antifeminism cuteness evil fat fatties evil women idiocy kitties lying liars misandry misogyny MRA

Argumentum ad Kittypicturem: A Rebuttal

Manosphere doofuses have a wide assortment of excuses for dismissing this blog without actually having to deal with anything I’ve ever actually said.  There’s the old “you’re a misandrist bigot so I don’t have to read anything of yours to know what you think” argument; no evidence of the alleged misandry is ever given. There’s the old “you call yourself Man Boobz and that’s a silly name so I can pretend that nothing you say counts” excuse; actually, I call you guys the “man boobz,” but never mind. Then there’s the old “he’s fat” chestnut. (See the next-to-last pic here.)

My favorite excuse, though, is a little logical fallacy you might call “argumentum ad kittypicturem.” That is, the claim that I can’t be taken seriously because sometimes I post pictures of adorable kitties. I’m not sure why these pictures confuse and infuriate misogynists to the extent that they do, but I’m sort of happy this is the case, because every time I run across it, it gives me an excuse to POST MORE KITTY PICTURES.

This time the kitty picture hater is the lying liar Dalrock, whom we’ve met several times before—most recently when he complained about women taking jobs from men by “playing career woman much the way that Marie Antoinette played peasant and Zoolander’s character played coal miner.”

In a post with the ponderous yet somehow also very silly title “We need worthy adversaries,” Dalrock dismisses my blog as one of the unworthy ones, the only example of said unworthiness being this post I made featuring pictures of several adorable  kittens.

Here is my rebuttal:

Yes, that’s a hedgehog. Let’s see how they deal with THAT!

ragefromthebasement

@Nanasha

Yes, MRAs immediately assume you are ugly or fat when you disagree with them. A commenter on The Spearhead said I had grey hairs on my saggy tits, and that I couldn’t find a man, etc. Actually, I’m pretty good looking, not fat, with spectacular breasts, but then they want a picture, and I’m not that fucking stupid. I’m married, too, but that must be a lie since all feminists are lonely cat ladies.

Shiterotica
Shiterotica

That tiger looks like it just ate a baby. I’m one of those misogynists who don’t like cats. I do have one, but he acts like a dog, so it’s cool.

Buttman
Buttman

Jesus man you are huge. Try fasting. It is more effective than exercising and still eating like a whale.

Shiterotica
Shiterotica

That tiger looks like it just ate a baby.

The fact is, much as you’d like to obscure the FACTS, people who like cats are statistically more likely to be alone. Is it a stereotype if it’s true?

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Remember, MRAS totally don`t shame people! That`s what the evil feminists do!

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Oops, meant to quote Rage there.

windupmyskirt

Best rebuttal ever!!!
On another note… wherever did you find the pic of the adorable black and white cutie pie?

Quackers
Quackers

Oh God Dalrock…where practically every post of his is summed up as “SLUT SLUTS SLUTTY SLUTS SLUT SHAME WHORES MARRIAGE DOOM SLUTTY SLUTS OH THE HUUUUUMAAAAAANITY!!!!1”

Clearly a bastion of intelligence he is *eyeroll*

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

These lions (lionesses?) are using a man for… um… cuddles? Climbing? I don’t know, but it is obviously misandry.

Quackers
Quackers

oh and you guys have to check out the spearhead article on gender neutral bathrooms…its comedy fucking gold! basically he says “THERE WILL BE LESS TOILETS FOR TEH STRAIGHT MENZ!!!!1”

are toilets not even sacred anymore u gaiz??!?!?!1

Fembot
Fembot

@Quackers

I was just over there. Too much homophobic commentary on that post.

Quackers
Quackers

misogynist, homophobic, transphobic…I know its pretty shitty (and I didn’t even read many of the comments) Sadly I’ve become so used to it from MRAs that it almost doesn’t even register anymore…all I know is these dudes are ranting about toilets and I’m amused by it. Oh the great oppression they face!

