antifeminism bad boys grandiosity MRA shit that never happened

A “die hard MRA and hard rock fan” sends Rebecca Watson his drunken manifesto. Also, he’s 19.

You’re going to need one of these, dude.

People! Rebecca Watson of Skepchick has just received a most awesome drunken email manifesto from a hard-rockin young MRA by the name of Jimmy Zinn. Here are some selected excerpts, but you’ll want to go read the whole thing.

My name is Jimmy Zinn and I’m a die hard MRA and hard rock fan. I’m 19 years old, and I’m not to happy with the current state of affairs. I’ve decided to dedicate my life to what I’m calling the three revolutions- the hard rock revolution, the Men’s rights revolution, and the life extension revolution …

Two of these are indirectly pointed at people like you- bigoted feminists who marginialize and trivailize* the male gender, promoting sexist and discrimination attitudes, and fighting vivaciously for the very thing you vehemently claim to be so against- gender inequality.

Yes, he did say “fighting vivaciously.”

After a bit more manifestoing he tells Rebecca his (alleged) life story:

Things at home weren’t going particularly well- girls with lower GPAs and poor extra ciriculars were getting scholarships that boys with perfect 4.0s were not, and since I’, one of the poor privileged white males, I couldn’t afford college. Getting a job was tricky to- I was told on more than one occasion “we aren’t hiring white males right now.” … After 23 interviews/applications, I was left still jobless.

I also become of the privileged white males who developed heart problems at age 18, but of course, couldn’t afford a doctor. I was going to go to a free heart screening at a local college, but whoops…. “FEMALES ONLY”, courtesy of the “Women’s radical feminist men hating Heart association of a women-only America”, or whatever it was called.

Yeah, that totally happened.

So he hitched a ride on a freight train (allegedly) and headed to … Hollywood:

Rebecca, I am going to radical alter our society in the next year. I am going to start the greatest hard rock 1986 GNR-esqe band the world has ever seen. There is an army, millions strong, of angry people, and especially young males seething at the lack of justice and outlet for their rage. I fear a violent revolution is near, and I’m not in favor of that idea at all. Instead, why not give them a kick-ass 24/7 rock n roll party, tearing through the country with blistering blues-based rock, finally giving red-blooded masculinity a place in American culture again. I am going to fight the bigoted feminist you propagate, and start the largest social movement since the 60s…the Mens rights revolution.

I’m in hollywood right now, partying, crusin’ down sunset strip, spreading the MRA message …

We’re coming, Rebecca. The walls of mass social delusional, ignorance and apathy will crumble down as justice and non-autotuned music will triumph in the streets. You will fight back, I’m sure, but you will lose, and you will lose badly. In 3 years time, you WILL live in an American of true gender equality, but I’m not sure it’s going to take the direction you expect!

Go to Skepchick to read the rest!

Falconer
Falconer

If he does start a blog, as he’s threatening to do, I expect it would be highly illegal for me to request that he get wasted to an equal or greater degree as he was when he wrote the email to Skepchick, since it would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor, or at least encouraging alcohol consumption by the underage.

So I’m not going to do that. ::shifty eyes::

cloudiah

Did I really spam you with about 800 music videos last night? My apologies. I left my laptop logged in and unattended, and the kittens must have taken over.

My thoughtful morning contribution to the discussion is this: http://qkme.me/3pg1pq

Freemage
Freemage

I’m just going to say, “Jimmy Zinn and the Life-Extension Revolution” would make an AWESOME band name… for a Grateful Dead cover band. They’d get beaten up and left in the alley behind any self-respecting hard rock club.

Sharculese

motherfucker did i miss 80s punk hour

fine, that doesn’t mean im not gone post punk rock milhouse again

Foxipher Jones
Reply to  cloudiah

Cloudiah is my hero. XD Rationalization Hamster makes me smile.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

This was the most hilarious thing I’ve seen this month, not counting a video of Gilbert Gottfried reading Fifty Shades of Grey.

It looks like some privileged little shit has gone and got himself all hopped up on MRA rhetoric and thinks he knows what he’s talking about. It’s quite precious actually.

He also reminds me of a guy I used to know who only listened to AC/DC and declared all other music trash. He was an asshole too.

Hershele Ostropoler

Y’know … people do illegal shit all the time. Not every hiring manager has 1000 lawers up zir ass, it’s possible there’s one who sincerely but erroneously believes there’s a quota. I still don’t know why zie would make Jimmy shlep in for the interview before telling him this, though.

For that matter, it’s possible there are jobs reserved for women or POC. I’ve gotten a job I suspect was reserved for Jews. But that’s usually people who know it’s illegal and aren’t about to tell rejected applicants that’s why they were rejected.

Crumbelievable:

I get that one of those points is the men’s rights revolution…what does feminism have to do with the other two?

