bullying harassment misogyny on the tv rape jokes reddit sexual harassment YouTube

Here’s the video of the Al Jazeera English show featuring Helen Lewis and Rebecca Watson, among others, and me.

It’s  pretty good show. Most of the discussion involves social media researcher and Fordham professor Alice Marwick and Helen Lewis of the New Statesman. Those of us in the Google+ Hangout pop in briefly with comments and questions.

FWIW, I appear only briefly in the show proper, but I have a somewhat longer (and a bit more coherent) comment in the ten minute “online only” portion that immediately follows the show (and which is also on this video).

It was a somewhat strange, if educational, experience, my first appearance on TV. (The next time I get webcammed into a show, I won’t reflexively look down at the laptop while talking.) It all went by really, really quickly. Weirdly frantic behind the scenes as the producer tried to slot us all in.

The comments on the video on YouTube nicely  illustrate the problem we were discussing; that is, they are a rancid pile of misogynistic shitlordery.

My favorite comment is this one from Urhoboman5 about Rebecca Watson:

At 5;30 that chick has a youtube channel. Just type in rebecca feminist and you’ll find it. Interesting how most of her videos are voted down. Sometimes as much as 80% negative because the stuff she says is pure nonsense.

That’s right. He actually thinks that the fact that her videos are targeted by downvote squads proves that she’s wrong to talk about harassment. She’s harassed by dudes who don’t like her talking about harassment so therefore it’s “nonsense” for her to talk about harassment. Brilliant.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I theorize that Joe is one of those people who thinks talking about or acknowledging race is racist.

Falconer
Falconer

In the US, “thug” is often used as a racist dog whistle. I don’t know if this holds true in the UK. If it does, I find it hilarious that Joe feels the need to use coded language like this.

He’s rejected the concept of dog whistles on the basis that they don’t have them in Blighty.

I’m no expert, but I think there is a legitimate concern in the UK over roving bands of white punks. There’s plenty of Those People talk, too.

And Joe can’t be a racist because one of his parents is brown.

fembot

Joe, instead of shouting over and over again how we are racist, can you just find where we said something racist and link to it? What provoked this tantrum of yours? What was the specific comment that sent you over the edge? Because no one here knows what the hell you are talking about.

@Anathema:

I think his logic (for lack of a better term) is that because some Muslims are homophobes, therefore everyone who doesn’t hate all Muslims is a homophobe. (And a racist, I guess. I’m not entirely sure how that bit fits in.)

I think you’ve got it just about right. I’m guessing this is his thought process:

“Well, Muslims are all violent savages. Just look what they did here! People who are saying that Muslims aren’t the problem are being racist, because they are using the race of the perpetrators to excuse the behavior of all Muslims. And they’re homophobes because they’re using this tragic circumstance to perpetuate their agenda of Muslim-loving. Also, they’re defending the perpetrators because they aren’t recognizing the obvious fact that the stabbers did it because they were Muslim.”

*sigh* It’s “the anti-bigots are the real bigots” all over again all over again.

Myoo
Myoo

Oh no, the EEBIL MOOSLIMS are taking over Europe, no other religion is as bad as them!

Why, it’s not as if from 1933 to 1974 there was an oppressive dictatorship in Portugal that based its “moral values” in Christianity, and that censored any opposition to government, had a secret police and regularly “vanished people”. It’s also not as if in 1940 the Catholic Church signed a treaty with said dictatorship that removed freedom of religion, established the Catholic Church as the official religion of Portugal and gave unparalleled benefits to the clergy. No, that never happened.

Another thing that also hasn’t happened is that despite its support of the dictatorship, the Catholic Church is still the main religion in Portugal, and has been the major opposition to abortion rights, LGBT rights, sex education and other such issues that conflict with the churches teachings, nope, not at all.

It’s also not the case that the Catholic Church has an immense amount of political and economical power across the world, no.

No, what I have to worry about is a minority of Muslim immigrants that has barely any power to affect legislation and social mores. That’s the people who I should worry that they are taking over Europe.

Fuck off Joe, you’re a fucking intolerant asshole. Europe has more to worry about from the Christian Church than they do about Islam, and you know what? That doesn’t make me go around saying that all Christians are evil people who are trying to take over Europe, because people are individuals and a lot of Christians are still perfectly decent people who simply find spiritual comfort in their religion.

kirbywarp

Would not be surprising at all if Joe was an Anne Coulter fan. I still remember reading a book by her where she basically said after 9/11 “We know what they look like. We’d be fools not to target all the foreign-looking folks.” Somehow the situation was always choosing between a white grandma and a Muslim youth in a turban…

@cloudiah:

Oh Noes! Nots the Muslins! D:

Falconer
Falconer

Joe also seems to be convinced that he who calls racist first or loudest, wins.

