antifeminism douchebaggery irony alert misogyny MRA penises

The brief history of the brief career of the (unofficial) goodwill ambassador from planet Good Men Project

On a fairly regular basis, Man Boobz is visited by commenters of an MRAish disposition. There are many varieties. Some start off by trying to post rape threats and other such unpleasantness, and their comments never see the light of day. Some leave a few irritated comments and head off, never to be seen again. Some manage to stick around long enough to become Man Boobz institutions.

One interesting variety: the ones who come here, they claim, to discuss the issues with us in good faith. In most cases it becomes quickly evident that they are not interested in real discussion at all, as they ignore what most of the commenters here say to them to instead argue with the straw feminists who live in their heads.

Soon many of these alleged good-faith arguers drop the pretense entirely and lash out with nasty personal attacks. At this point they go on moderation, or find themselves banned entirely.

The latest such meltdown was a fairly quick one. For those who don’t regularly read the comments, here’s a brief history of John Anderson’s brief career (so far) as an unofficial goodwill ambassador to Man Boobz from planet Good Men Project.

An anti-feminist dude who generally hangs out at the Good Men Project, Mr. Anderson arrived at Man Boobz Prime on July 2nd, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, eager to learn from and about the feminist commenters here, and to convince some of us to join him and the other commenters at the GMP in healthy and fruitful dialogue.

In one of his first comments here, he explained the reason for his coming here:

I promised some feminists, who I really admire, at The Good Men Project that I would initially engage feminists without assuming that they are misandrist, a very difficult task for me at least. I think that I’ve mostly lived up to that promise so far as I’ve asked for clarifications and I’ve used qualifiers like seems. I can understand if this comment was written in frustration, but understand that I and any new visitor to the site won’t understand the back story if there is one and the comment just comes off as being dismissive of male victimization.

In a further comment he explained that he was trying to do his part to save the Men’s Rights movement from the angry ideologues:

I was on a voice for men a while back. They had nothing but contempt for the GMPers. I’m certain that I’ll cross paths with them. It is my heartfelt intent to reclaim my movement from people who would disgrace it.

Five minutes later, alas, we learned that he had determined we were all a bunch of misandrists after all.

I only promised not to assume that feminists were misandrists. Once proven, it is no longer an assumption.

Oh, wait, not all of us. But we are a bunch of meanies:

I don’t think all the commentators hate men or are necessarily closed minded to other view points. I actually stepped away from a safe space to engage people who don’t see things the way I do. The feeling that I get is that there is great hostility to anyone who may consider men to be victims under any circumstance….

I’ve quoted DOJ and CDC statistics and included page numbers or links on an article that says that we shouldn’t be angry over truthful statistics. I’ve been told that the statistics have been spun. Maybe I should have refrained from that SHOCKED bit. I probably should have considered the feelings of the people on this site. I’d consider apologizing, but too many people here seem mean.

As far as I can tell, he determined that I was a misandrist because I downplayed the fact that more men are murdered than women by writing the following sentence in the OP:

While four times as many men are murdered than women, only 5% of murdered men are killed by “intimates.”

I remain a bit baffled as to how a sentence that starts by noting that four times as many men are murdered than women is downplaying the fact that, well, four times as many men are murdered than women. You can go read the whole discussion yourself and see if you can figure it out.

The meltdown followed not long afterwards. In one comment, Mr. Anderson suggested, as far as I can figure it, that [TW: RAPE APOLOGETICS] women regularly decide whether or not to charge a man with rape after they determine how good their rapist is in bed:

When is a woman responsible for her own rape because it wasn’t worth fighting over? Maybe she liked it and waited to see how good he was before deciding on whether to fight and that whole women don’t report rape thing can’t be a big deal if she didn’t think it was important enough to report. Feminists say you should never blame the victim. What feminists mean is that you should never blame the victim unless the victim is a man.

But he still hoped to lure some of us over to the Good Man Project for more scintillating discussion about how feminists are evil and mean and how dudes like him think women think  about rape. Oh, and that movie about the stripper dudes.

Come by and visit. Right now there are discussions focusing around the objectification of men because of the Magic Mike movie. There are also multiple discussions around men and feminism. Come and visit.

Then, for some reason, he decided to bring up his cock:

Kyrie says,

“Fuck. You.”

No thanks. Not sure if triple bagging it would help. I’m referring to both my cock and your face. I have to have some fun. 🙂

At this point, I put Mr. Anderson on permanent moderation.