Chances are it’s the music one, none of this supposedly feminized shit Jimmy claims to hear everywhere, but since she’s a skeptic it may be life extension.

Weatherby:

1941 may have been the year of Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon, but it was also the year of dozens if not hundreds of movies that were quickly forgotten within weeks and which are now known only to the most doggedly dedicated scholars and the nerdiest film geeks (the two categories by no means being mutually exclusive) because nobody else has any sensible motive for digging them up.

I think easliy 2/3 of the mechanism behind the nostalgia filter is comparing the best of the past with everything today.

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

Soooo… where exactly does he think Guns ‘n Roses WENT? I mean, does he realize they still play basically the same sound? That anybody with a nostaliga-on for them can just go catch them in concert? Admittedly it’s not the same, but, hey, Slash has a newish album out and I hear it’s pretty good. But I got over GNR and have been heavy into stuff this dude hates lately.

But if he thinks millions are going to be tuning in to see him because somehow they can’t get enough GNR-style rock from GNR….

Hmm. The logic, it burns!!!

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

Follow-up to my previous comment, because the awful parralel hit me right after I posted it.

The dudely values he loves–they haven’t gone anywhere either. The same-old same-old is still running around. He wants to tell me how oppressed guys are, but tell me more about this gender-based wage gap, fella! Huh, still favors the men?

All right, then.

He’s living in a fantasy-land where the reason GNR isn’t on the radio is some kind of conspiracy to keep down music everybody loves. No, it’s because the rest of us are over them. And the reason the male-supremacist views you love are also down? Because so many people now see it for the utter hateful garbage it is.

cloudiah

I love his tiny little photoshopped thumbs: http://qkme.me/3pg2t0

Sharculese

@hershele

the thing is, the people who say things like that want you to believe that employment law mandates that you use hiring quotas, which is literally the opposite of true. of course it’s true that some businesses fuck up and use something that looks like a quota, although i’d argue that the largest contributing factor is most employers don’t know what the fuck, and faced with the perceived risk of a discrimination suit are likely to panic and make a bad decision.

but dudes like jimmy zinn are trying to make you believe this practice is established by law, which is why it’s important to point out how wrong they are.

Sharculese

only ‘mandates’ what supposed to be highligted

testing to see if i broke italics again

Sharculese

i wonder if by ‘poor extra ciriculars’ jimmy just means activities that demonstrate admirable qualities but that he personally disapproves of, like i dunno, step team or something

Hershele Ostropoler

@Sharculese: Of course the law doesn’t say that, but it’s broadly plausible he was told actually that, not just something that turned into that when filtered through MRA!brain.

M Dubz

…Shit. I just realized this kid was born in 1992 or 1993. I kind of want to sit him down, get him some hot tea, and explain the ways of Not Being An Asshole. He clearly hasn’t lived long enough to figure it out for himself yet.

Shaenon

” I was told on more than one occasion “we aren’t hiring white males right now.””

This never happened.

I said this in the original thread, but nothing in that paragraph happened. Especially the women-only free heart screenings which for some reason he needed after being diagnosed with a heart condition.

On the one hand, I dearly want to make fun of this guy. On the other hand, I remember being 19 and stupid.

I had no internet access until college, and thus the world was saved from much “Star Trek” fanfiction.

M Dubz

@Shaenon- Now I want to read your youthful Start Trek Fanfiction. Preferably illustrated, because your illustrations are teh shit.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Another semi-plausible theory on “we’re not hiring white males right now” — he was applying for an acting/modelling job that specified race/gender, I’m fairly sure race discrimination is illegal there too (it definitely still happens, even overtly) but “sorry this part is a female role” is standard fare in acting roles. This would also explain how he had an “interview” — he showed up for an open casting call, for women, and then get pissy that they said no men? That almost makes sense in MRA land.

I could see MRAs reading “seeking female lead” as “no men allowed because we’re Misandrist!!!!” (meanwhile, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a female lead that wasn’t a love story of some variety or other)

James
James

“* I’m sure you’ll be quick to point out on your blog that this is a felony and I am a criminal…whats interest that if a woman did the same you’d laud her as a “bad-ass heroine” or “kick-ass chik” or some nonsense.”

James’s Rule of Debate #2:
If your debate hinges on saying “You’re probably think this, but if something else happened then you’d think this other thing”, you probably have a pretty weak argument.

Naira
Naira

@Shaenon: I’m sure that a lot of people were exactly as naive as this guy (in their own special ways) but were saved from having their naivete be this public and widespread ONLY for the fact they had no forum to spread it.

