Uncategorized

“Hatred and anger are power,” and other thoughts on women and gaming from Spearheaders

Evil incarnate

Over on The Spearhead, W.F. Price celebrates the harassment directed at Anita Sarkeesian’s Tropes Against Women video project as a sign of a powerful new backlash against the evils of feminism, a backlash he’s proud to be a part of. Dudes being obnoxious to a woman on the internet: Men’s Rights at its finest.

Oh, sure, Price acknowledges, some of the attacks on her were “juvenile” – and thus not as effective as they might otherwise have been — and the controversy did enable Sarkeesian to raise more than $130,000 for her project, but Price even sees this as a victory of sorts:

As for Sarkeesian’s success, we should be happy about it, because I can’t think of a more worthless way to spend over a hundred thousand dollars than in finger-wagging over video games. For one thing, it’s sure to piss even more guys off, and the game industry is very competitive, so her documentary (now expanded to 12 parts!) will likely have zero effect on production and consumption of this form of entertainment. The feminists are simply pissing all the money away, and that’s fine, because this time they’re paying for it themselves.

No question about it: those grapes were definitely sour.

Naturally, the Spearhead regulars were overjoyed by these new signs of, er, progress. Here are some highlights from the discussion that followed; lest I be accused once again of cherry-picking outliers, each and every one of the comments I quote below got literally dozens of net upvotes. This is what these guys really think.

Mojo offers a sort of backlash manifesto:

Feminists will never understand that it is -they- who are the oppressors. They cling to their delusion that they are the ‘underdog’ against the system, even as they control the system.

Revolution requires an enemy class to attack … this is seen as justified when the enemy class controls the system. But feminism is perpetual revolution. So what happens when they gain control over the system? They continue to attack the enemy class, i.e. men, thinking they are striking the next blow against the patriarchy, when what they are doing is more like a pogrom.

Yep, he went there.

Now -they- are the system, they are able and more than willing to intimidate, humiliate, expropriate. It will get indefinitely worse if they have their way. Liberal feminism leads -necessarily- to radical feminism.

Still, we don’t need feminists to ‘understand’ that they are the persecutors (I imagine some of them know this full well and are just misandrist sadists, little Eichmanns). It doesn’t matter what they think or know or understand. What matters is what -we- think, know and understand, and how we are going to act on it.

So … like the swivel-eyed feminist lunatics progressing from attempted assassinations to laying the foundations for institutional and legal abuse … I ask you – what are we going to DO with this knowledge and awareness beyond changing online discourse? …

Thinking like a leftist, though: why not attach ourselves to the GOP in order to subvert its gender politics and radicalize it in the MRA direction? That kind of approach has worked wonders for leftists and their infiltrations into public institutions …

Huh. Reactionary anti-feminists attaching themselves to the Republican Party? No one’s ever thought of that before.

Keyster offers some equally, er, innovative thinking:

Feminism has failed because women as a group adopted the notion of “equality” with men, while stubbornly clinging to their sexual/reproductive power over men. Had feminism truly helped women “realize their greatness”, there’d be far more great women. Instead there’s just more feminists. It’s run it’s course over 3 generations and it’s out of time to prove itself righteous.

The original “male chauvanist pigs” of the early 70′s, were right all along. Women are biologically and chemically ill-equipped to be men. If the Creator had meant women to be more like men, he wouldn’t have given them the ability to bring forth life from their bodies.

Ryu not only embraces the backlash, but seems perfectly fine with the notion that the Men’s Rights movement is a hate movement:

Good. Hatred and anger are power. Whenever you hear someone say “stop the hate”, it is a call to throw down your greatest weapons.

Young Guy purports to speak for all young guys (manginas presumably excepted):

If feminists think men, especially young men, are angry, they don’t know the half of it. As a 26 year-old male, I have seen this society bend over backwards to accommodate women all the time.

The school curriculums are geared toward female success. Schools have countless women’s programs. Female teachers can be as hateful as they want towards male students without facing consequences. People cheer when girls succeed in school, but jeer when boys succeed in school. Even though females have every advantage in the education system, they somehow still have the audacity to complain. They take fluff majors but don’t realize anyone with less than half a brain could pass classes in the humanities and social sciences.

What makes so many MRAs such proud yahoos?.