Argenti Aertheri

You’re all ignoring the non-mammalian cuties! Clown loaches for example (and yes, they always do that, when they’re happy fish anyways)

Sheila Addison

I wonder if this will work. I tried posting it to another thread a while back but I was very late: [flickr video=7266481240 secret=ee408fd9f5 w=400 h=300]

(If that doesn’t work, it’s here. Super noisy kittens from my favorite rescue fosterer, kitten-sweetener to two of my three beasts.)

Fembot
Fembot

@Sheila

What monsters! 🙂

Fembot
Fembot

Dave wrote

“There’s the old “you’re a misandrist bigot so I don’t have to read anything of yours to know what you think” argument; no evidence of the alleged misandry is ever given.”

No shit. Apparently not going out to march in the streets declaring feminism a vile hate cult is misandry.

Rutee Katreya

Regarding that third kitten, if we have the mirror universe duplicate, where’s the original?

@kirby: That was so clueless I had to actually check to see if it was a thing. And yep, there it was, actually written by Dalrock. Who we’ve had offered to us as a ‘reasonable MRA’, I might add XD XD XD

I mean, not with the frequency of Elam (XD!!!) but still!

Newbie
Newbie

A recent post of Dalrock’s was titled “The ubiquitous frame of hypergamy”. Babble, babble, babble. Pretend to be smart & intellectualize “Game”. Pathetic. They actually take this seriously. And make the most evil, hateful, disrespectful comments. What drove this “happily married father” (initially I thought that was just a fantasy) to this fixation? How on earth can his wife stand it?

I am sorry to be a bummer on this thread: tonight on MSNBC there was an article that an estranged PA husband killed his two children, their pets and his wife, who he had invited out to dinner that evening and she refused. Some MRAs were making comments, saying it was understandable, the divorce courts, blah, blah, blah, ownership, mostly collapsed.

When I first scanned – it’s unreadable – Dalrock and saw how fixated he is with what he calls “frivolous divorce” (he calls it exiting a marriage with “cash & prizes”)…..I was actually fearful that he seemed like the kind of scary, psychotic person who would commit murder suicide if his wife ever tried to divorce him.

Fembot
Fembot

@Newbie

These men do not understand women. And they hate them. You really can’t talk to them. It’s like trying to tell a born again Christian that Jesus doesn’t exist. A waste of breath.

Jessay (@jessay)

@Nanasha LOL, I actually recorded it but then lowered the pitch to sound more dramatic (my voice is kinda on the high side)

Yeah, I’ve gotten “I don’t even have to read/listen to your opinion because I know you’re an idiot after one minute” nonsense.

And Jesus about that murder. I can UNDERSTAND women who have been raped and victimized being weary of men, even hating men. What I can’t understand is murder. Nothing can justify that. This is what’s really frightening about these guys. They idolize murderers.

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Jessay- Yeah, my voice got deeper when my hormones went to hell and my testosterone levels skyrocketed (gotta love PCOS, eh?). Plus, my deeper voice is my authoritarian voice- it scares the hell out of people doing the wrong thing (I’m a mom, it comes with the territory that you have to be able to use a tone of voice that makes a little kid who is doing something she knows she’s not supposed to do jump at least a foot in the air when you catch them doing it! XD). I also use the Voice to scare zombie vagrants, deter the Creepy Guys who hang outside the construction yard near my apartment, and generally get people to listen to me when I do public speaking (I’m a freak who actually likes doing that).

And yeah, the whole murder thing squicks me the fuck out. In my city of residence, there was recently a murder of a local business owner who was just WALKING DOWN THE FUCKING STREET to an appointment IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY, and she got STABBED TO DEATH by this transient guy who had just gotten out of prison and decided to pick her to murder because of “all the women who had wronged” him.

The even more sickening part? He was thinking of killing the two women with their babies in strollers who were walking down the street before the actual murder victim, but decided that it would be too hard to kill two women and two babies and still get away from the scene of the crime.

