a voice for men antifeminism disgusting women evil women hypocrisy irony alert misandry misogyny MRA none dare call it conspiracy oppressed men reactionary bullshit we hunted the mammoth

Heads, you’re a misandrist. Tails, you’re also a misandrist.

Watch out for the Misandry Bears and their giant Misandry Teeth.

You may recall a post I did the other day about Roger Ebert’s recent claim that women are superior to men. You may also recall that my basic thesis was that Ebert was completely wrong. Heck, you didn’t even have to read my post to see what my stance was; I made it clear in the title itself, which started off with the words “no, women aren’t better than men.”

Well, apparently my saying explicitly that women are not superior to men, and approvingly quoting another feminist saying the same thing, was too much to handle for the proprietor of an exciting new blog chronicling how wrong and bad I and my commetariat are. Mikhael Varpole of the imaginatively named Anti-Man Boobz blog (motto: “Exposing Man Boobz as a vile hate cult”) wrote about Ebert’s claim, and my response, in a recent post.

Here’s what he wrote:

Naturally, Futrelle and the boob gallery had to get in on the action. To his credit, Futrelle doesn’t condone Ebert’s misandry- but then again Dave’s always been a sneaky one that way. He won’t stand in solidarity with Ebert- but note that he’s happy to spin an instance of bold-faced misandry into an opportunity to bash MRAs who are righteously angry, ultimately concluding:

Guys, I hate to have to tell you this, but you’re sort of making it look like Ebert might have a point.

Remember what I said about subtle bigotry? This is a prime example. Misandry and misandric attitudes are dismissed in our culture because the concept itself is seen as illegitimate. And by portraying AVfM’s righteous anger as childish and “proving Ebert’s point”, Futrelle is knowingly and consciously destroying the legitimacy of misandry as a concept. It’s psychological manipulation on a global scale, and it’s downright sinister. And Futrelle, along with his lickspittle toadies, are happily contributing to the anti-male conspiracy.

Yes, explicitly stating that women aren’t superior to men is an exceedingly subtle form of misandry indeed.

Oh, and in case you’ve forgotten what the allegedly “righteous” anger of the AVFM crowd looks like, here’s are a couple of excerpts from the angry screeds I quoted from in my post:

Feminism has provided today’s pampered princesses with the privilege-stuffed, consequence-free Nirvana that they believe they’re entitled to. Do you really think they can be swayed with reason and logic?

And:

[E]verything on this earth from the knickers these women wear on their fat buts, all the way through to just about every single thing they touch in their day, up to and including homes, buildings, cars, trains, rockets, and the food they stuff down their throats, has all been either invented or produced by those useless ‘less than’ human, men.

That doesn’t sound so much like “subtle bigotry” as “just straight-up bigotry.” This is anger of an exceedingly un-righteous kind.

Well, after receiving some gentle mockery at the hands of the Man Boobz commetariat – sorry, at the hands of my “lickspittle toadies” – Varpole posted a comment here trying to clarify his stance.

I disdain commenting here for obvious reasons, but I have to clarify that subtle or “benign” misandry can be as damaging as overt bigotry- moreso, even, because it’s harder to call out. Radfem-level misandry can usually be dismissed (usually). But less overt displays of male-hatred are very difficult, because the concept has no veracity in a misandric, male-hating, anti-man culture. A culture, by the way, that MEN set up, and MEN continue to run, at both the low and high levels.

Well, this is an interesting thesis. Men – sorry, MEN – created the world as we know it, and run things – and yet have decided to set up a culture that is “male-hating [and] anti-man.” How would that even work?

After several commenters – sorry, toadies – asked him to explain this mysterious paradox, Varpole posted a clarification of his clarification on his blog.

First, I admit that “men maintain the culture” is an oversimplification. Obviously, that’s not true- certainly not today, arguably not ever. There are women police officers, women in government, women farmers, women firefighters, etc. Women do contribute to the maintenance of civilization. Not as much as men, but nonetheless.