Oh, and just look at the workplace. Sexual harassment laws give women freedom to dress slutty and still have the nerve to complain when men sneak a peek. If you are a man who has a female co-worker, you have to walk on eggshells everyday or else you can get fired because the twat in the other room got her panties in a bunch over something minor you said. You can be a man who has busted his ass everyday to succeed in your chosen profession, only to see it mean nothing because some woman who was nothing more than an affirmative action hire. If this isn’t bad enough, you get these useless women who are subpar, yet they still never shut up about breaking through the mythical glass-ceiling that they didn’t break and didn’t exist in the first place.

Working men, forever cursed by subpar women.

Also, I have really had enough of women dragging this country down with their dead-weight. Female soldiers, police officers, and firefighters are liabilities. No, all you ladies in these jobs, you aren’t heroes. I am going to go insane if I hear one more female soldier, police officer, or firefighter cry about not getting the respect she thinks she deserves. She doesn’t get respect because she doesn’t deserve respect. The military, law enforcement, and firefighters would be A LOT better off if women stopped lowering the bar to astronomical proportions.

“Lowering the bar to astronomical proportions?” Young Guy here has clearly not yet mastered the fine art of metaphor.

He blabs on a bit longer before wrapping up with:

The backlash is not only real, but it is well-deserved. Apologies won’t erase the damage which has been done. Acting like what happened because of feminism either didn’t happen or was minor is a slap in the face. Saying women have suffered from feminism just as much as men is like spitting in the faces of all the men who have suffered ten lifetimes of pain because of feminism.

Not one, not two, not five, but ten lifetimes of pain? MRAs really are the world’s greatest drama kings.

Andrew S., meanwhile, seems a little confused as to what feminists would like to see happening in the video game industry:

It will be interesting to see if feminists can ruin the gaming industry like they ruin pretty much everything else. There is a lot of money being made off “gamers,” and even guys like me who play the occasional game but aren’t hardcore contribute a lot of money to the industry.

I doubt there are a lot of young guys and men out there who are going to want to play games that involve a bunch of screaming feminists, and where the object of the game is to destroy the “evil patriarchy.” The truth is guys who play games want their female characters to be either hot, large breasted, ass kicking types, or sexy non-feminist types that you save. If the gaming industry changes this dynamic to much due to Feminist/liberal pressure they will destroy a cash cow. And feminism will have yet another “victory.”

Unrestricted and uncriticized access to giant tittied video game ladies: a sacred men’s right!

Kevin evidently speaks for many when he says he wants video games to remain a boys club:

Video games are pretty much the only place that feminism can’t invade unless the principle consumers of them want it. You don’t have to play with girls, or listen to girls, or do other pansy shit. You probably can’t leave a football team and join a different one that has no women, you sure as hell can do that online. Don’t like all the teamwork talk? Play by yourself.

Feminists don’t like video games because; they can’t make them, they can’t force you to buy them or play them even if they did, they couldn’t ruin the experience for you unless you wanted them to.

You can do anything feminists don’t want you to do, and best of all you’re rewarded for it.

Anonymous Age 70 doesn’t even play video games, but he was pleased to learn that you can shoot ladies in them:

Speaking of video games, I am reminded of my son 8 or 10 years ago. I visited him, and he had some kind of shoot-em-up video game. He was partnered with a dearie, and the instant the game started, he always put a bullet in the middle of her forehead. Then, he’d laugh as if it were the funniest thing ever.

I told him he was a sick man, but I was also laughing as if it were the funniest thing ever.

Seriously, he told me he performed better with her dead than needing to be protected.

A great analogy for marriage 2.0, yes?

Women, can’t live them, can’t shoot them in the head. Except in video games!

Criticizing video games is misandry!

lowquacks
lowquacks

At least Man Boobz is a pretty good place to derail. Anyone got a topic that doesn’t play into libertarian paranoia?

VoIP

Awww, AFLAC has an angry. A blooo blooo blooo. A blooo blooo blooo.
Because I’m so nice, I’m going to read along with this here RCMP gun licence thing. So, you said:

You know, how you have to track down your previous sexual partners and basically ask their permission for you to have a gun? What section of the form is that? Oh yeah, it’s right here in sections D, E, and F.

