narcissism oppressed white men racism reddit

Straight White Males oppressed by blog post

So straight white science fiction author dude John Scalzi has created a bit of a hubbub amongst straight white dudes on the interwebs with a blog post called Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is.  The post, later reposted on Kotaku, is basically an attempt to talk to fellow dudes in their own language about the concept of privilege “without invoking the dreaded word ‘privilege,’ to which they react like vampires being fed a garlic tart at high noon.” (And they do.)

Scalzi’s thesis:

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US – or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world – is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let’s call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is.

This means that the default behaviors for almost all the non-player characters in the game are easier on you than they would be otherwise. The default barriers for completions of quests are lower. Your leveling-up thresholds come more quickly. You automatically gain entry to some parts of the map that others have to work for. The game is easier to play, automatically, and when you need help, by default it’s easier to get.

Scalzi should have added “cis” to “straight white male,” but otherwise I’d say that’s fairly spot-on.

Of course, as Scalzi himself points out, life for straight white (cis) dudes is not always peaches and cream. They may have any of a number of disadvantages in life that make things difficult for them. They may have been born poor, or in a war zone; they may have been abused as children or the victim of crime or violence as an adult. Or faced any number of other problems and conditions and disadvantages.

Scalzi deals with this issue a little more obliquely than he could have, noting that some people begin the grand game of “The Real World” with more points than others, and that this can make a good deal of difference.

But do straight white cis males face disadvantages stemming from being straight white cis men? I honestly can’t think of any that have affected my life in any serious way, and these small disadvantages pale in comparison to the many advantages. Yeah, I had to register for the draft when I turned 18. Of course, when I registered there was no draft, and there still isn’t one, and the draft has virtually no chance of being resurrected in the foreseeable future, so I can’t say this requirement has affected my life in any tangible way.

As Scalzi puts it:

If you start with fewer points and fewer of them in critical stat categories, or choose poorly regarding the skills you decide to level up on, then the game will still be difficult for you. But because you’re playing on the “Straight White Male” setting, gaining points and leveling up will still by default be easier, all other things being equal, than for another player using a higher difficulty setting.

Anyway, Scalzi got a lot of responses to his post, many of them from straight white dudes outraged by his assertions. So he wrote a followup taking some of these critics to task. He was particularly amused by the criticism that by “picking on” straight white males he was being racist and sexist.

This particular comment was lobbed at me primarily from aggrieved straight white males. Leaving aside entirely that the piece was neither, let me just say that I think it’s delightful that these straight white males are now engaged on issues of racism and sexism. It would be additionally delightful if they were engaged on issues of racism and sexism even when they did not feel it was being applied to them — say, for example,when it’s regarding people who historically have most often had to deal with racism and sexism (i.e., not white males). Keep at it, straight white males! You’re on the path now!

I am sure there are many gems of obtuseosity in the comments, and in the Reddit thread on his original post. But it’s Friday night, and I have a  migraine — which sucks, but it’s not because I’m a straight white cis dude —  so I’m going to let you guys find them for me.

EDITED TO ADD: Thinking a bit more about Scalzi’s central metaphor here, and I don’t think it completely works: he assumes that obstacles other than racism, sexism, and homophobia can be explained as the equivalent of having started the game with fewer points. But it you have, for example, a disability, that’s something that makes you life harder every day; it’s more akin to raising the difficulty level than to starting off with fewer points. (Not to mention that you’re likely to face bigotry because of it as well.) This doesn’t erase the privileges a straight white male with disabilities gets from being straight, white, and male, of course, but it does ratchet up the difficulty.

Argenti Aertheri

darksidecat — I wasted mine on my mother’s Stephan King collection, Tolkien is definitely a step up.

Argenti Aertheri

“Let me play your game: When has anyone anywhere is this thread said that they only care about sexual orientation?” — or even mentioned marriage, other than in direct reply to your mentioning marriage.

jumbofish

They’re fine with it. Of course, you are going to spin this and claim I think everyone is fine with homosexaulity.

None of your friends/family/coworkers have displayed any form of homophobia or discomfort towards gay people?

Again, that was when I was asked about my personal life. I was not trying to form a statistic.

I acutally have considered. However, I abadoned the idea due to personal reasons. Much deeper than I can say here.

Are you for real dude? XDXDXD

Yes. The same is true for excess sex, being black, being white, etc. A much bigger problem that nodoy really wants to recognize, hatred of people not like us. Much like that exhibited on this blog’s comments.

