Uncategorized

“Hatred and anger are power,” and other thoughts on women and gaming from Spearheaders

Evil incarnate

Over on The Spearhead, W.F. Price celebrates the harassment directed at Anita Sarkeesian’s Tropes Against Women video project as a sign of a powerful new backlash against the evils of feminism, a backlash he’s proud to be a part of. Dudes being obnoxious to a woman on the internet: Men’s Rights at its finest.

Oh, sure, Price acknowledges, some of the attacks on her were “juvenile” – and thus not as effective as they might otherwise have been — and the controversy did enable Sarkeesian to raise more than $130,000 for her project, but Price even sees this as a victory of sorts:

As for Sarkeesian’s success, we should be happy about it, because I can’t think of a more worthless way to spend over a hundred thousand dollars than in finger-wagging over video games. For one thing, it’s sure to piss even more guys off, and the game industry is very competitive, so her documentary (now expanded to 12 parts!) will likely have zero effect on production and consumption of this form of entertainment. The feminists are simply pissing all the money away, and that’s fine, because this time they’re paying for it themselves.

No question about it: those grapes were definitely sour.

Naturally, the Spearhead regulars were overjoyed by these new signs of, er, progress. Here are some highlights from the discussion that followed; lest I be accused once again of cherry-picking outliers, each and every one of the comments I quote below got literally dozens of net upvotes. This is what these guys really think.

Mojo offers a sort of backlash manifesto:

Feminists will never understand that it is -they- who are the oppressors. They cling to their delusion that they are the ‘underdog’ against the system, even as they control the system.

Revolution requires an enemy class to attack … this is seen as justified when the enemy class controls the system. But feminism is perpetual revolution. So what happens when they gain control over the system? They continue to attack the enemy class, i.e. men, thinking they are striking the next blow against the patriarchy, when what they are doing is more like a pogrom.

Yep, he went there.

Now -they- are the system, they are able and more than willing to intimidate, humiliate, expropriate. It will get indefinitely worse if they have their way. Liberal feminism leads -necessarily- to radical feminism.

Still, we don’t need feminists to ‘understand’ that they are the persecutors (I imagine some of them know this full well and are just misandrist sadists, little Eichmanns). It doesn’t matter what they think or know or understand. What matters is what -we- think, know and understand, and how we are going to act on it.

So … like the swivel-eyed feminist lunatics progressing from attempted assassinations to laying the foundations for institutional and legal abuse … I ask you – what are we going to DO with this knowledge and awareness beyond changing online discourse? …

Thinking like a leftist, though: why not attach ourselves to the GOP in order to subvert its gender politics and radicalize it in the MRA direction? That kind of approach has worked wonders for leftists and their infiltrations into public institutions …

Huh. Reactionary anti-feminists attaching themselves to the Republican Party? No one’s ever thought of that before.

Keyster offers some equally, er, innovative thinking:

Feminism has failed because women as a group adopted the notion of “equality” with men, while stubbornly clinging to their sexual/reproductive power over men. Had feminism truly helped women “realize their greatness”, there’d be far more great women. Instead there’s just more feminists. It’s run it’s course over 3 generations and it’s out of time to prove itself righteous.

The original “male chauvanist pigs” of the early 70′s, were right all along. Women are biologically and chemically ill-equipped to be men. If the Creator had meant women to be more like men, he wouldn’t have given them the ability to bring forth life from their bodies.

Ryu not only embraces the backlash, but seems perfectly fine with the notion that the Men’s Rights movement is a hate movement:

Good. Hatred and anger are power. Whenever you hear someone say “stop the hate”, it is a call to throw down your greatest weapons.

Young Guy purports to speak for all young guys (manginas presumably excepted):

If feminists think men, especially young men, are angry, they don’t know the half of it. As a 26 year-old male, I have seen this society bend over backwards to accommodate women all the time.

The school curriculums are geared toward female success. Schools have countless women’s programs. Female teachers can be as hateful as they want towards male students without facing consequences. People cheer when girls succeed in school, but jeer when boys succeed in school. Even though females have every advantage in the education system, they somehow still have the audacity to complain. They take fluff majors but don’t realize anyone with less than half a brain could pass classes in the humanities and social sciences.

What makes so many MRAs such proud yahoos?.

