are these guys 12 years old? facepalm lying liars misogyny MRA reddit

Reddit Island Redux, or, The Possibly True Saga of Current Island

Dudes, try making a Lego island first, see how that goes.

You remember Reddit Island, right? The utterly serious, unintentionally hilarious project in which a bunch of Redditors attempt to set up a Reddity miniature utopia on some remote island somewhere? They are still trying to find an island, and apparently that process is … not going so swimmingly.

As Adrian Chen of Gawker notes in a nice long piece on the project, a fortysomething IT guy from Virginia names Mark Wells has been telling prospective Reddit Islanders that he may have found the perfect place for them:

Wells, who uses the handle Citizenpolitician, explained in a series of increasingly breathless posts on Reddit Island that he’d been scoping out a tiny tropical splotch called Current Island. Just off the coast of Bahamian island of Eluthera, Current is sparsely inhabited, and could be a possible option for their settlement. He’d cold-called members of the local government about the possibility of having a few hundred internet nerds settle Current Island. And he had been met with a very promising response.

Or so Wells said. Trouble is — SPOILER ALERT — Chen himself got in touch with Theo Neilly, the Bahamian Member of Parlliament who Wells had said was “very interested” in the Reddit Island project. And Neilly had a rather different story to tell Chen:

Neilly was more than a little surprised when I told him this. He’d never spoken with or even received an email from Wells, he said. He had heard word of Reddit Island, but only because an acquaintance Wells had actually contacted forwarded him the email. … [E]veryone in Eluthera I spoke to was eager to distance themselves and anyone they knew from him the Reddit Island idea.

D’oh!

Wella, for his part, claims that Chen has mucked up a good thing by actually trying to check to see if anything Wells was saying was true.

When Chen contacted the Bahamians, after being asked not to be involved since we were at a delicate time trying to start a process of negotiations, his contact to the Bahamians, making the relationship public, removed all opportunity for any further communication with the Bahamians and I am afraid now that he has gone to the extent of mentioning them in his article, will suffer political fall out because of this. THis is extremely poor journalism and unfortunate not just for us but for those that wanted to find out more about what we had to offer and what could come of that.

This also puts us in a difficult situation because any further communications with other land owners and government representatives in other countries could become publicly abused as this relationship did and end all hopes for negotiating in good faith with those people. It means that going further will be difficult if we are to maintain transparency and be open to the group here because people like Chen will use it to distort and dismantle those efforts.

So, back to the drawing board, I guess. (The whole discussion of Chen’s article in the Reddit Island subreddit is hilarious, actually.)

Let me make a suggestion, guys: Don’t try to go it alone! Basically, what you’re talking about is forming a tiny civilization that will be essentially a bunch of dudes. In the past, you guys have treated the “sausage party” aspect of the project as a liability.

Instead, you should embrace it as a selling point. Team up with some of the fellas over in the Men’s Rights subreddit; many of them seem not to be fans of women at all.

Heck, some of the guys there are ALREADY TALKING ABOUT GETTING AN ISLAND:

MRA Island! Make it a reality.

In related news, a number of years back a bunch of Something Awful goons launched a similar island project. It involved an actual tropical  island and everything. It seems to have fallen apart; it’s not clear (since I haven’t actually read anything about it beyond that blog post I linked)  if there was any cannibalism involved.

Yeah, we have a really high average age around here; our youngest posters (AFAIK) are around 20 or 21, and it’s a pretty even distribution on up through the 50s (I don’t think we have many posters over 60). I’m in the middle-lower end, and most places on the Internet I’m as old as the hills.

CassandraSays

Also, Kavette, I have to point out that the kind of those people criticized me so they’re mean meanies omg how could you do you must all be horrible people, every one of you! thing that thing you’re doing here isn’t exactly a great example of emotional maturity.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

I can’t even begin to figure out what Kavette’s point is, or rather how it connects with anything discussed in this thread or in the OP, which I take to be an indicator of all the points that went whooshing straight over her head.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

I mean was that supposed to be posted to SRS or

hellkell

Oh, Kavette, whatthefuckever. Why don’t you just go off on one of your semi-sleazy, neo-imperialist, just-so stories about Nicaragua again? Those don’t make my flesh crawl at all.

Please shove your tone trolling.