But I have the document in front of me and it says:

E and F – INFORMATION ABOUT CURRENT AND FORMER CONJUGAL PARTNERS

Conjugal partner includes spouses and common law partners and all other persons with whom you live or have lived in a similar relationship within the last 2 years.A spouse is a person to whom you are legally married. A common-law partner is a person who is cohabiting with you in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of
at least one year.

The signature(s) of your current or former conjugal partner(s) is not legally required. However, if their signature(s) is not provided, the Chief Firearms Officer has a duty to notify them of your application for a firearms licence.

Moving along!

How about your mental health and job history? Why that would be section C.

How about your character references? Mm.. Section H.

I’m wondering what Canada might find if it took a look at your job history and character references, I really am.

Let’s look at what the text says.

This is the entirety of the draconian Section C.

If you answer YES to any of the questions in this section, you MUST provide details on a separate page. Add your name at the top of each page you
attach. If details are not provided, your application cannot be processed.
A YES answer does not mean your application will be refused but it may lead to further examination.
If you have received a pardon for any offence listed in box 16 a), you are NOT required to disclose the offence.

16. a) During the past five (5) years, have you been charged, convicted or granted a discharge for an offence:
(i) under the Criminal Code or the Youth Criminal Justice Act where violence was used, threatened or attempted;
(ii) involving the misuse, possession or storage of a firearm; or
(iii) involving trafficking or importing drugs or controlled substances?

b) During the past five (5) years, have you been subject to a peace bond, protection order or an order under section 810 of the Criminal Code?

c) During the past five (5) years, have you or any member of your household been prohibited from possessing any firearm?

d) During the past five (5) years, have you threatened or attempted suicide, or have you suffered from or been diagnosed or treated by a medical practitioner for: depression; alcohol, drug or substance abuse; behavioural problems; or emotional
problems?

e) During the past five (5) years, do you know if you have been reported to the police or social services for violence, threatened or attempted violence, or other conflict in your home or elsewhere?

f) During the past two (2) years, have you experienced a divorce, a separation, a breakdown of a significant relationship, job loss or bankruptcy?

PEOPLE WITH A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE PROBABLY SHOULDN’T OWN GUNS IN CANADA, AND THE RCMP WOULD LIKE TO CHECK UP ON THAT.

INFORM AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL.

As a person with depression, the only one I’d have an issue with is d), and since they say they’d take explanations into account, I’d just tell them I’m medicated and going to therapy. Good to go.

VoIP

And Section H is one character reference. One. I provided two on my student loans.

My heart bleeds for you, AFLAC.

Argenti Aertheri

“Dirtyhippiefeet may ALSO be an aboriginal person – i don’t know. If they are, then guess what chucklefuck? They’re subject to special dispensation! I won’t bother telling you who’s responsible for that little gem of injustice. For those who are not aboriginal, well, guess what asshole? No special dispensation for you!”

I…wow…it isn’t often I get to say this — your country committed goddamned genocide, attempting to rectify that is not a motherfucking “little gem of injustice” — more like throwing one starfish back, going “it matters to this one” and calling it a fucking day. Tribal sovereignty really is a goddamned difficult concept for white people isn’t it? They have their own laws you dipshit, because of a fucking century+ of genocide.

And you know what really fucking gets me? I’d thought Canada was handling that better than the US, but apparently there are plenty of anti-Native bigots north of the border too. (I’m not exactly surprised or anything, I just continue to be appalled)

Nanasha — long story short, he did the rather idiotic thing of approaching a cop to tell him he was driving unsafely and breaking what was about to be passed as a law — while looking like a long haired hippie, his whiteness didn’t really matter at that point (though I imagine he’d have gotten worse than a punch to the face if he wasn’t white). The kubuton, despite being in his backpack, was just icing at that point.

“If you don’t say anything, except for base responses, you can’t have your words twisted.” — nawh, they’ll just assume you’re on drugs and question you as to what and from whom. (He got off with community service and a bruise in the end, and a lesson in whether the police really service the public or themselves.)

