announcements girl germs harassment misogyny sexual harassment

I will be appearing on Al Jazeera English tomorrow afternoon. (And you can be a part of it too.)

I will be appearing on Al Jazeera English tomorrow talking about misogyny online. The show I’m going to appear on is called TheStream; it’s on at 3:30 PM ET.

You can watch a live stream of the show on the Al Jazeera website here.

If you want to be part of the discussion on the show, you can record a comment for the show’s producers here, or on the main page for TheStream. Some of the questions they’re asking:

Do women face more misogyny online than they do in person? Why? Does it reflect real sentiment or opportunistic, anonymous behavior? Have you experienced harassment as a woman online? What can be done about it?

I’m really looking forward to the show. It should be interesting.

If you have any suggestions about issues I should raise or points you think it’s important to make, let me know in the comments below.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Very cool.

Is there some way I can watch the segment online?

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

Well now you’ve done it. I can already see all the conspiracy theorists coming out the woodwork with Al Jazeera = Al Quaida = Shariah = leftists = feminists theories.

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

Not that the brain meltdowns of ignoramuses (ignoramii?) should factor in your decision-making process. 😉

Warren
Warren

Will you post the segment to your site?
Enjoy!

nwoslave

Perhaps while you’re there you might enlighten us as to the actual definition of misogyny. Remember the gold standard of feminist equality. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Damn that’s rich. If you say anyone daring to ridicule any woman or ridicule what any woman says, in the spirit of feminist equality, you must hold women to the same standard.

Since I can go to any comment on manboobz, like the one right above where I’m typing, which is…. “Not that the brain meltdowns of ignoramuses (ignoramii?) should factor in your decision-making process. Those, “ignoramuses or (ignoramii?),” are men. Is you use anything like this be sure to include women as well in their rampnat misandry online. Remember, if any criticism is a woman or women as a group is considere misogyny, any criticism of a man or men as a group is misandry. Ridiculing MRAs is a grouping of people. Everyone one of you is a misandrist. I’ll be sure to read up myself on your pathetic progress.

aworldanonymous

Slavey, go away, you’re starting to get creepy with this, and kind of sad. Your words echo hollow and are heard by nobody.

cloudiah

MU5LIMS!!! I will be in a half-day retreat with a bunch of librarians (more fun than it sounds! we’ll have delicious snax!) so can’t catch the livestream, but I think Al Jazeera usually makes a recording available too.

You’ll do great, have fun, ect. ect. 😉

Noadi
Noadi

Those, “ignoramuses or (ignoramii?),” are men.

No, those “ignoramuses or (ignoramii?)” are misogynists who may or may not be men. I know it’s hard for you to grasp Slavie but not all men are misogynists or agree with you and not all misogynists are men (I’m pretty sure the Thinking Housewife who was featured here a few days ago doesn’t identify as male and she’s certainly a misogynist).

And again, no one is saying that all criticism of a woman is misogyny that requires that you use the fact that she is a woman to dismiss her. If a woman says “the earth is flat” telling her she’s wrong because the earth is (roughly) round isn’t misogyny, telling her that she’s wrong because women can’t understand science is misogyny. See this xkcd http://xkcd.com/385/

Magpie
Magpie

@Noadi – this is NWO – we can’t assume he knows the world is round 😉

thebewilderness

Slavey saw that shoe laying there and he just had to put it on.
It fit perfectly.

C.P. Norris
C.P. Norris

I would stress that anonymity and pseudonymity should not be considered causes of misogyny online. Newspaper comment sections are full of bigoted vitriol under real names. If anything pseudonymity allows women to be safer online without being stalked or dismissed for having a female name.

ithiliana
ithiliana

I respect your work, David, but I have to ask. Will there be women experts speaking or only men?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Woa, David, congrats! You get to go on TV and be an important person!

On a slightly off topic note, I went to the website and looked at the front page news item… I’ve always said that human nature doesn’t change in time or place as a heartening thing, but this is disheartening…

A recent viral video of a mob molestation brought gender inequity to the forefront. The outrage caused by the incident was not directed entirely at the attackers; one government official suggested that women should be careful about their dress for fear of sexual violence.

Of course he did.

Oh, hai slavey. My mind started wondering off by the end of your post, and I think yours did too.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

The sad thing is, Owly actually seems to believe he’s catching us in a double bind. What a waste of a mind, smh.