Oh, and just look at the workplace. Sexual harassment laws give women freedom to dress slutty and still have the nerve to complain when men sneak a peek. If you are a man who has a female co-worker, you have to walk on eggshells everyday or else you can get fired because the twat in the other room got her panties in a bunch over something minor you said. You can be a man who has busted his ass everyday to succeed in your chosen profession, only to see it mean nothing because some woman who was nothing more than an affirmative action hire. If this isn’t bad enough, you get these useless women who are subpar, yet they still never shut up about breaking through the mythical glass-ceiling that they didn’t break and didn’t exist in the first place.

Working men, forever cursed by subpar women.

Also, I have really had enough of women dragging this country down with their dead-weight. Female soldiers, police officers, and firefighters are liabilities. No, all you ladies in these jobs, you aren’t heroes. I am going to go insane if I hear one more female soldier, police officer, or firefighter cry about not getting the respect she thinks she deserves. She doesn’t get respect because she doesn’t deserve respect. The military, law enforcement, and firefighters would be A LOT better off if women stopped lowering the bar to astronomical proportions.

“Lowering the bar to astronomical proportions?” Young Guy here has clearly not yet mastered the fine art of metaphor.

He blabs on a bit longer before wrapping up with:

The backlash is not only real, but it is well-deserved. Apologies won’t erase the damage which has been done. Acting like what happened because of feminism either didn’t happen or was minor is a slap in the face. Saying women have suffered from feminism just as much as men is like spitting in the faces of all the men who have suffered ten lifetimes of pain because of feminism.

Not one, not two, not five, but ten lifetimes of pain? MRAs really are the world’s greatest drama kings.

Andrew S., meanwhile, seems a little confused as to what feminists would like to see happening in the video game industry:

It will be interesting to see if feminists can ruin the gaming industry like they ruin pretty much everything else. There is a lot of money being made off “gamers,” and even guys like me who play the occasional game but aren’t hardcore contribute a lot of money to the industry.

I doubt there are a lot of young guys and men out there who are going to want to play games that involve a bunch of screaming feminists, and where the object of the game is to destroy the “evil patriarchy.” The truth is guys who play games want their female characters to be either hot, large breasted, ass kicking types, or sexy non-feminist types that you save. If the gaming industry changes this dynamic to much due to Feminist/liberal pressure they will destroy a cash cow. And feminism will have yet another “victory.”

Unrestricted and uncriticized access to giant tittied video game ladies: a sacred men’s right!

Kevin evidently speaks for many when he says he wants video games to remain a boys club:

Video games are pretty much the only place that feminism can’t invade unless the principle consumers of them want it. You don’t have to play with girls, or listen to girls, or do other pansy shit. You probably can’t leave a football team and join a different one that has no women, you sure as hell can do that online. Don’t like all the teamwork talk? Play by yourself.

Feminists don’t like video games because; they can’t make them, they can’t force you to buy them or play them even if they did, they couldn’t ruin the experience for you unless you wanted them to.

You can do anything feminists don’t want you to do, and best of all you’re rewarded for it.

Anonymous Age 70 doesn’t even play video games, but he was pleased to learn that you can shoot ladies in them:

Speaking of video games, I am reminded of my son 8 or 10 years ago. I visited him, and he had some kind of shoot-em-up video game. He was partnered with a dearie, and the instant the game started, he always put a bullet in the middle of her forehead. Then, he’d laugh as if it were the funniest thing ever.

I told him he was a sick man, but I was also laughing as if it were the funniest thing ever.

Seriously, he told me he performed better with her dead than needing to be protected.

A great analogy for marriage 2.0, yes?

Women, can’t live them, can’t shoot them in the head. Except in video games!

Criticizing video games is misandry!

pecunium

ACLAF: That’s the case in the USA as well. And that’s perfectly fine, I don’t have a problem with that. The adage goes, “better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.”

Really? Because that’s a fast trip to prison (though the Harper Gov’t is big on increasing mandatory minimums, so all those grade 8 cons can learn a trade).

No nonsense self-defense

The law gives the criminals a huge advantage if they decide to prey on me.

Again, no. Structurally they have the advantage. The attacker (no matter what the circumstance) always has the advantage if the attack is carried out in the time/place of the attackers choosing.

If it’s at a place/condition of the defender’s choosing, the advantage shifts.

