antifeminism evil women false accusations hundreds of upvotes misogyny MRA rape reddit

Things Redditors actually think: “If you can read this, and we’re alone, I can be legally convicted of rape.”

This was posted to the Men’s Rights subreddit the other day, with the headline: “Saw this today and I suppose that’s where we’re headed.” It’s gotten 556 upvotes, last I checked. (Those are net upvotes: it got 848 upvotes, 292 downvotes.) This is the world that a lot of MRAs, and Redditors in general, think they live in.

A handful of Redditors, like this one, objected to the hysteria:

Notice the downvotes.

Amazingly, one of the few voices of reason to emerge in the whole discussion (besides that downvoted commenter and serveral others) turned out to be none other than Pierce Harlan of the False Rape Society (now called Community of the Wrongly Accused). While not averse to spreading misinformation about rape and false rape accusations himself, he argued in a comment (and in a similarly worded blog post) that this kind of raving hysteria wasn’t helpful, concluding:

The delicate balance that commands us to punish rapists while not punishing the innocent is extremely serious business. We need more sober, more adult, more serious voices to be part of the public discourse. The last thing we need is more Chicken Little hysteria, no matter which side it’s coming from.

I’m guessing the upvotes he got for his comment must have come from visitors from his blog, because up until he posted that comment the few dissenters were mostly being dismissed.

The Men’s Rights subreddit: Waxing hysterical about imaginary oppressions since March 2008.

Argenti Aertheri

GingerSnaps, it’s not that it’s inherently bad, it’s that America still has a serious issue lingering after the Cold War about “red commies” and people fear it without understanding it.

Magpie

Dracula, oh no, I didn’t think you were contradicting me. Just clarifying what I was thinking, cause I know I’m not very articulate.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Argenti, exactly. And socialized medicine is bad because it’s SOCIALIZED MEDICINE. And liberals are bad because they’re liberals. You just can’t have a rational conversation with people who stubbornly stick to irrational ideas.

Dracula
Dracula

Okay, cool.

And yeah, there could be a basis in reality for his ideas having been “stolen”. If anything it’s probably a case of having been a part of various design teams and giving himself far more credit than he deserves.

Neither honesty nor humility are his strong suits, after all.

Argenti Aertheri

Unimaginative, I generally resort to a good reducio ad absurdum with that type, but that seems lost on NWO and MRAs in general. They seem to prefer the idea of letting people die of treatable conditions though.

Magpie

The idea of opposing socialized medicine is one of those things that makes me realise I’m a foreigner to USian ways. I cannot get my head around why it could be bad. It’s like opposing the idea that puppies are cute.

Argenti Aertheri

nix that “though” at the end, not sure where that came from >.<

CassandraSays

Slavey is also a great example of crank magnetism. Between he and Meller they seem to believe in every crackpot idea ever to hit the internet.

Magpie

Dracula, I’m really thinking of an anecdote about my brother with the ‘stolen’ ideas. So I’m a bit biased on that. 🙂
Your (and others) view is probably more accurate.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

NWO is living proof that sexism (and other kinds of prejudice) makes people stupid. He clearly has a reasonable level of intelligence, but as soon as he starts to think about things that he’s prejudiced about his logical faculties shut down.

I think you’ve got it backwards. Sexism (along with all the horrible biases NWO has against everyone who isn’t a straight, Christian, white male) is the refuge OF stupid people.

Magpie

Cassandra, it’s very tempting to find other cranky things and feed them to him, isn’t it?

CassandraSays

Has he seen Timecube? Maybe we could throw it at him to distract him next time he gets annoying.

Argenti Aertheri

Magpie, it’s a lot of prejudices rolled up into one package. How to make this simple…?

We’ve not only never had anything of the sort, but have slowly been dismantling the rest of the safety net as well — some people have issue with the idea of paying for something someone else is receiving, it’s seen as receiving a gov’n handout. And particularly in the case of health care where it makes very little sense to most people, they prefer it just be taken from their pay check and to not have to really think about it much.

Also, we’re fundamentally a Christian country in practice, despite what the first amendment says — which means a lot of people see it as something that charities should handle, not the gov’n. (It here can really mean any part of the safety net, from healthcare to food banks)

Argenti Aertheri

Crumbelievable — in some cases, for sure. In others it seems more like they’ve been so thoroughly entrenched in prejudiced shit that they never really looked outside their little corner of the world. NWO’s stupid may well have come first, I’m just thinking this is probably a bidirectional factor in most cases.

CassandraSays

We could also just make up random paranoid theories to mess with him.

Jogging causes brain damage. The Illuminati who run the feminazi media don’t want you to know this, but it’s true. In fact, even running to catch a bus puts you in danger of your IQ immediately dropping by 50 points. This is why women say that they like men who’re fit, TRUE FACTS.

Magpie

Argenti – “something someone else is receiving” – do you think they realise that they receive it too? That rich as well as poor can get free treatment?

CassandraSays

Also, humor kills. This is why women say that they like men who’re funny – we’re trying to get them to unintentionally off themselves, just for the fun of it.

You know those annoying ads on sites like weather.com that are all “Local Mom angers doctors by finding secret cure for ageing”? I think NWO, Meller, etc are the people who actually click on that shit, thus making it worthwhile for companies to run those ads.

