antifeminism cuteness evil fat fatties evil women idiocy kitties lying liars misandry misogyny MRA

Argumentum ad Kittypicturem: A Rebuttal

Manosphere doofuses have a wide assortment of excuses for dismissing this blog without actually having to deal with anything I’ve ever actually said.  There’s the old “you’re a misandrist bigot so I don’t have to read anything of yours to know what you think” argument; no evidence of the alleged misandry is ever given. There’s the old “you call yourself Man Boobz and that’s a silly name so I can pretend that nothing you say counts” excuse; actually, I call you guys the “man boobz,” but never mind. Then there’s the old “he’s fat” chestnut. (See the next-to-last pic here.)

My favorite excuse, though, is a little logical fallacy you might call “argumentum ad kittypicturem.” That is, the claim that I can’t be taken seriously because sometimes I post pictures of adorable kitties. I’m not sure why these pictures confuse and infuriate misogynists to the extent that they do, but I’m sort of happy this is the case, because every time I run across it, it gives me an excuse to POST MORE KITTY PICTURES.

This time the kitty picture hater is the lying liar Dalrock, whom we’ve met several times before—most recently when he complained about women taking jobs from men by “playing career woman much the way that Marie Antoinette played peasant and Zoolander’s character played coal miner.”

In a post with the ponderous yet somehow also very silly title “We need worthy adversaries,” Dalrock dismisses my blog as one of the unworthy ones, the only example of said unworthiness being this post I made featuring pictures of several adorable  kittens.

Here is my rebuttal:

Yes, that’s a hedgehog. Let’s see how they deal with THAT!

Cliff Pervocracy

Hedgehog is a pretty important point. But have you considered guinea pig?

long time lurker
long time lurker

doesn’t penultimate mean next to last?

jodioli

The hedgehog is making me dizzy, but oh, the cuteness! And…speaking of guinea pigs:

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

The best part of his post was this video:

“For the love of god, will someone please canonize the white man?”

Saw an old comment of Magdelyn’s on one of the old debate posts:

I just read your rebuttle to Paul Elam. Your argument is useless. Why? You cite Kimmel, Nomas, xyonline and finallyfeminism101. All advocacy research by advocacy researchers producing hate speech against men. If your argument had any merit, you could find legitimate sources. But, you rely on the male feminist circle jerk of half-men “academics.”

But, it does elucidate where your philosphy is foundationed. Yuck.

Half-men? Surely she meant Halflings, because someone who loves men as much as she does would not stoop to insulting men on the basis of their gender for the ideas they happen to espouse. Now, to look up these Hobbit feminist academics; I am very curious about the unique perspectives the Shire brings to feminist theorizing and research.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

@Cliff: I’m afraid the Guinea Pig is simply no replacement for the Hamster when it comes to serious argumentation.

cloudiah

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I remember the guy bathing his hedgehog! See, MRAs, feminists don’t hate men – every feminist-leaning blog I’ve ever seen that posted on has exploded with excitement about not just the hedgehog, but the hot tattooed guy holding the hedgehog and being adorable.

cloudiah

@CassandraSays That’s just ‘cos wimmenz like tatted-up thugs instead of Nice Guys™.

(But seriously, I love that video/gif.)

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

I totally just scrolled through “Here is my rebuttal” and the kitty pictures while listening to the closing credits soundtrack from Thor. Apt.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

red_locker

“Only an MRA could look at a man lovingly bathing his pet and conclude that he must be a thug. Not that I’m disagreeing with you – both MRAs and PUAs would react to that video with a spiel about hypergamy and women being attracted to assholes.”

Cute animal vids? Hypergamy. Blog posts? Hypergamy. Taking a shit? Hypergamy.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Taking a shit? Hypergamy.

Toilets are alphas, butts are sluts!

felixBC
felixBC

There’s a video y’all might like to watch, on the culture of Reddit. Including interviews with two female SRSers, about countering “rampant sexism”.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Good lord. The OP is so… weird.

Alright, so the MRM is seriously lacking intelligent opponents. They’ve beaten every challenge with logic and rigor, and fended off those clowns who dared to cross them. Which is why the MRM is mainstream, widely accepted everywhere, and considered to be a parogon of rational thought and wisdom. …. Right?