On the other hand, women, feminists, and their assorted mangina lackeys have a disproportionate influence in the media and pop culture. Feminists and their dogs control the messages beamed at us through music, video games, and Hollywood. They have the print news media.  They control primary education (how many teachers are men?) and thus the shaping of our youth. The infamous SOPA was almost certainly backed by feminists, in an attempt to bring the Internet (not coincidentally, the primary holdout of MRAs) under their control. Even when it is a male hand holding the pen, a male voice speaking into the mic, they are generally manginas who kowtow to female demands (see: Roger Ebert; Bill Clinton; H.L. Mencken). Thus, they are mouthpieces for the misandrist NWO, and are not in any way representative of men as a class; it’s just a different mechanism for the female perspective. …

I’m not saying thy’re calling for mass castration or anything like that (such a move would be too obvious). But there is a systematic denigration of men and masculinity in the media, and a subtle promotion of a misandrist, feminist, female supremacist ideology. In the news, in television, movies, literature, comic strips- we see the epidemic with our own eyes.

Huh. MEN created and still run the world, but “women, feminists, and their assorted mangina lackeys” dominate the media and popular culture with their evil anti-man agenda? There’s no getting around it: Varpole seems to be suggesting that MEN are just terrible at running the world.

Wouldn’t such an argument be … misandry?

Not even subtle misandry, at that.

I look forward to more blatant misandry from Anti-Man Boobz in the future.

As well as some critiques of his misandry from a mysterious, even newer blog that sprung up the other day: Anti-Anti-Manboobz, devoted to debunking Anti-Man Boobz and being meta as fuck.

Wheels within wheels.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I thought we’d already decided that Hugo is Saruman. It’s the initially seemed a bit weird but not evil and then turned out to be an attempted murderer bit and his being prone to extended speeches that leave you going “WTF are you talking about? your sense of ethics is so messed up” that seals it.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

What I mean is, the role of Saruman requires someone who at some point appeared to be a friend or ally, and then you realized that they weren’t in a rather dramatic way.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Cassandra — Yeah, Hugo’s Saruman, 9+ hours of LoTR stole that part of my brain I think. That, and I read all 1000+ comments of the feministe disaster thread about him. I’d like to just block him from memory I think.

Jayem Griffin — um, if you want to be a wraith, be my guest? I’ll take the hobbits and the line about how they don’t just love food, they also love ale and pipe weed (tobacco). Though they are slow to anger, which doesn’t really fit with mocking trolls…then again, Tolkien’s trolls are nothing to mess with…

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“and then you realized that they weren’t in a rather dramatic way.” — random attacks while seeking counsel vs “hey I was on drugs when I tried killing my girlfriend!!” yeah, the analogy works, I just want to ignore his existence.

He is basically everything I hate about Christianity too though, so he has extra hate points from me. That whole bit about how we all have to forgive him because he says his god has? Yeah, no we don’t >.<

Jayem Griffin

I figured that if Dave is Sauron, and we’re his toadies, we’d be Ringwraiths. Though if I were on the other side, I’d be of Rohan. Always been a horse person.

Sharculese

Sweden is Mordor.

true story, once i was in alaska with my family and i made a crack about a mountain range looking like the entrance to mordor, and my brother asked me why i was quoting led zeppelin

Sharculese

y’know, despite being an atheist i’m way into granting forgiveness to people who genuinely seek it, but i haven’t seen the slightest shred of evidence that he even understands what he did wrong

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Jessay (@jessay)

Ok, I have been baited into a youtube argument, oh man. I feel like this was a good response on my part.

For those of you who don’t like clicking links, I was trying to explain how feminists can focus on multiple causes at once (they can be feminists while still being sensitive to the problems that some men face for example) and he told me that we should then call ourselve’s “humanists” to which I replied

So if I believe in both animal rights and human rights I need to start calling myself a creaturist because humanist assumes that I only support humans and not animals?