Dracula — “Because that’s Insurance Duck’s pet issue, and trolls never give a fuck about derailing, because their shit is always more important.” — …oh, right. We need a wand of +2 rerailing or something (sorry if my D&D joke is off, I’m a white wolf fan myself)

VoIP — “Now why on earth the country of Canada thinks your ex has a right to know that you’ve got a gun now, I HAVE NO IDEA.” — was that sarcasm? I can’t tell currently…if not, I already cited how former partners are more dangerous than current ones (even in Canada! /sarcasm).

Yeah my only issue with those is d there, and I think you’re right that asking and taking explanations into account is the way to go (then again, I don’t own a gun for exactly why d is asking that — no one wants to have to clean up my brain, and fair enough on that). My former psych major self says “emotion problems is way vague”, otherwise that all sounds reasonable.

VoIP

Yeah, it’s sarcasm. Everything on that document actually sounds like a good idea to me, especially the part where the cops tell your exes you’re armed. If I learned my dad got a gun, ffffuuuuuuuuu….

Dracula
Dracula

VoIP, I just wanna say thank you for all that. It was a brilliant takedown.

It so happens I’ve been gradually coming around to wanting to learn how to use firearms, but I’m little uneasy about the idea of owning one myself for very similar reasons.

I’m prone to bouts of depression, and although they’re under control now (thanks to meds) and I’ve never been suicidal in any serious way, I worry about the temptation.

Argenti Aertheri

“If I learned my dad got a gun, ffffuuuuuuuuu….”

This is why I moved 500 miles away, lead time for my mother to call me if he decides to just show up. (The rest of the family tiptoes around his abusive behavior and blames me for “setting him off” so you know, fine, I’ll stay safely far away)

Sorry I missed the sarcasm, between him and the shit of NYC’s dyke march, my brain is zapped.

Shaenon

So women were fooled?

Yup. If it hadn’t been for feminist trickery, my great-grandmother would have been properly grateful about working as a janitor all her life and being barred from any job that paid a living wage because those jobs were needed by men.

My grandfather was fooled into wishing he could have gone to high school instead of taking a job at a steel mill when he was fourteen after his father walked out on the family. Feminists tricked him into thinking that was kind of a raw deal.

Feminists put brains in my grandmother’s head. Fortunately, her parents were there to block her from going to college. And years later, when she got a part-time job at a university, her husband stepped in to remind her that what she really wanted was to be home in the evenings to serve him dinner.

There’s no question that feminists tricked my grandmother into joining the WACs.

When the manager at the department-store photo studio where my mother had her first job told her that he’d fire her if she didn’t sleep with him, it was probably feminists who fooled her into not liking it. It was definitely feminists who convinced her to march out into the lobby, where all the families were waiting to get their photos taken, and announce at the top of her lungs, “I’m not going to have SEX with you for this job!”

My mother’s a homemaker, and she’s also a feminist. This paradox has got to be more feminist skullduggery.

Feminists tricked me into drawing comic strips instead of having sex with musclemen in padded suits.

They’re nefarious!

Argenti Aertheri

Dracula — I wasn’t trying to comment on anyone else there, ymmv = definitely. But I’ve tried before, so having lethal means readily available is probably unwise — which is what d is really asking about I would think.

Bringing this back to gun control, the suicide rate is a whole lot higher than the “saved by having a gun” rate. “Globally, violence takes the lives of more than 1.5 million people annually: just over 50% due to suicide, some 35% due to homicide, and just over 12% as a direct result of war or some other form of conflict.” wiki

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Argenti

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

I did a quick search for firearm deaths and found http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/2/214.full.pdf and http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/1998/wd98_4-dt98_4/p3.html (woo hoo, Canadian site). Note the high suicide by gun rates. I don’t think I will be wildly inaccurate in assuming that “suicide by cop” isn’t included in the suicide rates.

I was trying to find estimates of accidental shootings in the home (e.g. mistaking family member for a burglar) vs. actual self-defence (I still raise an eyebrow at that term), but couldn’t locate anything.

Dracula:

VoIP, I just wanna say thank you for all that. It was a brilliant takedown.

Thanks, man. It’s been a while since I really stomped on a dude on the internet. Feels good, man.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Back to gaming, when I played WoW (which I quit due to being sick of the vile comments and also the shift away from targetting casual gamers) in the vanilla version, women tended to play healers, and the men tended to play dps and tanks. I had so much fun in Molten Core runs where, as a holy pally, my entire role for 4 hours was to use cleanse repeatedly. I also remember seeing a general chat where two males (I assume) were convinced that when you rolled a female character, it had weaker base stats than the male equivalent.