Who wanna bets that this murdering bastard gets out of prison early because he plays the “mental problems” card and then murders another woman? This is a man so fucked up that his own mother is scared to death of him and who has on multiple occasions threatened his mom’s life if he ever finds out where she lives.

It’s stuff like this that makes me honestly wish that there was an active God up in the sky ready to smite evildoers with lightning the second they even considered an evil act. Seriously. Because the rate at which these horrible individuals get away with MURDER, RAPE, ASSAULT and other HORRIBLE CRIMES is sickening to say the least.

And they HONESTLY keep trying to argue that the THREAT of being POSSIBLY accused of rape is worse than constantly, every single day, be conscious that at some point somewhere someone might decide to randomly rape and/or murder you EXPRESSLY because of your sex, sexuality or gender-expression?

Fuck that shit, man. Fuck that shit right there. The THREAT of possibly having to deal with law enforcement is far less frightening and outright nerve-wracking than the fact than facing the fact that every day, violence based off of gender, sexuality and sex is enacted by individuals with little to no recourse, ability to truly prevent it (beyond maybe locking yourself up in a fortress), or systematic response that supports the victim’s recovery and actually addresses and punishes criminals for it after the fact.

Argenti Aertheri

That MSNBC article and good luck if you read the comments, there are definitely MRAs in there, and victim blaming, and an entirely random racist rant, etc (caution is advised)

Argenti Aertheri

“Who wanna bets that this murdering bastard gets out of prison early because he plays the “mental problems” card and then murders another woman?”

I’d bet the opposite actually — he’ll get out faster if he doesn’t plead insanity. The decision not to attack the two women with babies probably negates an insanity plea though.

I know CT’s NGRI laws because my best-friend’s interning for a lawyer who works NGRI cases, short version is that if the crime is tied to the mental illness (which it must be for an insanity plea) then the mental illness is assumed tied to criminality — you’re staying in a locked psych ward until the state board declares you sane. In CT simple assault is a 5 year max term, if you plead insanity it’s more like a 20+ year sentence — because of exactly what you’re afraid of, that they’re still crazy enough to kill. It’s a whole lot of fucked up in other words, but there is no “get out of jail free” card because of “mental problems” (not in the US anyways).

And “mental problems”? Can we please not fall down the rabbithole of what mental illnesses are “real enough”? (I realize you’re pissed that he killed someone, but this mentally ill person resents the assumption ze’s ever a danger to anyone besides zirself — zirself, maybe/sometimes; anyone else, no)

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Argenti Aertheri-I would honestly love to be able to have the power to stop people like this before they strike. I can’t stand the fact that so many children are murdered by their own self-centered parents, and that so many control-freaks like this are allowed to murder and still be treated better than the people they killed when placed in custody.

If I had the power, with a thought, these dangerous criminals would just vaporize, just like that. Or maybe turn into cute little kittens or something….but then, they might just become evil kitties……

Argenti Aertheri

Nanasha — I’m glad you ended that with “turn into cute little kittens or something” — I usually hear more like how if you’re diagnosed with X “known dangerous mental illness” then “we” should be able to force you to take meds or be locked up before you can become dangerous. It all gets a bit Minority Report pre-crime about things.

The guy you were discussing though had just gotten out of prison, so better screening when leaving prison? I have no issue, it’s the people who end up saying all mentally ill people (with X conditions) must be medicated for the sake of society, when they’re not criminals, just mentally ill. The treating the mentally ill like pre-criminals irks me the same way pre-pregnancy does basically.

(For extra irony, my last attempt at medication made things worse and this round is a laughing joke of “wait this pill does something? no it doesn’t” — medicating the crazies isn’t really so simple in other words)

Nanasha
Nanasha

I think the problem with this guy is that he was recently let out of a mental health facility after a long list of felony assaults and other really horrible shit. I’m guessing it had more to do with CA not being able to properly deal with inmate crowding, so they let someone out of prison who probably should not be out of prison and he somehow made his way over here (we’re guessing he was bussed over since many municipalities have been slashing and discontinuing homeless services and sending their “hard cases” to Santa Cruz instead).