I have a folder of Gundam Wing, LOTR, AND X-Man fanfic that I wasn’t able to put on the internet (or didn’t realize that I could). When I was a kid, you put your rants in a pretty journal or diary with a crappy lock that your brother would try to pick.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

It’s really hard to make fun of this guy. He’s just so fun—dare I say vivacious?

Oh, what the heck, I’ll try:

Part of the reason vivacious is such a funny word to use in the context he does:

(esp. of a woman) Attractively lively and animated.

I wish he would troll us!

Quackers
Quackers

There is an army

yeah well over here there is a hulk…a she-hulk…you know, cuz feminists are big and angry and masculine hyuk hyuk

cloudiah

@Tulgey I lurv those.

OSHIII
OSHIII

I don’t know, Naira. I don’t remember being [i]that[/i] dumb at 19.

In all fairness, i DID still think saying you were wasted online was awesome, but that was because my family had a “no alcohol ever because JEEZUS” policy, and because I’d been kept isolated my whole life, with no opportunity to socialize, much less learn normal behavior, with 9/10th of our TV channels locked and entertainment screened by them, and no internet access until well after everyone else had got it. In my mind, drinking was ever so naughty.

darksidecat
darksidecat

On scholarships and race http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/study-white-students-more-likely-win-scholarships-12525

On hiring and race http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/09/study-black-man-and-white-felon-same-chances-for-hire/

On hiring and gender http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1971-07201-001, http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1855441,00.html even within female dominated jobs http://qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/111/3/915.short

On sexuality and gender identity http://escholarship.ucop.edu/uc/item/5h3731xr#page-1

These myths are total bullshit as a factual matter, they are just thin excuses that privileged groups use to deny that they are the ones who are in fact given systematic advantages. Privileged people tend to think that they have rights over everything and everything is theirs by right, so whenever a marginalized person gets anything, it must a tragedy and theft. Also, they often think they are better than marginalized people, so if a marginalized person is chosen over them, it must be because of unfairness, not because the marginalized person was better.

Howard Bannister
Howard Bannister

These myths are total bullshit as a factual matter,

Oh, but didn’t you see? He was going to debunk that whole ‘wage gender gap’ nonsense! Presumably by unmaking reality as it stands and denying every study on the subject ever.

Kendra, the bionic mommy
Kendra, the bionic mommy

That letter, it’s just comedy gold. He’s going to travel the US and spread the MRM message using the POWER OF ROCK. It sounds like the plot of a Jack Black movie, if Jack Black were an entitled misogynist whiner.

I won’t criticize his taste in music, though. I admit I have some Guns N’ Roses songs on my own mp3 player. I have a lot of musical guilty pleasures, like Rascal Flatts, Brooks and Dunn, Gwen Stefani, Ace of Base, Bon Jovi, and Garth Brooks. I don’t know hardly any music from the last ten years besides Lady Gaga and Katie Perry. So yeah, I have no room to talk here.

cloudiah

I grew up surrounded by exactly these kinds of privileged people, and this is such an accurate description of them. Also, they often feel so naturally entitled to be chosen that they underperform in things like job interviews, whereas other candidates know they have to be well-prepared and at their best.

nwoslave

Look, it’s really quite simple, is there a quota system in place for employment, education, ect? The answer is undeniably yes. By stealing money from the serfs, the state employs a massive 22 million people. Any company wanting to sell food, furniture, clothing or anything to the state must comply.

What’s the difference between hanging a sign saying, “blacks need not apply,” and a government that mandates X amount of women must be hired? The end result is the same, the hatred is the same. Women have lobbied for and endorsed the sign that now reads, “men need not apply.” Unless of course you believe men as a whole thought it’d be a grand idea.

Foxipher Jones
Reply to  nwoslave

Oh my, is this our first troll? Oh, frabjous day!

Foxipher Jones

First on this entry, I mean. Not his first comment.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@nwo:

… that it’s illegal. Institutions are allowed to take factors like race and sex into account when they make decisions, but actually putting a number on those is illegal.

Go on, what’s the difference?

That wasn’t a joke? Oh.

Yeah, see… the difference is that in the first case, an in-power group is discriminating against the disenfranchised, while in the second case an in-power group is trying to make up for a history of discrimination by forcing employers to be more inclusive.

And the second thing is still illegal. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

The answer is undeniably yes, so he doesn’t bother to support the assertion with any evidence. It’s just that undeniable.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Tulgey Logger:

I have denied the undeniable. I am either the greatest mortal that has ever lived, or the greatest fool.

Hmm…

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I love NWO’s logic here…

1. The government has instantiated a policy of “men need not apply.”
2. Either men or women must have lobbied extensively for this to occur.
3. Men writing this law? What a stupid idea.
4. Women lobbied extensively for this law (from 1, 2, and 3)

I guess NWO didn’t really work out exactly who women were lobbying. If they have to be lobbying to pass policy, then it follows that they aren’t the ones writing policy. Which means men are writing the policy. Which means men were convinced that it would be a good policy. Which means “men as a whole thought it’d be a grand idea.”

