antifeminism kitties manginas men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA neckbeard rights oppressed men penises reddit vaginas

The Men”s Rights subreddit weighs in on the “Why is Reddit So Anti-Woman?” debate.

Over on AskReddit, someone called 478nist has asked a question that has been puzzling a lot of us for some time: “Why is Reddit so anti-women? (outside of r/gonewild anyway).”

I used to think it was just because the large majority of users are men, but it’s not pro-men it’s becoming more and more anti-women.

Outside of the friendzoned crap, any comment that leans towards any kind of talk of womens issues, equal rights etc gets downvoted to hell so it’s not even capable of being discussed. It seems like it’s an US vs THEM mentality more and more. Was it always like this?

The thread that followed is nearly 2000 comments long, so far, and has gotten written up on TheAtlanticWire. The discussion is surprisingly … good? Not perfect — after all, this is Reddit we’re talking about here — but not terrible.

So naturally our friends in the Men’s Rights subreddit are complaining about it.

The legendary AnthonyZarat offers this thought:

MauraLoona, meanwhile, challenges the premise of 478nist’s question, and thereby challenges reality itself:

Legitimateusername also has a problem with Reddit’s alleged surplus of manginas.

Fuckrpolitics_again just goes with some plain old-fashioned misogyny:

The Men’s Rights subreddit, such a reliable generator of self-righteous poop.

Dracula
Dracula

Heh heh, “nuance”. You’re adorable, Steeledude.

Myoo
Myoo

@cloudiah
It’s a Homestuck reference, but you’re welcome anyway 🙂

Cliff Pervocracy

Calling a woman by a racial slur: edgy nuance!
Calling Steele “white dude”: SRS BUSINESS.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Argenti: Might have been on the forum rather than the blog, he’s been poking around there after all.

Rutee Katreya

‘racial slur’? That’d be honky, which is totes mcgotes just as bad as the n-word or spic. Oh hey he’s actually using spic, nice. And yeah, I plan to keep using it for effect, seeing as it’s basically the worst thing a white person can suffer for their status. Been pulled over for existing lately, Steele? XD

And as studies have shown, the homeless are disproportionately men; “the poor” depends on how you define it.

Well no, the single homeless are disproportionately men. I’m using “beneath the poverty line”. Also, I guess that makes you the misandrist, seeing as you hate the poor who you think are all men 😀 😀 😀

Rutee Katreya

That’s ‘single homeless’ as opposed to ‘homeless with families’, which makes it ridiculously hard to tell because they aren’t really measured much at all. You can’t actually make pronouncements on the homeless as an aggregate because of it.

Because if you have the mentality that one group of people is worse than another group, then you probably think that about lots of groups.

Steele
Steele

I have absolutely no ill feelings toward the poor, Rutee.

I also believe that it’s likely I have been pulled over for existing; this is an example of subtle misandry.

I perhaps should have placed the earlier satirical post into context more skillfully; nonetheless, I’m a big believer that one gets what one gives.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Shade — I think I’d blocked that he’s stalking the forums >.<

Re: studying the homeless — that was actually the example used in my research methods course for when “snowballing” is appropriate. Normally you want to use random sampling, which means “tell your friends” is right out, but trying to sample people with little to no contact with formal systems (and who rarely have phones), makes “tell your friends” // “snowballing” an appropriate way to study homeless populations. Point here is that trying to study the homeless is hard enough to get special mention when discussing good research design. (And even “tell your friends” has issues because of self-selection, and self-selecting not to participate and thus understampling sub-populations who don’t choose to participate)

The above is today’s random research method lesson 🙂

Yup, he’s racist.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

*hed isplodes* Did Steele just claim he’s been pulled over for “driving while male”?!

We need an anti-oppressive baby animal I think.

Well, I’ve been pulled over for driving while female, so there!

Also for rolling a stop.

Rutee Katreya

I have absolutely no ill feelings toward the poor, Rutee.

Dude, you tried to mock people here for your perception that they are unemployed. Pull the other one, it plays Let Us Cling Together.

Hmhmhmhm.
You haven’t, dude. You’re a honky dude who is allegedly middle class. Stop playing “Me Too!”, it just makes you even more pathetic XD

‘satire’ doesn’t mean what you think it means, and good satire doesn’t punch down, as you did. Brown people are discriminated against on class, white people are not.