I also loved how my pally had the magic plate armour that bounced in the breast area when she breathed (let alone did anything more energetic).

Obviously, this was all part of the deep feminazi plot to…. maintain gender stereotypes?

VoIP

And Dracula, if you feel uneasy about having a gun at your home or on your person, I think some gun clubs let you use the firearms they have on the premises. I might be pulling this out of my ass, though.

Argenti Aertheri

“It’s also important to remember that most “saved by having a gun” fantasies involve just as many people dying as the “not saved” version of same.”

That’s why I only dug as far as the homicide vs suicide rates. I figure whether you die, or your attacker dies, it evens out math wise.

Grah, I have nothing competent currently, I’m fuming over the aftermath of NYC’s dyke march.

Dracula
Dracula

VoIP – I think it’s mostly a hypothetical concern? It’s not some big fear I have or anything, and it might alleviated if I get more familiar with them. I dunno.

Being low on funds right now, I don’t really have the option of buying one anyway. I’ve actually thought about getting an airsoft pistol as a starting off point. They’re cheaper than I thought they would be.

The truly relevant part from Kiwi girl’s pdf —

Canada 1992, firearm homicide, age adjusted = 0.68; firearm suicide, age adjusted = 3.33; homicide, age adjusted = 2; suicide, age adjusted = 11.51. Those are per 100,000.

So just looking at homicide vs suicide rates where a firearm was used, that’s nearly a 5x comparative risk — you’re 5 times more likely to die by your own hand if you die by gun. And looking at the general rates (which is only sort of relevant to AFLAC’s pet topic) — 5.75x.

In other words, questioning the suicide risk of a gun owner is probably a damned good idea.

Argenti Aertheri

Another comparative risk from those numbers — firearm homicide, age adjusted = 0.68; homicide, age adjusted = 2 —

2 – 0.68 = 1.32 / .0.68 = 1.94 — if you’re the victim of a homicide, it’s nearly twice as likely to not involve a firearm, as compared to involving a firearm. It would seem that the adage of being a knife to a gun fight is kind of moot in other words. (Also, the US’s homicide rate is so high as to be an outlier, maybe we could learn something here.)

being? bringing >.<

Let's see if the antihistamine's drowsiness as anti-insomia pill does anything tonight, because damned do I need sleep.

Dracula — an airsoft gun at close range fucking stings, and would very likely be relatively effect for self defense. My brother owns a couple and had to test one on himself, when he screamed my father insulted his "whimpiness" and demanded to be shot with it, because he could take it like a man — he had all he could do not to scream himself, and certainly couldn't manage to cross the kitchen to disarm my brother. The best part of this story though is that my mother wanted to know why I didn't call her at work so she could come home and watch this, about the only time she didn't have a parental fit about "not in the house!" (Yes, my brother is a weird one, think Chris Griffin and you'll get the general picture)

But yeah, it isn't easy to advance on someone who's pelleting you with airsoft pellets.

Kyrie
Kyrie

I go for a night and 4 new pages of comments! Can’t read them all. 🙁

Anyway, it’s funny that, in a few month apart, we had trolls tellings us that all men in all movies are:
– mountains of muscle, very intelligent, etc, ergo too perfect to identify with for most actual men. MISANDRY!!!!! (Mister A.)
– weak, stupid, slow (?), etc, ergo not a good role model for men. MISANDRY!!!!!!!!! (AFLAC)

Weak men in movies? Misandry! Strong men in movies? Misandry! No way we can win.

Meanwhile, I can’t help to laugh at Aflac: he (a cis man, presumably) put his manhood in the ownership of a gun. That’s Freud’s wet dream.

VoIP

That’s Freud’s wet dream.

ಠ_ಠ

Cliff Pervocracy

Man, I wish feminist pressure was the reason women had to work. Wouldn’t that be nice.

I work because food ain’t free.

No man yet has volunteered to pay all my expenses, and mathematically the majority of men can’t, and that’s not even accounting for the large number of men who do not want to be partnered with women and women who do not want to be partnered with men.

