are these guys 12 years old? facepalm lying liars misogyny MRA reddit

Reddit Island Redux, or, The Possibly True Saga of Current Island

Dudes, try making a Lego island first, see how that goes.

You remember Reddit Island, right? The utterly serious, unintentionally hilarious project in which a bunch of Redditors attempt to set up a Reddity miniature utopia on some remote island somewhere? They are still trying to find an island, and apparently that process is … not going so swimmingly.

As Adrian Chen of Gawker notes in a nice long piece on the project, a fortysomething IT guy from Virginia names Mark Wells has been telling prospective Reddit Islanders that he may have found the perfect place for them:

Wells, who uses the handle Citizenpolitician, explained in a series of increasingly breathless posts on Reddit Island that he’d been scoping out a tiny tropical splotch called Current Island. Just off the coast of Bahamian island of Eluthera, Current is sparsely inhabited, and could be a possible option for their settlement. He’d cold-called members of the local government about the possibility of having a few hundred internet nerds settle Current Island. And he had been met with a very promising response.

Or so Wells said. Trouble is — SPOILER ALERT — Chen himself got in touch with Theo Neilly, the Bahamian Member of Parlliament who Wells had said was “very interested” in the Reddit Island project. And Neilly had a rather different story to tell Chen:

Neilly was more than a little surprised when I told him this. He’d never spoken with or even received an email from Wells, he said. He had heard word of Reddit Island, but only because an acquaintance Wells had actually contacted forwarded him the email. … [E]veryone in Eluthera I spoke to was eager to distance themselves and anyone they knew from him the Reddit Island idea.

D’oh!

Wella, for his part, claims that Chen has mucked up a good thing by actually trying to check to see if anything Wells was saying was true.

When Chen contacted the Bahamians, after being asked not to be involved since we were at a delicate time trying to start a process of negotiations, his contact to the Bahamians, making the relationship public, removed all opportunity for any further communication with the Bahamians and I am afraid now that he has gone to the extent of mentioning them in his article, will suffer political fall out because of this. THis is extremely poor journalism and unfortunate not just for us but for those that wanted to find out more about what we had to offer and what could come of that.

This also puts us in a difficult situation because any further communications with other land owners and government representatives in other countries could become publicly abused as this relationship did and end all hopes for negotiating in good faith with those people. It means that going further will be difficult if we are to maintain transparency and be open to the group here because people like Chen will use it to distort and dismantle those efforts.

So, back to the drawing board, I guess. (The whole discussion of Chen’s article in the Reddit Island subreddit is hilarious, actually.)

Let me make a suggestion, guys: Don’t try to go it alone! Basically, what you’re talking about is forming a tiny civilization that will be essentially a bunch of dudes. In the past, you guys have treated the “sausage party” aspect of the project as a liability.

Instead, you should embrace it as a selling point. Team up with some of the fellas over in the Men’s Rights subreddit; many of them seem not to be fans of women at all.

Heck, some of the guys there are ALREADY TALKING ABOUT GETTING AN ISLAND:

MRA Island! Make it a reality.

In related news, a number of years back a bunch of Something Awful goons launched a similar island project. It involved an actual tropical  island and everything. It seems to have fallen apart; it’s not clear (since I haven’t actually read anything about it beyond that blog post I linked)  if there was any cannibalism involved.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Women only cities? Apparently there are plans for one in Saudi Arabia but are they common elsewhere? I guess we will now have MRA complaining about how discriminated against men are in Saudi.

raspberryberet13

Silly boys! They’re thinking too small. They ought to be looking into getting their own planet, like the dudes did in Ethan of Athos!

snirgle snirgle snirgle snirgle

Or, you know, maybe they could start small, like a treehouse, for practice.

Look at well that worked for Calvin and Hobbes!

the twisted spinster
the twisted spinster

It’s the He-man Women-haters club!

burgundy
burgundy

I can’t imagine them developing a culture as kind and well-run as Athos. Social duty credits? How dare you say they have a social duty!

hellkell
hellkell

Or start with one of their own backyards, and see how it goes.

I do love Wells’ hissy over being exposed as a liar. These dudes don’t do much well.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Or start with one of their own backyards, and see how it goes.

That would be like little kids going camping in tents in the garden and talking about how girls have cooties.. except replace “kids” with “grown men”.

Buttman
Buttman

It will surely go better than the leftist utopias like Jonestown.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Bird Island in Florida looks like a great deal for the enterprising MRA – $250K for 50 acres! How hard can it be for a bunch of guys to come up with $250,000? It’s a perfect opportunity for them to build everything with their own hands.