(For anyone following along at home, yes, this is tone-trolling by anyone’s standards, including mine.)

Snowy
Snowy

I’m glad I’m not the only one, Hellkell! Because seriously, yuuuuck

CassandraSays

Yeah, I personally would be very happy not to read any more whiteymcsplainey stories about how people in Nicaragua are just so much simpler than Americans and happier for that reason. Those are pretty icky.

Kavette
Kavette

I’ve stopped reading this site because of the above, and started reading reddit as per your suggestion. It’s much more my speed regarding lack of bullying. Someone bragging about being a bitch? Why would that be a positive in any light?

I used the word kids because of the immature attitude not the age. Also because I could not find a word that would encompass all of the regular posters that would not be attacked for being politically incorrect. Suggest a word for me that slightly demeans the regular posters as being mean and catty like a middle schooler and I’ll gladly change it.

The sad thing is this site should show a light on the mra and how awful they are, but when you are awful back it losses the message.

pecunium

Awww…. kavette’s got a sad. It’s not a circle jerk, anymore than any issue based blog is. The misogynists of the world are mockworthy.

It’s not that people wanting something beyond their grasp is mockworthy, it’s these people; with their air of gross-superiority, and the way they hate on women, pretending that all they need is a place to be, and all the rest of the trappings of the civilisation they adore will just happen.

It can, if they have lots of money. The thing is, if they had lots of money they could do it without an island. All they need is enough to buy up all the houses in a city block or so, and then the poltical clout to make it a gated community.

Voila… reddit paradise.

Instead they have pipe dreams about a self-sufficient island.

Then again, I’m an adult. I’m semi-retired. I’ve been around the block a few times. Stupid is as stupid does; and this has a very predictable set of outcomes, all of which are based on people being stupid in avoidable ways. I also know better than to put on airs of wisdom drawn of age, because it reeks of reactionary fool.

If you want to attack one person for being childish, go to town. If you try to paint a community which ranges from people in their teens, to people in their 60s, it’s going to fail.

Snowy
Snowy

Omg dude, ok so is this I flounce now? You’re not coming back, right? *crosses fingers*

CassandraSays

Wow, that’s the fastest can’t-stick-the-flounce yet.

BTW, sweetie, if you want to try to insult/demean people you might want to try writing more clearly. It’s hard to be effectively snotty and condescending when everyone who reads your comments goes “OK, what was that wall of incoherent babble about?”.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

That’s right Kavette, I’m proud of being a bitch. And the reason for that pride is because being a “nice girl” doesn’t get things done. Being a bitch does. It also generally stops asshats and creeps in their tracks.

You’re just pissed that we have opinions about things. Or that we tell people to shove it when their behaviour is attrocious. Or that we don’t smile and simper while asshats piss all over us.

Too bad.

hellkell

That was friggin’ random. Bad landing on the flounce.

jumbofisch
jumbofisch

It’s much more my speed regarding lack of bullying

Did you ignore reddit is full to the brim with bullying people because of their race, gender sexual orientation, ect?

ahahahahahahhhaahahahahahahahahahahhah you all are just too immature because you make fun of misogynists who want to move on an island with no plans to avoid contact with women! They are kids (but not really) and you are crushing their dreams!! Oh and what “unpolitical correct” word did you want to use to describe us but could not because we would attack you? I am dying here to know!

pecunium

Kavette: You think reddit is more free of bullying that manboobz? Pull the other one, it’s got bells on.

That, or you’ve not really looked at reddit.

I don’t know, you could go with catty, or petty, or sophomoric, or clique-ish, or even childish.

Those are all functional adjectives about behavior. You didn’t do that. You chose to use one about raw age. That’s rhetorical fail. The rest, that’s a related fail, and is actually why I think you chose kids. You were assuming an air of superiority. You were claiming to be more adult that we are, more sophisticated and urbane; more tolerant and cosmopolitan.

That kind of attack needs a basis; so you tried to say we weren’t actually grown-up. Not that we were adults who chose to stoop to a lower level of behavior than than we ought but rather people who weren’t able yet to rise to the level you are at.

To make the claims you buried in that tone-trolling you needed not merely describe us, but to bemean us. You needed to berate us, without seeming to be 1: petty and 2: making it seem we were anything close to equal to you.