The problem isn’t mental illness- it’s sending people with SEVERE mental problems and having them coalesce in high density on the streets in a small town with little to no regulation of who gets aid and who is getting proper meds, etc. Many of these people have felony sheets that would wrap around a city block and yet there are few if any background checks or other safeguards in place to help keep the community (and the individuals who are homeless and don’t have a history of violence) safe.

This guy had VERY well known severe extensive violence problems and that coupled with mental illness is a recipe for disaster.

I’m not saying that mental illness is a one-size-fits all sort of thing- I’ve studied mental illness extensively (although I’m not an expert), and I know how it can manifest itself from the very mild to the incredibly severe, and even then there’s no guarantee of violence or criminal behavior.

However, you also have to look at the past behavior of a person, and if that past behavior includes felony-charge violence, then you have to think to yourself- hey, maybe this guy’s mental illness is manifesting itself specifically in a violent way- his paranoid delusions play into his violent outbursts and make him dangerous and prone to things like murdering people.

This is not about black people, the mentally ill or any other group of people in general- this is about an individual with MANY intersectional warning signs that were going off for years before this murder who has now taken a life because no one was willing to heed those signs. And the same goes for control-freak men who eventually murder their spouse/ex and children. Most of these people show many warning signs before they get to the point of murdering people, and the problem is that our legal system and our socialization of people generally does not prepare us for looking at these signs and heeding them.

Which is one reason why I would say that pretty much everyone who can read it should take a look at Gavin Debecker’s “The Gift of Fear.”

It’s like “The Game” for being safe- for picking out predators, for being honest with dangerous factors of human behavior and above all in teaching you to trust yourself and survive an encounter with someone who will do you ill.

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Argenti Aertheri- As someone who lives in a town with a very high number of people with severe mental illnesses roaming the streets, it can be really scary when you encounter at least a couple people who are screaming their heads off and charging you for just walking in public, or people who act like the fucking rage-zombies from 28 Days Later. It is really frightening how many people will sit in the public parks and inject heroin or smoke meth in full view of the police and little to nothing is done about it. I’m more afraid of those who are taking drugs than those who are mentally ill, although many mentally ill self-medicate with these drugs, which can lead to even more unpredictable behavior…and the cycle perpetuates itself.

I can’t go to the local park because it’s full of packs of these people drugging out and leaving hypodermic needles everywhere. I can’t walk my daughter downtown without my husband walking with us because we might encounter some guy who is actively hallucinating and will attempt to attack us with a rusty knife.

And that’s the thing- it’s never for certain- sometimes it’s completely safe, and there’s no one there to do us ill. But other times, there are roving groups of people with their pitbulls off-leash and their shouting and smoking and taking up the sidewalks and aggressively panhandling to the point that you wonder if they’re mugging you but just haven’t pulled a weapon yet.

And I can’t run away from them when I’m dragging a toddler/stroller (and also am pregnant). So I either have to stay in the house, drive everywhere, or ride my bike so I can go fast enough to escape.

And as far as I’m concerned, public spaces should be safe places. You should not have to worry about your personal safety/being attacked when you’re walking down a damn street in the middle of the day. The fact that the streets are safer for dangerous people than they are for the law-abiding citizen says a lot about who is really being protected and catered to by our community.

It makes me sick in the pit of my stomach that so many places have become unsafe- but I have to ask myself- am I willing to just cut my losses and move away or do what I can to take back public spaces so that everyone can enjoy them and the criminals go where they belong- behind bars?

Kyrie
Kyrie

@Shiterotica : I like cats, BF doesn’t really. If we lived together, we would have to discuss it, but it could be problematic. (right know I can’t have one because of where I live) Secondly, if I was living alone (somewhere pets are accepted) I would definitely get one because it brings a kind of companionship.
Correlation is not causation.

Flib
Flib

This thread could use some westies!

Flib
Flib

Although, now that I have my volume on, I thought that was just a quiet video.