Pam
Pam

Admittedly late to the party, and perhaps I’ve missed something in the comments section, but if your wife, ACLAF, is so “stridently anti-feminist”, why does she not rebel against the feminist cabal that is forcing her to work outside the home and, y’know, stay home instead?

pillowinhell

Oh m fucking GoD! Did asswipe just complain that its such an injustice for native Canadians to be able to make their own rules in their own fucking land????????

Native people being given a few scraps from the table is SUCH an iNJUSTICE after being conquored, occupied, nearly genocidally wiped out, having their children stolen away and reprogrammed to loath themselves while being beatn,raped and abused in others forms, and having it made illegal to practice their own culture and religion and languages.

CassandraSays

So, to sum up. AFLAC objects to feminists speaking for women, but wants to speak for men, because he knows how they really feel, man. He also wants to speak for women, on account of his wife agreeing with him. He doesn’t watch TV, but somehow this does not change the fact that he knows that TV is super anti-male. And for some inexplicable reason he thinks that we should care about his feud with some other MRA.

I’m confused. Why does this person consider himself so important, and why are we supposed to care? So he interpreted various cultural messages in an overly broad way, partly because he doesn’t appear to be capable of understanding that different women want different things from their male partners, and now that he has a partner whose preferences fit a different stereotype to the one that he’d previously assumed to be true, he’s pissy at feminism for not appropriately training him to please his current partner? This person is ridiculous. Also boring. Why don’t we ban trolls for being boring?

About the height thing, I do think that overall it’s easier for a man to be tall than to be short, in terms of dating, if he’s hetero. That’s not a monolithic thing though – I know some women who actively prefer short men because they’re teeny themselves. I’ve dated guys from 5ft5 to 6ft5, and although I’d say I have a slight preference for men in the 5ft9-6ft2 range, as long as they’re appealing in other ways it’s all good until they get to be, say, more than a foot taller than me, at which point things get awkward (it’s rare that I meet men who’re shorter than me). The things that I tend to key in on (pretty faces, bodies much leaner than is considered ideal in North America, very little body hair and none at all on the chest/back, friendliness, kindness) haven’t even come up in this conversation, which I think is a pretty good indication of how far from the reality of women’s actual preferences this kind of generalizing usually is. Any time you start saying “women like this” or “men prefer that” you’re generalizing to the point that it’s pretty much meaningless when it comes to the preferences of individuals. If someone doesn’t like the kind of person that you are in either body or personality, they’re not the right person for you, go find someone else. Trying to mould youself into some sort of idea of what’s generically supposed to be attractive is pointless, because if it’s not really you the other person will figure that out eventually.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Ok so I finally caught up, what a waste of time that was. 🙁 Oh well.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Oh and to reply to pecunium of fuck knows how many posts ago, yeah I didn’t really think of the implications of an edit button there. I blame the tiredness.

Preview would still be nice though, at least then we could check our formatting (especially the blockquotes) are working before posting.

ACLAF
ACLAF

“That’s really different, you silly billy! You said you need to ask permission from your previous sexual partners, and that’s wrong on two counts: you need to inform previous conjugal partners. Now why on earth the country of Canada thinks your ex has a right to know that you’ve got a gun now, I HAVE NO IDEA.”

Excepting of course for the fact that if your previous partner informs the RCMP that you shouldn’t have a gun, then you don’t get license. What is that, if not permission?

“So, my question is: why the hell have you not applied for a gun licence? Knowing what a kind and compassionate interlocutor you are, my guess is 16(e):”

Hey asshole? I have guns. I live in Canada. GASP! How did this happen? I seem to know a lot about the licensing process… IT IS A MYSTERY… But then, you didn’t read that part of my previous comment, did ya now?

YOU are the person who said, “DURR! NAW! IT’S EASY TO HAZ A GUN IN KANADA! LOOK AT WHAT DIS GUY FROM TWO HOURS AGO SAID! HURDURR! HUR-DURR!”

I said, “Actually, it’s pretty damned hard to get licensed.” And, you called me a liar for saying so, when you didn’t have all the facts.

It’s rather astonishing that you don’t have the mental capacity to be embarrassed.

blitzgal

Stop feeding the troll.

Kyrie
Kyrie

But he’s a bit funny!

CassandraSays

He’s so long-winded and trollish, though. Can’t we vote him off the island?

nwoslave

@Ruby Hypatia
“And good for Anita for raising $130,000.”

