antifeminism cuteness evil fat fatties evil women idiocy kitties lying liars misandry misogyny MRA

Argumentum ad Kittypicturem: A Rebuttal

Manosphere doofuses have a wide assortment of excuses for dismissing this blog without actually having to deal with anything I’ve ever actually said.  There’s the old “you’re a misandrist bigot so I don’t have to read anything of yours to know what you think” argument; no evidence of the alleged misandry is ever given. There’s the old “you call yourself Man Boobz and that’s a silly name so I can pretend that nothing you say counts” excuse; actually, I call you guys the “man boobz,” but never mind. Then there’s the old “he’s fat” chestnut. (See the next-to-last pic here.)

My favorite excuse, though, is a little logical fallacy you might call “argumentum ad kittypicturem.” That is, the claim that I can’t be taken seriously because sometimes I post pictures of adorable kitties. I’m not sure why these pictures confuse and infuriate misogynists to the extent that they do, but I’m sort of happy this is the case, because every time I run across it, it gives me an excuse to POST MORE KITTY PICTURES.

This time the kitty picture hater is the lying liar Dalrock, whom we’ve met several times before—most recently when he complained about women taking jobs from men by “playing career woman much the way that Marie Antoinette played peasant and Zoolander’s character played coal miner.”

In a post with the ponderous yet somehow also very silly title “We need worthy adversaries,” Dalrock dismisses my blog as one of the unworthy ones, the only example of said unworthiness being this post I made featuring pictures of several adorable  kittens.

Here is my rebuttal:

Yes, that’s a hedgehog. Let’s see how they deal with THAT!

Argenti Aertheri

Howard — “The critical idea there is that just removing men doesn’t remove patriarchy.” — agreed, and I’ve really not seen many cases of any feminist seriously suggesting violence. I’d imagine the context of that quote implies that killing men could never work because [that quote]. But no, the poster who made that comment…well, he answers joke as serious questions on the next page >.< He did seem to be honestly saying "not all feminists are the same" though.

Love the St. Paul bit, never had that pointed out before, despite, or maybe because of, all my years of Christian fundies being all "women! submit!" (um, well sounding less BDSM about it)

My brain seems to be falling asleep on me, I hate this insomnia shit, and should really be used to it by now (goddamned you brain, work enough to figure out if shit needs done!)

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

Love the St. Paul bit, never had that pointed out before, despite, or maybe because of, all my years of Christian fundies being all “women! submit!” (um, well sounding less BDSM about it)

I’ve been dragging myself out of a well-trained case of fundie-ism for a while–it took my seven years after I heard that point for it to finally get into my head and for me to understand it.

Which is one of the reasons I hang out around here. Because maybe some of the folks who aren’t listening right now will have a moment in five years and go ‘oh shit!’ And make the world a better place one former-asshole at a time.

Amnesia
Amnesia

@Argenti and Howard
Do we need to start some sort of Former Fundies Anonymous group?

Argenti Aertheri

Amnesia — maybe? I have some hilarious stories from those days, my personal favorite being how I don’t need antidepressants, just to be “closer to god”…according to my freshman roommate, while suicidally depressed.

They’re like the antithesis of helpful >.< (fundies, not antidepressants, while I have plenty of complaints about antidepressants, they aren't "the antithesis of helpful")

Argenti Aertheri

um, utterly random, but I just noticed the owner of the hedgehog has salt in his medicine cabinet (I’m assuming it’s salt, but that’s the same container most of my spices are in, so it must be the salt right?)

Amnesia
Amnesia

I’ll start up a topic on the Manboobz forums, see what happens.

Amnesia
Amnesia
Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

I am already durned near the limit of my time-wasting–er, scratch that. My time-spent-on-non-capitalism-rewarded-projects.

Argenti Aertheri

I’m in forum limbo Amnesia, whenever David actually approves me I’ll post over there (I must not be a good enough lickspittle toadie or something? either that or I broke the internet again…)

“So I’ll clearly have to stop sleeping in order to make time to check out the forums.” — lol, yeah, I should sleep, goodnight y’all!

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

The sad thing is that when I actually was a college student I never pulled all-nighters. I’m told my body could have handled them back then.

So apparently I have a quote to fill.

Whoop.s

Myoo
Myoo

More puppies:

Mandolin

Nanasha, I know the situation you’re talking about. California’s ability to deal with violent mentally ill people, or mentally ill people in general, is fucked up.

I’m not sure if you know the woman who was murdered since it’s a small town. I don’t live there anymore, but she was the friend of a friend.

It’s very shocking and sad and horrible. I wish that cases like this would convince Californians to pony up some more tax dollars for *prevention,* such as not dumping people on the streets.

jumbofish

@luke
So some person made memes about sexist cats therefore cats hate feminists? O_o

thecat
thecat

@Argenti Aertheri “Nanasha — I’m glad you ended that with “turn into cute little kittens or something” — I usually hear more like how if you’re diagnosed with X “known dangerous mental illness” then “we” should be able to force you to take meds or be locked up before you can become dangerous. It all gets a bit Minority Report pre-crime about things.

