bullying harassment misogyny on the tv rape jokes reddit sexual harassment YouTube

Here’s the video of the Al Jazeera English show featuring Helen Lewis and Rebecca Watson, among others, and me.

It’s  pretty good show. Most of the discussion involves social media researcher and Fordham professor Alice Marwick and Helen Lewis of the New Statesman. Those of us in the Google+ Hangout pop in briefly with comments and questions.

FWIW, I appear only briefly in the show proper, but I have a somewhat longer (and a bit more coherent) comment in the ten minute “online only” portion that immediately follows the show (and which is also on this video).

It was a somewhat strange, if educational, experience, my first appearance on TV. (The next time I get webcammed into a show, I won’t reflexively look down at the laptop while talking.) It all went by really, really quickly. Weirdly frantic behind the scenes as the producer tried to slot us all in.

The comments on the video on YouTube nicely  illustrate the problem we were discussing; that is, they are a rancid pile of misogynistic shitlordery.

My favorite comment is this one from Urhoboman5 about Rebecca Watson:

At 5;30 that chick has a youtube channel. Just type in rebecca feminist and you’ll find it. Interesting how most of her videos are voted down. Sometimes as much as 80% negative because the stuff she says is pure nonsense.

That’s right. He actually thinks that the fact that her videos are targeted by downvote squads proves that she’s wrong to talk about harassment. She’s harassed by dudes who don’t like her talking about harassment so therefore it’s “nonsense” for her to talk about harassment. Brilliant.

Falconer

Well, not even “supporting Islam”, just “not being Islamophobic” or “supporting the rights of Muslims not to be discriminated against for their religion”.

“Not all Muslims are like that” = YOU RACIST FUCKBAG

xardoz

Whoa whoa whoa Joe, calm down, why all the irrational rage on the internet? Tame your emotions.

I just noticed the Amazing Atheist Rape Threat in that video (which was pretty awesome, by the way). Oh my LOL.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

For the love of God, do you have the slightest understanding of how religious privilege works? A Christian guy stabs someone and the headline will read “man injured in stabbing”; a Muslim guy does it it’s “Muslim stabs man in hate crime”.

For someone who prides himself on being able to see through the clever distortions that the elites put in the mainstream media, you’re surprisingly bad at seeing through the obvious distortions in the mainstream media.

lowquacks
lowquacks

I’m a libertarian feminist

lol

Sharculese

Quite frankly, some of you, and you know who you are, spend way too much time on this web site having hategasm after hategasm. Your lives must suck pretty bad.

BAAAAAAAAWWWWWW

why wont these people swallow my rightwing bullshit wholesale

Sharculese

I’m a libertarian

for pretend, self-serving values of libertarian

Sharculese

@lowquacks

libetarians can also be feminists. it just so happens that ruby is neither.

Anathema
Anathema

Every single one of you supporting, excusing and pandering to violent homophobes because you believe they belong to a special magic race (that doesn’t even exist, you morons!) – is a RACIST FUCKBAG!

Name one person here who has done this.

Falconer

Name one person here who has done this.

My money’s on “THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE!”

My fake, Internet money.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Not sure on the libertarian thing, because any ideology that basically says “maybe we should have the status quo, but moreso, because capitalism is awesome and free markets are automatically great” is going to have trouble fitting in with feminism, but I’m sure it’s vaguely possible and that Cliff and Zhinxy and others would be able to tell me exactly how, but yeah, that’s what was funny.

tasblacksmith
tasblacksmith

@ The First Joe
I never said Islam is a race. You really need to stop making shit up about people.
However as Anathema has already explained,

“However, there is a history of people using Islam as a dogwhistle for race. Islam is used as a proxy for race in order to give racists some degree of plausible deniability when they’re called out on their racism.

This doesn’t mean that all criticism of Islam is racist. But when someone starts whining about those Muslim immigrants and how barbaric and awful they all are, it kinda becomes clear that the word “Muslim” is simply being used as a code word for “brown people.” And that’s racist.”

Just so I understand are you saying that the majority of all stabbings are muslim on non-muslim? Are all the victims gay? Please supply evidence.
There is a growing knife carrying culture among british youth, particularly in London. The Met have been dealing with this for nearly a decade. If you have a violent confrontation on the streets of London, the weapon of choice is a knife. It seems logical to me that with a growing number of disaffected youth and a knife carrying culture you have a real problem. Your answer, shout about ISLAM EXTREMISTS.
You are part of the problem.
You are a tin foil hat wearing, Islamaphobic, BNP EDL sympathiser, and you smell. So there.
I feel sorry for anybody who is gay and a friend of yours.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Besides, the elimination of the free market’s number one priority on the Marxist Slut Agenda, soo…

Sharculese

libertarianism doesnt necessarily say this is the answer

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Sharculese

We must’ve encountered different types of libertarianism, but okay.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@ Sharculese: “for pretend, self-serving values of libertarian”

Once or twice, I’ve run into libertarians who were genuinely thoughtful people, and not self seeking jerks who picked a political stance purely to justify their classism. But they are rather underrepresented in the online libertarian community.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Christ, I hate caps.

