antifeminism MRA nice guys whaaaaa?

He blogs … just like a woman

This just in: I am a woman! Again. At least according to a blogger calling herself miliefisathand, who recently wrote a post about that “are nice guys sociopaths?” post I wrote a while ago.

Her evidence? When writing her response to me, she repeatedly found herself referring to me using female pronouns — so therefore I must actually be a woman.

Yes, that’s actually her argument:

While editing my article I lost count of the number of times I had to change “her” or “she” to “him” and “he”. I don’t normally make gender pronoun errors so I have a deep suspicion that the author is a woman impersonating a man. I’m spiritually sensitive to such things.

Hate to break it to you, but your guy-dar is way off. Protip: I post under my real name, and if you google that name, you will find ample evidence that I am, in fact, a real, living dude.

In the case of MRA dudes who misgender me as a woman, it’s clearly the result of their misogyny. In the case of miliefisathand, a self-described Smartassed Burmese Transwoman, I don’t quite understand what exactly is going on.

She also misses the point of my post, and the comments from regulars here that offered some pretty sensible criticisms of what I wrote, but at this point it’s not exactly a shock to see a Man Boobz critic arguing against things I didn’t say rather than things I did say.

Howard Bannister

I will keep my lips zipped regarding spoilers.

So, short version, Brave has nightmare fuel of the unintentional sort that could cause quite a bit of trauma for the poor kids.

The first really traumatic movie for me, that scared the pants right off me, was the Blob. My mom was like, no, that’s just a corny kind of movie, right?

The idea of something that couldn’t be stopped, that wasn’t human, that would touch you and then you knew you were done but you couldn’t fight it? Um… yeah.

Sometimes I try to write horror novels. I can’t think of anything scarier than that.

ozymandias42

Yeah, I haven’t seen it and want to stay spoiler-free, but I’d like to keep reading the thread.

DYOR, what is wrong with fat crossdressers exactly, and how do you know that Howard is one? o.O Also, could you please enlighten me about what the joke was? I am a Nonbinary of Little Brain and may miss the subtleties of your humor.

You will notice that I don’t hate freedom of speech. In fact, I am encouraging you to speak!

DYOR —

“A woman thought you were a woman LOL … get it?”

No, no I don’t, care to explain?

“don’t you have some men to service?”

Well, it is his birthday, so I tried calling despite knowing he’s silly busy currently, but I got voicemail. Sometimes you have a deadline 2 days after your birthday, shit happens.

ShadetheDruid — “which glaring at the parent definitely is, or any glaring for that matter. I think I just worked up an irrational hatred of glaring” — I reserve my glaring for people glaring, and assholes (eg catcallers). But yeah, glaring at a gay couple holding hands? *death glare*

katz — “Mine was Jumanji.” — me too! And having rewatched it not that long ago, it’s still scary. (That movie scared my mother too, though I’m entirely sure her childhood traumatizing movie would be the birds)

Re: Brave — haven’t seen it, will likely not see it until it’s out on DVD, please don’t spoil the ending. Thanks!

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I agree. It looks gross, it eats people alive, and it is indestructible for anyone but Steve McQueen with a fire extinguisher.

Snowy
Snowy

For me it was 20,000 leagues under the sea. That giant squid was scary, man!

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

The squid from Pirates of the Caribbean was scary, too. Cephalopods just look creepy with their giant heads and long tentacles.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

That and they appear to be all soft and squishy, but have stuff like hooks and beaks hidden underneath. O.O

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

I was fine when I hit movies, nothing compared with Dr Who’s cybermen, which set me up for years of looking at scary scenes through my fingers. I’m so old, I watched it on a black and white television. 🙂

I think taking up knitting while watching television was what cured me of the fingers trick. That, and it not being a good look once you become a teenager.

ozymandias42

Y’all are weird. Cephalopods are AWESOME.

For the longest time I thought they were called cuddlefish and I was very happy at the person who shared my opinion that they needed to be snuggled…

Dracula

Hey, speaking of cephalopods you know what’s an actual thing that exists? Vampire squid!

How cool is that?

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

This reminds me of another little story actually (another example of me being an idiot with people’s avatars and imagining them as stuff). *Pauses for the collective groan*

That little octopus avatar Ozy sometimes uses? For aaggeess I thought that was a mouse. >.<

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

… You need to meet some of my friends.

Or more specifically the six-foot plushie squid one of my friends made.

pecunium
pecunium

Mine was, “The Legend of Hell House”. I can, however, see why the child was scared in Brave. I’m 45, and I wasn’t sure the ending was going to work out. It was some pretty scary stuff, in a lot of ways.

BTW, has anyone else notice the stupid, useless, Green Screen in front of trailers now…?

“This Preview has been approved for appropriate audiences”.

Duh… but it’s not conveying any actual content.