Alright, so the SPLC labled them a hate group, and yet they also had this conversation:

SPLCer1: Seriously? That is who we are going to list as the counterpoint to the manosphere? I don’t use the word mangina, but come on, this guy is a mangina! Are you sure the manosphere didn’t make him up just to make us look like fools?

SPLCer2: I know. But who else are we going to point to? He’s all we’ve got!

XD I’m just gonna repeat that there. “I don’t use the word mangina, but come on, this guy is a mangina.” Wat? If this is true, why are they labeling the manosphere a hate group if they secretly agree with it? Spite? Insecurity? Good old groundless, motiveless evil-for-the-sake-of evil?

Oh, then there’s this in the comments.

Wow. What a pargon of intellectual steel the MRM is.

cloudiah

I know, he’s so gentle with his hedgehog, that is what makes it so sweet. Hypergamy! 😉

That guinea pig stampede video! Git along little piggies… Cliff, is that your guinea pig? I’m petting him via my computer screen.

Here’s my cat Buster watching coyly as Hazel comes to investigate my camera: http://i.imgur.com/TdqU2.jpg

Wisteria
Wisteria

“That is, the claim that I can’t be taken seriously because sometimes I post pictures of adorable kitties.”

The obvious answer to this is to post pictures and videos of adorable puppies!

Kitties = feminine, not serious

Puppies = masculine, serious

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Oh, I probably should be posting cute videos of animals rather than of a guy doing an extraordinarily painful “parody” that’s about as biting as… a puppy’s piddle on a rug. Hmm…

Baby bunnies in cups! Oh yes.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

Half-men?

Jessay (@jessay)

Since this is a silly post, it’s the perfect opportunity to post this silly video I made just for you guys (I tagged it with Men’s Rights because lol, can’t wait for down votes)

Myoo
Myoo

David’s not a worthy opponent? And here I thought he was one of the bishops of feminism (I wonder who the other ones are).

Amanda Marcotte (@AmandaMarcotte)

I have a friend who has, I think, a plausible theory that there’s a link between hatred of cats and misogyny. It’s lot like how racists often have an irrational hatred of hip-hop. Cats are associated with femininity and women, and their loathing of the feminine is so that it rubs off on cats. Even though there’s nothing intrinsically feminine about cats. Anti-feminists often employ “cats” as a way to insult feminists, claiming that if a feminist is fond of cats, that’s somehow surefire evidence of man-hating, which of course is code for an unwillingness to be controlled by men. It’s funny, because cats are the most popular pet in the country, and in the real world, loved by the rich and the poor, men and women, conservative and liberal alike. But for serious misogynists, the association creates a knee-jerk reaction.

ragefromthebasement

Proof that manboobz hates teh men’s: no doggy pictures!

Misandry!

Sharculese

magdelyn belongs to the ‘everything i disagree with is ideology, everything i agree with is unassailable truth’ school of pretending to have something to say

BigKitty
BigKitty

OK, that was really uncalled-for, PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth. Now I am completely bewitched, charmed and mesmerized by baby sloths. Awwwwwwww!

Amanda Marcotte (@AmandaMarcotte)

Well, that and the stupid factor, too. Mustn’t underrate that when it comes to reactionaries. I had one screeching on Twitter that opinion pieces I write for, you know, actual publications online should all be disregarded because at Pandagon, we let it hang out a little with jokes about cheesy movies and songs.

Sharculese

you don’t get to choose the people who oppose you, the people who oppose you choose it themselves

yeah, it’s a problem for mras that the site thats become their biggest adversary is kind of goofy, but that’s just indicative of the level of response they deserve

princessbonbon

I am not apologizing for teh adorable Bigkitty.

Because look at that:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Leeloo Dallas Multipass

“Zoolander’s character”?

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

cloudiah

Just want to remind you that some MRA’s love cats, and draw very important lessons from their behavior.

ragefromthebasement

Someone in the MRM should send Bernard some money (or a gift card to Walmart) so he can buy some props. I can’t believe how cheap this guy is. His bedroom probably consists of a mattress on the floor with a ratty wool Army blanket.

BigKitty
BigKitty

On a more serious note, Amanda Marcotte brings up an interesting point. For example, misogynists often try to insult women by saying that if they fail to please men, they will end up “alone” with their cat(s).