The guy you were discussing though had just gotten out of prison, so better screening when leaving prison? I have no issue, it’s the people who end up saying all mentally ill people (with X conditions) must be medicated for the sake of society, when they’re not criminals, just mentally ill. The treating the mentally ill like pre-criminals irks me the same way pre-pregnancy does basically.

(For extra irony, my last attempt at medication made things worse and this round is a laughing joke of “wait this pill does something? no it doesn’t” — medicating the crazies isn’t really so simple in other words)”

I had something similar happen to me, I wasn’t put in jail, but my baby was taken away from me at birth because I have a mental illness and sought treatment while pregnant. My psychiatrist and my therapist both agree that this never should have happened to me and that I’m not a danger to my child (or myself) but I have to jump through so many hoops to prove to children’s services that I’m stable and I’m not a danger. It really is terrible the way that people with mental illnesses are treated. I’ve never done anything to harm my baby, and I never will, but because I’m mentally ill it is assumed that I could. I should note that I had been in the recommended treatment for a few months before my baby was born (and I had been on the waiting list for a year waiting for a spot to open up) so it wasn’t even an untreated mental illness.

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Mandolin- I actually knew her, although mostly in a professional setting- her shop is really well known for being a very sex-positive sex shop (yay for non-judgmental people who help you find the sex toys you need!) in addition to selling some kick-ass halloween costumes! I’m just really sad that this happened at all- it’s like everyone knew that it would happen at some point with the influx of people being sent over here due to cuts in funding elsewhere (we’ve weathered the storm fairly well here, but there are probably still more cuts to come).

No one should ever be afraid to walk down the street in the middle of the day. There are no words for the sadness I feel that this tragedy has barely stepped up enforcement and the streets are like a ghost town- no one wants to be “next”…in the middle of the day!

I always have to ask people who try the “she could have avoided it” lecture what they expect us to do- lock ourselves away in a fortress without windows? There are just no words to truly express how horrible these tragedies are….

Kyrie
Kyrie

luke, are you trying to prove that sexism exist on the internet?

luke123
luke123

Cute kittens are cute 🙂

[NOTE FROM DF: Luke’s pics contained offensive mentions of rape; I have removed the links here banned him.]

Kyrie
Kyrie

Can we ban luke? All his links are fucked up.

Rutee Katreya

Because we lacked for reminders that people concerned with ‘mens rights’ only wanted to control women, apparently!

jumbofish

Apparently he missed the humor in the post.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Not too shabby of a final message, though (the part of it that’s left anyway).

“Cute cats are cute”

Indeed, luke123, indeed.

jumbofish

Never have any final words been more true…

lauralot89

I have nothing to add to the serious discussion, but speaking of kittens, my brother just requested that I make a tiny police hat for my cat so he can shoot a film about a loose cannon cop cat.

cloudiah

@lauralot The terms of the admiralty court (or some such) require you to post at least still pics of your cat in a tiny police hat, if not the video. Just for the record.

lauralot89

If such a hat comes to pass, I will definitely post all the photos. However, as my cat’s main hobbies are sleeping and vegetating, I can’t imagine him pulling off the role. Also, my brother has no camera to my knowledge and I’m beginning to think this is yet another of his absurd schemes that will not pan out.

Bostonian

Jumbofish, MRAs have a definite humor deficiency.

lauralot89

In the meantime, I did find a cat in a little captain’s hat: http://www.etsy.com/listing/88698357/marine-captain-mini-hat

cloudiah

I think your sleepy, vegetating hat needs a tiny police hat whether or not a video is ever made. The nice things about really sleepy cats is that they often don’t notice when you balance tiny things on their heads, particularly if you have a light touch. At least that’s what I’ve heard.

A nice modern look: http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/images/headwear/us/police_hat.jpg

Or perhaps you want something more classic: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MekVZXcIw-0/Tbq8nuSAkVI/AAAAAAAAI-Y/YjNAVIttvkU/s400/KeystoneCops.jpg

cloudiah

OMG, the hat isn’t so great but what a cute face! http://www.etsy.com/listing/54891418/top-hat-for-cats-seasons-warm-joy

cloudiah

Oops ^vegetating hat^ should be vegetating cat. My apologies.

lauralot89

I shall begin balancing things on my vegetable cat right away.

But since I have no Police Cat to post yet, I decided to contribute to the Kittypicturem by making another of my “Feminazi Cat Owner” images. (The cat in the picture is not the one who needs the tiny hat, in case you were wondering. The orange cat actually does things): http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/Lauralot/inamedhim.jpg

jennydevildoll

“I have a friend who has, I think, a plausible theory that there’s a link between hatred of cats and misogyny. It’s lot like how racists often have an irrational hatred of hip-hop. Cats are associated with femininity and women, and their loathing of the feminine is so that it rubs off on cats. Even though there’s nothing intrinsically feminine about cats. Anti-feminists often employ “cats” as a way to insult feminists, claiming that if a feminist is fond of cats, that’s somehow surefire evidence of man-hating, which of course is code for an unwillingness to be controlled by men. It’s funny, because cats are the most popular pet in the country, and in the real world, loved by the rich and the poor, men and women, conservative and liberal alike. But for serious misogynists, the association creates a knee-jerk reaction.”