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Shiraz

Fuck the caps!

Sharculese

oh yeah, the online libertarian community is mostly rightwing shitheads like ruby, who say they’re libertarians because it sounds more interesting than being a regular wingnut

to her credit, ruby is like vaguely antihomophic and against the drug war, but that’s about the extent of her non-shitty positions

clairedammit
clairedammit

I have a cousin who’s an anti-choice libertarian. She lurrrves her some Ron Paul. If you met her you’d think she was the sweetest person (as long as you didn’t talk politics with her). But she lives in her little privilege bubble and can’t understand that other people don’t live exactly like her. She’s also super gullible and still believes that Pepsi and P&G are making “natural flavors” out of aborted babies.

I’ve known one other libertarian offline. He was basically a sociopath who liked to smoke pot.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Huh, I wonder why my comment is awaiting moderation. Was it the phrase “aborted babies”?

Shadow
Shadow

@Shiraz & lowquacks

How racist of you!!

Sharculese

@claire

did you mention a certain racist politician from texas or a synonym for prostitutes starting with ‘w’

cuz those are banned now

The First Joe
The First Joe

@Sir nobby numbnuts –

Actually, in the UK papers it is much LESS likely that a criminals race or religion will get reported if either or both of those are of a “minority” status (even if they are the majority in that locality). For fear of “inflaming sensitivities”

If the motive for crime does not fit with PC dogma it will often be reported as “motiveless”, “mindless”, “random”.

In the Olly Hemsley case headlines in the mainstream media read:

“Mail – “A student tipped as a star fashion designer of the future has been left paralysed after being stabbed in a random street attack. Oliver Hemsley, then 20, was set upon by a gang of youths as he innocently walked with a flatmate on a summer evening last year. ”

Mirror – “Budding fashion designer Oliver Hemsley, 21, was picked at random and stabbed repeatedly by a schoolboy thug as he walked with a girl pal.”

Indie – “A brush with death: Why Britain’s coolest art and fashion names have rallied around a victim of random knife crime””

^Gosh! There’s no clue as to the motive is there???

But the pink paper reported it differently.

“8 September 2008

Georgeand Dragon A 22-year-old man is fighting for his life after being stabbed outside one of London’s popular gay venues.

The victim, who worked in Shoreditch and lives in neighboring Arnold Circus, was attacked by eight Asian youths on 28 August on Boundary Street, East London – yards from the George and Dragon pub.

In a completely unmotivated and gruesome attack, youths snatched a bottle of wine he was carrying, smashed it and used the broken glass to stab him in the torso, while two others then attacked him with knives.

He was stabbed a total of eight times.

Now, he remains in critical but stable condition with his family at his bedside.

This is the latest in a series of incidents concerning Asian youths that have been reported in
the area.

An anonymous informant told Pink Paper: “There’s been a lot of Asian teenage gangs who terrorise customers at the Joiners Arms and the George and Dragon. Initially, it started as verbal abuse and spitting, but now it’s escalating. I’m going to court myself in a few weeks because I was punched in the face by somebody who hated me for being gay.

“People assume that – because of a few bars in Hoxton Square – the whole of East London is liberal. The truth is, disproportionate levels of homophobia are still spiralling. Fact. We have to do something.””

^Aha! Homophobic violence!

doctornic

I am so confused? When did anyone say that “all Muslims are good therefore can’t be homophobic” in the first place? Isn’t that what Joe is saying people said? Surely no one here is vocally onboard the stabbing of anyone, are they? I’m… so confused.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

So you’re comparing the headlines of some papers (but not the text) with the complete text of an article in another (but not the headline), and finding a difference? Interesting. I suppose I could check out the complete articles, but you’ve mysteriously only linked to one.

(Aside – I’m bisexual; that bit at the end where you triumphantly exclaimed “^Aha! Homophobic violence!” made me physically nauseous, you preposterous shit tick..)

clairedammit
clairedammit

@Sharculese I knew about the w thing but not the RP thing! Okay, take two:

**************************

I have a cousin who’s an anti-choice libertarian. She lurrrves her some %racistlibertarianrepublicanpoliticianfromtexas%. If you met her you’d think she was the sweetest person (as long as you didn’t talk politics with her). But she lives in her little privilege bubble and can’t understand that other people don’t live exactly like her. She’s also super gullible and still believes that Pepsi and P&G are making “natural flavors” out of aborted babies.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@ doctornic – what happened is that he was called a stupid, misogynistic, delusional, paranoid, racist pain in the arse*, and he’s determined to prove that one of those isn’t true.

* I probably missed a few there. Any help?

Shadow
Shadow

Huh? This was a thing?

The First Joe
The First Joe

@asblacksmith – FUCK OFF YOU RACIST TOSS WANKER!

I’m not talking about “majority of stabbings” I’m talking about which group of people is going out of their way to commit hate crimes against gay people in London.

