a voice for men antifeminism crackpottery evil women FemRAs frontman fallacy grandiosity johntheother masculinity matriarchy misogyny MRA none dare call it conspiracy oppressed men patriarchy penises sex

A Voice for Men: Christianity is all about hating on dudes

Tools of the matriarchal feminazarchy?

If you want even more proof that the denizens of A Voice for Men live in Imaginary Backwards Land, let me draw your attention to a recent posting from FeMRA TyphonBlue and JohnTheOther. The post’s bland title, Men, and patriarchy in the church, belies the loopiness of this particular bit of theological argument, the aim of which is to prove that Christianity is and always has been about hating dudes.

Oh, sure, TB and JTO note, it might look like Christianity in its various forms has been a tad dude-centric. I mean, it’s based on the teachings of a dude. And there’s that whole “God the Father” thing. Oh, and Christian religious institutions have been almost always headed up by dudes. There has yet to be a Popette.

But apparently to assume that the people running something actually run that something is to indulge in what MRAs like to call “the frontman fallacy,” by which they mean that even though it looks like men run most things in the world it’s really the sneaky ladies who call the shots, somehow. TB/JTO, citing the aforementioned faux “fallacy,” ask:

Because Christianity has a male priesthood, is headed by a man and uses masculine language to refer to the God and humanity’s savior, does it necessarily follow that Christianity is male favoring?

Bravely, the two decide not to go with the correct answer here, which is of course “yes.” Instead, they say no. And why is this? Because Jesus didn’t go around boning the ladies.

Seriously. That’s their main argument:

[Christ] had no sexual life. This absence leaves no spiritual connection between the masculine body and the divine.

The Christ is sexless; presumptively masculine, but never actually engaging in any activity unique to his masculine body. …

The implicit stricture of making the female body the vessel of Holy Spirit while offering no corresponding connection between the divine and the male body creates a spiritual caste system with women on top and men on the bottom.

Also: Joseph didn’t bone Mary, at least not before she gave birth to Jesus.

The birth of Christ is without sin because, quite simply, it did not involve a penis. The entire mythology around the birth of Christ implicitly indicts male sexuality as the vector of original sin from generation to generation.

Uh, I sort of thought that the notion of Original Sin had something or other to do with Eve and an apple in the Garden of Eden. But apparently not:

Forget Eve. Forget the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and the Serpent. If all human women, tomorrow, conceived and gestated and gave birth without ever coming into contact with a penis, our race would be purged of original sin.

Pretty impressive theological revisionism from a couple of blabby video bloggers who apparently don’t know how to spell “canon.” (ProTip: “Cannon” refers to one of those tubey metal things you shoot “cannonballs” from.)

The two conclude:

Our culture’s war against masculine identity, male sexuality and fatherhood is an old one. That war arguably began as we adopted a faith which marginalizes the role of men in procreation, idolizing a story that removes them completely from the process. The exemplar of male virtue in this theology is a man who had no natural sexual expression, although his character is designated as male. And his primary purpose was to be flogged, literally tortured for the “crimes” of others, and then bound and nailed through his limbs, still alive to an erected cruciform scaffold, to die from shock and exposure on a hilltop. And we somehow manage to claim that this religion elevates men over women?

Well, yeah.

Rather than supremacy, Christianity provides to men the role of asexual stewards of women’s benefit, and sacrificial penitent, preaching the gospel of a female-deifying, male-demonizing faith. It is true that women have not historically been allowed to front this farce, but mostly because that would make the message too obvious.

What?

While some kinds of Christianity get rather worked up about the evils of premarital sex and/or birth control, I’m pretty sure married and/or procreative sex is a-ok with all Christians this side of the mother in the movie Carrie.  Even — well, especially — if it involves dudes. (I’m pretty sure the church fathers were never big proponents of lesbianism.)

And if women really run the show, despite men “fronting” the church, could you perhaps spell out just who these all-powerful women are? Like, some names perhaps? Who’s the lady puppeteer behind the pope?

They of course don’t offer any real-world evidence for this secret supposed matriarchy. Instead, they ramp up for a sarcastic ending:

But we continue to ignore all of this, and we entertain the farce that our religious institutions constitute a male-elevating, female oppressing patriarchy.

Yeah, tell us another one.

No point in telling you guys anything any more. Clearly you can twist any and all facts about the world to fit your increasingly weird and baroque fictions about men always being the most oppressed, past, present and future.

A Voice for Men is slowly but surely disappearing up its own ass.

jumbofish

I used to love Typhonblue years ago when I last heard of her. She goes places other MRAs won’t, because most MRAs aren’t yaoi fangirls. She’s been picking on St. Augustine for years for his homophobic/man-bashing belief that penises are yucky. Maybe the post in question was so boring because of her co-writer. I wish she were really let loose and fantasized about a cock-worshiping homoerotic pagan alternate history without Christianity.