When I buy my island, though, it will be one just like this. Y’all are all invited.

sthlivingincolor

They should get together with these guys trying to build a libertarian island (I have the impression there’s a certain amount of overlap between the MRA and glibertarian groups, anyway): http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/silicon-valley-billionaire-funding-creation-artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

No building codes, minimum wage, or gun restrictions! What could possibly go wrong?

Falconer
Falconer

I’m not surprised that someone tried to scam the MRAs on Reddit by claiming to have a line on a private island somewhere.

I am surprised that there’s a website devoted to the sale of private islands. Like, I didn’t know buying your own island was an actual thing that people actually did.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

“Hey, we love high five-ing each other on the net, right! Surely that’s a solid basis for a civilization.”

xardoz

Of course the MRA/MGTOWs won’t ever “Go Galt” and make their own island, because that involves actual effort and getting off the internets for more than a minute. It’s a lovely idea, though.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Ahhhhahaha, that discussion about their web site is hilarious. I set up a WordPress site for a friend’s animal sanctuary a couple of years ago and had the whole thing done in a few days. Four days, I think? She’s so untechy that she still isn’t quite clear on what a URL is, but we got it done and she’s been running it on her own just fine. These guys are so full of shit.

Reynardine
Reynardine

Now Jonestown is supposed to have been leftist? I was in the Bay Area when that went down. It was nothing but an RWA/SDO religious cult. Amazing, what vapors these stories generate as time goes on.

KittehServant
KittehServant

Priceless, absolutely priceless!

I’d kind of like to see a reality show called Reddit (or MRA) Island. It’d be quite the spectator sport to see how long it’d take before it turned into Lord of the Flies Mark 2.

Plus think how grateful their parents would be to have their basements back and watch their internet bills plunge.

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

@KittehServant

There could be counters for MRA ‘talking points’ such as ’empty use of things actually of concern to men’, ‘LADIES NIGHT IS MISANDRY’ and ‘B*tches and wh*res!’ (which would be one of the higher ones methinks).

Also we can vote them off. And by voting them off, I mean they have to partake in a challenge, like being polite to a woman.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Okay, so let me get this straIght..

A bunch of internet guys want to buy an island, which has absolutely zero infrastructure or ammenities, and build a civilization on it. *giggle*

I mean, if they want ideas on low tech solutions, I got all kinds of info on things that work. One of my pet hobbies is looking for low tech yet very efficient ways of homesteading and or developing world solutions with very limited resources.

What they are looking at is a ton of hard labour and high risk. Also, buying the island is the easy part. I haven’t seen any mention of the many many oher costs that need to be factored in… Including how they are going to get themselves there along with basic necesarry supplies and skills. Has anyone started organizing these guys to make sure they have experienced qualified men capable of handling medical emergencies, setting up trade? Anything? I mean, having fifty guys buy in and realizing not one of them knows how to set a broken bone or plow a straight line would be comic to watch.

Buttman
Buttman

“Now Jonestown is supposed to have been leftist?”

Of course it was. It was basically a communist commune. You lived there so of course they’re going to downplay how San Francisco ideals led to the disaster.

burgundy
burgundy

I can’t get over the commenter who has a hard time even sitting next to a woman on the bus. How fucked up do you have to be for that to be a challenge? How miserable must you be, if such minor aspects of daily living cause you distress? No wonder people like that feel persecuted and oppressed; the world really does function in such a way as to make them almost constantly unhappy. Of course, the problem is with them, not with the fact that the world actually contains women.

fembot

I’ve had this idea for a science fiction story. There is a planet of only males, as they have gone all MRA and eradicated women, using artificial wombs to procreate. The men there have never seen a woman, and don’t know what one is. Then, a woman from another planet that still lets women exist crash lands on this planet. The protaganist discovers her, and is shocked at the strange feelings she inspires in him. He hides her from the other men so she isn’t killed or imprisoned. They end up falling in love and plotting to overthrow the government of the womanless planet. Or they escape to another planet to live together and have children. Haven’t figured it out.

Podkayne

@fembot — have you read the “Chaos Walking” books by Patrick Ness? Has a lot of the points you just discussed, with many layers of added fucked-up.

fembot

@Podkayne

No, but I’ll check those out.

karak86
karak86

I’m not gonna lie, I think the idea of going off and making a pretend civilization on an island is kind of a fun idea, and would actually be pretty awesome if they managed to pull it off to any worthwhile extent.

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

Maybe they should call it Pen Island. [/cheap joke] [/3AM]

Fembot: That could end up with an unintentional subtext of “a man is incomplete without a woman.”

April Richards

@fembot: There is a book like out there called “Spartan Planet” by A. Bertarm Chaundler. Good book but it could have been better

Balance
Balance

pillowinhell said

”And um… How many of these guys have built so much as a tool shed? Kept a garden large enough to preserve food (hell! Preserved food!), built a road by manual labour, set up a sanitation system, anything?
They do realize that many of the skill sets they need are traditionally feminine ones right?”