But if I come at you, when you are unawares, the odds are you are going to get pounded. If you, after the pounding, elect to shoot me (because you could finally get to your gun, and your blood was up) you are going to prison.

And that is a lot more common than you think. I have a friend who son spent 16 years in prison (Folsom Prison you may have heard of it. Johnny Cash had a song about it) because after a fight he took a shot, and hit the guy in the back.

2nd degree murder.

Nobinayamu
Nobinayamu

Nobinayamu — yeah that’s what I had taken from what Hilary Rosen said — that Ann Romney has never worked for pay and thus does not understand the economic realities of working for pay. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, it’s way past my bedtime.

I totally understood what you meant. And, as a seasoned political strategist and lobbyist, Rosen should have been more careful and more clear with her language. But I understood what she meant.

For the record, I think the “mommy-wars” are divisive bullshit.

But this jack ass wants to change the definition of “work” as it suits his increasingly feeble arguments in an attempt to prove his repeatedly debunked assertion that feminists want to force his wife to work outside the home.

Ithiliana

@Acronym Troll: And I don’t need to convince you that feminists drafted Canada’s current gun laws, minus C-19. I believe it to be true. And if you don’t, I don’t care. It changes nothing.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK! Then why the fuck have you been posting over and over and over and over and trying to convince us EEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL feminists that evil feminists are keeping your gun toting rights down?

WHY WHY WHY WHY?

We don’t believe you. We won’t believe you. We don’t care what you think. It changes nothing.

Viscaria
Viscaria

A LONG AND BORING HISTORY OF THE CANADIAN WOMEN OF THE VISCARIA FAMILY

I had three Canadian great-grandmothers. They were all plains farmwives, which means they fucking worked. Everyone works on a farm, even if back then the man was the “farmer” and the woman was the “farmer’s wife”. Everyone works on a farm. The work is often gender-segregated, but if you think the women got the easy jobs I invite you to pluck a chicken one day. Then, I invite you to keep plucking chickens for 5 hours or so. Enjoy. (My other great-grandmother worked too, but she was American. Like many Irish-American immigrants and their descendants, she worked in factories all of her life.)

My grandmothers grew up on those same plains farms, which means they worked on those farms as children, because fucking everybody works on a farm. But after that, their stories became quite different. At 16, my maternal grandmother married my grandfather, a member of the upper-middle class. Because of her family’s social class, she spent the 50s living the life that you 50s fetishists seem to think everybody lived back then: she stayed home and took care of her 5 children. A very “typical” 50s lifestyle. In reality, of course, that lifestyle wasn’t at all typical. You just hear about it all the time because the narratives of middle-class white people are privileged above other narratives.

My other grandmother worked various jobs until she married my grandfather at 22 — nannying, clerical work, etc. Then she got married, and she kept working, because working class people have to work. It wasn’t optional then, just like it isn’t optional now. The biggest difference is that now she would have the option of higher-paying jobs that were reserved for men when she was working through the mythologized 50s (and beyond).

My mom worked some, and stayed home some, because she (like her mom) had the class privilege to choose. If my bio-dad had bothered to do any child care or other household labour, she might have worked more when we were young, but she wasn’t a superhero.

AFLAC, how many generations back do you have to look to find working women in your family? Working women who, like your wife, didn’t have the luxury of choosing to stay home? I seriously doubt that they don’t exist. Are you white? Ask a friend who is a POC if their mother and their grandmothers worked. Single-income households have always been an anomaly.

pecunium

ACLAF: If a young guy approached me and said, “ACLAF, how can I improve my chances with women? If I want to be happy, with women, what can I do?” I know how I’d answer. I’d tell him, to the degree that a person can change these things, “Be at least a little taller than average, say 5’11″-6’2″. Have broad shoulders, work out, and don’t allow yourself to get too fat. Have a good job, make decent money, and display your symbols of your status. Appear in public well-dressed, and keep yourself well-groomed.” because on average, women tend to like these things more than their opposites.

Hermn… 5’9″ 120 lbs, net imcome per annum of less than 30,000. I am well groomed, and dress well; if a bit idiosyncratically.

I’m doomed. I don’t know how I’ve managed to have as much sex (or as many long term partners) as I have.