Precious princess cries that her feelings were slighted in the virtual world of the internet and get’s rewarded.

viola

Bored now.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Can we keep him as a pet?

CassandraSays

Only if you promise to feed him, walk him, and clean up after him when he pees on the rug. Or maybe when he shoots holes in the walls.

pecunium
pecunium

ACLAF: I’m against feminism because as a young person, I felt…

That’s the second time you’ve mentioned how your perceptions made you an anti-feminist. How you thought it made you feel.

That’s not the fault of feminism. If (and it’s a big if; have fun with it) you could show that feminism is actually so all pervasive, you’d have a better case.

We don’t deny that you feel that way. We say the things you point to are bunk. That it wasn’t feminism that provided all those elements.

Yet, special treatment under the law, in our schools, on American college campuses, in government budgets abounds

Citations needed.

And she blames feminism for forcing her into a work-force that she doesn’t want anything to do with.

Really? I wouldn’t. Not unless she can show that feminism is the reason real wages (pretty much everywhere) have been dropping for the past thirty years. It’s not as if SAHW wife has ever been the norm.

So… citations needed.

Who else pushed to get women into the workforce as a part of an equality program?

No one. Feminists said that women in the workforce ought not be limited, nor underpaid. That’s not the same as saying all women need to have jobs.

pecunium
pecunium

ACLAF:

“Dude, we’re basing wtf we know about you on what you’ve said in this thread.”

False. Several have made assumptions about my desire to gender-police. I have no such desire.

Oh for Christ’s sake. You said feminism was (and is) against men being manly men. You said you don’t hate women, just those uppity one’s who are feminists.

That’s gender policing.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

Gee, A Canadian Conservative Claiming Libertarianism has anti-Native bias. Color me surprised.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

So. Feminism bad because Canadian gun control laws and Homer Simpson. Also something about 2 hour cunnilingus sessions, which admittedly does seem a trifle ambitious. And “woman” doesn’t mean the same as “feminist”. But “feminists” made Canada’s gun control laws because it was seen as a “women’s issue”. But “woman” doesn’t…

Ah, forget it. Anyone want to talk about Dr Who? I hear that the first episode of the new series is set to feature the legendary Special Weapons Dalek. No goddamn Canadians will be emasculating that bad boy, no sirree.

CassandraSays

Would another bra sizing derail work to banish GunTroll, do you think?

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

The answer, of course, is that feminists aren’t forcing his wife to work outside the home. She’s a stay at home wife and mother.

Somehow the fact that she wasn’t a stay at home wife and mother prior to marrying and having children with someone who could financially support that decision is the fault of feminism. Or something.

ACLAF
ACLAF

If a young guy approached me and said, “ACLAF, how can I improve my chances with women? If I want to be happy, with women, what can I do?” I know how I’d answer. I’d tell him, to the degree that a person can change these things, “Be at least a little taller than average, say 5’11”-6’2″. Have broad shoulders, work out, and don’t allow yourself to get too fat. Have a good job, make decent money, and display your symbols of your status. Appear in public well-dressed, and keep yourself well-groomed.” because on average, women tend to like these things more than their opposites.

Naturally, doing these things aren’t a guarantee, and not every woman is going be favorably inclined, regardless of anything I tell him. For example: it doesn’t make a difference what clothes he puts on, he’s not going to attract a woman who has a gender object preference that is say, women and not men. C’est la vie. But I believe, and I don’t even know why it’s controversial that on average, these things would help because, women tend to like men who display these traits. Again, not a guarantee, and of course, women aren’t slaves to their hormones, nor a monolith.

I don’t understand what’s wrong with this idea.

But the reaction in these comments to these relatively uncontroversial ideas has been… WTF?

“OMFG! YOU’RE GENERALIZING ABOUT WOMEN!! HOW DARE YOU! WOMEN LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS!”

And?

Yeah, I know there’s variation, and yeah, I know that women overlook things all the time in men they date. On average, doing these things is more helpful than not.

Wanna see me generalize about men? On average, men tend to like slender hour-glass figured women with well-defined, well-proportioned breasts, buttocks, long legs, long hair, and thick full red lips.

OMG! MEN ARE A MONOLITH TOO!