Or  tried to anyway. Due to a little glitch, it didn’t take, so Mr. Anderson was able to post freely for a while. Among other things, he tried to explain away that previous comment with this:

David says,

“And that line about cocks and faces wins Mr. Anderson the prize of permanent moderation. Congrats!”

You forgot bags. It’s bags, cocks, and faces. You have to admit, that statement was a classic.

Not so much.

Then he whined about being moderated:

Dude, I can’t even keep up with the comments directed at me. If I have to deal with moderation, the situation would be unworkable. It should earn me props on a voice for men when I decide to return at least until I start commenting on their discussions. It only took two or was it three days to get semi-banned from the site. Gotta be a record.

The only record set was for how quickly Mr. Anderson devolved from an earnest man of alleged good faith to a cock-talking troll.

Noah Brand

Ah yes, Mr. Anderson. He’s a kick. His faux-reasonable routine is way better than most MRAs, and we have comment moderators at the GMP who’ve been pounding their heads against that brick wall for quite some time. Literally one of my long-term goals for GMP is finding a way to get our moderators paid; dealing with our trolls should be more than a volunteer gig, I feel.

nwoslave

He didn’t genuflect or swear allegiance to the divine feminine. He was promptly exorcised and cast out.

Talking about your trolls is beneath you, David.

valerienorth
valerienorth

This is complete bullshit. If some of the women over at the GMP wanted us to comment on their blog why wouldn’t they just come and ask themselves?

I love how he says – if i have to deal with moderation the situation would be unworkable- as if it was just something that happened to him and not something he caused himself. Classic.

hellkell
hellkell

So… he didn’t like AVfM, but now he’s going to run back there for cookies? They’re just going to call him a hopeless magina.

Nanasha
Nanasha

“You are sorely trying my patience, Mr. Anderson…..”

*takes off glasses*

“Well, guys, what do you think? Should we get the Evil Feminazi Bellybutton Tracer Squid Things?”

/bad Matrix reference

Sorry, couldn’t help it. But why do all the MRA trolls seem to think that they are “the One”?

Nanasha
Nanasha

PS: Don’t you just love it when MRAs come into the thread, start using elevated diction to basically say incendiary things, and then honestly try and say that we’re “being hysterical/crazy” or “making it all up” or “reading my opinions the wrong way”?

I’m sorry, but gaslighting is fucked up, and it’s pretty likely not to work if you’re working in a group of people who can smell your bullshit a mile away.

Fembot
Fembot

I love how MRAs throw in “I wouldn’t fuck with you his” insults, like we are going to feel dissed that they don’t want to sleep with us. Someone on AVfM wrote something like “If Jessica Valenti was spread eagle naked on a bed I wouldn’t fuck her!” Yeah, A) You probably would, and B) Ms. Valenti would never make herself available to you. Seriously MRAs, saying that we can’t have your penis is not a punishment or insult.

captainbathrobe
captainbathrobe

Man, I miss all the fun threads. It makes me wish I had time to comment here like I used to. Oh well, it’s good to know that others are here fighting the good fight.

And, yes, I agree that “oh yeah, well I’d never fuck you either!” isn’t really the threat/insult that our dear boy thinks it is.

valerienorth
valerienorth

@Fembot- But the penis and the sperm that come with it are the ultimate get. The bible tells us so. Remember Abraham parting the “red sea” with his “big staff”? Too funny.
I swear they really do believe it’s raining if they piss on their own leg so they can’t imagine why we wouldn’t believe it either.

Remember Abraham parting the “red sea” with his “big staff”?

Nope.

darksidecat

This is…yeah, about the level of discourse I expect from the majority of GMP peoples/

Freitag
Freitag

But…but…but… “I wouldn’t deign to fuck you” is a devastating insult! You isn’t devastated? Nobody’s devastated? sob

Molly moon
Molly moon

He’s the first person over 12 that I’ve encountered who insisted on interpreting “fuck you” as an invitation for sex.

So I figure he’s either 12, or he’s too wrapped up in his distorted perceptions to understand the difference between “fuck you” and “fuck me”.

Viscaria
Viscaria

That great and powerful hunter in the post image bears a remarkable resemblance to the giant, rumbling creature I am placating as we speak.

Pam
Pam

I think that he insisted on interpreting it that way so that he could spring on us the oh-SO-original ‘you’re too ugly to fuck … hur hur hur!!’ He even thought his statement “a classic”.