You think he’ll get the point?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ Sharculese

I love Zeppelin, but I also blame them for the existence of an entire genre of metal that’s basically shitty fantasy novels set to even more shitty music.

Anti-Anti-Manboobz

Muahahahaha, the cycle is complete! Soon my power will be at its height!

glasgow sex worker

CALLED IT. I saw the future of the internet and it is increasingly meta circles of Manboozism.

Anti-Anti-Manboobz

Anti-anti-anti-manboobz goes to the WordPress “page not found” page because I originally miscounted. I thought about keeping it around to head off competition, but seriously, I have too many joke blogs already.

Anti-Anti-Manboobz

P.S. Sorry to anyone who got stuck in moderation; I moderate my primary blog but there’s no need for that on AAMBZ so I’ve turned it off.

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

Vile hate cult! VIIIILE HAAAATE CUUUULT!

*throws confetti* *passes the popcorn*

Sharculese

the thing i love most about mikhael varpole is that he clearly imagines he’s writing this scholarly, thought provoking arguments, but he can’t help tying in conspiracy theories and early twentieth-century humorists because his head is just full to the brim with big ol’ fucking rocks

Sharculese

@ katz

I have too many joke blogs already.

after the last few hours of fun i now have five, including paulineelamef.wordpress.com, which i think i’m going to end up actually using

superbloop
superbloop

C’mon, does anyone really believe that, if Ebert was harping about how much better males were than females, that liberals would react in just the same, calm-fashioned way?

Bullshit.

Sharculese

i dunno, i think we handle elam’s ranting and raving with considerable aplomb, so yeah, maybe.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Sharculese — I’m of the opinion that the only person who’s forgiveness matters any is his victim, and even within his own little hyper edited story she didn’t want contact with him (and I can’t really blame her for that). I guess it does depend on forgiveness for what though. I’m not going to be all blame-game if you cheated on a test in high school or something, but he tried to kill someone (because she was “a broken person” and then let the police think she was suicidal which is it’s own can of traumatizing psych ward worms)

Cassandra — “Claiming to know what God thinks seems awfully arrogant. I mean, I’m an atheist so maybe there’s something I’m missing here, but I always thought that kind of thinking was rather frowned upon.” — I said “thinks” there because even if their god does exist, they can’t possibly know what he thinks, but some Christians sure like to act like they do. Christian forgiveness only needs to come from god though, one must merely repent (actually, no, but that’s the most commonly taught school of thought regarding forgiveness) — I spent years stuck under how my father had apologized, if I can’t forgive him I’m hateful and sinful and evil…when he’d just do the same thing again next week.

Which is basically Hugo, he says he’s repentant, but then goes around bragging about how repentant it is — the whole schtick really is anathema to his religion if he was paying attention and not twisting that to suit himself too. (religion, laws, feminism, he’s a master at twisting things to make himself look good)

superbloop — I hate to break this to you, but Ebert is a movie critic — meaning I don’t really care wtf he has to say about anything that isn’t a movie plot. I suspect that’s not just me. As in “oh look, Ebert said something dumb…meh whatever, he’s the movie guy right?” — regardless wtf dumb thing he said.

Sharculese

@argenti

i mean only that i’m willing to give someone who genuinely seeks forgiveness another chance. i wouldn’t ever force my forgiveness on anyone else.

also

actually, ebert is usually a very insightful observer of american society, for the same reasons that make him a good critic- he generally has his finger on the pulse of america, and he’s thoughtful about it and good at expressing it. this article is unfortunate, but not indicative of most of ebert’s non-movie writing.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The thing about repentance is that you have to understand why what you did was wrong, which Hugo clearly doesn’t. Also, the fact that (he thinks) God forgives him doesn’t mean that anyone else has to.