I think the island idea is dumb and unfeasible too, but this comment is total BS. Since when is building a tool shed and roads by manual labor or setting up a sanitation system a traditionally feminine skill? I guess they could use some traditionally feminine skills if they wanted some interior decorating done, but I doubt they’d want that.

If they hired a team of people to build infrastructure on the island, I seriously doubt there would be many women on that team if any at all. How many female construction workers do you see that do anything other than holding signs?

ozymandias42

Balance: Canning and preserving food is. Cleaning is. Gardening is. Cooking is. Sewing clothes is. First aid and other basic medicine is.

xardoz

The female planet/ male planet idea was also explored clumsily in the anime Vandread. It had an intersting premise, but it ended up becoming a boring “harem” show with crudely animated CGI mech fights.

What the heck, here’s the first episode, you can see some amusing anti-woman propoganda around 1:40, it’s not too different from some MRAGTOW screeds. The man planet also doesn’t seem like the nicest place…

Shaenon

Jonestown: well-known feminist paradise.

I love the idea that it will take an advanced programming genius to make a site with some pictures of islands and a PayPal button. Everything is so hard for the Galtian supermen.

Best quote from the article: so far the project has raised “$500 in real money, plus 73 bitcoins.”

fembot

@katz

Yes, certainly. Although some of the other men on the planet are happy living without women. Shouldn’t they be given a choice, though, instead of being segregated from women all of their lives? They are being kept in perpetual ignorance, based on a decision someone else made centuries ago (that women are bad). I think the entire novel could end up having a very “misandrist” subtext if the reader wanted to spin it that way. But a planet where women have been purposefully removed because they caused too many problems? It doesn’t get more anti-woman than that. But anyway, it’s science fiction. And I haven’t even written the damned thing.

Shaenon

…NWO, is that you?

I’ve got a book on housewifery skills from the Victorian era, and it’s amazing how much of it would be at home in a survivalist handbook. Women kept “kitchen gardens” and orchards that were supposed to provide the family with most of its fruits and vegetables, raised and slaughtered chickens, made butter and cheese, baked bread from scratch, and jarred preserves for the winter. My favorite section is on cultivating your own yeast, because how else are you going to brew the family’s beer?

There’s also a lot on basic medical care and tending a sickbed; it’s easy to forget what a big part of people’s lives that was before modern medicine.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth
PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Off topic but apparently women outmedaled men in the top three countries: US, China and Russia. This despite having less medals to win. Source

Nanasha
Nanasha

These “live in a world without women” fantasies remind me of the following anime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Marionette – Saber Marionette: Men live on a planet of only men with female robots that run around and stuff. It’s considered weird to be sexually attracted to the robots, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandread- Vandread: men and women live on SEPARATE PLANETS and men think that women are actually monsters. A man ends up running into a spaceship full of women and hijinks ensue.

I wouldn’t be all that sad if horrible MRA MGTOW misogynists would remove themselves from the planet. There are plenty of decent men out there, after all, who are perfectly fine with living here on planet Reality.

captainbathrobe
captainbathrobe

@Reynardine,

Well, FWIW, Jim Jones apparently did claim to be a Marxist, and he had his people out canvassing for Harvey Milk at one point. According to Randy Shilts, Milk knew Jones was scary but accepted the help because…well, when you’re the first openly gay politician in the country, you take help wherever you can get it. Besides, Jones had helped other liberal San Francisco politicians, so Milk wasn’t beyond the pale in accepting Jones’ help at the time.

So, yeah, Jones could credibly claim to be a leftist–which does not in any way mean that other leftists approved of or were responsible for Jones’ horrible acts that later came to light.

sthlivingincolor

Balance really shows his way of thinking when he assumes that the only people who can do traditionally female jobs are women. There are plenty of men that can do them, but probably few MRAs, since they have nothing but contempt for anything associated with women. And they have no clue how hard women work when they “just” stay home and raise kids. But your little utopia is going absolutely nowhere if you can’t grow and prepare food.

princessbonbon

I am reading a book on brewing ale/beer in England from about 1300 to 1600. It went from being a completely female dominated industry to being a totally male dominated one in just about two hundred years.