Skylar Rouse
Skylar Rouse

So I see a guy trying to use statistics and studies to show that there are needs for concern a men’s rights movement and a bunch of people ignoring him, making personal attacking and in general just being mean. These are kinds of things that make me people that some people actually think using logic is a form of abuse. I apologize that many studies coming out are basically against all of the man-blaming that tends to go on in these circles but it’s reality, I mean why attack this guy simply for pointing out facts. To me it just seems that no one actually cares about learning anything here, you seem to have read the feminist handbook, questioned nothing, and come to these wild crazy conclusions. I don’t understand the point of people here but you’re right, this is going to be my only comment, I don’t need the frustration of talking to people that don’t care to listen and already “know” all the facts they’ll ever need to know. It’s a sad state of affairs that this is what “equality” has come to. Jeez you people are just so classy. I don’t know why I bother commenting I know this will just be mocked and what not but I suppose you can’t make me feel like any less of a person and I am just that, a person who thinks you are all sad individuals. Think of it as the opposite of all the verbal masturbation and pats on the back you give each other. So just to reiterate, some one, somewhere thinks you guys really need to rethink your ways and are generally acting like terrible people, for as much weight as that holds.

Steele
Steele

Well, it sure looks bad when you put it like this, Futrelle. Without context, readers won’t be aware that the nasty atmosphere in your comments section, as well as the personal attacks specifically directed toward Mr. Anderson, could have reasonably led him to believe that such a tone was fair game.

But then again, lack of context is par for the course when it comes to Manboobz.

Hank
Hank

Just to say the photo’s a dead ringer for my Bombay cat. Sadly he is an occasional bird killer.

Steele
Steele

Excellent post, Skylar.

Sharculese

o thank god, the passive aggressive squad is on the case

Cliff Pervocracy

He had statistics and studies on whether making gross sexual comments on a blog will help spread your message?

Huh. I’d love to see his primary sources.

Sharculese

it’s not anybody’s fault that johnny was too thick to see where the line was and not cross it except his, and its nobodys fault that his ‘joke’ was, in addition to be tasteless, just weak and lame

all the whining in the world wont change that, sorry kiddo

Sharculese

you know exactly why you did it, don’t be coy. you wanted to have an audience for your little self-righteous foot stomp and still get to huff about how you have the moral highground.

do you know what irony is champ? do they teach that at pout school?

Sharculese

also because you know we arent nearly fixated on you as you are on us, and you had to do something to make yourself feel better about that

Steele
Steele

Sharculese, nice to see you already attempting to goad me as you all did Anderson. I know that the feminists here are given license to spew all the invective they want while men’s rights commenters must tread on shards of glass. I accept that, and you won’t see me falling for your little games.

Snowy
Snowy

Oh, you mean without the context of the comment thread? That David links to in his post? Umkaaay

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

I don’t understand the point of people here

It’s right up there in the masthead. Misogyny. We mock it.

If you come in a start spouting misogynist crap (that we’ve heard before, by the way), we’re going to mock you.

Kyrie
Kyrie

Steel, the context is all there: he wrote the horrible quote that David copied about rape, to which I answered “Fuck. You.” (short for “Go fuck yourself”, not “let’s fuck together”) plus a bit of explanation on why I was angry then Anderson wrote back… well it’s all there. If you think David hid things, find us the missing context.

I’m not sure what you could hope to find anyway. Unless we said something worse (we didn’t), the best you can hope is “they were mean to him which is what forced him to react like that”. Which, I hope you realize, is abuser logic.

Sharculese

goad you? i dont care about you not even a little. but if you say dumb whiny things, im gonna make fun of them for being dumb and whiny. that is what i do.

but know that i know that you know that i know that she knows that youre totally above all the obsessing about a comedy blog that youre about to do anyway or whatever non-thought you were trying to waft my way.

Kyrie
Kyrie

“Well, it sure looks bad when you put it like this, Futrelle.”

At least we agree on that. Now, show in what way it doesn’t look bad.

Cliff Pervocracy

Holy abuser-logic Batman. You know that no one can make you spew crude sexual insults? You know that’s your decision? Even if someone makes you angry, they don’t actually force you to type out in detail how they’re too ugly to fuck.

But, no, no, continue to pat yourself on the back for resisting those mean feminists who are trying to make you attack them.

Sharculese

apparently commenting on manboobz is a conspiracy to get people banned from… commenting on manboobz. because that makes sense.

also, to all incoming whiners, note that literally the second comment in this thread is from owlslave, who is on permanent moderation for among other things calling someone a ‘fuckdoll with a pulse’ and generally advocating beating women just as a general principle. most of his posts still make it through.