Argenti Aertheri

Nanasha — oh gods you’re in CA, their incompetency when it comes to the mentally ill is infamous, and holy shit do they definitely need to fix that shit. Things like this:

“The problem isn’t mental illness- it’s sending people with SEVERE mental problems and having them coalesce in high density on the streets in a small town with little to no regulation of who gets aid and who is getting proper meds, etc.”

“Most of these people show many warning signs before they get to the point of murdering people, and the problem is that our legal system and our socialization of people generally does not prepare us for looking at these signs and heeding them.” — more like the opposite, mention abuse and you’re the trouble maker

“It is really frightening how many people will sit in the public parks and inject heroin or smoke meth in full view of the police and little to nothing is done about it.” — o.O?! That’s #3 of Major Issues in your comments, deinstitutionalization => homelessness is well documented, the one about the courts well known to feminists at least, but this one? Idfk wtf CA, wtf?

Two other thoughts — I’ve heard The Gift of Fear’s chapter on domestic violence reads like if you stay you were asking for it? I haven’t read it myself. And pit bulls (and rotties) can be sweet dogs, depends on the owner, my rottie was a sweetie pie though and a friend of a friend has a kissy face pit bull — not really on topic, but doggie discrimination isn’t fair either. (Which I guess is back on the original topic?)

And instead of doing shit about the budget cuts, it’s 2012 and we’re debating fucking birth control again and about the only thing I’m sure of these days is if a Tardis should crash in my yard I’m not letting him skip 12 years! (That’s a Doctor Who joke because otherwise I just start complaining that I want off this rock like that’s possible or something)

Argenti Aertheri

What’s cuter than a dachshund? A dachshund puppy playing with a mirror!

xardoz

I intercepted a file unearthed by Agent Orange depicting the true misandrist nature of cats:

Warning: the song is terrible.
So terrible, that I’m starting to think it’s a false-flag op by Artistry Against Misandry.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Argenti Aertheri

“THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE” — the truth, in this case, is that that was once Dickens and is now unrecognizable — that’s David Copperfield with cats (idfk)

Funny if that’s seriously the level of “reporting” Agent Orange is doing though — the 90s produced some crap movies, yeah we know.

2-D Man
2-D Man

Jessay said:

You’d be impressed with how many stupid things a person can say in a minute.

“I mentioned that my research into the early pioneers of evolution showed that many of them were simply trying to force science to fit in with their preconceived view that God didn’t exist. So they came up with this theory that species somehow transformed themselves into other species, in order to take God out of the equation. Yet not one valid transitional fossil has ever been found, despite claims to the contrary. And with the discovery of the DNA code, which actually prevents one organism from changing into another organism, the theory of evolution today is in shambles…Although I doubt you’ll hear too many evolutionists admit it, especially after all the trouble they’ve gone through to get it taught in schools.”

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

I have a friend who has, I think, a plausible theory that there’s a link between hatred of cats and misogyny. It’s lot like how racists often have an irrational hatred of hip-hop. Cats are associated with femininity and women, and their loathing of the feminine is so that it rubs off on cats. Even though there’s nothing intrinsically feminine about cats. Anti-feminists often employ “cats” as a way to insult feminists, claiming that if a feminist is fond of cats, that’s somehow surefire evidence of man-hating, which of course is code for an unwillingness to be controlled by men. It’s funny, because cats are the most popular pet in the country, and in the real world, loved by the rich and the poor, men and women, conservative and liberal alike. But for serious misogynists, the association creates a knee-jerk reaction.

This morning I woke up with my fuzzy kittens snuggled in the crook of my arm, touching noses with each other. This attitude honestly baffles me–who couldn’t love these girls?

But I’ve seen the attitudes. When I mention I have adorable kittens, some guys–especially guys with retro views on women–give me grief. They tell me these aren’t manly pets.

If manliness is so easily lost, if it’s incompatible with a life shared with these adorable cats, then color me not interested.