. But I believe, and I don’t even know why it’s controversial that on average, these things would help because, women tend to like men who display these traits. Again, not a guarantee, and of course, women aren’t slaves to their hormones, nor a monolith.

I don’t understand what’s wrong with this idea.

Pretty much everything, from the faux distancing (of course not all women, just so many that to not do those things is to need to go to PUA gurus and get lessons, etc.) to the essentialism, to the mock understanding, to the self-pitying, “I don’t see what the controversy is”.

The controversy that lots of people disagree with you. Since you are making blanket statements that means,in simple english, You Are Wrong.

And doing it on the internet, where everyone can see.

pecunium

Cassandra: I know nothing about Sherlock, so how about an old favorite derail? What did everyone have for dinner last night,

We had company over (my partner was rehearsing, and their is her other partner, so I was cooking for five).

I did a mock fricassee of chicken (fried leg quarters on the skin side, placed them on some sliced zucchini, and diced onions in a schlemmertopf; after dusting them with alder smoked salt).

Made a romaine and cuke salad, with onions and tomatoes on the side (nightshade and raw onion allergy), and an apple cider vinaigrette with dijon and herbs de provence.

I also made artichokes (simple steaming) , and went out back to get some tarragon for the mayonaise I made to go with them (again, mustard, some cider vinegar, and a dash of the 25 percent super vinegar, one egg yolk, and about 3/4rs cup olive oil).

Green beans on the side.

pecunium

ACLAF: So, where can I find information on how this is gender policing?

I don’t know. I heard about this thing called Google… it’s on some other thing called the internet. You could try that.

You might also try an Open University course on gender roles in modern society.

Magical Laura (@_magical_laura)

“Try being a short man some time, and see how much female attention you get.”

Blah blah blah, my boyfriend is short and a lottttt of girls are into him. He has had sex with alot of women. When we go out, girls hit on him. He is funny and charming. I am a ‘chubby’ girl with a big nose and a lot of guys are into me. Most people are not conventionally attractive, and most people do get laid.

pecunium

ACFLAC: According to feminists, Ann Romney, a SAHM never worked a day in her life. Lovely.

One could argue that Rosen was saying Anne Romney never had to work to eat; that she never had a job of necessity, and so she (like her husband) doesn’t understand the issues which face non-rich people in the US>

But it’s still only one feminist. According to one non-feminist (Phyllis Schafley) even what work she did was wrong.

So that’s evened up.

Feel better?

Now, go find a real citation, one that shows a trend of belief among feminists. For extra credit you can show them trying to legislate stay at home motherdom into illegality.

Magical Laura (@_magical_laura)

Also, I live in the UK where gun control is very strictly enforced. I have never seen a gun. No one I know owns a gun. I am happier this way.

blitzgal

More short complaints? Is duck boy simply a new incarnation of one of our banned friends?

blitzgal

Also, Ann Romney was being held up as a knowledgeable voice who is qualified to speak about the economic issues that face the average American woman. She is not and never has been. She has lived a life of economic luxury and has never had to make tough choices about paying bills or buying groceries, about going to the doctor or keeping the lights on. The Romneys wrote off $70K in costs associated with their dressage horses. They do NOT know a fucking thing about the average American’s life and never will. The “liberals disrespect stay at home mothers” meme is bullshit Republican spin.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

*Nonsense post*

All this talk of ducks reminds me of a game I saw the other day where you played a character called “Bread Duck” (a duck with a body that was a loaf of bread), and you went around saving “Bagel Cats” (cats with bodies that are bagels).

That is all.

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

I always thought PUAs were at best “make yourself as attractive as possible and talk to lots of women until you get one that’s interested” and at worst “seek out insecure women who you can bully into sex”. The fact that some PUAs are able to find success doesn’t mean that every woman is into them, just that they talk to enough women to get some successes.
Essentially, they become human spam. Spam “works” too — it wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t profitable — but I can still say definitively that it doesn’t work on ME.

Kyrie
Kyrie

I don’t know if “make yourself visible by wearing silly hats” fit in the “at best” or “at worst” category.

dirtyhippiefeet
dirtyhippiefeet

“Oh really? Well, first of all, dirtyhippiefeet MAY have gotten their firearms license as part of their high school curriculum. But then again, I don’t know dirtyhippiefeet’s age. They didn’t specify that particular fact.