Sharculese

owlslave, how is it your still allowed to post then?

Epiphany!
Epiphany!

“… while men’s rights commenters must tread on shards of glass.”

You came to comment at this site, where obviously mras (should) tend to ‘walk on egg shells,’ so, why are you complaining again? How is this a game Feminists play? It seems to me, this is exactly what you want to achieve in commenting here. I am not goading, just have a hard time following your mind set because it seems illogical.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

So I see a guy trying [and failing] to use statistics and studies to show that there are needs for concern a men’s rights movement and a bunch of people ignoring him, making personal attacking and in general just being mean [pointing out his errors so that he can correct them, and then giving up when it became clear he was just here to derail].

Fixed that for ya.

Kyrie
Kyrie

Sharculese: we feminists are the best at conspiracy. It’s just as good as Anita’s scheme of attracting sexist gamers to get money to speak about sexism in games.

captainbathrobe
captainbathrobe

Skylar, why do you hate paragraphs so much? What have they ever done to you?

hellkell
hellkell

Skylar and Steele, same person? Either way, they’re representative of why I can’t read GMP for more than two seconds.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Kyrie, it’s amazing. It’s like he’s got his fingers stuck in his ears, and he just keeps repeating himself louder and louder, wondering why people aren’t bowing before him in awe at his amazing powers of argumentation.

Steele
Steele

The Good Men Project I’ve found to be in a shaky position. It’s occupying a middle ground between men’s activists and feminists, and thus is often reviled by extremists on both sides. Moderates, such as myself, enjoy the magazine.

BASTA!
BASTA!

For context, this is the sentence in question:

I’m a bit baffled how such a skilled debater could miss the subtle difference between downplaying and denying. Yes, you can very much acknowledge a fact and then downplay its significance in the next clause of the same sentence. Bonus points for the downplaying being fallacious like it is here. The fallacy becomes transparent when one realizes that someone killed by a stranger is not even a tiny bit less dead than someone killed by an intimate.

cloudiah

PASTA, you don’t seem to understand how words and sentences work. For that matter, you don’t seem to understand MEANING. In the context of a post on IPV, it is clear that ONLY MRAs could see that sentence as downplaying the murder of men.

Based on your position on shipwrecks and disaster responses, I am pretty sure your solution to the overall statistic on men being murdered at such a high rate is to kill more women. You know, to make things more fair.

Skylar Rouse
Skylar Rouse

So yeah I just wanted to make sure that this is indeed a place of holding your ears shut so that you’re thinking can never possibly evolve. It’s funny to think that you people actually think that somehow you make sense or are truly mocking anything. All you’re doing is standing in a circle letting someone say something dumb, offensive, or just ignorant and than turning to each to other for validation. Some weird ” Look Look I done good”. It saddens me that this can of ignorance is actually applauded and the only thing someone here needs to do to get validation is basically exclaim how anything that challenges feminism is evil and feminism is the be all end all of everything. It is easy to be around a lot of people who agree with you and be ignorant, it is incredibly difficult to try to challenges closed minded people’s views. So nothing you do here is “brave” or hell “important” but it does make me laugh. Personally I get all the validation I need simply from reading blogs like this and knowing at least I truly believe in equality and I truly want to change the world for the better. So yeah it’s amazing that the human mind let’s you guys think this is anything but ignorance being shouted back and forth among friends. Oh and as for why I would post, it’s not to pout( you guys actually have no bearing on my life, I don’t take offense from people I don’t respect) or to be passive aggressive( I like to think I’m pretty straight forward with my meanings,). I’ll leave you with a quote that I hope would explain why “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

hellkell
hellkell

Skylar: paragraphs, do you know them? If you want people to read your whining, make it easier for them to do so.

Sharculese

yeah, this is some bullshit. if you didn’t actually care, you wouldnt be over here telling us about how much you dont care (but still hate hate hate us). you’d be off, not caring.

as opposed to you, who’s diligently responded to every comment on his original post. get over yourself.

cloudiah

@Skylar, That’s nice dear. Run along.

Sharculese

skylar is rilly rilly upset about people he totally doesnt care about at all.

who here is brave enough to soothe skylar’s wounded internet ego?

BASTA!
BASTA!

@cloudiah:

No, I am not a Chinese room. There is an actual conscious mind at this end of the wire, if that’s what you were trying to cast doubt on.

Keep digging.