anti-Semitism antifeminism bullying douchebaggery harassment irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA oppressed men the c-word

Point out sexism in video games, get called the c-word. Thanks, gamers!

Many of you are no doubt aware of this already, but I just wanted to highlight a recent appalling example of the rampant misogyny in the gaming community online: the harassment that feminist pop culture analyst and video blogger Anita Sarkeesian has gotten for her Tropes Vs Women Kickstarter project, a video project designed to “explore, analyze and deconstruct some of the most common tropes and stereotypes of female characters in games.”

Her YouTube page has been inundated with comments calling her, among other things, a “Dumb ass nazi [obscene gender-related slur],”  “faggo.. I mean lesbian,” and “the reason why womens are the inferior gender for the whole history of mankind.” IRONY ALERT: while some are calling her a Nazi, or comparing her to the KKK, others are denouncing her as a “bolshevik feminist jewess” and a “fucking ovendodger.”

And still others are defacing her Wikipedia entry with all sorts of vile shit. (Here’s a screenshot.)

Here’s her discussion of the harassment, which includes screenshots of some of the comments.

An Escapist piece on the harassment, which is where I got the quotes above.

A Jezebel piece, “When There’s So Much Bullshit Online, You Forget How to Feel.”

A piece on The Mary Sue, “The All-Too-Familiar Harassment Against Feminist Frequency, and What The Gaming Community Can Do About It”

Kotaku also weighed in, leading one commenter there to note that similarly misogynistic comments appear there all the time.

Meanwhile, over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, temple117 garners 138 net upvotes for a post urging poor oppressed men to “Fight back! Sexism exists for males too, support these men in their expose of gender tropes in video games!”

And, joy of joys, Men’s Rights buffoon Bernard Chapin has weighed in on the controversy as well. After dismissing the harassment — using a “funny” voice, apparently the most powerful weapon in his rhetorical arsenal — he suggests that women complain about video games because games are a male thing, and women are jealous that men are paying attention to something other than them. “Whatever the male is enjoying himself at,” he says, “it diverts him from taking orders; that’s got to be the focus of their ire.” Then he accuses Sarkeesian of being without “honor” because she’s asking for money to fund her project. (Might want to take that critique up with your pal Paul “Donate Today” Elam, dude.) His video is below, if you want to waste your time with it.

But before you get to that, here’s something a bit more encouraging on the gamer misogyny front: Comedian/actress/gamer Aisha Tyler’s take-no-prisoners takedown of the misogynist assholes who attacked her for allegedly ruining an Ubisoft press conference at the recent E3 gaming extravaganza, apparently by being too female or something. Here’s a screenshot of her comments, and a surprisingly un-disgusting Reddit discussion of the controversy.

Here’s Bern:

Kendra, the bionic mommy
Kendra, the bionic mommy

squaking Feminist way to make the world on their sides.

Men talk, and women squawk. You could also say that a group of women talking is the same as a bunch of hens clucking. Either way shows you’re a misogynist that disregards anything women say based on the fact that they’re women.

Feminist Frequency is a show for those with an IQ hovering around 70. Her assault on Lego’s was class-A humor. Only a retard would take her or any Feminist seriously.

I don’t care if you like Feminist Frequency or not. You can express your opinions without ableism, though.

By the way, it annoys the crap out of me that StupidFeminist’s randomly created avatar looks so similar to mine. I may have to figure out that Gravatar thing and make mine look different if he sticks around very long.

Argenti Aertheri

Kendra — hover over the W in the top left and click settings, then public profile, changing your avatar should be simple from that point. (the more you know)

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

I actually have a friend who totally did abuse serial clauses. I mean, not just adding more clauses, in a colloquial sort of way. I try to type the way I speak! It seems to flow better that way.

I mean that he actually filled a whole page of an essay with one sentence, one grammatically correct clause-filled English-abusing sentence. On purpose. And he was proud of it.

That… that’s harsh.

Writing in a way that reflects the way you speak, stacking clauses together, well, y’know… this is English. The base mechanics are not nearly as important to me as the question of clarity. Does it make sense? That, above all else, is to be preferred.