Yup, us getting angry about you minimizing queer oppression is totally like racism. Also white people are discriminated against now? and men certainly are not discriminated for having too much sex. XDXDXDXD

lol
lol

“White dudes get more attention in hiring, for the same effort.”

‘Error.’

Beep-boop, beep-boop. One of the worst fallacies on the internet today is that talking like Spock/a robot makes you “the logical one”. I honestly CBA to read most of your nonsense, but in one comment you’ve managed to make at least two logical fallacies (relative privation and black-and-white thinking), and I imagine I’d find many more if I read the rest of the thread. Also, it’s interesting that you try to push the burden of proof onto everyone else, regardless of whether they’re making a new claim or denying one of yours, and that when proof IS provided, you ignore it.

superbloop
superbloop

Lets clear things up for a moment:

I never claimed, not do I believe, that sexism, racism, and gender bashing do not exist. I am against all three, as well.

I meerly claimed that, in the hypothetical situation of people playing the world as a video game, that it is ridiculous to use “sexual orientation”, “race”, and “sex” as difficult settings. If these were on the “easiest setting”, one would assume life would be the easiest, and hardest being the hardests, obviously. However, being a white, cis, straight male is not a good indicator if you are going to have a good life or not. More proper is if you are educated, have money, have access to health care, etc.

I also had the “audacity” to claim that all races, sexes, and even orientations are discriminated against in some form or another, but a lot of the problems are ignored when it doesn’t allign with your political ideology.

And because of what I said, I was flamed, vilified, and disrespected, despite remaining calm. I even conceded a few points, especially on the definitions on words.

But because I was a bit mean in my disagreement, everyone assumed the worst out of me.

~

I’ve always supported gay marrage, nay, complete rights of marriage. I never thought bad of someone for their sexual identity, and people who did as such I thought were evil. I’ve always just wanted the best for people.

But I guess that isn’t enough for feminists.

I’ve really been skeptical towards feminists. My best friend is one…but sometimes he’d just pull out some ridiculous posts that I couldn’t agree with.

But now my skepticism has changed to not giving a fuck. I know some people thought I was a bit mean in the first post, but does that really justify the inane reactions? I mena, I don’t believe I even swore, nor called anyone names, nor delivered insults beyond “liberals put on blinders”.

Basically, I’m done. This debate has derailed completely from the source, nobody is treating anyone fairly anymore, and its just getting pointless.

I know people are going to call this a victory. They will go “LOL, we OWNED this dumbfuck TROLL!”. Yes, you made a person who was against liberals and feminists to someone who is VERY against them. Great job.

I’ll still treat people fairly. All people. But the next time I near a feminist argument…I’m just not going to take it seriously. Sorry.

lauralot89

No1curr, dude.

jumbofish

And the gaslighting continues! Its me who is actually misrepresenting and lying about what you have said!

Rutee Katreya

Citation please.

Dude, I’m actually not familiar with any affirmative action codified as law that has been written in the last two decades, only with some state colleges granting tiebreaker policies to minorities. You’re the one who needs a citation that it is still a thing worth noting to begin with.

If be excuses you mean me meerly saying “The majority has to deal with discrimination, too!”

That isn’t true by definition. Able Bodied, Neurotypical Whitey McStraighterson III doesn’t have to deal with discrimination. Also, once is a typo; repeatedly, it’s the concussed gibbon school of grammar. It’s merely, you cretin.

White, straight dudes are not discriminated against for being white, straight dudes. We are aware of other oppressions, they just disproportionately affect non-white, LGBT, and women more, so we aren’t playing any violins for white straight dudes qua white straight dudes.

Actually, that statement wasn’t regarding you.

Then you shouldn’t have quoted me before saying it, cretin.

Error.

Incurious cretin.

I am aware of this. Again, I have not said that oppresstion didn’ exist for women.

You kind of did, dude. You are pretending it’s just as bad for dudes qua dudes. Else, you are dishonestly trying to hide other forms of oppression as oppression of dudes qua dudes. Either way, not working.

Then where is it?

I charge a dollar per word to do your homework for you, kid.

I would be more keene to do my own research if I wasn’t disrespected at every turn.

And I’m sure you’d be such a good ally if you weren’t alienated.
You can’t even plug a paper name into google, don’t think we can’t tell you don’t know how to research.

And although it is not really bigotry, femnists to use the word a lot.

Okay. Just replace “taboo” with “socially unacceptable” then.