Hence the capslock abuse.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@ Kirbywarp – Nice cloth. Or is it? White cloth is, after all, what Klan robes are made of, and therefore intrinsically r4c1st. How dare you defend the perpetrators of lynching like that?

@Sir Bodsworth:

But but but… It’s soft!

*curls into a confused but comfortable ball*

tasblacksmith
tasblacksmith

Joe, I don’t like criminals that stab people I think criminals that stab people should be arrested and held accountable for their crimes.If I saw someone being stabbed, I would do what i could to help the victim of the crime committed by a criminal. I would hope that the justice system would take into account the motivation of the criminal and the circumstances of the victim. That way the crime can be seen in context, for example a hate crime committed by a criminal motivated by hate towards the perceived identity of the victim.
I would also hope that the publicity of high profile crimes would trigger a debate about how we can reduce their frequency, how we make the streets safer for all.
But you don’t do you Joe? Your just a hater. A useless fuckwitted reactionary hater.
Anyway how would you deal with this ‘Islamic threat’ Joe? Do tell us. Have you any answers to the problem you have identified?

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

That’s the problem with many leftist feminists. They only want to bash misogynists if they’re white, all the while ignoring the women-hating coming from non-whites. Misogyny should be condemned no matter who it comes from.

Falconer
Falconer

But but but… It’s soft!

That’s how it gets ya!

fishes
fishes

yes rudy thats the problem here and not someone spouting off about how all Muslims are homophobic and we should all hate those middle eastern Muslims.

@Ruby:

And you base this sentiment on what, exactly? The only thing I’ve ever seen that even comes close from lefties is discouraging piling on non-white folks for the misogyny that’s found everywhere expressly because they are non-white. That is not the same thing at all.

Anathema
Anathema

Ruby, I’m going to ask you to do the same thing I asked Joe to do:

Name one (just one!) person on this site who has done this. Because I sure don’t remember anyone here saying that misogyny is okay so long as the misogynists aren’t white.

Cliff Pervocracy

So I went to the bar and when I got back… huh.

The best I can understand Joe’s logic is:
-You should hate Muslims.
-Muslims are not a race.
-If you do not hate Muslims, this is because you falsely believe they are a race.
-RACISM!!!!!!!!!

And the best I can understand Ruby’s logic is:
-If I keep calling myself a libertarian feminist, I can be as much of an authoritarian bigot as I like! Because I said I was a libertarian feminist!

kirbywarp

Never mind me asking exactly how one can be a rightist feminist these days… Maybe if you enjoy a good rape joke every now and then.

kirbywarp

Oh, right, Ruby’s a libertarian. Hmm… Snark… Off base… Nuuuuuuuu! *failure puddle*

@Cliff:

I’m convinced that Joe thought folks were giving Muslims special treatment (ie not blaming all Muslims for something that a few people did) because of their race… Basically what Ruby insinuated.

clairedammit
clairedammit

*failure puddle*

Is that what happens when you spill KFC gravy?

kirbywarp

Oh god. I’ve seen so many commercials for KFC chicken nuggets on the Daily Show website… It’s made me crave fried chicken like no other but become utterly repulsed by KFC for having them on constantly. Not quite what they intended, I imagine.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Friggin’ wind! I wanted to go cycling today, but it’s blowing a gale outside.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I never liked KFC (is it just me, or is the French fry smell in their parking lots really weird?) but Popeyes, man. I haven’t eaten chicken in about 15 years and I still crave Popeyes sometimes.

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

Many leftists tend to IGNORE the misogyny and homophobia from non-whites. Black pastors speak out against gay marriage, they get ignored. Not so when the white Chick-Fil-A guy does it.

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

At least this leftist understands:

Cliff Pervocracy

Bill Maher: “The worst [white US extremists] can do is, like, identify the gay Teletubby!”

Maybe you shouldn’t be posting that a couple days after a white US extremist shot up a Sikh temple, Ruby.

Cliff Pervocracy

Many leftists tend to IGNORE the misogyny and homophobia from non-whites.

Oh shit, guys, remember that part where we said “misogyny and homophobia are only bad if you’re white”? We totally fucked up there!

We need to start targeting non-white people who say problematic things, because how else will we retain our self-righteousness while still getting to target non-white people?

clairedammit
clairedammit

If white leftists are ignoring the shitty things some people of color say (if that’s even true) then that’s evidence of racism against the people of color, not against whites.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Also, Bill Maher is an asshole.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

So how many left wing sources regarding the black pastors’ statement did you look at, Ruby, before deciding that none of them mentioned it? I read a few criticising the pastors – I wouldn’t know what you’re talking about otherwise. As for the comparison with Chik-fil-a, are you suggesting that leftists should be boycotting conservative black churches? How does that even work?

