$MONEY$ announcements self-promotion

About those ads …

If only all ads were as awesome as this one.

So, yeah, I’ve added ads to the site, at least on a trial basis. I’ve avoided them in the past to avoid cluttering up the site, and because ads don’t pay all that much, but times are a bit lean here at Man Boobz manor, and with the traffic this site now gets – we recently passed 4.5 million views – ads won’t make me rich but will definitely help. Hopefully they won’t be too obtrusive.

A couple of requests:

I don’t get paid unless people actually see the ads, so if you’re using ad-blocking software, please consider disabling it for manboobz.com. (If you’d rather not, maybe consider a donation? Donations are always welcome here.)

And if you want to help me make a few bucks more, and spread the word about the site in general, don’t hesitate to use the little “share” buttons below each post. Share on Twitter, on Facebook, on Reddit, or anywhere else you can think of. Some of you already do this, and I appreciate it a great deal.

One other thing: WordPress handles the ads; I don’t have any say in the specifics of what gets put here. Let me know if you see any weird or inappropriate ones.

So let the great ad experiment begin.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Can do! Donation > annoying ads. 😛

clairedammit
clairedammit

Adblock Plus has been disabled.

themisanthropicmuse
themisanthropicmuse

I don’t want to sound like a know-it-all but having worked with websites and internet marketing I have to just respectfully say that in the ad game impressions themselves are pretty worthless. It’s unique impressions (ie. new visitors) that are all important. Considering that most people have ad blockers these days has made these sorts of static ads pretty ineffectual and obsolete but I still wish you all the best and hope this all works out for you.

Personally, with this blog I’d try and strike a deal to do paid reviews or something of the like but that’s just me.

Oh, and it’s funny. When I was looking on Alexa I uncovered something interesting. I find it rather interesting that the biggest difference in visitor stats (besides the male to female ratio) between manboobz and AVFM are in education. Manboobz most common demographic consists of folks with graduate degrees while AVFM’s highest demographic consists of those with high school educations.

red_locker

Well, right now, I just see an ad for Paypal…wait, now it’s Volusion.

Welp, nothing wrong so far. Will be sure to alert.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Oh, and I just sent you a couple of $.

Joven
Joven

So basically, ads for scented candles, wooden chairs, divorce attorneys, that guy with the question mark jacket who says how to get the government to pay for everything, and cat food?

Might put an exclusion in adblock plus, if anything to see if you can compete with FreeThoughtBlogs for the most weirdly inappropriate ads.

ozymandias42

I can’t find the ads! Where are the ads? o.O

Anna
Anna

I’ll see about making a donation when I get paid, probably won’t be much but I’ll see what I can do 🙂

Still, I think there’s a graduate of every subject under the sun posting here, which is what makes the comments such an interesting read.

Cliff Pervocracy

Personally I don’t mind the ads, and I hope they bring in the $$$.

I’m broke now but when I have cash I’ll make a donation.

themisanthropicmuse
themisanthropicmuse

@Cliff Pervocracy: “I dunno. I’ve done a couple paid reviews and they’re a pain. The companies can’t demand a good review, but when they’re giving you money and the product they send you is just godawful… it’s a sticky situation. Plus I feel like I’m kinda betraying readers by writing about something they probably have zero interest in.”

Yeah, I agree that you definitely don’t want to go the route of doing random reviews for things completely unrelated to your website. I was thinking more along the lines of negotiating deals outside an affiliate site to get feminist related e-books or even websites reviews for a price in order to generate them traffic and hey, decent backlinks never hurt someone’s Google page rank. I agree that might be far too much hassle for some. Was just an idea that I wished to throw out there.

themisanthropicmuse
themisanthropicmuse

@Anna: “Okay, I’m probably being oversensitive here but this seemed a bit snobbish to me. I don’t have a degree, lots of people I know don’t have degrees, and I don’t think that it has any correlation with misogyny or MRA membership.”

You are reading far too much into this than what is written. I’d have to be self-loathing to do so since I never attended college (even though I had a grant to cover the costs of everything, even my books. Such is life, I guess.)

I merely found it interesting that the other averages were all similar except for that considering that there is a correlation between education and the development of critical thinking skills.

Anna
Anna

Yeah, you’re right. I’m sorry

I just jumped down your throat because I’ve been dealing with this kind of snobbery quite a lot in anti-BNP groups I’ve been involved with, and it’s not the way you meant it

RubyHypatia
RubyHypatia

The Lego girl is adorable! How about some cute kitty ads?

themisanthropicmuse
themisanthropicmuse

@Anna:
Not a problem. Lots of quasi-intellectuals certainly do like to conflate education with intelligence. It irks me to death too.

Sharculese

yeah i can see that ads

Myoo
Myoo

I can see the ads as well. I’m using Firefox, for the record.

indifferentsky

unblocked for this site, and I just clicked into something and signed up for something interesting, but won’t go into too much detail, or my comment will get caught in the spam filer, heh. But the first ad I got was an interesting newsletter offer about the stockmarket in India.
They have a super strict privacy policy with my email, according to thems.
Point being, I found the first ad that came up for me kinda interesting.

Molly McGee
Molly McGee

Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ads were originally about getting background checks. Clicked through and read some comments from Steele and Eurosabra in another thread, come back to the main page and it has an ad about getting a criminal justice degree online….click on a link and read some comments from Tom Martin, add on the front page is now for a home security system.