It goes well beyond ‘socially unacceptable’. You are trying to lighten the fact that people are fucking hated. To the point where they can be beaten to death. We are not blind, south park wannabe.

Maybe liberals was to much of a blanket statement. But the ones onn this page are caring more about sexual orientation and other things.

Do you expect me to write in 5 dimensional text that simultaneously conveys all my concerns for the world or something?

superbloop
superbloop

Last note:

“You dirty liar, you cited another queer person as proof that lbgt people do not face that much oppression.”

Did I? I didn’t mean to. I was trying to say that in my area oppression was very light, nothing more. Not that you would believe that.

CassandraSays

If one conversation that didn’t go against your way makes you write off any political movement completely, you were already looking for an excuse to do so.

lauralot89

Damn, couldn’t even stick the flounce for ten minutes.

@ Rutee

I actually kind of like “meerly”. It makes me think of meercats, which is the first pleasant association bloopy’s ramblings have produced so far.

Rutee Katreya

Not that you would believe that.

Because you haven’t dishonestly represented yourself or others here before. Eyes rolling so hard they’re hitting my glasses.

CassandraSays

Or meerKats, even. Apparently the inability to spell is contagious.

Argenti Aertheri

“And because of what I said, I was flamed, vilified, and disrespected, despite remaining calm.”

Can we get a quickie vote here — who else here has dealt with an emotional abusive asshole who pulled the “I was calm, why are you getting angry”? Because I have, and hello gaslighting 101 (again)

But now my skepticism has changed to not giving a fuck…

We can actually read you know…and you literally said in your last post that not eating for a few days was more dangerous than being killed — you wonder why that makes us not like you very much?

@lauralot89 — I care that he stays gone…as in, anyone want cookies?

He clearly doesn’t get this isn’t some hypothetical game we can just walk away from (for most/all of us, I don’t want to speak for everyone else)

lauralot89

Time and time again!

jumbofish

Um no one was saying class issues did not count dude. At all.

I don’t give a flipping fuck if you hate liberals/feminists now more than ever. Was I suppose to play nice and suck up just to appease some random troll?

jumbofish

*raises hand* -_-

Argenti Aertheri

Rutee — if you can write in 5 dimensions, I will like, worship you or something. Doesn’t matter the topic, so long as it violates the known laws of physics 🙂

Argenti Aertheri

“You called trans people “transvestites”.Also insults/swearing aren’t the only way you can hurt people.” — and then said to take a chill pill if that was offensive

We have 3 votes, can we cast him off the island? Daviiddd…. your toadies need mod powers over here!

jumbofish

gaslightingggg

fess up to what you are doing and saying fucker

Argenti Aertheri

Or just get lost, that remains a preferred option.

CassandraSays

I kind of love the troll logic that bloopy is attempting. I already hated liberals and feminists, and now that it has been proven that liberals and feminists think I’m a dumbass, I hate liberals and feminists even more! If you’d all just been nicer to me I would have…continued to hate liberals and feminists, but with less of the Power of Butthurt behind me.

lauralot89

The Power of Butthurt should be the title of the next MRA anthem.

Rutee Katreya

Why do mediocrities think we care about their opinion? You’re a prop, nobody cares about a prop’s opinion.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh gods, no more MRA anthems, they’re all SO BAD.

Cassandra — nearly, but not quite, you left out the mind boggling contradiction of how he was skeptical while already hating us. (They were even in the same comment, for extra dumbness)

Argenti Aertheri

“You’re a prop, nobody cares about a prop’s opinion.” — having done stage crew, this is TRUFAX — as long as the props are where they need to be, and in the appropriate number of pieces, no one cares.

super bloop is beginning to remind me of a certain flower pot that would never shatter properly though and repeatedly tried sending shards into the pit at death speeds…I’m still not sure how that show’s worst injury was in the realm of “need a band aid but I’ll be fine, and it was my own stupidity anyways”

CassandraSays

I nominate Tom Martin to write the lyrics for The Power Of Butthurt.

VoIP
VoIP

What should we have done, kowtowed? (But srsly, there was nothing we could have done to “convince” you, was there?)

The Power of Butthurt should be the title of the next MRA anthem.

THE POWER OF BUTTHURT COMPELS YOU

Shadow
Shadow

I nominate Tom Martin to write the lyrics for The Power Of Butthurt.

