a voice for men antifeminism evil women hypocrisy johntheother lying liars misogyny MRA

A Voice for Men has 99 problems, and the word “bitch” is one.

Here’s JohnTheOther on A Voice for Men, complaining that Australian journalist Tory Shepard has unfairly accused “men’s rights extremists” associated with AVFM of using the term “lying bitches.”

“[L]ying bitches” might have [been] pulled from from a reader’s comment on one of more than 1200 articles on AVfM. But that phrase forms no part of this human rights movement’s standard rhetoric, which if Shepherd were a journalist, she would know.

Huh. Yeah, it’s probably just some sort of incredible fluke. Just one reader’s comment on one of more than 1200 articles!

Oops, I guess it was used more than once.

But it’s not like this sort of language is encouraged by JtO or his boss Paul Elam.

No, not at all!

To be fair, they don’t always refer to women as bitches. Sometimes they refer to women by the much more genteel “cunt.”

Like the time Elam described the CEO of the Good Men Project as “a disingenuous cunt that makes her living off trying to turn men into lap dogs.” And the time he referred to comedic actress Katherine Heigl as a “misandric cunt.” Oh, and that time he referred to a commenter on his site as “Ms. Cuntforbrains, or if you are male, Mr. Cuntforbrains.” And the time he referred to the feminist blogosphere as the “cunt-o-sphere.” Very witty!

I know, it’s unfair to cherry-pick comments from the guy who actually started and runs A Voice for Men. Clearly he isn’t representative of the site at all.

(Note: Yes, I did say yesterday that I wasn’t going to read that JtO post on general principle. And yes, I did read a little bit more of it. But I have not read the whole thing, and I never will!)

cloudiah

I have discovered the solution to the problem of viewing those violent images on AVfM. If you run it through meowbify.com first, all of the images are replaced by cat .gifs. Give it a try by going clicky clicky here.

I love this!

Argenti Aertheri

Oh he’s got 3+ comments directed at me…can’t you manage to put your thoughts into one comment NWO? Give me a moment to get to the rest of them.

Karalora
Karalora

NWO, the upraised fist is a general sign of protest. It is not specifically associated with communism. Also, where you have “sigul” I think you meant “sigil,” although that could easily be a typo.

Got any other questions about symbols and symbolism? I’m here to help!

red_locker

Oh my god, thanks SO MUCH for that discovery, cloudiah.

The internet is going to be a LOT more fun now.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Catgifsplosion! I feel sorry for people with slow computers. 😛

Argenti Aertheri

“Try harder, sites rating people are just tacky, not violent (no argument from me that that’s eye-bleedingly bad web design, but it isn’t violent).”

Or is it slander?

Scroll up, pecunium already explained libel laws, slander laws are the same thing (in this case, I can 100% say it is not slander, as slander is spoken, while libel is written, and this is in print, thus cannot be slander). As for libel, nope, that requires, in the US anyways, that it be knowingly and patently false — believing the claim to be true is usually a valid defense — the US has incredibly weak slander/libel laws, and idk common law ones to comment.

Nor do I know (or particularly care) the feministing icon, but I cannot see how flipping someone off is nearly as violent as a bloody knife — you’d need a gun or noose or something to compare with that. A watching eye is now a violent image? Maybe you should go debate with the makers of neighborhood watch signs?

And that fight? It’s a symbol of solidarity, not violence, not that I really expect you to see anything communist as anything besides violent. (FYI, who’s = who is; whose = possessive)

cloudiah

Isn’t it? I am never again reading AVfM without meowbify.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

(Also me, a bit, apparently he’s still sulking about that comment about the word “creep” a few weeks ago.)

Nanasha
Nanasha

I have basically given up on nwo. Not only is he a flailing idiot who abuses the English language, but he also seems to think he is an expert at gaslighting, regardless of the fact that *anyone* can control + F can go back and check what he actually has said. I am not sure at this point if he truly believes his own drivel of if he actually thinks that by being unintelligible and offensive, that he is actually “winning”.

Argenti Aertheri

“It’s interesting that Slavey has now decided to focus his ire on Argenti, who’s really not what I’d call a radfem. Why the obsession, Slavey?”

Yeah I’m not a cis woman, they wouldn’t have me even if I wanted to join them…

nwoslave

@Argenti Aertheri
The site’s very motto is guilty, innocense can’t be proven. There is no rebuttal. So instead I’ll ask. Do you consider it a hate site?