Hardly. However, females who display these traits are more likely to attract attention from a greater number of males. Will some men go for different things? Of course. Some men like blonde hair, some men don’t care in the slightest. On average, men tend to be favorably inclined towards a nice rack.

*GASP!* BUT I LIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT! MY MAN DOESN’T HAVE THESE TRAITS, YOU DON”T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!

Cool. Good for you. If your man, who’s never had broad shoulders suddenly started developing them, would you be angry, would you be pleased, or would you be indifferent? Again, on average, the trend is that if you’re average, you’re going to like the change.

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s all good!

What is NOT all good, is when that same young man says, “ACLAF, how can I improve my chances with women?” to say, “WOMEN LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS! THEY AREN”T A MONOLITH! THEY AREN’T THE BORG YOU DAMNED MISOGYNIST!” That doesn’t answer the question, and assumes all kinds of baggage about what this guy actually wants. And it’s not entirely honest.

Yet your repeated denials, and accusations of generalizing have demonstrated once again that not only is your average feminist entirely unrealistic and unwilling to accept anything about human nature, it also proves that you’re willfully, and deliberately agents who oppose human happiness, on human terms. A more primitive descriptor would be, evil.

pillowinhell

Maybe we could talk abut how Sherlock survived certain death, and how very impatient we’re getting waiting for the new season.

We could aslo talk about the the intricate and mundane details of childrearing now the kids aren’t in school…

CassandraSays

Yep, the perfect instruction to give to an advice-seeking young man is “be tall, but not too tall”. Because of course that’s something that’s under the control of the individual.

Also, guns, don’t forget about the importance of guns.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@ pillowinhell – yeah. And was the sniper in the last episode of Sherlock meant to be Col. Moran? Because that would be awesome!

indifferentsky

Well ok, more people in the labor market drives wages down, but let’s think about this.
I remember Rockin Mr. E’s first video on how we need to examine the impact of women working on the economy, and my comment was, “OH do black people next! Do black people next!”

The assumption is that the male is default and women are “taking” their jobs, not that human beings have a right to pursue what they like. Are companies more exploitative of women and do they take advantage of lower wages and a more pliable workforce? YES (I am speaking globally here, think maquiladoras and the Philippines,etc.) But we’re really supposed to say, ok ladies, you have vaginas, so… no work for you, you’re messing everything up.

But also like I kept saying before women have always worked, we’ve always had the Pink Ghetto. If we want to raise our ability to sell our labor on a market more competitively then incentives for NOT bearing children are in order. South Korea has a low population growth issue, so the government gives incentives for breeding, the US should NOT. South Korea has a very competitive job market, still though but that’s their peculiar situation related to what they manufacture sell, and the Asian financial crisis, etc.

But yeah, extra human beings mean lower wages, and that’s entirely besides the point.
If this woman he’s talking about think feminists drove her to work, why doesn’t she get off her lazy ass and get a man capable of providing? lol. I mean she’s clearly not against that.
And maybe she’s greedy and materialistic. I mean why not live simply? Is she “needing” to work so that she can by expensive lipsticks? Inquiring minds want to know what this feminist hating chick feels entitled to cashola for? Sounds like an ungrateful harpie to me.

I’m going to be living in the part of the country where ONE income can support a family of four, thank you very much. I have a disabled son that needs caring for, so what’s this woman complaining about working for? Go where the cash is, and if she’s not married, I call bullshit on the whole angle, her complaint makes no sense for any time period.

BOOM

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

@CassandraSays – What’s the problem? Whenever someone asks me for advice, I tell them “reconfigure your skeleton”.

Does it solve their problem? No. But they stop fucking pestering me for advice, and I’m prepared to call that a win.

CassandraSays

I know nothing about Sherlock, so how about an old favorite derail? What did everyone have for dinner last night, and what are you planning to make today? I had pad kee mao and pad prik khing (with, respectively, pork and chicken) for dinner, and I’m thinking that if it’s hot again today I’ll probably make a light pasta with sausage, mushrooms, and spinach for dinner this evening.

I’ve been kind of obessing about these particular ice cream bars recently, so I may go get some more later today. Normally I don’t like artificial melon-flavored things, but these are to die for.

1 6 7 8 9 10 14