They may well be ignorant of just how much times have changed in this country. I can assure you, that no highschool in my particular city offers the Canadian Firearms Safety course as part of its regular curriculum.”

I graduated high school in 2005, and as far as I know my alma mater still includes the hunting course/CORE in its curriculum.
and you don’t have to “track down your previous sexual partners to ask permission to get a gun”. when you apply for a firearms license you’re required to provide contact info for all your exes from the last two years, so that they can be informed that you’re getting a firearm, you know, just in case you’re abusive/murderous/revengey…
one of my exes applied for his firearms license and let me know that I might be contacted about it, but I never was, and he got his license anyway. so… I don’t know if maybe it doesn’t happen all the time, or if Saskatchewan is super lax or what have you.

I guess I just can’t figure out why you’re so whiny about not being able to get a gun. I literally do not know anyone who wants to own a gun who can’t. Most people I know either own/use guns because they want to, or don’t because they don’t. also people I know with guns aren’t all “This is to PROTECT MY FAMILEE from HYPOTHETICAL IMAGINARIES”, they’re more “Want to see pictures of the buck I shot last year? He was enormous!” or “If I tell the conservation officer that the kermode bear was charging my dog will I not get fined for shooting it?”

Ithiliana

@Dirtyhippiefeet: I gather Acronym Troll does own a gun.

But he’s still unhappy about…..things.

He does keep his ammo separate from his gun.

But he’s still unhappy about……things.

Where things mean all the evil feminist inspired laws that keep him from being able to PRACTICE and be a GOOD gun owner and save his life when the little but larger than 0 chance of being attacked happens.

I may be wrong–it’s hard to winkle out actual facts from his blather of opinions and over generalizations–but I’m pretty sure he’s stated several times he has a gun.

But still……FEMINISTS!

The technical term for all of this is goal-post moving.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

cloudiah

Ooh, short & sweet Mad Libs!

And I don’t need to convince you that [plural noun] [past tense verb] [noun]’s [noun]. I believe it to be [adjective]. And if you don’t, I don’t care. It [verb] [noun].

And last night’s dinner was almond-crusted redfish with grits and summer squash.

Off to work!

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Pork chop in tomato sauce, boiled potatoes, some form of entirely forgettable vegetable.

I’m eating the parental cooking again, and suddenly my appetite improves…

Derail derail: what actually is a grit? I could google it, or I could ask here and cause conversation that isn’t fixated on CATFLAP.

pecunium

He blames feminists that he can’t get a permit to carry his gun around when he leaves the house.

Because.. well that’s where it breaks down. He also blames feminism for his not feeling manly. Having a gun on him, when he’s walking around, makes him feel more manly (he is “Able To Protect His Family”, and he has a nice pistol to prove it.

That, I think is the real problem for him. He can’t know (secretly) that he’s more manly than all the dudes who don’t have guns.

Or something.

It’s not as if he’s actually responded to my critiques of his thinking on the subject. You know, my experience (which apparently is less relevant than his. His experience, after all, gave him feelings. Mine is boring, it offers facts. Facts which run counter to his feelings).

Nope, he can’t PRACTICE. because the nasty PP (presumptively Ottawa. Oh lord, if he’s in Prince Edward County I was in his neighborhood last week)won’t let him use the facilities he needs to do it.

Never mind that most of them don’t require ammunition (I hate to think what my expenses would be if I were to live fire all the time… couple of hundred a month, at least; and with no great increase in marksmanship. It’s possible he’s such a poor shot that he needs a lot more work on the fundamentals, but in that case he certainly ought not have a carry permit).

I get the feeling he doesn’t know if he’d get turned down, and just assumes it, because FEMINISTS.

Fun fact. In Calif., Los Angeles County, it was almost impossible to get a carry permit. The Sheriff (a reactionary right-wing sort; name of Sherman Block) had a secret policy of denying them.

He was not a feminist. He was actually pretty anti-feminist.

But the law looked pretty simple, anyone who wanted could apply. He just had them all turned down. Not one permit in 15 years, in a population of almost 10 million.

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

1. Fuck you.
2. I don’t want to be ‘a man’, I want to be me.
3. I don’t have first-hand experience of this, but spawning does not impede your ability to use a controller. So, see #1.
4. If I, as a person, were meant to ‘bring forth life from [my] body’ then I would not have issues relating to spawning or being perceived as such.