Fembot

Here is a conversation between JtO and TheFemtheistDivine (still meowbified).

Um, isn’t TheFemtheistDivine a troll/poe who continually pwns the MRM?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Actually that may be why he’s decided to pick on you specifically. His last target was ozy, I’m sensing a pattern here.

nwoslave

@Argenti Aertheri
“Nor do I know (or particularly care) the feministing icon, but I cannot see how flipping someone off is nearly as violent as a bloody knife — you’d need a gun or noose or something to compare with that.”

Feministe is a little girl with a gun. ???

Ire? Have I shown you any ire?

“Yeah I’m not a cis woman, they wouldn’t have me even if I wanted to join them…”

Fancy term, cis woman. Have you uncissed recently?

Argenti Aertheri

Cassandra — maybe if I ignore him he’ll go away? Or at least pick someone else? I mean, he’s taken to repeating himself now, like I didn’t already play Spot That Fallacy!! on his most recent question… But yeah, my taking his attempts to gender me as “whatever dude, I really don’t care” probably does irk him.

nwoslave

@Fembot
“Um, isn’t TheFemtheistDivine a troll/poe who continually pwns the MRM?”

Who dictates who gets pwned? Someone who goes by the handle fembot?

Argenti Aertheri

Indirect response to his question — how is listing people who cheat (or are accused of cheating) a hate site? Does he just not understand the concept of hate speech? That’s probably it huh?

They certainly hate good web design though, that one I have absolutely no argument against.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Fembot

Who dictates who gets pwned? Someone who goes by the handle fembot?

I am simply repeating something I heard on reddit. But I would say that, as a person with a firm grasp of reality who does NOT live in a hellish conspiratorial fantasy world, I am certainly more qualified to dictate pwnage than certain others.

@NWO

Those with glass handles should not throw stones 😉

pecunium

Argenti: Scroll up, pecunium already explained libel laws, slander laws are the same thing

They are similar,but slander is harder to prove. Speech has not the permanence of printed matter, and the ability of it to manifest outside the circle of those who heard it is less.

Moreover the nature of the defamation is, usually, held to be of a lesser nature.

So slander is a much less bothersome thing to be sued for.

pecunium

Had NWO vented his ire at Argenti?

Well… does he thinks Argenti is a woman? Then yes.

If Argenti isn’t cisgendered, than yes.

If Argenti thinks feminism is a good thing, then yes.

In short, yes.

Argenti Aertheri

“I’m not sure at all the Slavey understand what hate speech is, he seems to think that it’s saying anything negative about anyone. Like if I was to say “my last boss was an asshole”, that would be hate speech.”

That would appear to be a correct reading of his usage of the term, yes.

NWO — have you shown me any ire?! I can’t make a single damned comment without you bringing up irrelevant things, previous discussions, or, most recently, attacks on wtf you assume my gender to be.

As for the feministe icon, I’m just going to paraphrase on friend here — she can’t use that without falling over, that’s hilarious.

And cis is Greek, not Latin, so I can’t give too detailed a linguistic answer, but it means same. As in “your biology and gender are the same” — you are, I assume, a cis man. Your inability to understand trans* is a related problem, as trans is also Greek, and means across — which can imply either “crossing” genders (female to male or male to female) or “being across” genders, eg genderqueer, or genderfluid.

…why am I attempting to explain this to Mr. “twig and berries”? (I really should’ve bookmarked that comment)

Argenti Aertheri

pecunium — I’m taking that question less as an honest question and more as baiting me not to ignore him, because there’s no fucking way he’d consider any answer besides mine valid (not that he actually gives a shit about anything I say).

uncissed might be the worst thing I’ve heard today, but Ruby’s comment there is real competition, and it’s my damned birthday, I don’t want to figure out which is worse.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh and you’re right about slander, but he meant libel in context.

Happy Birthday, Argenti Aertheri 😀

Are you having cake?

Argenti Aertheri

Fembot — seeing how that’d require me to make a cake, no cake…I am pondering breaking into the vodka soon though. And thank you! 🙂

Actually, double thank you, I don’t seem to have much to mix my vodka with, I should run out while cvs is still open. I’m thinking mango juice and vodka, since OJ will just piss off my stomach. Drinks anyone?