Wut.

Fail.

jumbofisch

The Abrahamic faiths have always been tools to keep power from women, so to say that Christianity oppresses men and favors women is just plain stupid.

oh hai ruby. Still pretending to care about women’s rights? I thought some women deserved to be other’s “bitch”. Oppression should be for bad women amiright?

Sharculese

@jumbofish

well if theyre poor, then oppressing them is a-okay because that is Scientifically Correct

Kakanian
Kakanian

I guess… this is the point where one should say: “No, this is wrong and you are stupid.”

Because Jesus Christ.

Cliff Pervocracy

Oh hey Ruby, gotten bored of the “rape is awesome because I’M A FEMINIST DAMMIT” in the last thread and ready to play the “don’t bring up things I said a whole entire hour ago!” game in this thread?

Sharculese

she posted that at the same time she posted her last sneery defense in the other thread. this is her ‘i care so little about the fact that people here think i’m awful that i’m just gonna pretend it isn’t happening’ gambit

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

<blockquote?Since he was a man, we can assume that he had all the bodily functions of every other man which includes urination, erections, and nocturnal emissions.

Fail.

Okay, how is that fail?

marc2020
marc2020

The list of men these guys don’t consider to be real men is growing ever larger by the day it seems. I don’t know guys I’m not really feeling the love form the movement that is supposedly representing the needs of my gender is what I’m saying and I know this might sound a bit paranoid of me but sometimes it seems like your just out for your selves and this whole “we care about all men” thing is sort of a cover so that when people call you on your intolerant bullshit you have a convenient go to excuse.

Dracula
Dracula

I’m starting to think Ruby’s interest in feminism is based solely on a desire to not be personally insulted, and fuck everyone else. She’s basically the Brandon of feminism.

theladyzombie
theladyzombie

Wow. Okay then. I’ll append my original comment to say that if Jesus was a hetero, cis man without ED then we can assume he had all the bodily functions of every other man which includes urination, erections, and nocturnal emissions.

The intersex thing is intriguing. Some interpretations allege that Jesus was a spirit creature, or angel, before being born to a woman. I’ve heard some theologians say that angels are sexless and I’ve heard others say they are both. So it isn’t too far of a stretch to imagine Jesus was intersex.

But you know what would have been helpful? If you would have explained that rather than the “Fail” comment because I honestly didn’t realize what I said was that offensive. I apologize to anyone who I offended.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Yep, this sounds just like the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist. I remembered that JtO is all about conspiracy theories–he believes the CIA funded Gloria Steinem and feminism in order to destabilize society or some bullshit—so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Idylle
Idylle

I just wish I can post this goldmine a million times over there:
But I heard Elam is super dictatorial with his comments policy.

Also, a nugget of knowledge from Tertullian (160 A.D – 225 A.D), considered one of the great forefathers of Christianity:
“And do you not know that you (women) are (each) an Eve? The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in the age; the guilt must of necessity live, too. You are the devil’s pathway; you are the unsealed of that (forbidden) tree; you are the first deserter of the divine law; you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God’s image, man. On account of your desert – that is, death – even the Son of God had to die.”

Idylle
Idylle

Personally, Eve was one of the few Biblical female role models for me. Aside from Rahab, Abigail, and Judith.

Snowy
Snowy

You know, I’m not sure if you realize but you’re still using “every other man” as shorthand for cis man without ED. That’s what the fail is.

This comes across as a little entitled to me. What would be helpful is if you would educate yourself on these social justice issues and not expect marginalized people to do it for you.

theladyzombie
theladyzombie

Snowy – I do try. But I mess up from time to time because of the privilege I’m trying to tame. I understand that cis and able is not the default by any means.

jumbofisch

You misunderstand, not every man is healthy/young/cis its rude to count them in the “not man” category because of xyz reasons. There isn’t “every other men” men and “those random dudes who I don’t really count” men. There is just men which is a wide variety of people.

Passive progressiveness much? You aren’t really sorry, you are mad I said anything at all. You iz fail again

Falconer
Falconer

About Jesus having sex with women …

There’s an idea that Jesus was rescued from the cross, that while he seemed to die he was only unconscious, and that he was spirited away to Europe, where he married Mary Magdalene and had a family. His bloodline is said by some to have led through a lot of early French kings. This earthly existence would seem to me to contradict and be incompatible with his divinity, but then I’m of the opinion that if Jesus was in any part a divine being then he couldn’t have known what human existence was like, and if he wasn’t in any part divine then people shouldn’t worship him. He can’t be both God and human at the same time.

