. My initial impression of “kind of clueless” is gradually being upgraded to “head firmly wedged in posterior”.

Also I’ve lived in a number of different countries, and travelled through even more, and never encountered a country where everyone is grouchy. Where does she live, the Republic of Miserableness?

Meanwhile, the anti-robot-fucking act that never was is hilarious. How gullible are these guys?

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Well impeding a mans right to fap to a representation of his neighbors daughter is rape donthcha know.

And apparently Ontario has a Ministry of Human Robot Sexual Relations!!

Oh, but the law will bite feminists in the ass when the majic elixer of prepubescent skin becomes available and every woman races out to look sixteen again!! Makeup should be illegal damnit!

Oh my god!! How will I put my don’t fuck with me face on tomorrowif I can’t get that idea outta my head!!!

cloudiah

@Tulgey, I almost missed that. That’s it, you’re getting you’re own Artistry for [why did I make the name so long?] blog post! I mean, eventually. I have to cook dinner first.

EEB
EEB

The fuck? Seriously?

Full marks for your Double Douchebag Flip. You got a “it’s never happened to me so that means it never happens,” then followed up with some classic victim-blaming. It takes a real expert to accomplish both at once.

Unfortuantely, the only prize is my undying contempt. Enjoy.

Nada
Nada

1. Love that anyone anywhere knows what the Canadarm is (and thinks it’s sexy. No wonder those conservatives wanted those exhibits banned at Ottawa’s science and tech museum).

2. Autism and mental illness seem to come out quite a bit when it comes to MRAs, PUAs, creeps, etc. A shame no one ever seems to consider what it’s like for women with social anxiety, autism and the like when they’re being yelled at on the street or being stalked (innocently, I’m sure, by a shy guy).

amandajane5
amandajane5

@Falconer – Chandler, Duke, or McNamara?

Amused

Kavette: Imbecility-by-choice is not its own defense. I don’t have to be charitable towards people who are deliberately idiotic, ignorant and infantile — especially if those people hate me, to boot, to the point of lamenting the very fact that I exist. You have some nerve calling us mean.

fembot

I also have never been told to ‘smile’.

This has been happening to me for all of my life. My natural expression looks sad, I guess. I can smile if its genuine, but I have a really hard time faking a smile. It literally hurts my face.

People almost never say this to men. Women and girls are supposed to be cheerful all of the time, I guess, otherwise we’re bitches. That pisses me off. Telling me to smile will get me NOT to smile, that’s for sure.

fembot

I also have never been told to ‘smile’.

Forgot the blockquotes.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Do you ever feel that a real political movement wouldn’t have to make shit up?

To be perfectly honest, the answer to this question is a big fat NO. It really doesn’t matter what their political aspirations are.Being honest with people doesn’t get shit done the way making up sensational stories does.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@ Nom – “Being honest with people doesn’t get shit done the way making up sensational stories does.”

You would say that. After all, you blow tapirs for crack.*

* He hasn’t really done this.**
** That I know of.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Seriously though that’s the worst argument ever.

“Why do you keep crying wolf when there isn’t one?”

“Because if I told the truth about the lack of wolves then no one would come running. Duh.”

pecunium

I know I have white privilege. How do I know it? I carry a knife, all the time. I’ve had cops ask to look at it. I’ve had one cop do that, hand it back and tell me, “that’s a good knife.”

He did that on my college campus. A campus that had a rule forbidding any sort of, “weapon”, and specifically calling out knives.

Honestly, I don’t think Al (that was the cop’s name, Al Reddick) was going to single out blacks (he was black) but I suspect he’d have told a black person to put it in a pocket, or a bag, rather than wear it in the publically visible belt holster I had it in.

And Al isn’t the only cop to not so much as blink at my having a knife. The only times I’ve had a cop react to it in a less than casual way was once when I was being pulled over for expired tags. I got cuffed while they ran me for wants and warrants.

After that, an apology for it, and my knife was handed back.

I’m in NYC, carrying a knife. I’ve never been one of the people they choose to, “stop and frisk”. I don’t wonder why that is. It’s because I’m white.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Actually,a lot of us autists who are male DO know what it’s like being yelled @ on the street. The difference is the insults aren’t sexual but they’re just as infuriating.

What bothers me is that as a longtime participant in autism internet forums(like wrongplanet.net among others) is that there are so many bitter, angry aspie feminists who whine about Men and even insult other autists just because they happen to be male! >< I wish women with autism would reject feminism because this movement only seeks to divide us and turn autistic women against autistic men(the latter whom are favorite targets of stupid-ass neurotypical feminists when they decide to go man bashing to stroke their egos).

amandajane5
amandajane5

The difference is the insults aren’t sexual but they’re just as infuriating.

Which you know because of your extensive history with sexual street harassment? Do I need to say that I highly doubt it?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

If you’re being at all serious and not just trolling for attention as usual, this makes me wonder why you’ve chosen to do the exact same thing with the genders reversed. Bitter? Check. Angry? Check? Whining about Women? Check. Insulting women just because they’re women? Check.