Arseholes like you are so FUCKING RACIST that I bet you’d stand and fucking watch while a gay lad was stabbed to death by a gang of racist, homophobic thugs – as long as the victim looked white and those thugs were NOT white. Hell, you RACIST idiot, you’d probably clap and cheer. YOU FUCKING DISGUST ME YOU RACIST VERMIN!

You twist around so fucking hard trying to be PC that you are throwing the victims of racist, homophobic violence under the fucking bus! YOU ARE AN EVIL FUCKWIT!

clairedammit
clairedammit

Shadow, yeah, it was a Lifenews late last year. I hate to give them a link, but http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/biotech-company-using-cell-lines-from-aborted-babies-in-food-enhancement-te/ You can just read the URL and get the idea.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

This is great. I need more popcorn.

clairedammit
clairedammit

^Lifenews thing.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Translation: Straw, straw, straw, straw……and more straw. Meltdown. Straw.
*Yawn* Bored now. I’ll see you kids later.

Shadow
Shadow

“RACIST” seems to be our new “vile” to bear. Also, “toss wanker”? Seriously dude?

scrapemind

gang of racist, homophobic thugs

Dude, the preferred phrase is “gang of youths.”

Shadow
Shadow

@clairedammit

You have provied me my lullzz for tonight! I am forever indebted to you ;D

The First Joe
The First Joe

@Sir wotsit – It sickens me as well, when innocent people who have harmed no-one get stabbed by evil, homophobic thugs. It sickens me double when people who claim to be oh so-holier-than-thou gloss right over that evil violence to DEFEND THE PERPETRATORS!

And yes, I was called pretty much every fucking name under the sun, in the last thread, ironically by some of the most RACIST people I’ve ever debated.

To every one of you RACIST FUCKS who defended these evil, homophobic bastards who stabbed Olly Hemsley SHAME ON YOU, YOU RACIST, HOMOPHOBIC FUCKWITS.

Falconer

… By constantly citing one hate crime in which a young man was attacked by a group of people, that some journalists say were Muslim and some journalists say weren’t.

Do you have, oh, I don’t know, some kind of report … say, by a governmental department or office … breaking down hate crimes by the alleged or believed group-membership of the assaulters? Because that might actually help you.

Yelling straw-man arguments at people isn’t helping you, and hasn’t ever helped you.

Falconer

You haven’t defrocked the chit! Therefore you must be in favor of unsettling the kettle! And you claim to be bluer than cabbage. Oh the hypocrisy!

scrapemind

But Joe, the gay guy was white and the youths were brown. That makes it not a racist stabbing but an anti-racist stabbing.

Falconer

@clairedammit: Oh, that LifeNews thing is ridiculous. Why not just pay taste-testers? If you’re worried about consistency of results, get a whole bunch of taste-testers and keep them on for a while so their results average out over the group and you can use them in numerous tests.

Ah, but I’m forgetting the point of the article, which is to scaremonger.

hellkell
hellkell

And yet here you are, spewing your stupid shit.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

… Why is Joe calling everyone a racist fuckwit?

What the hell is going on?

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@ Jojo – No. No. No. No. I was feeling bad about reading about the assault. Just bad. The part where I actually felt physically sickened was your obvious sense of triumph. You want you co-opt homophobic violence into your crusade to prove that, “nuh-uh you’re the racists”? Fine. Just don’t do a victory dance over a fucking stabbing victim, you piece of shit.

(This is apart from the fact that your post didn’t actually prove any of the things you said it did because, as I pointed out, you weren’t comparing apples to apples)

Anathema
Anathema

Joe is whining about how RACIST!!!!111!!!11 we all are, all the while whining about “gangs of thugs.”

(In the US, “thug” is often used as a racist dog whistle. I don’t know if this holds true in the UK. If it does, I find it hilarious that Joe feels the need to use coded language like this.)

Falconer

Keep it up. I’m sure one of these days we’ll all fall on our knees and beg your forgiveness.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Joe, stop calling people racist for not being bigots, mmkay?

Anathema
Anathema

… Why is Joe calling everyone a racist fuckwit?

What the hell is going on?

I don’t know. Joe just showed up and started yelling about how Rutee Katreya and Gametime were racist homophobes because they don’t hate all Muslims apparently.

I think his logic (for lack of a better term) is that because some Muslims are homophobes, therefore everyone who doesn’t hate all Muslims is a homophobe. (And a racist, I guess. I’m not entirely sure how that bit fits in.)

Anathema
Anathema

Name one person here, just one, that has defended the perpetrators.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Oh wait! Wait! I’ve got it!

You know how assholes are always going on about how racism, sexism, homophobia and so on are just words lefties use to shut down conversations?

What if they really believe that? What if they actually think that whichever side of an argument yells racism loudest wins? Maybe that’s why people like NWO and JoJo the Dogfaced Boy get so frustrated that people don’t instantly back down when they start yelling ‘racist’ or ‘homophobe’? They really think that’s how it works.