Just as a thought experiment – would anybody ever suggest that a man, living with his beloved dog, was “alone,” because his dog was insufficient company? No. It’s only when a woman lives with her kitties that a human living with beloved pets is considered to be a pathetic loser.

It’s so sad – most humans, men and women, love their pets, and it shouldn’t be controversial or challenging for us all to agree that our pets are wonderful, lovable and dear. How did loving pets become a MRA-issue?

ragefromthebasement

Wasn’t there a study about how men smell bad when they don’t have a woman or sexual partner? Like they give off weird pheromones that turn women off when they’re celibate.

Shadow
Shadow

I counter your baby sloth with good ol’ Barry

Bee
Bee

Kitties = MISANDRY!!!

Pugs eating bananas are the alpha thugs of the animal kingdom. TOTES irresistible. I’ll admit it. I ride the alpha pug carousel, uh huh.

Newbie
Newbie

Thank you, thank you, thank you for finally putting up a post re: Dalrock! What a vile, nasty and stupid man he seems to be, claiming to be a “Christian”. The comments he puts up are not Christian.

Post after post after post is about Game, like it’s So Important, and men being “Leaders”.

They are trying to intellectualize Game, which is Un Fucking Readable. Absolute Babble. Absolutely Pathetic.

Dalrock wrote, “Feminism is trying to turn my daughter into a whore and that infuriates me”. You can’t make that shit up.

clairedammit
clairedammit

Here is a baby capybara for everyone.

Misandry!

valerienorth
valerienorth

If loving a cat is wrong than I don’t wanna be right.

2-D Man
2-D Man

I like that second picture with the kitten photobombing in the foreground.
Today at work I was going through our collection of pictures of oil-recovery equipment and in one of them, my boss’ dog is sitting in the background photobombing a picture of a skimmer.

Bee
Bee

I think we can all agree that our MRA friends have really wonderful arguments, but have they considered … chinchillas?

Newbie
Newbie

The black & white one is so sweet…and sleepy. And baby tigers!

Dalrock was angry he wasn’t included on the ACLU list & called them “commies”. He’s also a big time gun owner. He took it upon himself to announce to the world wide web that his wife was a virgin when they got married.

It’s like a certain branch of the MRM: saying they’re Christian, obsessed with biblical patriarchy, angry at certain evangelical (?) pastors.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Holy crap, the second one from the top looks almost EXACTLY like Kamikaze as a kitten! No argument can stand against the awesome power of such cuteness!

cendare

I can’t believe you have all failed to consider the obvious wisdom of husky. puppies.

Nanasha
Nanasha

Aw, David- you’re so awesome- it doesn’t matter what you look like physically- on the internetz, we are judged by the contents of our brains and our abilities to convey our thoughts. It is a cheap (and irrelevant) dig to try and insult someone’s appearance (which, ostensibly, has nothing to do with your thoughts or quality therein), and yet it’s the go-to excuse (beyond implying or outright threatening violence) for these MRA schmucks.

Ok, I’m not just gushing about the blog- I’m gushing about TEH CUTENEZZ. Seriously- there are some days that I get up and see the most recent round of MRA nonsense and think “WHAT IS THE POINT OF EVEN TRYING WITH THESE YAHOOS?” And then there are kittehs, and suddenly things are better. Ahhhhh, now for some tea, and some cute youtube searching of cute kitty videos. 🙂

Nanasha
Nanasha

@Jessay- HOLY CRAP, that voice sounds like me! O_O

But I would think that I would have remembered reading that piece of “MRA treasure” aloud, lol.

I have a husband, a child, and I’m older than 26….and sometimes I buy scented candles with money from my job, which I work at for a reasonable wage (apple candles that smell like actual apples are SO AMAZING but to be fair my husband likes anything with lavender in it). In fact, I’m probably going to have to support my husband for awhile while he’s looking for a job because he’s getting to the end of his rope on graveyard shift and it’s looking like there are hardly any options available for him to move to.

It’s amazing how MRAs will argue that women are powerless and can’t do shit, and then turn around and say things like “oh, women ruined EVERYTHING!”

Uh….HUH?! O_o DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I RAN OUT OF D’AWWWW.

DAMN YOU ALL.

I think you will find that the MRM has failed to account for Snoopy the Exotic Shorthair.

1 2 3 4