Tom Martin

“A, B, Misogyny, D, E, F, Misogyny… ”

Gold star for Douchetrelle.

feministgamer
feministgamer

To echo ithiliana … yep. The first thought in my mind was “will there be any WOMEN speaking about women’s issues?” Nothing personal, though …

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

C… G? I don’t get it…

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

It’d work better if you went “A. B. C. Mih. Saw. Gen. Nee.” The sounds match up much better.

Wisteria
Wisteria

Congrats, David, I hope it goes great!

One thing I think might be important to mention is that I’ve seen many times on blogs where some people defend misogynist attacks on women by claiming it’s just trolling, so it’s not really misogyny. I think it’s important to say that if sexist slurs are being used against women as trolling, it’s still misogyny. That seems really obvious to me, but I saw quite a bit of that in some of the atheist blogs’ comments.

Sharculese

A, B, Misogyny, D, E, F, Misogyny… ”

Gold star for Douchetrelle.

when are you going to post your videos?

Tom Martin

It will be interesting to see which men’s rights activist they invite on to give the other side of the story.

Oh wait, I forgot, mainstream media is institutionally misandric in its victim-femalist conformity, so won’t bother.

Another splash in the shallow end for Douchetrelle.

TK
TK

The fact that I’d like to record a question but don’t want to risk getting tracked down, hate mailed, or just reading nasty comments about myself online, is what the kids call a case in point.

Sharculese

Another splash in the shallow end for Douchetrelle.

awww, tommy’s upset because his fifteen minutes are over

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Tom:

Pray tell us. What exactly is the “other side of the story” on the question:

And before you say it, no. The “other side” is not “I’m going to talk about a completely different topic: how much discrimination men face. To Al Jazeera.”

Is…is Tom Martin referencing the Cookie Monster alphabet?

Hang on…

Snowy
Snowy

Oh cool! Congrats David, I put a reminder in my phone.

Tom Martin

That’s Helen Lewis of the New Statesman and Guardian, who debated me on Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour, and is a defender of the “feminists can’t be sexist against men” faith.

Sounds like a very biased panel so far – as I suspected.

“Yeah, we’re going to be debating hatred against women from a man-hating perspective.”

I’d rather watch synchronized swimming.

ozymandias42

I hope you have fun, Tom! Synchronized swimming is very beautiful, and those women are such athletes.

Tom Martin

Click on this link and the BBC debate with me and Helen Lewis automatically starts up:

Dracula
Dracula

I think little Tommy is in need of some attention.

Snowy
Snowy

Yawn

Tom Martin

I think this gender debate panel is in need of some balance. Yawn.

Dracula
Dracula

‘Cause nuthin’ says balance like “98% percent of women are wh*res.” You’re a fuckin’ joke, Tom. Don’t insult us by pretending you’re a grownup.

magpie

Read the word yawn – yawned. Most suggestible Magpie ever?

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

If a guy gets a reputation for being a woman hater, it could hurt his career and social life. So it’s better for him if he does his women hating anonymously online.

Time to begging us to visit his site: 1:47

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

Good luck with the show, David, can’t wait to see it.

Snowy
Snowy

Oh, and Ruby is here. Awesome.

Dracula
Dracula

Actually katz, I think that time’s already passed.

feministgamer
feministgamer

Tom – all I hear is you getting pwned by Helen.

maselphie
maselphie

Also, I cannot get over the irony how awful it is that there’s a rights movement that advocates primarily women and not men, but it’s all right to have entire movements only for men that hate movements primarily for women.

jumbofisch
jumbofisch

Will there be a recording of it posted? I don’t think I will be around when it starts but I want to see it.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m guessing Tommy’s hit counter is down. Maybe he’s relying on money from web ads to pay off that 37K court bill.

lowquacks
lowquacks

@hard seats kid

No-one can be sexist against men. It’s not just feminists. That’s not how sexism works.

Another splash in the shallow end for Douchetrelle.

If it makes you happy, I’ll imagine a balding white guy yelling derogatory terms for sex workers and complaining about the furniture’s misandry after every segment, just for you. Good enough?

Sean Wills (@seanwillsalt)

As a first-time commenter on here, I am surprised and saddened by the poor quality of this site’s resident MRA trolls. nwoslave’s comments are only barely coherent, while Tom Martin is employing the kinds of rhetorical strategies I’d expect to see on a forum dedicated to arguing about which Harry Potter character is the hottest.

I give the Manboobz trolls a D. Could do better.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

(Imagines)

“That webcam is a $%$re! As are 97% of webcams, of course. Please visit my website for more information – have your credit card ready.)

1 2 3