If one ‘gets what one gives’, it’s going to be interesting to see what happens when you get trolled by someone who knows even less than you do (no mean feat on its own) XD

Dracula
Dracula

I have absolutely no ill feelings toward the poor, Rutee.

Right, that’s why you called unemployed people “losers”. Now, you could apologize instead of backpedaling, but that would require you to actually give a shit.

Sharculese

I’m sorry, excuse me? I would hope that the Boobzers read my previous post with the nuance it deserves; it is a somewhat “edgy” attempt at satire of the attitudes at Boobzland.

i cant decide what’s funnier about this post- claiming to be edgy juxtaposed with your usual pretentious, try-hard diction

or the fact that youre such a dork you put edgy in scare quotes

Dracula
Dracula

And not to put too fine a point on it, but I am in fact an unemployed man. So thanks for lookin’ out for me, you brave, virtuous activist you.

Sharculese

yeah, but that would have required skill, so it wasnt exactly an option

Anathema
Anathema

Steele, let me tell you, as one white person to another, “honky” really isn’t all that offensive.

Then again, I’m talking to someone who thinks that the word “dude” is offensive, so maybe the word “offensive” means something completely different in Steele’s world.

whataboutthemoonz

Steele, Cliff said that it can be normal that the richest person pays more things to the other. You said the same fucking thing. You have literally zero reason to be mad.

but but but MISANDRY!!!!!

iirc ‘power lunch’ is like old-timey corporate speech for a working lunch with a bunch of important people, so… the idea of mikey posting during his ‘power lunch’ not only makes no sense, it once again shows his total inability to talk like someone his own age.

That’s what I was thinking. Trolling manboobz on his power lunch made 0 sense to me.

Also: Why do our trolls always turn out to be racist, classist, and usually transphobic and homophobic too? Why can’t we ever have one that just hates women?

Because women are also black and poor and trans and gay sometimes?

Well your post has no nuance so there’s nothing to read into there; things that reinforce a harmful status quo are not edgy; satires only work if you DON’T hold the beliefs which the satire purports to uphold; and you have demonstrated repeatedly that you don’t understand any of the attitudes at Boobzland.

So.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

…wow…that’s a new way to break blockquotes, I’m impressed…

Here, have some Enchant for your troubles —

whataboutthemoonz

Aw, I broke the blockquotes 🙁

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

If Mikey is posting on Manboobz during his power lunch (LOL), then he should be fired for wasting the time of everyone who he’s power lunching with.

Mikey, satire is a rather advanced art. Learn to walk before you try the 100 meter hurdles.

whataboutthemoonz

TL;DR: Steele is an idiot.

Sharculese

mikey also believes in creep shaming, so assume he’s looking for reasons to be upset about language to fit his me-too agenda.

cloudiah

Steelepole is a creepy honky dude.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Excuse me? “Is” is misandry. Why do you think you have a right to say that Mikey is anything just because you’re a woman? Even if it’s something he’s told you that he is?

Vile. bigots, etc.

How long will it be until he insists that we say “h*nky?”

/madethatexactsamejokelasttime

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Excuse me, but TIL: Steele thinks his posts deserve to be read with nuance.

PS whataboutthemoonz—that broken blockquote pyramid is a work of art.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Why can’t we ever have one that just hates women?

You’ve got one right here, buddy. :-p

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

I don’t find the word “honkey” to be offensive. It’s actually a pretty funny word.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Where I grew up, a ‘honkey’ was someone from Hong Kong. I was never quite sure if it was meant to be derogatory.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

XD Seriously?

Monsieur sans Nom just said, in so many words, that he hates women. Between that, and whataboutthemoonz truly impressive blockquote failure, this thread has turned into pure comedy gold.

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Somebody ITT can’t take a joke.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Dude, Argenti called what you said ‘comedy gold’. I don’t think the ‘can’t take a joke’ defense is going to cut it.

cloudiah

He’s mad ‘cos we’re laughing AT him, not WITH him.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Om nom, honey, in your case the reason no one laughs at your jokes is that you’re just not very funny. Maybe aim for something easier than humor.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“this is hilarious!”
“you can’t take a joke”

*dies laughing, again* Idk guys, he’s pretty funny, just not in the sense he’s trying for.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Aww, I missed all the blockquote breaking fun. 🙁

Sorka
Sorka

Power lunch!

WTF, I thought that was just something in the movies.

POWER LUNCH!???