Hank
Hank

Nwoslave – what the hell are you on about?

Dracula
Dracula

Oh! I know! The former actually happened, and the latter is another of your paranoid delusions.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

@kirby:

Indubitably!

Cliff Pervocracy

Are we playing the “make up things that are laws” game? Ooh, fun!

It’s a law in all US states that men must wear clown noses outdoors at all times. (That’s not bad grammar; men aren’t allowed indoors.) Granted, it’s rarely enforced, but it can be called upon at any time to put any man in jail indefinitely.

The only ways for men to be safe are to stand outside with a clown nose, or to troll feminist blogs until the law is repealed.

It’s a REAL LAW and you’re a misandrist if you ask which one.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Oh, dear. NWO has lost touch with reality. Again. Or is that he’s still completely and utterly out of touch? I can never keep track.

cloudiah

This one’s for NWO: http://qkme.me/3pg6py

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I have grown to hate music snobs too. I used to be one! But then I realised how obnoxious I was being, and decided to knock it off. There are a few ways in which you can say that a piece of music is objectively bad. In fact, I once had a long conversation with someone about how off-key is an actual thing and yes your favorite singer being off-key is objectively a flaw in his performance, even though in his case it’s because he has hearing problems and can’t hear himself well enough to correct it when performing live – still objectively a flaw, not a stylistic choice that’s super mega awesome. Even in that case, though, I wouldn’t say “this singer is crap”, I’d just say that he has an obvious problem in terms of live shows that it isn’t really possible to fix, so either you can live with that or you can’t in terms of going to the shows. But in terms of stuff that’s just “I don’t like this band and I think this genre is uncool, therefore it’s crap”, I have very little patience with that. There are entire genres that I despise, but so what? Doesn’t mean that sneering at people who like them makes me super cool and awesome, doing that would just make me kind of mean.

I think what started the process of un-snobbifying me was the realization of the patterns in which music that’s mostly popular with women is always looked down upon by music snobs, as is anything pop. But the Beatles were a pop band, and people love them, so it’s not even as if these things are consistently applied. There are some pretty obvious social dynamics at work there.

On the “everything was better in the old days” stuff, it really is a demonstration of the 90% of everything is crap rule. If you look at old stuff that’s still known about, it tends to be the 10% that was actually good, and if you didn’t live through the time period in question you probably won’t be aware of the 90% that was crap, so you’re not getting a realistic picture.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I think feeling the “ugh this crap is terrible, why would you listen to that?” response is fine, it’s just running around trying to make other people feel embarrassed about their taste in music that’s a bit obnoxious.

jimmy zinn
jimmy zinn

http://immyzinn7.blog.com DIS B DA BLOG 2 CHANGE DA WORLD! read daily and you will be converted! mens rights revolution is near!

chocomintlipwax

I can’t figure out what the image at the top of this post is. It looks to me like the shrunken head of Mystery.

As for music snobbery, I feel like there are definitely singers who are objectively bad (and if you like them, then your taste is certainly in question). But if it’s a stylistic issue, then that’s something else entirely. If you like screamy death metal and I don’t, that’s a taste issue. The singer might be very good at screamy “singing.” If the singer is totally off-key or uses a weirdly inconsistent vibrato or requires a lot of auto-tuning to even be listenable, then … that’s where things get objective.

Something weird I noticed is that the vocalist is the one role where someone can be absolute shit and still have fans. If you were a shitty drummer or a shitty guitarist, people wouldn’t let that fly. Shitty singer? Could still have loads of fans. Kind of like shitty authors-who-shall-remain-nameless. (I once had someone make the argument that because something I didn’t like was a bestseller it must be good. The discussion got broken up before I could shout, “BUT WHAT ABOUT TWILIGHT???”)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I think it’s partly because people do think of a lot of vocal flaws as stylistic issues. I’ve had that “no, this person really is off key” or “no, really, he’s singing way out of his range and it sounds thin and strained” conversation many times.

If we’re talking specific examples – Vince Neil. Regardless of whether or not you like Motley Cure, on a technical level there’s no question that Neil is an awful singer.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Crue, not Cure. Maybe Motley Cure would be Motley Crue with a singer who doesn’t sound like he’s straining to hit even the easiest notes.

jennydevildoll

I would think someone with a 4.0 GPA could spell “extracurricular”.

I bet Slash would toooootally back me on that point.

jennydevildoll

Oh, my bad. I hadn’t clicked through to the full letter to realize that he was “completely smashed on 100% California Night Train” when he wrote that. BITCHIN!!!!!!!

Wait, wasn’t Slash a Wild Turkey man?