That whole essay was basically just “why I, Hugo, have forgiven myself for this horrible thing. actually I think attempted murder, like every other horrible thing I’ve done, has made me a better person – not just better than I used to be, better than people in general. admire me!”.

I don’t think that someone with a pattern of seeking power over women and then abusing it should be a teacher. If he’d truly understood what he’d done and repented for it, he’d now be in a different line of work.

Morgan
Morgan

Yeah, Varpole, video games are reeeeaalll feminist; they’re not misogynist, no not at all.*

* Note to any fellow video game fans on this board, esp., but not limited to, those of us who are female, I apologize for my blanket statement. I’m well aware that not all games or gamers are misogynist, but there is an undeniable sect of games/gamers that really are, so it seemed a silly media medium for Varpole to make his “all-media-is-misandrist” argument.

Ithiliana

Clearly there is a need for anti-anti-manboobz with big shiny knobs on!

Just saw AVENGERS for third time.

Now thinks that somebody should write an awesome crossover fic with Loki and Q!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Sharculese — ah ok, if I came off sounding annoyed it’s a combination of watching all of LoTR in one sitting and being annoyed at Hugo’s fan club being all “I forgive him, why can’t you?!!?” — wasn’t annoyance at you.

Cassandra — holy shit yes on wtf that essay was! And while I agree he shouldn’t be teaching, you want to take a man’s job away? MISANDRY (and now we’re back on topic!) — Makes me glad I’m not still in school or I’d be wondering if any of my profs had tried killing anyone though. *side eyes kinda creepy “use my first name” sculpture prof.*

Sharculese

lol, i didn’t think you were directing anything at me, no worries. just clarifying my position.

Sharculese

it was actually kind of amazing how fast the mrm rushed to schwyzer’s defense as soon as we all figured out what a fuckhead he is

Hershele Ostropoler

Remember what I said about subtle bigotry? This is a prime example

Two interpretations come to mind:
1) “Women are not superior to men” is clearly not overt misandry. David said it, so the possibility that it isn’t misandry at all isn’t even worth considering. Therefore, by process of elimination, it is subtle misandry.
2) Women are self-evidently horrible, so saying men and women are equal is saying that men are horrible. That’s misandry, but he doesn’t come out and say “men are horrible,” hence “subtle.”

Mertvaya:

Except if their enemies are so inferior, if the chosen men/whites/straights are so much more fit to run the whole show, why isn’t that all ready the case? Why is this even happening, this steady erosion of male/white/straight power, if they’re so much fucking better at everything?

I think that’s why you see so much conspiracy-theory thinking among bigots, certainly among MRAs.

darksidecat

If we’re calling dibs on LoTRs characters, I get to be Radagast. That way, I get to be a wizard who hangs around with talking eagles and people who can turn into bears, but also a virtual hermit who can’t be found for the Council.

Sharculese

damn… that is actually the perfect answer. im jealous of dsc for thinking of it first.

Sharculese

hey, dsc, did you see the avfm article on marxism yet, because it is seriously a must read

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Sharculese — but he…argh! He tried to kill someone and thus should be serving a decade+ prison time, asking him not to take positions of power as a feminist role model is like…the least consoling consolation prize ever?

Hershele — 2b) Men are self-evidently superior…the rest is the inverse of 2.

darksidecat — nice obscure choice there! Can I just be an ent then? Not treebeard or anyone special, just want to hang out in the woods for centuries while the world of men passes me by…

ronalon42

Can I be Tom Bombadil? Or his wife whose name escapes me at the moment?

Dracula
Dracula

Goldberry.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

King of the Eagles, motherfuckers.

King. Of. The. Eagles.