The idea of his blood passing through royal dynasties is generally adhered to only by people invested in the divine right of kings to rule, but it’s interesting to read about.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

TyphonBlue is a yaoi fangirl? This has so much potential! Do you think if we goaded her a bit she’d write Jesus/disciples smut with an MRA flavor? Because that would be the funniest thing ever.

jumbofish

@cassandra
Oh god…..I would read it then die.

I still have a hard time seeing her as a yaoi fangirl. That was a joke right??

kladle
kladle

@Falconer

that is a discredited conspiracy theory popularized by this psuedohistory book

*passive aggressive
No idea how that turned to passive progressive…..XD

jumbofisch

I would consider that to be passively being progressive too….

Dracula
Dracula

I’d assumed it was intentional. I think you’ve accidentally stumbled onto a useful bit of wordplay.

jumbofisch

I am using this (intentionally) from now on. Bless my terrible editing.

Sharculese

yeah, i thought that was intentional too, and i chuckled at it. anyway, i’m totally using it in the future.

scarlettpipistrelle

Did they ever mention about how in the Catholic church a priest has to be male because he’s an icon of Christ, and women can’t fill that role?

themisanthropicmuse
themisanthropicmuse

Yeah, considering the church actually held a meeting to decide if women actually had souls like men or if they did not like other animals (and we just barely squeaked by on that one), I’m going to have to call bullshit on that utterly stupid rant.

blitzgal

This has to be one of the funniest MRA logic pretzels that David has uncovered thus far. So, God has historically been understood to be male. Jesus was male. The power structure of the church has consistently been and continues to be male dominated. But because Mary was the empty vessel used to birth Christ — the OP admits as much above — it’s WOMEN who are deified by Christianity and women who hold all religious power? LOLwut?!

He does realize that the virgin birth myth exists because it’s the female body that is deemed “unclean” and “used up” following sex, right? We could also get into the whole issue of most religions having some sort of mythology regarding gods impregnating human women…man, only an MRA would feel cuckholded by God.

Sharculese

@falconer

ive read ecco too, dawg

nedbeaumontjr

“Canonballs” really sounds like something some church somewhere would be interested in.

Sharculese

Shiraz
Shiraz

Wow. MRAs are sooooo boring. And not very well read. And lacking in cognitive thinking. And…..did I mention boring? They’re oblivious to all the very real shit that’s been going down as of late. Like that business about The Catholic Church suing the Obama administration over that medical coverage/ birth control issue. Errrrr, how about the Catholic Church brow beating nuns for concerning themselves with the poor instead of preaching against gays and women who get abortions and use birth control? MRA dudes, the Catholic Church is on your side. You know that whole women-who-have-sex-only-for-pleasure-are whores riff? They’ve been singing that song long before any of you were born. You should be sending them your money.
Damn, you guys are dumber than a box of hair.

drst
drst

That was basically the plot of “The DaVinci Code” wasn’t it? Aside from not contradicting the death of Jesus, the whole thing was about his supposed bloodline with Mary Magdalene. Damn that movie was awful. Ian McKellen seemed to be the only one having fun with the whole nonsense.

Kyso K.

Damn that Da Vinci Code. Back in the day, when you came across books that talked about the Merovingian dynasty’s divine bloodline, it meant that you’d found the real conspiracy nuts.

There is another story that Jesus had spent some time in Japan and was secretly replaced on the cross by his Japanese twin brother. Jesus proper then returned to Japan, where he died at the age of 106. One article I read said the town had exactly one Christian, she’d moved there from outside the area and had no idea what the hell these people were talking about.

Dvärghundspossen

I think this conspiracy theory about Jesus getting married and having babies also feeds off from the idea that men can’t possibly be celibate, because they all have such a strong sex drive.

Besides, that idea was used in the comic book Preacher too. After Holy Blood and Holy Grail, but before the Da Vinci Code. In Preacher Jesus’ offspring had only mated with each other for two thousand years in order to keep the bloodline pure, and were compleeeetely fucked up by inbreeding.

Kyrie
Kyrie

This how baby Jesus was really born, until those mangina edited the story to make it all about Mary.

(NSFW)

kysokisaen

Preacher! I had forgotten about that comic. That was a good one. Also I was wrong, it was Jesus’ younger, not twin brother. I forget where I got the twin thing from.

scarlettpipistrelle

Well, the religious knowledge of MRAs seems very limited. Remember how wrong Price was about Tibetan Buddhism? But that didn’t stop him from pontificating anyway.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Assuming the historical Xtian belief of a virginal (not immaculate :)) conception of Jesus, why does Mark (and I think another book) cover the genealogy of Jesus through the paternal line, e.g. http://www.biblestudytools.com/matthew/passage.aspx?q=matthew+1:1-17 ? This doesn’t seem to be relevant as Joseph has been assumed not to be the father, which makes the lineage irrelevant. It does seem to be an attempt to directly link the lineage of Jesus back to King David, although given that he’s supposedly the son of God, I’m not sure why one would care about attempting to show him to be the descendent of a king as well – especially as there are going to be a lot of direct male descendants from David (compared to, theoretically, one son of God).