But I don’t expect trolls to understand that.

hellkell
hellkell

Argenti, I’m thinking it’s not HWSNBN, but one whose name is never typed out all the way. Starts with a “B” and ends in “completely full of shit.”

Kyrie
Kyrie

Kendra, I feel your pain. I went to gravatar because my image was very similar or B___’s. 😉

“That… that’s harsh.”

That’s lovely. If there’s anything 4 years of Latin taught me it’s how absurd English can be sometimes, might as well take advantage of it! And construting a sentence is beyond many of our trolls (the rest just make up nonsense sentences, see most things NWO says for examples) so yeah, I doubt the whole “does it make sense?” thing makes sense to them.

hellkell — could be B____ — I don’t think I’ve had the (dis)pleasure yet, so I can’t say. Considering there was exactly one potential point in all those words, you could well be right.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

All right, I went to gravatar and uploaded a picture, so hopefully I will look different from SF.

I’m confused. The W here on manboobz?

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

Nevermind, I figured it out, but it will take up to an hour for my changes to take place.

Thank you, Argenti Aertheri.

Argenti Aertheri

No problem, are you going by just bionic mommy now?

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

I go by either Kendra or bionic mommy. I think it changed my name when I signed in with a wordpress account. I didn’t realize it did that.

Kendra + Internet = Confusion

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

“That… that’s harsh.”

That’s lovely.

Proof once again that beauty is a socially constructed ideal.

I think making sense is against their religion. I’m pretty sure. Evidence suggests.

Rutee Katreya

@Brown University Student er, Stupid Feminist
Get a fucking hobby. This is the height of sadness.

Polliwog
Polliwog

Sounds like you and your Manboobs trolls are upset. Why else would David Futile post this?

Hmmm…I’m going to take a stab in the dark and guess that it’s because (1) it’s misogyny and (2) he mocks misogyny.

One of these days, I really hope you guys will manage to sound out the big words at the top of the page.

Argenti Aertheri

“Kendra + Internet = Confusion” — it happens, I just didn’t want to call you Kendra if you’d prefer bionic mommy

Howard — “Proof once again that beauty is a socially constructed ideal.” — no argument there, nor at the suggestion that not making sense is a religious doctrine for trolls.

Polliwog — it’s like they can’t grasp that one can mock something without being upset by it (though this one is upsetting as well) — for example, 80s hair? I will mock that shit until you stop doing that to your poor hair; am I upset? Not in the least.

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

I like how people are assuming the male members of the commentariat here (hi!) are all self-hating, rather than just people who go “Hey, people are cool! Let’s respect the ones who don’t spew forth torrents of bigoted bullshit like a broken pipe in the plumbing of woe and unhappiness!”

cloudiah

Argenti! You would mock 80s hairstyles?!?! How dare you?!? They are so fabulous! I think you’re just jealous.

[cloudiah goes off to make sure all 80s photos of her have been expunged from the internetz]

[while crossing fingers that none of her links break]

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

It’s really worse than that, when you think about it. Trolls come in to spew hate. They find women here, and somehow, naturally, the men here are ignored.

THEY TARGET WOMEN WITH THEIR HATE.

But they would like to take this time to assure you that they’re just sticking up for men, and there’s really no misogyny there, and they’re not a hate movement.

Argenti Aertheri

cloudiah — that last one might be so bad it cycles back into good in a campy way, hair horns are pretty cool I suppose. The backcombing just kind of makes me want to go “your hair! it doesn’t do that!”. As long as the 80s hair stayed in the 80s I guess it’s fine though.

Kyrie
Kyrie

I kinda like number two. It looks good on her.

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

And when they *do* (can someone tell me which formatting the site uses so I can bold and italicise stuffs? Lack of a preview button frightens me) choose to acknowledge our existence, they do it via insults in the form of the “classic” woman = bad insults, and implying we only do it for the attention (instead of, you know, that we prefer to be reasonable human beings).

They care about men, totally, except the ones they don’t (and only when they agree with them.. sometimes not even then!).

Kyrie
Kyrie

<b>bold</b>

<i>italic</i>

<blockquote>quote</blockquote>

ShadetheDruid
ShadetheDruid

Thanks! Though i’m not sure i’ll even attempt blockquoting, considering all the times experienced blockquote users use it and it comes back to bite them in the arse. 😛 Blockquotes seem to have a will of their own sometimes.