Argenti Aertheri

“nothing compared with Dr Who’s cybermen”

…this is true, and I didn’t learn of them until I was 25 (though, I find the weeping angels even more terrifying, at least you can try to run from cybers)

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

The side view of the vampire squid looked interesting. The oral view, though, looked like the sarlacc from Star Wars.

Huh. I suppose it does.

And yeah, the Weeping Angels are pretty fuckin’ scary.

DYOR
DYOR

you are alright in my book ozy, just keep your gorilla back white knight fat boy Howard on a chain, my goodness he sounds so angry. Anyways, the joke was not that funny to you guys so who cares. I’m starting to understand the posters on here. talk to you later. 🙂

ozymandias42

no no no no no

don’t leave yet

YOU HAVEN’T EXPLAINED THE JOKE

Snowy
Snowy

What’s a gorilla back?

jumbofish

I am guessing its some kind of racist remark but who even knows.

No one was afraid of the Daleks?

indifferentsky

I’m pretty sure that gorilla back refers to hairy back.
Because gross. (the assumption is)

Argenti Aertheri

“No one was afraid of the Daleks?”

Far less so than cybers or the weeping angels, they just kill you dead, and quickly even. That’s almost find compared to the cybers (and the angels, depending which way they kill you).

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

You have to admit though, Daleks did get a little scarier once they figured out stairs. 😛

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

E-LE-VATE

Argenti Aertheri

Well fuck me and my typing skills — find should be kind >.<

ragefromthebasement

Why the hell are MRAs obsessed with orifices and (not) penetrating? Seventh graders have a more sophisticated sense of humor than these clowns.

Falconer
Falconer

I’m a 33 year old grown man and I almost lost it several times watching Brave.

There’s something about Pixar movies that really gets to me. I think I was actually sobbing at the end of the Story of Carl’s Life in the first 15 minutes of Up.

I won’t spoil Brave, but I will say that tiny Merida is the cutest thing ever. I realize I am saying this on the Internet and thus earning the lifelong enmity of all cats everywhere, but it’s true. Go see Brave. Do it!

As far as movies making me lose my shit, I got really freaked out at Arachnophobia and I couldn’t understand why my folks found it at all funny.

Oh, and I’ve seen Evil Dead 2 but not Evil Dead because even with all the comedy, Evil Dead 2 is pretty intense and I’ve heard Evil Dead is more.

Better get off. My cat is helping me type like Ruby helps us reform our prisons.

Falconer
Falconer

I’ve thought the new series kind of realizes how naff the Daleks are, and tries to impress upon the audience how scary the Daleks should be by having the Doctor totally flip his shit. It doesn’t always work, and the body count has to suffice.

Also, I think there’s an inverse Dalek law, parallel to the inverse ninja law.

Dracula

I’m a 33 year old grown man and I almost lost it several times watching Brave.

Yer not alone. That movie is just impossibly, soul-achingly sweet and amazing.

Argenti Aertheri

Arachnophobia creeps me right out, but I still loved that ending (it’s funny because goddamned you, you fucking giant ass spider!). And I do find the Daleks scary, particularly the Bad Wolf ones, but, well “exterminate!” “yeah, I kind of figured that” — no being reanimated as their voice box or sent back in time, no “upgrading”, no being turned into a Sithleen skin suit, just one quick shot — they’re almost merciful for the Doctor Who big baddies. No, you can’t well beat them, but they’re quick about it at least.

Dracula

I think the Daleks used to be a lot less impressive than they currently are (and have been for while now, really). They’ve come a long way from the easily bamboozled top-heavy bumper cars that were introduced in 1963. People’s perceptions of them seem awfully dated. I still see jokes about them being baffled by stairs, even though it’s established they can levitate.

That said, no matter how scary and capable they become, they’ll always be kinda funny. They’re too absurd not to be. Although sometimes the absurdity of something is precisely what makes it terrifying.

Argenti Aertheri

Dracula — I find old series Doctor Who just a bit too laughable to really watch, yet I still find them less terrifying than the cybers (or angels, or the Sithleen most days) — if the baddie of the week is going to kill you, it could at least be quick about it.

Actually, the most terrifying might be the vashta nerada, but I try not to think about those episodes (because of River, not them). Anything that makes the Doctor say “run, just run” ranks among the most terrifying things in existence. Vashta nerada = *shudder*

Dracula

The Vashta Nerada are pretty scary, although to me the whole neural interface communicator “ghosting” thing has more frightening implications.

Dracula

But then, that was kinda integrated into the scariness of the Vashta Nerada themselves, so maybe I’m just splitting hairs here.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Daleks might not be the best out of the Doctor Who “monsters”, but I still like them a lot. They don’t have as much fear and/or creep factor as some of the others (though they’re still killing machines, so they’re far from unscary), but I think what makes it for me is what they actually are, their history, and how they got that way.

(Weeping Angels will always be my favourites though 😀 ).

Medium Dave

🙂 I think it’s exactly the contrast between their arrogant grandiosity and their silly appearance that makes the daleks such great villians.