Sharculese

no idiot, we just dont myopically obsess about people of color, because we’re not drooling racists

marinerachel
marinerachel

Really? Using Bill Maher as support for your argument? For serious? Epic tool, that one.

Don’t recall condoning misogyny or racism when committed by non-white folk and I’m so far left I’m Canadian!

Sharculese

At least this leftist understands:

of course ruby’s ikon of leftism is dimwitted, misogynistic, anti-science dipshit bill maher

because she’s totally uninterested in having anything interesting to say

Sharculese

but congratulations ruby, you found another reason to piss and moan about being persecuted by ‘the left’ without responding to any actual criticism. this is the sort of self-gratifying cowardice we’ve come to expect from you.

i repeat what i said before. there are a lot of intelligent, insightful, and creative conservatives, many of whom i adore. you’re not one of them. you’re fundamentally a stupid, self-absorbed asshole, and that’s all youll ever be.

Sharculese

you’ll of course ignore that, because you get off on pretending to be persecuted. sort of like an mra.

i mean, exactly like an mra.

Sharculese

actually, im from georgia, so im friends with a ton of wingers, and most of them are at least receptive when you tell them shit they said comes off as racist, and want to think about how they’re approaching this shit

i have never in my life met a conservative who throws a tantrum about these things so quickly as dumb pretend victim ruby hypatia

granted, most of my winger friends are also way smarter than ruby, so…

Chibigodzilla

Oh wow, for some time I’ve seen a lot of antagonism that I didn’t get toward Ruby, while I never saw anything outside of insipid from her(I do generally have trouble keeping up with threads that surpass two pages). Now I finally get to see the Ruby people are so angry at. I must say, I’m sorry I doubted the Manboobz comentariat.

Anathema
Anathema

No. Homophobia does not get ignored when it’s perpetrated by black people.

Remember Proposition 8? After that passed, a huge deal was made over the fact that black people were more likely to have voted yes.

Nevermind that when other factors were taken into account, it turned out that race wasn’t a very good predictor of how people voted on Prop 8. Nevermind that someone’s political party, ideology, religiosity, and age each correlated to how someone voted on Prop 8 much more strongly than race. The media focused on the role that race played in determining how someone voted on Prop 8. And, as that role was rather insignificant in reality, the media exaggerated it to a huge extent.

So at least in that case, the media (yeah, even the leftists) emphasized homophobia amongst black people whilst ignoring all the other factors. Which is, you know, the opposite of what you just said.

lowquacks
lowquacks

That Maher clip is scary in how it goes from being racist but still recognisably in the stand-up comedy form to straight-out Stormfront stuff, but the audience reaction stays the same throughout :

Cliff Pervocracy

Chibigodzilla – The tipping point with Ruby is when she started insisting that prison rape is hilarious so long as the person being raped “deserved it”, and threw a huge hissyfit absolutely refusing to back down when people told her how fucked-up that is.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Gah! Why did I watch that clip? Smug neocolonial bullshit.

Cliff Pervocracy

Lowquacks – Holy shit, I just realized that poster behind him says “Why We Fight” and it’s the Statue of Liberty in hijab.

It’s like, he’s got the rhythm and presentation of a professional stand-up comic, so maybe that’s why the audience doesn’t pick up on it so quickly, but his “nope, Western civilization is just better” is holy shit Stormfront.

Cliff Pervocracy

It’s also amusing (for some terrible value of “amusing”) how he transitions so smoothly between “we should treat the Gitmo prisoners like animals, who cares if they starve” to “we’re better than them because we have rule of law!”

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

On the other hand, proudly proclaiming that we’re better than everyone else in the world and so we can interfere with them in any way we see fit – that’s pretty much a Western value.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Until last year soliciting a crime against nature (oral or anal sex) was considered a felony by Louisiana law, and required the guilty party to sign the sex offenders register. Roughly 40% of people on the register in New Orleans are prostitutes.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Apparently old crimes were removed as of April this year, but still that is scarily recent.

Shadow
Shadow

Wow at the Maher clip. And I bet those countries that don’t see that it’s “better” will jusy have to be shown by them thar enlightened countries that it’s “better”, kicking and screaming if need be.

@Sir Bodsworth

Sadly, that seems to be global

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Well, yeah, but we’re best at it!

1 3 4 5 6 7 11