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

Blockquotes seem to have a will of their own sometimes.

…IT EXPLAINS SO MUCH.

Argenti Aertheri

I blame spellcheck’s will for that, blockquote errors, so our brains get used to seeing the squiggly line and ignore it, even when we’ve typed “blockqutoes” or something. Ymmv may vary on that, idk if every browser does that.

And I use <em>emphasis</em> and <strong>strong</strong> because I’m a pedantic geek and they’re more accessible (some screenreader balk, or used to anyways, at <b> and <i> because they aren’t rendering them in print at all).

The strike-out trick is <del>delete</del> btw.

*grumbles at html character entities* It doesn’t look like I typoed any of them…

Shaenon

Men talk, and women squawk.

No, no, no. We squak. It’s a special word that only men know because of their superior intelligence.

And I use emphasis and strong because I’m a pedantic geek and they’re more accessible (some screenreader balk, or used to anyways, at and because they aren’t rendering them in print at all).

Good to know. I admit that I use i and b purely because they’re shorter, but perhaps I should switch.

Also, you win for also figuring out how to print HTML tags as plain text; I highly doubt this quote will display correctly.

cloudiah

How do you pronounce squak? I’m imagining something like quake but with an s in front. If it’s what I’m doing, I want to make sure to pronounce it correctly.

Argenti Aertheri

cloudiah — the physics squark is s-quark I think, but this usage is probably a typo of squawk (rhymes with hawk)

Argenti Aertheri

oh, ze said squak…I have no idea either then >.<

katz — > is & gt ; (without the spaces) and < is & lt ; (again, no spaces) — write enough html/css/php/js combos from hell and you learn these things.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

How do you pronounce squak?

I didn’t even notice the typo lol. I think it would rhyme with quack. Ducks quack and women squak.

cloudiah

(I know it was just a typo, but I am having fun with the idea that it’s a neologism.)

🙂

Rhyming with quack works for me! I squaked my mouth off this morning, training a new student. She squaked right back.

Dev
Dev

The following is mainly @Ithiliana, but it can be addressed to others as well.

Well, thanks to y’all, I have now been introduced to the concept of the “tone troll.” From what I can tell, it means a (so-called) “troll” concerned that the level of discussion is too civil – in other words, not enough insults, ad hominem attacks, etc. Honestly, I’m amazed that anybody could ever think that such things would be a positive force in a discussion, but apparently I was wrong. The term is also supposed to somehow denote a poster who wants everybody to think the same way they do. Well, there may be an element of truth there, and so much as there may have been that in my post, I apologize. But I hardly think the people who responded to – no, I suppose a less “tone trollish” way to phrase it would be “atom bombed” – my post seem to be hardly less set on having others believe exactly what they believe. You call me out for wanting you to think like me (debatable; again, if I came across that way in my post, I’m sorry), yet what you want is to have me think exactly as you do. You gave me criticism a good twenty times greater than I gave you, and in a spirit of anger and meanness that was quite different from what I intended for you. I was annoyed; you destroyed me. Seriously, I’d expected a bit of vitriol from somewhere or other, but I was amazed at the sheer spite leveled at me, which exceeded my expectations many times over. All I wanted was to make my voice heard in a discussion, and I got shouted down and called a troll. If you want to vent your anger on the internet (the best place to vent, I suppose; the world’s an infuriating place), then alright, but I think it’s unfair to unleash it on those who mean no harm and just want to contribute. I had always understood that “trolls” are inherently mean and just want to cause trouble, and that could not have been further from my intention, and I would hazard that my post, whatever else it may have been, did not qualify as pernicious. If you think my post was wrong, tell me so, but don’t try to tell me I’m malicious, a troll, just trying to cause trouble. All I did was voice an opinion you disagreed with. If that’s part of what being a “troll” is, then perhaps you should take a look at yourself.

That is the exact opposite of the actual meaning. You can look these things up, you know.

Also, please learn to use the enter key.

Snowy
Snowy

I am shocked, shocked to find that there is mockery going on here!

jumbofisch
jumbofisch

@snowy
Oh the horror! the dread!…if only he had read he subtitle of this site…..but they never do and complain when they don’t get what they wanted…..