What is traditional is generally probably not that traditional beyond a few centuries.

xardoz

Wow Nanasha, I had no idea Cyber Marionette had such a creepy fembot plot. I always thought the character designs were hideous (even in the 90s), so I stayed away from it. Dodged a bullet there.

xardoz

Oops, Saber Marionette. I like my title better.

fembot: Yeah, it’s silly of me to make criticisms of something that doesn’t even exist yet! Jussayin that if you did write it, that would be one thing you’d want to watch out for.

fembot

@katz

Yeah, I’m not sure how I could avoid that. I mean, I do think that for most people, having a partner to love and who loves them back is integral to happiness. ( I should point out that on this planet, men do not have romantic relationships with other men and they are celibate, though masturbation is treated as a normal ritual, like brushing your teeth) But I do understand that it’s ok if people don’t want a partner, and that is fine. So, I guess I don’t know how I could avoid the message “you need a woman to be happy,” when really the important point is that women deserve to exist. ? It’s confusing.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I hope the MGTOW jump at this great opportunity to live on a private island. It’s so easy, too! Here’s what to do:

Step 1: Watch Cast Away a few times to prepare yourself for the challenges of island living.

Step 2: Send your life savings to some guy on Reddit.

Step 3: Enjoy your tax free, woman free paradise!

*Disclaimer: This plan does not account for how you will get food, fresh water, medical care, or shelter on your island paradise. Hopefully, these insignificant details will work themselves out.

Rutee Katreya

At least the MGTOw talking about an tree- sorry, island-house are finally discussing going their own way, rather than *just* the evils of women.

Molly moon
Molly moon

@fembot

Is it integral to the plot that they fall in love?

fembot

@Molly

I guess not. But they do have sex. And I’m a big fan of love stories, though, provided they are well written and not some Nicholas Sparks crap. I guess I’m a romantic 😉

Just out of curiosity, what don’t you like about the love part?

fembot:

Hmm. In what you’re describing, I’d say the primary dystopic feature is the no-relationships aspect, not the no-women aspect; you could write an interesting story around “no sex, no dating, no marriage, no families” without the gender-segregation part at all.

Maybe there could be a gay couple that also want to run away so that they can get married, too (star-crossed same-sex lovers would, after all, be way more common than heterosexual lovers of any variety). Or, if the focus is on womens’ right to exist, maybe there could be focus on them and the interaction, such as it is, between them and the male planet. Are the men waging a war to eradicate them, like in The Female Man? Is there a big government effort to suppress knowledge of their existence?

(I’d personally be inclined to not make it a romantic relationship and just have them become friends and the guy be interested in joining her culture just because he finds her interesting and he’s intrigued by the greater diversity of her culture, but that’s just more my style, not the correct/only tack to take.)

fembot

Is there a big government effort to suppress knowledge of their existence?

This. Culturally, all traces of women are gone. The men on the planet do not know that the human species has women. The woman, however, is from an Earth like planet where the different genders all mix.

I feel like this has been explored a lot, already, (Logan’s Run, Brave New World, The Giver, etc.) The point is that the men on this planet have radically altered nature, because they had become so misogynistic they honestly thought they were saving humanity by getting rid of women. But the sex drive is still present in these men, they just channel it or suppress it. I guess some men would still be gay, but since it’s forbidden, they can’t be together openly. Or maybe they take pills that destroy all sexual/romantic/emotional impulse. Maybe when the woman meets the man, she tells him about sex, and convinces him to stop taking the pills so he begins to feel attraction to her.

I guess it could also be possible that when the men finally do see a woman, they are repulsed rather than attracted to her, because she is so foreign to them.

Dvärghundspossen

Fembot: That also reminds me of a plot in one episode of the very strange sci-fi show Lexx. There are four, er, people flying around in the galaxy on the most powerful warship ever, the Lexx. There’s Stan, who’s the most un-attractive man in the universe. Zev, a traditionally hot woman who once had her brain operated on making her constantly horny. Kai, who’s a zombie, and a little robot head that’s lost its body and is in love with Zev. A lot of the eps are driven by Zev’s and Stan’s quest to get laid. They can’t fuck each other, because Stan is the only male in the universe that doesn’t turn Zev on. Zev is always trying to get it on with Kai, but he can’t have sex due to being a zombie. Stan’s inability to get laid anywhere is due to him being so incredibly unattractive, while Zev just has terribly bad luck all the time and continuously bumps into guys who wants to save sex for marriage, or are only interested in stealing the awesome spaceship, or something else is gonna get in the way at the last minute when she’s gonna get it on with someone.

Anyway. In one ep they arrive at a male-only planet that was founded by this real misogynist. Most of the men, however, grew up there and simply don’t know that women exist. Once a year they have a traditional orgy when all the men go together and bang each other. When the crew of Lexx arrives, it turns out that only ONE man in the group was naturally gay. Everyone else goes completely gaga over Zev and she pretty much bangs the entire society. Mr Misogynist goes all foamy at the mouth and tries to think of ways to get rid of this terrible female. He murders one of the men of the planet and tries to frame the crew of Lexx for it. I don’t remember exactly how the story goes since it was a long time since I watched it, but somehow his scheme is revealed and he then blows up the entire planet (although our heroes escape).

1 2 3 5