antifeminism hate hypocrisy irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA reactionary bullshit reddit woman's suffrage

Men’s Rights Redditor: “(Most) women don’t love men.” (Also, it’s only respectful for dudes to hang onto nude pics of an ex-girlfriend.)

Over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, some of the fellas are discussing a recent post from Arthur Goldwag on the Southern Poverty Law Center Hatewatch blog. Goldwag looks at some of the hero-bashing comments from MRAs in the wake of the Aurora shootings, which we’ve discussed here and here.

This somehow inspires the prolix Men’s Right Redditor Demonspawn to set forth some of his opinions about (most) women and how shitty they are. The whole discussion is worth reading, as a sort of case study in MRA hypocrisy: all this woman-hatred comes in a thread in which Reddit MRAs wax indignant once again that anyone might possibly label them hateful. (Also, how dare women suggest that there’s anything untoward about a dude hanging onto nude pics of an ex, when clearly not deleting them is a sign of “respect.”)

Looks like Demonspawn won himself a convert! Congrats. you beautiful douchebag.

Steele
Steele

This is, in point of fact, why I firmly believe that men should date women who are roughly comparable in earning potential. I have gone on many dates, it’s true; I’ve also turned down and/or neglected to pursue many potential dates. There were, obviously, a plethora of reasons, but one of the most common is and was a disparity in earnings. I will not be objectified for my money – I consider this a shining example of cultural misandry and will mitigate it whenever possible. And women who work – and especially, who are as successful as me – are much less inclined to expect me to subsidize their livelihood, like I’m some sort of all-purpose servant and butler.

I encourage other men to restrict their dating pool likewise.

feministgamer
feministgamer

But if she has a job, she might be intelligent or educated! And that’s a SUPER NO-NO!

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Am I just having a bad day, or is Demonspawn a really fucking confusing writer? Also, I was sort of puzzled by how Canadian4Paul folded when I looked to the left and saw Canadian4Paul.

“Success objects” lol.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Dude, you forgot to mention Ella. You’re slacking.

whataboutthemoonz

“I will not be objectified for my money” this statement literally made me lol

“And women who work – and especially, who are as successful as me – are much less inclined to expect me to subsidize their livelihood, like I’m some sort of all-purpose servant and butler.”

Haven’t we all gone over how paying for dinner = / = subsidizing livelihood (or even food intake), and how none of this relates to your ragewanking over servant/butler?

cloudiah

Ha ha, creepy dude Steele Pole Butthorn’s blog is back! And he thinks what he does is “journalism.”

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Reason 43290875# Steele shouldn’t have been a writer: from his usage, it is no longer possible to know if “subsidize their livelihood” actually just means “pay for a dinner.” He also doesn’t seem to realize that servants and butlers are paid employees, not financial benefactors.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

You can’t talk about men or women without generalizations

Then fuck talking about men or women. Talk about people.

red_locker

“A perfectionist to the last, I’d much prefer to be upfront than have the quality of my journalism suffer. ”

Thank you, Steele, I needed a good laugh today.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

I don’t mean to be too hard on you, though, Steele. Good on you for standing up to society’s oppression of wealthy men.

whataboutthemoonz

No “excuse me”, no “vile”, no “disgusting”. He didn’t even say “misandrist-feminist”.

Amnesia
Amnesia

That whole meme that there’s separate gendered definitions of love/respect needs to die a horrible death. NOW.

Anna
Anna

As a man you often find yourself thinking back to when you were a boy and women loved and adored you. What happened. Is it the beard growth? Suddenly you’re not good enough. Strange how that works.

Heh, any Diana Wynne Jones fans here? ‘Cos the first thing I thought of when I read that was this quote from Lives of Christopher Chant:

“Christopher had no idea that people saw him like this. He was astounded. What’s gone wrong with me? he thought. I’m nice really! When he went to the Anywheres as a small boy, everyone had liked him. Everybody had smiled. Total strangers had given him things. Christopher saw that he had gone on thinking that people only had to see him to like him, and it was only too clear that nobody did.”

SuicideBanana doesn’t seem to realise that this works exactly the same for girls. When you’re a small and adorable child you can do anything you like, and people will indulge you and adore you and tell you you’re cute, and run around cleaning up after you because you’re an adorable but clueless child who doesn’t know any better yet, and you don’t have to actually be a decent person or take responsibility for anything to earn this.

I am quite worried for this guy that this is his definition of adult love.

blitzgal

Love it. He’s trying to simultaneously argue that obsession with material wealth is shallow, but obsession with physical beauty is not. What the fuck ever, duder.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Also, apparently cleanshaven dudes are as adorable as kids!

DAMMIT

valerienorth
valerienorth

Steele is so funny. Men own/control 98% of the land on the planet and he thinks misandry is a thing. If that’s losing, I want to be a loser too!

hellkell
hellkell

Tulgey, its not just you. I read Demonspawn’s initial kickoff several times, and it’s still not perfectly clear.

FIGHT THE POWER, STEELE!!! Or shut the fuck up, your choice.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Man: “If I ‘respected’ her, I’d consider her capable of considering the potential of us breaking up when she allowed those pictures. I’m keeping them because I’m holding her accountable for her decision.” [- No man, ever.] Male respect as accountability and competency.

I do enjoy how his example of male respect puts “respect” in scare quotes, making it clear that the speaker does not respect his ex and likely did not when he was with her. The misogyny froth is so great, he can’t even make his own misogynistic point without tripping himself up.

CLEAR UNBIASED CRITICAL THINKING

Shiraz
Shiraz

OK, so they want to be loved like children? The shitty writing was throwing me off. And the “success object” thing…errr, are these guys all millionaire CEOs?