Yes, me too. Isn’t that what the women in SATC did all the time?

whataboutthemoonz

So it turns out of you forget to /backslash all your blockquotes…..

pecunium

Indifferentsky: Condolence. I had a friend die in April and it hurts. I dread the thought of any more of my parents dying (so far it’s two step-parents; so I have three more parents left alive). There’s not much I can say, other than to offer a shoulder. It will get easier, and there will be moments when it all comes back in a rush.

pecunium

Argenti: pecunium — ah, a speed demon and imp of “I know what I was writing” — that explains everything! (glad you got the joke, I seem to have just been a wealth of bad jokes last night >.<)

That imp, more than anything else, is why I was glad the papers I worked on had real copyeditors. Tight deadline stories were the bane of my writing.

But, a copy editor is your friend. A good one is worth a lot more than they ever get paid (because they need to know so much, and be able to spot types of mistakes, so they know to check certain types of things, because they are prone to simple errors… large numbers, esp. extrapolated functions [e.g. how far did “x” person “travel” in 67 orbits round the Earth?, etc.] and they have to do it under a lot of time pressure).

pecunium

Howard: Mr. Bann1ster, given your recent explicit and vile denial of misandry, I will no longer be speaking to you.

You can join me over here. It’s sort of fun, sort of frustrating. You get to poke him (and with a bit of inference you know where it will piss him off), and he just takes it.

If it keeps up, he’s going to have to start talking to himself (in public) or just engage in it at performance art.

Admittedly, the last time he tried that (at AMBZ), it was a dismal failure; comic fun for us, but apparently he didn’t enjoy it so much. Performance art is hard, and when the discerning public just points and laughs, well it takes dedication; like writing one has to persevere through the rejections, and the failures. It helps to have feedback, and listen to the constructive critiques of others.

But you, like I, are just too vile to pay attention to. It’s sad; because I’ve tried to help, but his lexicon is still stunted and miserable, his abjurations formulaic and stilted; the sweet flow of invective which a Meller can manage, or the ecstatic stultifications of a JtO; to say nothing of the toccatic imprecations of anger and rage that an Eivind Berg manages… those are artists.

Even a Peter Andrew-Nolan© has some ability to mix it up. But Varpole is more akin to a bubble-gum pop band; one hit and done.

pecunium

Varpole: Popping in during my power lunch to note that individual behavior between partners is none of my concern. It is the widespread misandrous pressure men feel to subsidize their dates that I have a problem with.

uh-hunh.

That’s why you went foaming at the mouth about how Cliff ought to be paying because of the mythical reverse gender gap in pay.

It’s why you singled Cliff out as vile (though you do that enough that I am perhaps overstating the amount of singling out involved).

Go back to your “power lunch”* and have some more to drink.

*which typically involves a restaurant, and lots of chatter about non-business related stuff, while enjoying drinks: over a period of time that peons aren’t afforded, and then ambling back to something which is called an office, but is more like a retreat.

It’s what the not-quite real players do, to show how much power they have (even though much of it is illusory) so that when one of them becomes a player they will remember the others, and lift them up.

It’s not the sort of thing one ducks out of, and if one does, it’s to hit on the waitstaff, not beruke some bloggers who called you a poopyhead.

indifferentsky

Thanks pec. I really do appreciate that.

howardbann1ster
howardbann1ster

@Pecunium: yeah, we’ll form the front row of the kibbutzing section over here. There will be light refreshments. Of whatever sort you bring yourself. (I’ve tried e-mailing baked goods–not so good)

pecunium

Varpole: I have absolutely no ill feelings toward the poor, Rutee.

That’s why you tried to put me in my place by saying (contra evidence), “what you aren’t is employed”.

Try harder. You need to remember that we are able to read. We have practice at this. This isn’t our first time to the dance, and you aren’t the only person to try to take us round the floor.

pecunium

I’ve been pulled over for looking poor. I had a pinto wagon; about 15 years old. It wasn’t the part of town that sort of car was usually found in.

I was asked some questions, and let go my merry way.

Actually, I’ve been let go more than I’ve been cited; because I am white, male and well spoken. I blame the misandry.

nwoslave

@pecunium “which typically involves a restaurant, and lots of chatter about non-business related stuff, while enjoying drinks: over a period of time that peons aren’t afforded, and then ambling back to something which is called an office, but is more like a retreat.”

pecunium

NWO: Since women don’t do any of the manual labor involved in running any business, all women work in a retreat since the majority of office workers are women.

Wrong again, as per norm.

It’s nice to know there are some things in this world one can rely on.

1 11 12 13