It’d have to be techno. I’m thinking a Prodigy beat, and Tom droning out “Whooorreess”

VoIP
VoIP

Also, I’m loving the LOTRCHAT. But does anyone else get intimidated when zie walks into a group of people talking about something awesome that zie used to be into, but isn’t so into any more, for fear that zie will never know as much about the cool thing as anyone else / as zie used to / as zie should? Fandoms intimidate me so much.

VoIP
VoIP

To be fair though, everything intimidates me.

CassandraSays

With the chorus being “where’s your (soft) chairs at”?

lowquacks
lowquacks

@CassandraSays

I say we leave the MRM should have a contest.

1985: UK top 40 charts include 3 different songs titled “The Power of Love” – Jennifer Rush’s, Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s, and Huey Lewis and The News’.

2013: UK top 40 charts include 3 different songs titled “The Power of Butthurt” – Tom Martin’s, Slumberwall’s, and Jade Michaels and The Fuck Shit Up’s crew.

Argenti Aertheri

VoIP — I only know so much about LoTR because I spent my Saturday rewatching the movies.

lowquacks
lowquacks

*Fuck Shit Up Crew’s

Argenti Aertheri

It’d be The Fuck Your Shit Up Crew’s though no?

Not that fuck shit up isn’t wtf they actually do…

Argenti Aertheri

I’m going to bed, goodnight all, and good luck with the troll if he returns.

Nanasha
Nanasha

*sigh* I’m getting kind of annoyed at some of the privilege denial going on in this thread. I have no words for the stupidity of the person who commented that someone could be a black trans woman and have an “easy life” if they just had money (NO NO THEY WOULDN’T, and that’s a testament to one’s privilege as a cis white hetero male to think that it would be).

So I propose a new analogy. Cars.

When you are born, you are given a car. Your car is one that represents you in its entirety. Some people get shitty little cars like the ones you see in India- it runs and it has an air conditioner but pretty much nothing else. Other people get a Ferrari. You don’t get to choose your car, and you can’t switch cars unless you’re in the top 1%, and even then, you have to keep the entire inner workings of the vehicle and can only replace the outer shell, which often ends up making you look like you own a Frankencar.

If you’re born with a 70’s model VW bug, there’s nothing in the world that’s going to turn it into a Ferrari, money or not. If you’re born with a Ferrari, you aren’t assured greatness. If you do nothing but abuse the shit out of it and it breaks down, then them’s the breaks. You were still given a Ferrari to work with, which automatically gives you a leg-up in the freeway of life.

Most people have mid level cars- your Hondas, your Toyotas- they run for a fairly long time as long as you provide basic regular maintenance, but they’ll never be glamorous or hot rods or custom made sports cars that are shown on TVs. Yet every car product out there is sold with the implication that using said products will turn your Honda into a Porche, and it’s YOUR fault if your Honda doesn’t miraculously turn into a Porche after buying and using said product.

But you don’t get to choose when your car breaks down or even becomes inoperable. You don’t get to choose how much money you’re going to end up paying just to keep your car moving or to keep it in good shape, etc. And even if you keep your 70’s VW bug working like clockwork, the chances of that VW bug getting you into a World Racing Cup is slim to none just because it’s a freaking VW bug.

Privilege isn’t just a question of what you can add to a car (bells, whistles, horns, etc). It’s a question of what your car inherently *IS* underneath it all. You can talk all you want about how money changes things, but it only levels the playing field in so much as what you can PAY to get. The underlying assumptions and prejudices about people who drive VW bugs or Ferraris won’t change just because you have more money or less to spend. The underlying popular opinion of “your kind of car owner” once you walk out the door won’t change either. And regardless of what someone wants to think about money being the ultimate equalizer, the truth of the matter is that money only gives you a veneer of civility because people want your money. No one in the service industry thinks that an asshole is charming because he has money- they endure his assholery to GET HIS MONEY. No one immediately overlooks someone’s hideous physical appearance just because they have money to spend- the money just turns into a deterrent to negative DIRECT INTERACTION, but does NOT stop or change the way that others FEEL inherently about said person’s unattractiveness.

The truth of the matter is that a lot of people seem to think that if they take their VW bug selves and place a Ferrari outer body over it that they’ve fixed the problem. The problem is that the body of a Ferrari is ill-fitting over the nuts-and bolts of a VW bug, and nothing you can do will change that fact.