Snowy, should I read that in a Claude Rains voice?

Snowy
Snowy

Yes! The voice is essential!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@Dev

That’s nice, dear. If you had looked up the term that would have saved you some confusion, but I guess that was too much work?

There are plenty of blogs where misogyny is discussed in serious rather than mocking ways. If that’s more to your liking then perhaps you can go find one, or even start one yourself. Think – if you did that you could even ban anyone who you perceived as impolite!

Dev
Dev

Now when I disagree with you, I’m perceived as mocking?

As for “tone-troll,” I already saw both those links before I posted, thank you very much. Apparently attempting to be civil is a crime now.

hellkell
hellkell

Dev, read the header of the blog. Move your lips if you need to.

Dev
Dev

Okay, hellkell, you have a point – the blog is about “mocking” misogyny, after all. I still don’t think that precludes civil discussion here. And I’ve never understood “mocking misogyny” to mean “rain verbal hellfire on a person who basically shares your views, with minor differences, and wanted to express those differences civilly”

Dev
Dev

Whoops, here’s that period. “.”

hellkell
hellkell

Well, Dev, we get a lot of scolds who are trolling up in here. Perhaps that shouldn’t have been your first post.

Dev
Dev

I suppose my post was a bit scolding. I confess I’m generally a lurker, and not really used to the culture of message boards. If what I did was a faux pas, then I apologize. I have not changed my opinions, but I will try to keep the larger picture in mind before jumping headfirst into a conversation.

TK
TK

Oh my lord. Some of the comments on that Kotaku comment are even worse than the originals. The guy who complains about being on the receiving end of domestic violence, so he claims – not downplaying violence, but he seems awfully concerned with holding doors and bathrooms for someone fight for greater attention for male victims in DV cases.

Mark my words. It always, ALWAYS, comes down to opening doors and nice bathrooms (and sometimes Ladies Night at the local wateri hole). Guess what? open doors for everyone, all the time, and the world will be fine (unless you do it too early and they have to go out of their way to hurry up, that’s just a dick move). And in any place I’ve been where the women’s WC or locker room was nicer than the men’s, it was the women themselves who made it that way! They used their money and time to make curtains or bring in beauty products for everyone to share. The only exception I’ve seen is a couch in some washrooms, so women can nurse. Sorry about that! Here, have the vote back!

cloudiah

Dev, I saw three people who posted criticism of your post — hardly “verbal hellfire,” especially on this blog. (Check out the pasting Pecunium and Argenti are giving to Aktivarum on the “WTF is a MGTOW” post on the header for something much more akin to a scorched earth campaign against a true troll.) Rutee and Ithiliana both explained exactly why they were critical; if you can get past the tone and read for content, you might find their posts useful.

TK, where I work women bring in hand lotion which they share in the restroom. Last year, we had to shut down the men’s restroom for about 2 weeks to repair rotten flooring, so we came up with a complicated system of sharing the women’s restroom. After that period was over, a male co-worker of mine asked me, “Do all women’s restrooms offer free hand lotion?” (in a tone of pure awe). Of course I told him they do — it’s part of Title IX, and we force men to pay for it by crying in the streets.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Kotaku is always like that. They’re a perfect encapsulation of every negative stereotype about geeks.

Ithiliana

@Cloudiah: I admit, my post was reposted (I am an impatient person and figured out why the moderation and so reposted), so I guess I’m doubly mean.

@Dev: Yes, yes, yes, we’re mean; we call you a troll because you don’t agree with us (or you do, but want to be civil–I am a bit confused by which you mean because you sort of say both), blah blah.

But it’s true: lurk and read for a while before posting is good advice on any forum.

I’ll have to go back and re-read (I don’t remember the specifics, too much other writing between then and now), but I suspect you did a bit more than just present your views civilly….back in half a mo.

Ithiliana

@Dev: I was annoyed; you destroyed me..

I was annoyed too. But jumping jupiter, you sure typed a lot for a destroyed person. You must be a zombie.

I suspect a teensy bit of hyperbole–but if you’re trying to make me feel guilty, it ain’t working. I am old and grumpy and have heard the same sort of crap so many times that it’s gone beyond annoying to boring to holy shit, not again.