What sorcery is this? How does it knooooooooowwww!!!!!!

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I have firefox and I see the ads. I clicked to watch a commercial for Major League baseball. I refreshed and then went to volusion.com. If clicking ads helps you get paid, I’ll click them every time I visit. I’m sorry I don’t have money to donate at this time, but hopefully I can give soon.

Also, if you get more page views, does that help you make money or does that cost you money?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Hmm… I see no ads. Then again, I’m also using a very strange browser. (Look up Uzbl if you’re curious)

skokieboki@yahoo.com
skokieboki@yahoo.com

Yes, I see the ads.

skokieboki@yahoo.com
skokieboki@yahoo.com

Oh, and I’m using Chrome.

clairedammit
clairedammit

I’m seeing ads on Firefox. They’re also showing up in Opera.

damselindetech

Just Eat. Not too insidious.

Now, to sit back and wait for the MRAs to bawl about the feminist/mangina millionaire conspiracies and how you’re using them for profit (hope I didn’t give them ideas. I prefer to watch them flounce organically and without outside influence, like some non-imperialist explorer who doesn’t intrude into insulated cultures, tossing Bibles and smallpox blankets all willy-nilly)

Molly moon
Molly moon

My ad on my iPhone is asking me to donate my car.

Haha no thanks sorry

Maybe next ad

I have a copy of that Lego magazine ad 🙂

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Firefox Mac and Safari both have ads. And it’s some random online store one at the moment.

Good luck with the ads!

indifferentsky

What if I don’t want to admit I use chrome? Do I have to disclose that? *blush*.
No, I created my own browser from scratch and run it on a linux OS, yeah… that’s what I do.
(You know if that were true, my dad would be beaming with enough pride to cure cancer.)

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

indifferentsky — Chrome’s beating IE. File that under “things that make Argenti happy”.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Donation will be on its way soon, the flying monkeys are just being a little temperamental (the people at Paypal are doing some maintenance or something 😛 ).

indifferentsky

@ Argenti, yeah… I’m one of those that thinks google is evil. 🙂 right along side with MS.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

IDK, I think MS is extra evil — IE’s long held enough market share to basically define wtf was acceptable web design (ie if it’ll break on IE, don’t do it) — Chrome is giving them enough competition that HTML5 is actually like, functional, and not taking another decade.

Then again, I have MS Office for Mac, so I’m all too familiar with how evil MS is.

Alantas
Alantas

I whitelisted it in Adblock Plus for Chromium. The video ads are more unwieldy than I’d like, though.

@indifferentsky: If you’re wary of Chrome, there’s Chromium, which is the underlying codebase. Chrome proper is basically Chromium with some Google-specific things atop it. Otherwise, they’re basically the same thing. It’s what I use.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

I started using Firefox years ago (before it was cool!) and never looked back. Now every time I have to use IE (which is not often at all), I get angry at it for being so slow and crappy. :O

Dracula
Dracula

I tried unblocking, but I see no ads.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Obvious the ad companies don’t know how to sell to a vampiric manticore, you’ve confused them.

Dracula
Dracula

Jeez, how hard can it be? My needs are simple: Blood and flesh, and maybe a nice beach umbrella. Get on it, people!

Happy
Happy

David, I think there is a way of accessing additional funds by featuring a link to Amazon – readers follow this when buying stuff off the site.

Just an idea?

ersatzmoons
ersatzmoons

Looking up audience analysis on Alexa out of curiosity, The Good Men Project appears to have a larger percentage of female audience members then men (as well as those with college degrees).
I’m going to contemplating that. P:

The ad I got is for Volusion.

Mayara Arend

David, I think you should use an Amazon Affiliates thingy, where you have feminist books. If people buy them or anything through your link, you get %, I think 5%? And it never bothers anyone to get decent book recommendations, don’t you think? Put it on the sidebar and it doesn’t bother.

That said, I think with the Google ads it’s better if people actually click them, not view, but I think Google frowns upon site owners that mention that because people might click just to help and twist the relevance and interest graphs.

kiki
kiki

I can see ’em. Currently it’s an ad for Safestore, who my partner and I used when we moved house last year. We rented a three-metre by one-metre sapce; it wasn’t until we got there that we realised it was one metre wide, one metre deep and three metres tall.

Are we allowed to tell horror stories about the companies that advertise here? Could be fun…

informash125
informash125

I’m not actually seeing any ads, even with AdBlock and NoScript disabled. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t want to deprive the page of income. Where are the ads supposed to show?

informash125
informash125

Oh, wait. Germany isn’t (yet) part of the US. Derp.

Wisteria
Wisteria

I use Firefox and I’m seeing one ad for Netflix.

SherryH
SherryH

I’m on Firefox. I disabled Adblock Plus and got an ad for Volusion. It… moves. Static ads I can take, but the moving ones unsettle me. I may have to reenable the Adblock. Sorry. 🙁

(At least the ad didn’t auto-play music or commercial patter at me, and refuse to let me turn it off. THAT is the reason I got an ad blocker in the first place.)

Anna
Anna

Oohkay, I just got “Are the Illuminati real? Find out on Ask UK”

(I clicked through and just got a weather forecast. Hmm…)

Dracula
Dracula

Obvious conclusion: Yes, they are real, and clearly they control the weather.

Anna
Anna

I’m not so sure. I think we should ask NWO which browsers are Illuminati controlled because I can never keep track.