The problem isn’t that gay people are “bad” for making people hate and kill them, it’s that it’s BAD for people to be so angry and homophobic that they feel COMPELLED TO KILL GAY PEOPLE. Yet this is often framed as something that gay people “do” to homophobes. You can do the same for race, sex, etc. Every time some violent asshat does something criminal towards a minority group, you always have some person clutching their pearls and going on about how they PROVOKED the criminal whose rage was so incensed by that minority person DARING to be black/female/gay/trans in public that they just HAD to beat/rape/murder that person, and that if said minority person had just “played along” with what society wanted, that the crime would not have been committed.

THAT is the problem with privilege. It’s an idea that people who are inherently a certain way are inherently deserving of less violent treatment by others simply for LOOKING A CERTAIN WAY. It’s why walking down the street as a woman puts a target on your head to CERTAIN PEOPLE because there is still a large percentage of the population who believe a woman “deserves” rape for wearing anything that shows any skin whatsoever.

When we in society tell people who should and should not be acceptable as targets for hate crimes, the people who COMMIT HATE CRIMES ARE LISTENING. If there was a widespread belief that people who wear orange get beaten, would any of us be surprised if people wearing orange were beaten on a more regular basis? If we created a worldview where blond haired people were seen as better then everyone else, would we really be surprised when tons of people started dyeing their hair blonde and were therefore treated “better”?

Privilege is a problem because those who have it can CHOOSE to remain largely ignorant of the underlying factors that go into why certain people get attacked for falling outside of what society considers “the acceptable norms”. And the bottom line is- NO ONE should be made to feel unsafe or be at higher risk of being the target of a serious crime SIMPLY FOR LOOKING A CERTAIN WAY. When you can walk through a neighborhood at night and know for sure that cops won’t stop you and possibly kill you just because you look “suspicious” that is privilege. When you know to a fairly certain degree that if someone does commit a crime against you, that chances are no one will tell you how you were “asking for it,” that’s privilege. When you can wake up in the morning and go about your daily routine in public without once thinking about how you will have to alter your appearance and behavior in order to be treated favorably by strangers who you have to interact with at the store, bank, or work, that is privilege.

Privilege isn’t something MORE that you get. It’s something LESS that you have to deal with.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Oh noes you guys, we hurt the feefees of the ass who thinks affermitive action and being able to blame the system for one’s problems are, like, totally advantages that african americans have. Now the guy who didn’t even read what anyone wrote on this topic and came in asserting things that would have been very simple to disprove based on a small amount of humility and respect for external reality isn’t going to take us seriously.

The loss of this person as an ally is truly incalculable.

Nanasha
Nanasha

*barf*

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Well, superloops is bisexual, so in your head just imagine him saying that in English and Spanish.

Jessay (@jessay)

OMG those who claim that women, for example, WANT to be victims. They completely overlook the huge aspect of feminism which is trying to prevent women from becoming victims. JFC.

Le John
Le John

“I’ve noticed that whenever I hear a white, cis, heterosexual male say things like “I treat everyone fairly”- it actually often translates to mean “I will treat everyone in ways that it makes *ME* feel the most comfortable, because GOD KNOWS that I *deserve* to be comfortable at ALL TIMES and if I’m not comfortable that means there’s something wrong with THEM.”

Why do people feel uncomfortable?

Vindicare
Vindicare

From a European perspective, I think the biggest shock about Srebrenica was that it happened in Europe at a time when such things were supposed to be decades behind us. Whereas with Rwanda and Darfur there was a general assumption (whether conscious or otherwise) that it’s the kind of thing that just happens in Africa and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Le John
Le John

“No, the shock was not that it happened in Europe but that members of a privileged group were killed, namely white men. Even Roméo Dallaire thinks this.”

CassandraSays

The reason that Europe was so shocked was because a lot of people couldn’t wrap their heads around the concept that in a conflict between Christians and Muslims, the Muslims might not be the bad guys. It took a shamefully long time for the rest of Europe to acknowledge what was being done to the Bosnian Muslims, and it was because of religious prejudice.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

>>Historically ,Aren’t Privileged white men the first to be killed when things go pear shaped?

Usually for the same reasons that nobility or whatever current oppressive ruling class are the first to get their heads chopped off.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

I could be a gay transvestite black woman, but if I am born rich and have access to good education and health care, then my life is a breeze

You know guys, I think you’re being too harsh on that one. *Obviously*, in the alternate universe in which gay ‘transvestite’ black women get rich and access to good education and health care, then life would be a breeze, since that would be some universe in which there is no longer racism, homophobia and misogyny.

Le John
Le John

We have racism, homophobia and misogyny, because straight males in whatever society are the ‘norm’ ?
Why is this?