Fembot

Mango juice and vodka is yummy.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Happy birthday! Fresh juice of the Odwalla/similar kind is usually good with vodka.

Argenti Aertheri

Ok Cassandra actually is as psychic as her namesake, I’ve just mixed myself up some Odwalla mango juice and vodka…nicely done there. And thank you 🙂

cloudiah

Happy birthday, Argenti!

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

Happy birthday!

red_locker

Happy Birthday!

Party hard.

lowquacks
lowquacks

Happy (possibly late) birthday from me too!

Argenti Aertheri

Meep, I didn’t mean to derail the thread with my birthday, but thank you all!

pecunium

No apologies needed. Happy times are better than NWO rants. I will pass on Mango, it is the sweat of demons, distilled and fermented, I abhor it.

I shall have some pleasant bevande which pleaseth me, in your honor.

Argenti Aertheri

“I will pass on Mango, it is the sweat of demons, distilled and fermented, I abhor it.”

Seeing how that’s basically how I feel about avocado, enjoy the bevande. To bad my best friend is in CT still or I’d have some Russian toasts, but I’m sure you know some yourself. (It isn’t mango vodka though, it’s mango juice and Gordon’s vodka, which was interesting to mix, the vodka hung in suspension for a bit, I wasn’t expecting that!)

Dracula
Dracula

Happy Birthday! *much rejoicing*

pecunium

Other people may, reasonably disagree (gustabus non disputandem, and all that), but only insofar as they don’t serve it to me; nor expect me to let them ripen in my home.

🙂

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

What pecunium said, but with brussel sprouts.

Fembot

I love mango and brussel sprouts 🙁

BigMomma
BigMomma

Happy Birthday, Argenti, i raise my cup of tea to your vodka glass *chink*

(sadly,i am sworn off alcohol this month as part of “dry july” fundraiser for cancer survivors)

Ithiliana

@Argenti:

——|_|_|_|——–
—–|********|——
—-|**********|—–
—| HAPPY |—-
–| BIRTHDAY|—

Argenti Aertheri

“I abjure and renounce Mango: its acts, teachings, and works, in all it’s forms and manifestions. It anathema, a blight on the face of the earth. I declare it to be an abomination in the sight God and all right thinking people.”

Yeah well, we’ve already established that I’m nuts…and I can deal with dropping the de of de gustibus non est disputandem, but disputandem isn’t a proper verb without the est (then again, I guess dropping the to be verb would be the Pittsburghese of Latin?)

Cassandra — seconding the ick, brussel spouts. (Sorry fembot!)

And again, thank you everyone! 🙂

Argenti Aertheri

BigMomma — that’s ok, it’s always time for tea (and now it’s time for my random EA song of the day!…this one is live, and probably NSFW, unless women in corsets and underwear is SF-where-you-W)

Ithiliana — ASCII cake, D’AWW!

lowquacks
lowquacks

Mango… distilled and fermented

Would that be possible? Is there any particular reason spirits (as opposed to liquers or infusions) featuring larger/”fruitier” fruits aren’t really A Thing? I can only think of apple/pear/plum brandies, which aren’t very popular, and triple sec, which is from orange peels rather than the fruit itself, but that’s about it. It could have something to do with fruit being more expensive than grains/cacti/tubers as used for most of the popular spirits, but brandy’s still A Thing.

Any distillation/spirits-savvy people here?

pecunium

Argenti: I defer to you, and blame my abilty to decipher it, rather than speak it; and futher the way “to be” isn’t used in Russian.

That’s it… it’s the Russians’ fault.

pecunium

lowwuacks: Properly, the ferment is then distilled.

As to why “heavier fruits” aren’t so much fermented… the other sugars, esters, and compounds tend to get really foul.

That said, if it can be fermented, someone has done it (Orange wine.. bad. Grapefruit wine, worse).

Cherries, peaches, apricots, have all been used as ways of getting a ferment to distill, but it’s trickier, and many of the things which are, “brandy” are actually infusions.

Probably the most “interesting” of those that I am aware of is Cynar, which is distilled from fermented artichokes. It looks like Nyquil (that second letter is the same; coincidence… one has to wonder: I think not!), and it’s the only distilled beverage I have flat out refused to essay, the assay of my nose prevents me.