I do like the image of the ‘gamer Lakshmi’ though, that’s cool. It’s all Nintendo!

pecunium

Cassandra: Has anyone figured out how the guns relate to the issue of some men being short? That was an odd topic shift.

Because the real issue here is how manly our poor dude feels.

pecunium

Morkai: Grits are dried hominy (a type of preserved corn, done with lye), which are then ground and boiled. Like semolina/farina/cream of wheat.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Cultural exchange!

Do you guys have Yorkshire puddings?

pillowinhell

Cream of wheat is so yummy! Imma make some right now!

*skips off to kitchen*

pillowinhell

We have yorkshire pudding in Canuckistan. I make them all the time, yummy.

Ithiliana

@Morkai: I’ve had grits since I moved to Texas, and I honestly cannot tell the difference between them and cream of wheat in taste or texture; the only difference is presentation (i.e. c. of wheat is usually served in a bowl with milk and sugar; grits are served on a plate next to ham and eggs or other breakfast protein items, often with butter on them, sometimes I’m offered syrup).

Ithiliana

@Yorkshire pudding: my mother’s four grandparents were all from Wales (immigrated as adults). So I grew up with Yorkshire pudding (YUM), and current cakes, and suet pudding and other things that my more generations in America friends didn’t have.

it’s too bloody hot here for the baking–but dang, I love a Yorkshire pudding!

pillowinhell

All hail the goddess caffiena, who dwelleth with the coffee machina.

Bows to her sixth cup of coffe for the day.

I didn’t get much sleep last night okay?

Ithiliana

Acronym Troll cannot even get his misogyny right: the idea of women’s essential difference from men didn’t spring full blown from Zeus’ forehead during the 1970s. It was firmly embedded in so-called western culture for several millennia (meaning we can find recorded EVIDENCE of it). There are variations on it over time (one of my favorites is how formal meaning for men only education will cause women’s wombs to come loose and zoom all around their bodies leading to CRAZYLADY hysteria). Yep, that’s one of my favorites. I giggled about that as I got all my postgrad degrees, bwawhahahahahahahah.

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Ithiliana
Ithiliana

(poked button too soon–there are wiki entries and such, but I like this review because it’s about a book that complicates things somewhat, and the review even more complicates things, but the discourse of women being inherently different from men is pretty oldy and moldy).

Pam
Pam

Ah yes, Hysteria and the Wandering Womb

pillowinhell

W:eeeeeee ZOOM!

If only Aristotle could see us now!

I love how human psychology works. Thousands of years of women getting shit done and men believing women couldn’t handle it because we’re just inheritantly fragile….. I guess women slaves handed their wombs in when the shackles were put on?

Plato might be pleased though..

cloudiah

What is a grit? Why, it is an extremely efficient delivery device for carrying butter and cheese. 🙂

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Cream of wheat sounds awfully like porridge made from wheat rather than oats.

(porridge may be the same as oatmeal, I’m not sure…)

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Random pudding tangent! Awesome. I love semolina pudding. We used to have it in school all the time and everyone always thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. Oh well, more for me. 😀 We used to have it with either jam or brown sugar, though syrup works too.

My contribution: rice pudding! You guys in the US have that too? Basically semolina-type-pudding-stuff but with pudding rice in it.

pillowinhell

Um? Porridge is made of wheat, oatmeal is made of oatmeal…at least in canada.

pecunium

All oatmeals are porridge, not all porridge is oatmeal.

Farina, faro, kasha, semolina, malt-o-meal cream of wheat, boiled millet, congee, are also porridges.

QuantumSparkle
QuantumSparkle

Hmm… Freudian interpretation? Makes sense to me now!
(rimshot)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Rice pudding! I never did like the British version though. By order of preference – Arab rice pudding first, then Indian, then everything else. Although Thai-style sweet sticky rice with coconut cream drizzled over it may just beat both.

Dracula
Dracula

I haven’t had grits in years. I may have to get some.

My dinner last night was a roast beef wrap sandwich with lettuce, tomato, cheese, mustard and mayo. Nothing fancy. Nice though.

(porridge may be the same as oatmeal, I’m not sure…)

Oatmeal is a kind of porridge.