You didn’t parse any of that, and so you failed; because there you don’t have the social credit to get away with telling everyone here they are wrong. It’s not clear that anyone (save, of course Dave) has such gravitas. Trying to assume it, as an occasional poster in dubious odor (you aren’t despicable in your very being as Ruby is, nor a pathetic as Varpole, nor as ludicrous as Tom Martin; though you might rise to the tedium of a Brandon, were you to post with frequency) was bound to fail.

To do it in defense of this, in a weakly worded bit of tone-trolling; that’s just sad.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

You know what? “Immature” isn’t even really that much of an insult. Being immature sometimes is fun.

hellkell

I’d like to know what horrid un-PC word she was gonna smack us down as well.

CassandraSays

Missed the part about there being less bullying on Reddit the first time. LOL! Free advice – stick to posting pics of kitties, don’t say anything else there if your skin is this thin.

Honestly, if you’re a person who gets uncomfortable when people make fun of other people, then yes, this is not the blog for you; there are plenty of other blogs that discuss stuff (including feminism) in sober tones with Absolutely No Mockery.

This one has “mockery” in the tagline.

CassandraSays

In general I’d agree with katz, but if you want to post imperialistic little anecdotes about Nicaragua that will get you called out in not-so-nice tones on most feminist blogs. If she tried that on Feministe, for example, she’d end up even more butthurt than she is now.

drst
drst

If Kavette can avoid the parts of Reddit that offend hir why can’t zie avoid this site if it offends hir? Unless Kavette is going into all the subReddits and telling them off for their perceived sins too (that would take a LOT of time).

Kavette
Kavette

The imperialist horror of it all. Not my organization but close enough.

The bitch funds a NGO in a third world country. She lives there half the year. She happens to believe that poverty in Winnipeg is worse then Nica, that people there are in general happier.

Awful…. don’t look at yourselves and say why am I spending hours a day making fun of people. Instead attack the next person who opens the cyber door.

My word instead of kids would have been dude btw.

fatcat
fatcat

Yeah, I kind of agree with Kavette. I think most of the regular posters on this blog are often right, and of course vastly more intelligent than the majority of MRAs, but they can also be really mean. Often it is justified, of course, but sometimes it goes too far. I hate that there’s no middle ground- no room for people who think that everybody should have equal rights, but think the idea of ‘male privilege’ or ‘white privilege’ is embarrassing bullshit. Also, many MRAs probably are mentally ill. What’s wrong with stating the truth? Mentally ill people often have persecution complexes, which is exactly what many MRAs seem to have. That guy who can’t sit next to a woman on the bus, who can’t stand to read about them? I have been that guy, even if it was a different target I was fixated on. I know he is probably a huge asshole who would condemn me as an inferior being, but I also know that such an existence is torture.

Don’t forget that while the majority of people wouldn’t like MRA beliefs, they would find most of the beliefs of the regulars here almost as silly.

And now you can rip me to shreds (or ignore me, fine by me), which is a shame, because I really like this blog. But I had to say it.

jumbofisch
jumbofisch

Well I am glad this thread is outing all sorts of characters…..*facepalm*

Steele
Steele

Fatcat and Kavette – we may not agree on many things – but I salute you for your bravery here. Thirded.

Viscaria
Viscaria

What about teh people who believe everyone should have equal rights but also that privilege isn’t a real thing?? What about them?!??

Snowy
Snowy

What about teh mooooonz!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Oh and also

You don’t say?

Look, there are many mentally ill people in the world. I have no doubt that some of them are MRAs. I worry about those people, because the MRM is incredibly against mental health care; and because the MRM encourages rage and despair in its adherents. But I don’t think their mental illnesses make them dirty and wrong and “crazy” and bad and that’s why they’re in the MRM. Thanksabunch.

hellkell

You think privilege isn’t a real thing? Gee, the only people who seem to make that argument are the ones who benefit greatly from it.

LOL at Steele trying to buddy up to people.

Snowy
Snowy

Ok adding onto my silly comment, male privilege and white privilege are both things that I have. I definitely don’t think they’re bullshit and give major side-eye to people that do because they’re really pretty obvious things. For example, walking around on the street in my neighborhood I don’t get sexually harassed and I don’t get pulled over by the cops, things that happen to women and black people respectively that I’ve happened to be walking with. So that is a pretty obvious thing. If you think that’s bullshit then you need rethink your position.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Won’t someone think of the trolls?