Then, of course, there is the whole mistranslation of the Hebrew word used to refer to Mary, e.g. http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/articles/mistranslation-virgin-extract-selfish-gene , which seems to be an ongoing debate as to whether the two words differed in practice in the historical context. I can see how one could argue they would be synonymous if the woman was unmarried, and I do not know how long a young woman would typically remain a virgin after marriage circa that time.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

The reason for this is because the Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament said that the promised Messiah was supposed to be a descendent of King David. Christians say that while the Holy Spirit was the biological father, Joseph was the adopted father. That way they can say Jesus was a result of a virgin birth while also being a descendent of King David. Your link already shows how the original text said the Messiah was supposed to be born of a young woman, not a virgin. It’s more likely the virgin idea came from the other popular pagan religions at that time. The Christians who translated the Old Testament for Christian Bibles just slipped it in there to make Jesus look like he fulfilled more Messianic prophecies.

That same verse also said he was supposed to be named Emmanuel. Yet he was named Jesus. Some Christians go ahead and call him either name in order to fix that problem.

Ha ha ha, now that I’m an unbeliever, the only times all of my Biblical study come in handy is for Internet discussions and Jeopardy! questions.

kysokisaen

I wish you’d been my Sunday school teacher. I was eight the first time I remember thinking ‘nothing you people are saying makes any sense,’ and fully checked out before I started on the sacraments. If I’d known trivia like this, it probably wouldn’t have checked me back in but it probably would have kept me from worrying about it quite so much.

Falconer
Falconer

that is a discredited conspiracy theory popularized by this psuedohistory book

I’m sorry, I seem to have given the impression that I adhered to the idea.

I don’t even accept that there was a historical Jesus to begin with.

I guess I need to work on being clearer in my writing.

Falconer
Falconer

That same verse also said he was supposed to be named Emmanuel.

I was at a Christmas party last year that included a carol sing-along. I was there with a friend, who is pretty religious, and his girlfriend, who isn’t much.

When we were done singing O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, said girlfriend asked my friend who Emmanuel was, because she’d never heard of him.

I immediately wished I’d grown up where she had (Canada, for the record).

There’s also Handel’s Messiah, which picks verses out of the Bible. It picks up the verse about how a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Emmanuel, “God with us.” The Messiah doesn’t give it nearly as much baroque ornamentation as the larger verses.

kladle
kladle

@Falconer

that is okay, I am just used to “it’s interesting to think about” being code for WHY ARE YOU SO CLOSED MINDED, WHY CAN’T YOU JUST CONSIDER THAT NOSTRADAMUS WAS A SECRET KENYAN MUSLIM WHO BUILT THE PYRAMIDS FROM DIRECTIONS IN THE BIBLE CODE???

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

Wow, people here are quite creative with the strawman arguments. I don’t think I’ve ever had my views so misrepresented. Well, whatever. I’m not going anywhere. I have just as much right to come here and vent about MRA’s as anyone else. Oh hey, maybe you can get David to boot me off? I would hope he’d understand that not all feminists think the same way. And yeah, I do care about women’s rights.

hellkell
hellkell

No, Ruby, you don’t have a right to come here. You are here under the goodwill of our host, just like anyone else. Believe me, I wish you would get booted.

Your views aren’t misrepresented, because unlike you, we can read.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I went on a blind date with that guy in 1999. Nostradamus failed to predict that there would be no second date.

I know how that is. The fundie church I went to as a kid frowned upon questions and doubts. Well if they didn’t want me asking questions, then they shouldn’t have told me to read the Bible.

I had one really awesome Sunday school teacher, but she left the church after she divorced her abusive husband. Other people in the church thought she was a big sinner for filing for divorce, yet her abusive husband got a free pass. The Christian right victim blames abuse survivors just like the MRA’s do.

Ithiliana

@Ruby: yeah, I do care about women’s rights.

Only in a very limited fashion.

For example, women in prison–you don’t seem to give a flying fuck about their right not to be raped.

You say you come here to vent about MRAs.

We see you coming here spouting a lot of misogynistic crap while claiming to be a feminist.

And yeah, you have every right to spew that stuff (though not here, if David doesn’t want you here), but we have every right to point out just how full of crap and trollish you are.

Free speech works both ways, you know.