Viscaria
Viscaria

She should have realized that I’m the kind of asshole who would cease giving any consideration to her feelings the moment I wasn’t being rewarded with sex. Is it my fault she failed to notice I’m a total doucheface?!??

aworldanonymous

I would try to frenchcountertroll here, but I feel I’m wearing it out already.

Falconer
Falconer

I love how, if there are nude pics from sexytiems, not deleting them is “holding her accountable for her actions.”

Those actions you are “holding her accountable” for? Those actions are not “letting you snap her nekkers.” Those actions are “breaking up with you.”

And they are to be punished by releasing said dirty snaps to the Intarwebz.

She shouldn’t have broken up with you, huh? You’ll show her that actions have consequences!

You utter slimeball. If I found you stuck to the bottom of my shoe, I’d have to throw away the kitchen knife I used to scrape you into the trash. I might have to throw away the shoe, too, but then I’d look daft.

Falconer
Falconer

errr, are these guys all millionaire CEOs?

No, some of them are millionaire CEO yuppie grad student entrepreneurs.

With a hot girlfriend. Sorry, semi-attractive.

And a flying car.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

And a professional journalistic website.. I mean, blog. A half-arsed blog.

aworldanonymous

No, some of them are millionaire CEO yuppie grad student entrepreneurs.

With a hot fillyfriend. Sorry, semi-attractive.

And a flying car.

And a yacht, don’t forget the yacht.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Actually, scratch that, i’m not convinced he uses even half his arse.

aworldanonymous

Does Paul Elam have kitties?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’ve heard David Futrelle is single-handedly responsible for global warming!

hellkell
hellkell

I’ve heard that David Futrelle causes tooth decay.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

I’m pretty sure David Futrelle stole my milk.

cloudiah

David Futrelle was Harry Reid’s anonymous source.

hellkell
hellkell

David Futrelle was Deep Throat.

Dracula
Dracula

David Futrelle is secretly just David Futrelle in a David Futrelle costume.

Anathema
Anathema

This is, in point of fact, why I firmly believe that men should date women who are roughly comparable in earning potential make approximately the same amount of money as them. I have gone on many dates, it’s true; I’ve also turned down and neglected to pursue many potential dates.There were, obviously, a plethora of reasons, but one the most common is and wasbecause of a disparity in our earnings. will not be objectified for my money – I consider this a shining example of cultural misandry and will mitigate it whenever possible I fight against it whenever I can. And women who work– and especially, who are as successful as me –, especially those who are as successful as me, are much less inclined to expect me to subsidize their livelihood, like I’m some sort of all-purpose servant and butler. likely to expect me to pay the bill on my own when we go out on a date.

I encourage other men to restrict their dating pool likewise.

Steele, I know you want to be a writer. So I’ve tried to edit the first comment you made on this particular blog post in order to make it more readable. I’m sure that even my edited version can still be improved, but I think it’s still better than what you wrote. You have the unfortunate tendency to use big words when smaller ones will do and include irrelevant information that distracts from whatever point you are trying to make. I’ve tried to cut down on that.

For your sake (and the sake of everyone who has to read your comments) I hope you learn from this.

cloudiah

David Futrelle added 163,000 jobs in July.

aworldanonymous

David Futrelle is actually Jimmy Hoffa.

gelar
gelar

David Futrelle wished my favourite mug into a cornfield.

Dracula
Dracula

Not a lot of people know this, but midway through the first season Paul Elam was replaced by David Futrelle. Viewership skyrocketed.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

If David Futrelle, then who was phone?

cloudiah

David Futrelle is Paul Elam, Andrea Dworkin, Michael Phelps, and the entire cast of The Brady Bunch.

amandajane5
amandajane5

David Futrelle sunk my battleship!

Dracula
Dracula

Pay no attention to the David Futrelle behind the curtain!

Arielle Shander

Not sure if intentional satire…or unintentional stupidity.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

Like Falconer said, the picture bit is the creepiest–probably because while the author knows he has to justify why women and men have different definition of “love”, the idea that he’s holding his ex “accountable” for her “actions” by keeping nude pictures is so obvious it can be used as an example.

fembot

I’m so sick of hearing about hypergamy. There is a big difference between wanting to find a rich man to support you, and wanting to find a man with his shit together who has a bank account and a decent credit score. Sheesh. And these guys are aware that sometimes men end relationships, right? Why is it always women doing the dumping in these scenarios?

aworldanonymous

David Futrelle is actually a woman, who is actually a horse, who is actually a broomstick, who is actually a series of ducks in a broomstick costume.

Kyso K.

When you hear a grown-ass man complain because women don’t love him the same way they love small children, you know you’re dealing with a healthy dude. “She did not treat me with the same unconditional love and constant adoration that she gives to children, so Imma gonna hoard these nude pictures of her, and probably let her know that i could upload them to the internet at any time.”

Anna found the creepy and Falconer found the evil.

Shaenon

They always fall back on it when using the same definition would show how goofy their argument is. Like, can you imagine this guy reacting well if he discovered his girlfriend had a collection of sexy nude photos of men she dated? I’m sure he would nod sagely and say, “Yes, honey, of course you need to punish your old boyfriends by staring longingly at naked pictures of them. I respect the hell out of that.”

I do like how hilariously specific this particular example is. Sorry your girlfriend got mad about your fap collection, dude.

Shaenon

Liz Lemon: You’re so insecure you get jealous of babies for their soft skin.
Jenna: AND because of how much attention they get.

1 2 3