Ithiliana

hAHA! I trumpz you all with the divinely inspired devastating Guinea Pig in a Frog Hat:

xardoz

Oh, the Agent Orange / false-flag thing was just a joke making fun of paranoid MRAs. 🙂

Alpha Asshole Cock Carousel
Alpha Asshole Cock Carousel

Weirdly enough, I like cats and dogs. Does that make me bi?

Argenti Aertheri

Ithiliana — +1 internet for that Guinea Pig in tiny hat, that really is a teeny tiny hat.

xardoz — too bad, I’ll be amused if Agent Orange ends up having nothing but obvious fact is obvious points. Unfortunately I suspect it will be mostly pulling from radfems and then denying that not all feminists are radical feminists. I’m a bit creeped out by the idea they see nothing wrong with lurking in private women only corners of the internet though, kind of just proves why those are needed eh?

jrockford
jrockford

What sticks out to me is that in the first paragraph, he appears to identify Susan Walsh as a “feminist.”

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

Even then, they really see to miss the point of the radfems most the time. How many times have I seen that one quote from Andrea Dworkin used to say feminists think all sex is rape? A reading of the text that is explicitly disavowed. And every time an MRA-type posts that I read it afresh, and it still is such a powerful criticism of the language the culture uses to discuss sex, and the framing, and it’s damn good stuff.

But they think it proves their point?

Pfffffft.

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

I love the adorable critters! They make me smile. Thankyou David.

Happy
Happy

Off topic: An Appeal to David – With almost a thousand followers, can it now be said, using MRA models of evaluation, that Manboobz won the keenly fought internet battle for hearts & minds between MRAs and those opposed to MRAs?

Argenti Aertheri

Howard Bannister — it’s not the big name radical feminists I’m worried about, it’s that he’s lurking in private spaces and thus will likely see quotes like the ones compiled in this comment, and then decide all feminists agree and POOF! (poof here being “we’re not violent you are!”)

Argenti Aertheri

I typo’ed a close tag? that’s impressively stupid…

drst
drst

I support the inclusion of more dogs on this blog (but the sloths creep me out, sorry!)

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Argenti Aertheri-

“apply to the non-violent homeless as well, for example. We deinstitutionalized in favor of homelessness basically, and then there’s the “welfare queen” problem — my week includes proving I’m poor enough to need that money because *drum roll* without it I’d not even be able to afford medicaid Rx pricing — but everyone’s budget for things like giving away free meds, tracking patients, etc? Cut to high heaven.”
______________

This is my hugest fear about losing my current job. I need thyroid medication to function. I have Hashimoto’s Disease, which means that my body attacked my thyroid and killed it, so I have no natural thyroid production. And not taking thyroid meds puts me in a fog, keeps me from absorbing B vitamins and generally wrecks havoc on my body.

If I lost my job or had to go work in retail as a fall-back, I’d be screwed because the cost of these medications is prohibitive if you don’t have access to affordable HMO insurance.
_______________

“more like the opposite, mention abuse and you’re the trouble maker”
_______________

It’s not always this way, but yeah, most of the time people just “can’t believe” that someone who has all the warning signs of going full-on murdering hothead will actually go through with their threats. Instead, victim blaming.

” o.O?! That’s #3 of Major Issues in your comments, deinstitutionalization => homelessness is well documented, the one about the courts well known to feminists at least, but this one? Idfk wtf CA, wtf?”
_______________

The city where I live has turned Marijuana usage into a lowest priority call for the police (ie: no one gets in trouble for rolling a doobie and smoking it in public). Ostensibly, this is nice because people smoking marjiuana tend to be less likely to commit crimes than the meth heads. But yeah, we have a lot of greenbelt areas in our city and the hard drug users hang out in there dealing drugs and doing them all day and it’s really scary.