Often true, but I also knew a guy who was a cat lover, yet was up to his ears in having belligerent, stalker-y issues with women. Not sure what that paradigm is.

Falconer
Falconer

Oh, hey, Lauralot, I forgot about your Wonder Woman costume. It looks awesome! Great job! And your kitty is lovely.

Probably you don’t need the lasso to get him to admit that he wants to nom the lasso.

cloudiah

I love the kitty AND the costume!

Argenti Aertheri

thecat — I am so sorry, I hope you get your little one back soon. I wish the people administering this shit would realize that punishing pregnant women for needing help only discourages them from getting both the help they need and pre-natal care, and that that’s not helping anyone. This is also why I think drug testing pregnant women is a terrible idea, it’ll only discourage seeking treatment, and pre-natal care, and discouraging pre-natal care =/= helping kids. Not to mention that the foster case system also needs serious help…argh…

Nanasha — “No one should ever be afraid to walk down the street in the middle of the day.” — a-fucking-greed

“I always have to ask people who try the “she could have avoided it” lecture what they expect us to do- lock ourselves away in a fortress without windows?” — carry a bigger knife? call the cops? (they’re probably thinking that one and assuming that’d make a difference) — idfk, that’s some extra special victim blaming bullshit

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Take cat.

Take tiny SCENTED FUCKING CANDLE.

Balance tiny SCENTED FUCKING CANDLE on cat.

Sorka
Sorka

With the whole “SCENTED FUCKING CANDLE” rant it’s occurred to me again that MRAs do such a good job making fools of themselves on a daily basis that there is very little David and manboobz actually need to do to actually mock them.

Kyrie
Kyrie

What David does is turning the horribleness of it all in something often funny. I smile or laugh most of the time I read his article, but almost each time I follow the links to check context or other comments, I feel sickened by what I read. David is an alchemist!

Sorka
Sorka

Kyrie: Actually, that’s exactly how I feel as well. I should learn not to follow the links!

LBT
LBT

RE: Mental illness

I’m actually in an unfortunate boat of realizing that I’ve finally reached the point where I’m not going to be able to work. Right now, I’m almost able to pull my shit together so we can drag our dilapidated ass in some of the time, but we’re running on fumes, and pretty soon, I know I’m going to crack for good and end up in a hospital or a loony-bin.

I’m applying for disability, but I don’t really know what’s going to happen to us. I’ve hoarded almost three months savings (at extreme tight budget) but… well, we need a complete rest, and I know folks who’ve been hunting work in this city SIX months with no luck, and I really don’t want to have to crawl back to my parents, who I’ve cut off.

And with all the stigma about being mentally ill… D:

Argenti Aertheri

LBT — good luck, I just got home from welfare telling me I’m too young to be disabled enough — and after editing this 3 times, I give up, I’m too angry to form a competent comment >.<

Half a competent thought — when you apply, include the diagnosis you don't want to consider a problem, because it'll look serious on paper and it's all about appearances with them.

LBT
LBT

Yeah, I can’t go for welfare; all I can find is for families and pregnant folks only. I look to be old enough, it’s all a matter of GETTING the damn stuff.

Unfortunately, looks like I’ll need to be properly diagnosed. *sigh* At least I have some medical staff to back it up… too bad I’m not skinny enough to be anorexic…

Argenti Aertheri

LBT — pregnant, elderly, or disabled. They’ll require you apply for SSDI/SSI, but their definition of disabled is looser (I’m neither pregnant nor elderly, it’s the category I’m applying under) — they weren’t saying I’m not disabled enough by them, but that I am disabled enough by them but SSDI/SSI won’t care because “you’re young”. It was a lovely lecture on how technically yes, but how I basically suck anyways…now I see why they do interviews with random workers, I have no name to file a complaint against if I wanted to.

And yeah, you need current records. Love the “too bad I’m not skinny enough to be anorexic” bit, but I’m honestly not sure my current psych would’ve caught it if I still was, I’m tiny and never got asked what I weigh (I say tiny, and not thin, because I’m 5’3″ and really hate being called short ^.^)

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

Yeah, anorexia has an actual weight requirement. Which is complete bollocks, since, you know. Collapsing every week I think is a better gauge for my well-being than a number on the scale. (Besides, testosterone is a magical weight-gainer for me. My grandma’s now worried about me getting fat.)

M Dubz
M Dubz

Jesus LBT, I am so so so sorry that you are going through this.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Oh no Rogan 🙁 that’s terrible.

Best of luck to you guys, my heart goes out to you.

cloudiah

@Argenti/Rogan So sorry this country lacks a meaningful safety net. Take care, and let us know if there are ways we can help.