Seriously, why should asshats be coddled for their bad behaviour?

hellkell

Oh, blockquotes, how you do vex me.

Steele
Steele

This is a truly fantastic point. MRAs are unfortunately marginalized in mainstream discourse – it’s true. Feminism has more clout by far – it’s true. But it’s a watered down, distilled feminism – the hate and misandry has been greatly reduced for mass consumption, as it were. I do believe that the misandrist-feminist, vile extremist beliefs that permeate Boobzland have no more support among the mainstream populace than do MRA beliefs. And soon, I believe, MRA beliefs will gain more clout, while the vile writhing deadlights of feminism fade into nothingness.

Sometimes I forget that. Thanks, fatcat.

jumbofisch
jumbofisch

So you think white people and men have no advantage over women and poc?

Citation fucking needed. In any case you don’t even know what being mentally ill means, hint:nothing to do with having persecution complexes.

What the hell? Why can’t you sit next to women on the bus or read about them? what do you even mean by different target?

What are you talking about? Being forced to live next to women is torture?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I manage to be mentally ill, sometimes (not atm) extremely mentally ill, and I’m not (AFAIK) a total asshole.

hellkell

Fatcat, there are nicer places on the web. They also do not have mockery in the site header.

CassandraSays

When white people don’t admit that they have white privilege “this is some really embarrassing bullshit” pretty much sums up my feelings about that.

EEB
EEB

@Kavette

Why is it so difficult to understand the difference between mocking a person (or people) for having silling, cruel, or disturbing ideas that are posted publically…and mocking a group of people because of their identity not their ideas, while using sterotypes and untruths instead of responding to their individual opinions?

Yes, if you use slurs that attack people–usually marginalized people, often people who aren’t even involved in the discussion–you will get called on it. Because that’s not “mean girls” behavior, it’s just straight up wrong, and it contributes to a culture that oppresses people who are different. (EX: If you call an extreme MRA “mentally ill”, you are not attacking his ideas and you are not just insulting him. You’ve now insulted all mentally ill people. We live in a society that fears and mocks the mentally ill, that believes mentally ill people are violent, where many believe we are little more than unthinking animals. It’s not okay to reinforce these sterotypes, and it’s not okay to hurt those of us who are mentally ill. “But it’s one word!” Yeah, but those words and statements and attitudes build and build and create the society we live in.)

This is not a hard concept!

hellkell

Fatcat–silly beliefs we hold? Which ones would those be exactly?

EEB
EEB

Um…should be “silly”, sorry.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m still wondering why the fuck we should be fighting for equal rights if there’s no such thing as privilege. I mean… we already have equal rights then, right? Or maybe privilege does exist, but we should fight for equal rights without ever letting privileged people feel embarrassed about it? Because that’s the REAL oppression?

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Why is FEW-TRELL so obsessed with Reddit? Dontcha think you spend a bit too much time there, Dave? 😛

jumbofisch
jumbofisch

@hellkell
Silly beliefs like thinking people should be equal of course!

hellkell

I think it’s latter, Viscaria. Pointing out the problem IS the problem to these yahoos.

hellkell

@Jumbofisch: I know, totes crazy and silly! People could never possibly be equal! Might as well want wings to fly around with!

fatcat
fatcat

@Viscaria

I didn’t mean to say that mentally ill people are dirty and wrong. I myself have mentally ill in the past, and I have many mentally ill family members. I just think that some of their beliefs can be explained by mental illness, so I was more trying to absolve them, to be honest.

And yes, it certainly is possible to believe very strongly (as I do) that everyone should have equal rights, dislike traditional gender roles, and work to empower women (and men, in areas where they need help) without believing that someone automatically has ‘privilege’ just for being male. Yes, I have read all the articles about it and yes, I still disagree.

I know you don’t agree, that’s fine

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Can we have equality and wings?

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

1. Thinking white privilege and male privilege are embarrassing bullshit is embarrassing bullshit.
2. Have you diagnosed a large number of MRAs? I think not. Pls refrain from throwing mentally ill people under the bus just ‘cus.
3. Steele is right. YOU ARE SO BRAVE YOU GUIZE