Plus, yes, there are documented situations where people do hard drugs in the local parks (especially the ones downtown). It’s very common to find at least one hypodermic needle while walking through the park, and that’s fucking sad if you ask me. I think the main problem is the density of these people- and if the police arrest them, the person is just out of jail in a couple of days and out in the park doing it again. So they end up being ineffective and not enforcing the law.
________________

“And CA is still arresting medical marijuana grows aren’t they? But not people shooting up on the street? How does that make any sense?!”
________________

There are still medical marijuana dispenseries in our town, so I don’t think that applies to here.
________________

“Two other thoughts — I’ve heard The Gift of Fear’s chapter on domestic violence reads like if you stay you were asking for it? I haven’t read it myself.”
________________

Not exactly- but it does touch on why people stay and tries to disseminate those reasons to help people who are experiencing it to deal with their learned helplessness in a constructive manner.
________________

“And pit bulls (and rotties) can be sweet dogs, depends on the owner, my rottie was a sweetie pie though and a friend of a friend has a kissy face pit bull — not really on topic, but doggie discrimination isn’t fair either. (Which I guess is back on the original topic?)”
________________

I have no problem with breeds like pit bulls, however, most of these people choose traditionally aggressive/protection dogs to keep with them, and often teach them to be aggressive (ostensibly to fight off the scarier homeless who would victimize them), but then that means you have an animal that has been taught to be aggressive by someone who is probably doing drugs and has other mental health issues and then the dog is let off-leash in public areas. All of which are a recipe for a disaster. I don’t like seeing dogs being destroyed because their owners are irresponsible with them and adding to the stigma of the breed.
_________________

“You’re right about this though — “The fact that the streets are safer for dangerous people than they are for the law-abiding citizen says a lot about who is really being protected and catered to by our community.” — not sure it’s really got much to do with how to handle mentally ill criminals (or more particularly, those though might become criminal) so much as they both have to do with shitty budget cuts.”
_________________

That’s the thing- I think the problem is that our area gets federal funding for the more homeless who go there, so other municipalities are slashing their own programs and bussing their hardest most intense cases here, which leads to a high density population of dangerous homeless people to the point that I’ve talked to some of the more “mild” homeless who feel deeply unsafe and are actually leaving the city because of this. So we get more of the dangerous criminal street-people and less of the people who actually could use some help because they want to get off the streets and get clean/help.

*sigh*

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

@Argenti–

Ugh, true.

But even then, some of those stood out as not quite belonging with the others.

“Even if we killed off 90% of men, the majority of women left over would do their best to keep the oppressive system. I’d dare say we’d have to kill off all the women too and leave the little girls and radfems to create the utopia.”

The critical idea there is that just removing men doesn’t remove patriarchy. Because it’s taught, and it’s taught just as much if not more to women. (I still remember one male feminist and his great talk on this… “Why is so critical to St. Paul that women internalize this submission? Why does he repeat it over and over again? Why? What’s so dangerous about it? Is this not normal and natural–wouldn’t they go that way anyway? Why does he need to indoctrinate the women with it before telling them men?”)

But does the guy putting the quotes together pull enough brainpower together to realize that this quote is critical of the ‘kill the men’ idea? No. He throws it on the list of radfems saying kill the men.

Critical evaluation of ideas; examining premises. After all, we must reject kittens for not being manly. And apparently all feminist arguements are too womanly. Evaluating the actual contents of misandric quotes sounds HAAAAAAAARRRD.

Argenti Aertheri

Nanasha — we really need socialized medicine and legal reform already! Everything from the victim blaming in family court to open drug use to off leash dogs, it’s all technically illegal now, so why is enforcing it so damned impossible? Because “The Court is a Pirate Ship”? (I should almost thank sovereign citizens, I’m musing using that as a title for a Dadaist something or other)

“It’s very common to find at least one hypodermic needle while walking through the park, and that’s fucking sad if you ask me.” — agreed, and I wasn’t questioning your observation skills, just baffled that CA could give a shit about marijuana (particularly for medical use) while ignoring hard drugs — the paradox was confusing me, but I guess your local cops don’t care about either (or anything else from the sound of it)

I was going to say something about “finding the cracks in the system” but “the system” is all cracks anymore isn’t it? >.<