BlackBloc (@XBlackBlocX)

>>>@Argenti Aertheri Concerning aboriginals, it’s a matter of law. I don’t like unequal treatment under the law. Sue me.

That’s like complaining that Germany not having the same laws as Canada is ‘unequal treatment under the law’.

Newsflash: the Canadian government has no legitimate authority over Native affairs. They have their own law. All Canadian law involving the Natives are treaties, in the sense that they are negotiated compromises between two different organizational entities with separate jurisdictions (two governments, though technically one is a state actor whereas the other is a non-state one). And even then, most of them the Canadian government just spits on and ignore.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Hmm. I have a feeling what I call porridge is what you call oatmeal, a type of porridge.

Rice pudding: nom.

The porridge/oatmeal thing is just reminding me of some maths I learnt recently. In graph theory, a tree is a type of forest.

jennydevildoll

Now, anger IS a power, because anger can become a catalyst to change the injustice that created it in the first place. See: the history of any struggle for equality, including feminism. But they’re saying what–they’re angry that they can’t verbally abuse women in video game forums but women gamers have no right to use their anger (presumably a result of this) to create a project or stand up for themselves in any way.

I’m not a fan of hippy-dippy “anger is bad and we should never have it”, but “i’m allowed to abuse you from my starting point of privilege and you have no right to feel angry in kind and say or do anything about it” just seems like BS.

I did kind of like that one MRA idea though, the one where they all go live on an island away from the rest of us? They should use their powerful anger as the catalyst to make that happen. A really really far away island.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I was annoyed at Rosin bashing Ann Romney, and the Feministe post housewifery . Yes, I realize they were specifically criticizing rich wives of the 1%, but they also bashed all stay at home moms for not going out and getting jobs for the feminist cause. They have no idea the reality of why some moms stay home, and it’s oftentimes because they can’t afford to work outside the home.

My last job was at a daycare, where the pay was $6 an hour. I would have had a raise to $7.25 when they raised the minimum wage, but that’s still crappy pay for taking care of 8 infants all day. I had no benefits, because the daycare wouldn’t let anyone work more than 35 hours a week, which would make you eligible for health insurance and paying for employee healthcare is not affordable for discount daycares. They wouldn’t let me bring my own baby to work without paying $125 a week. Do the math of 30 hours X $6.00, and then the cost of $125 X two kids. Why the hell would I stay at a job where I’m losing more money than I’m making? Plus you have to have a second car to have a job, you have to pay more taxes, and you have to wear store bought clothes rather than second hand ones at a job.

That’s why I disagreed so strongly with feminists like Rosin who have no clue what it’s like to make a decision based on money and not on what is the feminist ideal. I won’t let her judgmental scolding keep me from calling myself a feminist, though. I want feminism to be for all people that want gender equality, even if they make life choices that annoy her.

AFLAC, feminists are not all the same. There is a huge debate in feminism about Rosin’s piece. While people rightly point out that it’s classist to assume that all women can afford to stay home, it’s also classist to assume that all women can afford to work outside the home and send their kids to daycare.

It’s also infuriating that in these “mommy wars”, dads always get a free pass while moms always get criticized. Fuck that.

A tall woman
A tall woman

I feel like I need to blow AFLAC’s mind here…

I’m 5’11” and a former state title holder in a well-known pageant. (ie, I am “classically” good looking by most “standards” these MRA guys seem to find important). My current beau, whom I absolutely ADORE, is 3 inches shorter than me and 5 years younger. He’s also a programming geek who spends his free time creating mobile apps *for FUN*. He’s introduced me to the likes of Firefly (LOVE!), Star Trek, and comic books.

He’s short, slightly pudgy, and pasty white. And he couldn’t be any more handsome. You know why? Because he’s kind, charming, and thoughtful. (And quite witty!) Also, he’s not at all hung-up on his height. He’s confident and sees me as a partner, not as an object that is either to be scorned or worshiped based solely on my gender.

Kyrie
Kyrie

Jenny, I do agree that anger is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on its target it can be a wonderful tool to bring good change, to fight important battles and it can simply be, at time, the sanest reaction. Hatred, however – which is quite common among MRAs – is a destructive feeling, and I can’t imagine a situation in which it made things better.

1 8 9 10 11 12 14