Jessay (@jessay)

That rationalization hamster thing is repulsive. I fully support flooding it with hypocritical MRA thought processes. Here’s what I got so far

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

My mother read me the Lord of the Rings when I was young–like elementary school young. I was convinced (or I managed to convince myself) that Merry was a woman (named Mary). Pronouns, what are pronouns?

ronalon42

Denise Riffle

Wordspinner, I knew Merry and Pippin were boys intellectually but they were both female in my imagination anyhow.</blockquote

Misandry!

indifferentsky

I reeled at the “Dave is sneaky that way” bit. I totally identify with that. It couldn’t be for a second that David is NOT a misandrist, and that team MRA are a bunch of boobz. It couldn’t be that they are WRONG. When faced with things that don’t match their fantasy worlds, Dave is being “sneaky.”

BEEN THERE.

Sincerity for their cause and just sincerity in general would look like “So Dave I understand that you don’t agree with this or that, and think A and B are faulty premises. But to clarify, do you think C D and E? I’m not sure.” That would be sincere. The fact that they “know” anyone that disagrees with them hate men just shows they’re fanatical ideologues- scorch the earth types. This is the stupidity of humanity, it’s as stupid and repugnant as racism. Also, constantly on a bloody crusade, looking for trouble and reasons to pearl clutch at the very least.

Jackasses claim to know something about me based on some mean spirited fantasy in their own heads, based on some opinion I don’t share of theirs, and when faced with evidence completely opposite of the made up portraits in their heads, somehow I’m ‘pulling something’ or being ‘sneaky’. This is a huge pet peeve of mine. People that do this are stupid assholes emphasis on stupid. Consistently, their stupidity and bigotry will be made their target’s problem. Please do not mistake your problems for mine, etc. So yeah.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

It’s psychological manipulation on a global scale, and it’s downright sinister.

This is absolutely precious.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The power of manboobz compels you!

Nanasha
Nanasha

Apparently, being female and having an opinion is MISANDRY.

Fine.

I’ll be “misandrist” if being a woman who actually thinks about things makes me guilty of it.

I’ll be a “misandrist” if it means that I support the right of humans to be multi-faceted, mutable individuals who don’t live the embodiment of stereotypical heterosexual gender roles.

I’ll be a “misandrist” if fighting against homophobia, misogyny, size-discrimination, genderism and racism is considered “bad” according to MRAs.

I’ll be a “misandrist” if that’s the default insult that MRAs want to use to try and SHUT PEOPLE UP who disagree.

In the words of Fezzick, “I do not think that word means what you think it means.”

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

He’s obviously never played a video game if he’s under the impression ‘feminists’ control that industry.

Or watched a movie
Or seen a TV show
Or listened to popular music
Or watched a commercial
Or paid attention to politics
Or stepped outside the confines of his little bubble into the real world

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

The infamous SOPA was almost certainly backed by dogs, in an attempt to bring the Internet (not coincidentally, the primary holdout of cats) under their control.

lol
lol

TIL “breast physics”, “bitches and hos”, Judd Apatow, and the Page Three Girls were all invented by man-hating feminists. Somehow this version of reality isn’t so surprising coming from an MRA.

lowquacks
lowquacks

@Tulgey, Wordspinner

You two did better than me on my first time through that book. I thought Pippin and Peregrin were two different people, and was confused the Fellowship kept saying they had 9 people when they obviously had 10. Eventually I decided that either Frodo or Gandalf didn’t count.

I did the same thing with Strider/Aragorn for a chapter or two. To be fair, I was seven at the time.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

@ lowquacks

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t be bothered to keep people straight enough to remember if I confused Pippin and Peregrin for different people and I wouldn’t have bothered counting 🙂

But I do think that young girls tend to invent female characters where none existed/make male characters female when they read/watch/hear stories without female characters.

Hershele Ostropoler

indifferentsky:

“Where are you going?”
“I’m going to Pinsk”
“Aha! You tell me you’re going to Pinsk so I’ll think you’re going to Minsk. But I happen to know you are going to Pinsk, so why are you lying?”

cloudiah

Yay, I am so glad we have taken over the rationalization hamster meme. Keep it going!