Magpie

There is a species of possum that lives in rivers. They can detect and manipulate electrical currents with their fingers. Some of them have discovered the phone lines, and hack into the internet. TRUE FACTS

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Conspiracy Theories R Us: rense.com

You’re …welcome?

And yes, my blood pressure spikes whenever I see people frothing at the mouth, insisting that it’s better for people to die, or be financially ruined, than to provide universal health care. God forbid that anything slow down the economic growth of the for-profit medical/insurance industry.

I used to work with a person from Denmark, who would rant at great length about how much better Denmark’s health care system was than Canada’s. He said that the Danish government figured out at one point that it cost more to track and charge back the costs of ambulance rides than it did to just provide them to people who needed them.

Argenti Aertheri

Magpie — they don’t care because they can already afford it, I think? Not to sound too much like NWO, but our media isn’t nearly as free as it could be, but it’s controlled by old money families, not some feminist conspiracy. Nonetheless places like Fox News will twist the “you already have health care” message such that people who risk going broke if they have a health crisis don’t seem to realize how shitty their health care is.

The 1% that the Occupy Wall Street protests are highlighting do basically control our media though, and they sure as shit don’t need free health care. Unfortunately it seems like large swathes of the middle classes have bought into the idea that their health care is good enough already *and* that universal health care would um…suck as much as the NHS. (Which is it’s own set of “but you’re just wrong!” issues)

There is a lot of stupid wrapped up here in other words >.<

Argenti Aertheri

And they’re electric eels not possums, the possums are just trying to snack on the eels.

CassandraSays

The Haggis is an actual animal that wanders the Scottish countryside. Its cry sounds a lot like bagpipes and was in fact the inspiration for them. If you are foolish enough to eat The Haggis, it puts out spores that burrow into your brain and turn you into a socialist.

True facts.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh and the point of feeding aborted fetuses to fish is to make them want human meat, they’ll rise from the water and feast on man-flesh soon…

(that was one of NWO’s right?)

Magpie

2 metres long and 600 volts! Remind me never to go swimming anywhere in South America.

I was thinking of Platypus electrolocation, but didn’t think I could convince him there were any near his place. (Then again, why not go for the big lie?)

Argenti Aertheri

Lol, *sensing* electricity is common enough in fish that there probably are fish near him that can do that. Platypuses I’d be more worried about that DEATH SPIKE!! Hm…I guess that means I’m only afraid of the males and thus misandrist?

Deoridhe

“That’s why the insanity defense exists in criminal law.”

Most mentally ill people would not be able to plead insanity in court because the insanity in a courtroom setting is not the same as mental illness – the former is very narrowly defined as not having the ability to distinguish between right and wrong. All of my clients (I primarily deal with people diagnosed with schizophrenia) can tell right from wrong and many are quite moral.

I know it’s a page late, but this is a fairly important point when it comes to judicial vs. therapeutic use of the term “insanity”.

Magpie

the sausage is a cunning bird
its tail is long and wavy
it swims about the frying pan
and makes its nest in gravy

CassandraSays

The show Toddlers and Tiaras was invented by militant feminists in order to torture middle aged men in a sexual manner, rather than to torture the general TV-watching population with its awfulness.

(And now we’re right back in NWO’s wheelhouse.)

Magpie

Ooooh, man-eating fish hacking into his computer!

Magpie

Cassandra, you have a worryingly accurate insight into the NWO-type mind 😉

Argenti Aertheri

Sorry to break the NWO mocking stream, but Toddlers and Tiaras can’t be half as bad on the audience as it is on those kids. That’s basically child abuse, or at least all the bits I’ve suffered though were seriously questionable. (I’m thinking pre-K kids having a tantrum that they don’t want their eyebrows waxed level “questionable”)

/serious moment

CassandraSays

Ooh, it could be like Ozy with the PUAs! Except it’s too easy to sound like NWO. His obsessions are rather distinctive, as is his rhetorical style.

Argenti Aertheri

The Bachelorette was created by the feminist overlords to ensure women would get a good ride on the alpha cock carousel before fulfilling their biological duty to the species by reproducing.

CassandraSays

Dairy farming is proof of the innate tendency of female creatures to enslave males in order to service their needs. Look at those cows just standing around being milked while men run around doing all the work! And poor hard working MRAs have to maintain the machines too, just to add insult to injury.

Argenti Aertheri

Don’t forget the spermjacking from the poor bull just to ensure the cows can even make milk to begin with! He’ll never even know if he’s got a baby cow or baby bull! MISANDRY!

Argenti Aertheri

Urinals were invented by a feminist to ensure men would be forced to see each other’s penises and feel inadequate about their own, thus distracting them from more important matters. And also to turn them gay.

Magpie

Honestly, I feel sorry for bulls. The cows get a social life, with each other and the calves. The bulls live in a paddock with other bulls, keeping as far away from each other as they can, and only get with the cows briefly once a year. And of course, nearly all the male calves are killed young. The cows get a much better deal.

(Yes, I think about this too much)

Argenti Aertheri

Magpie, one of my aunt’s lives thisclose to a dairy farm, and I actually agree completely. They had one calf born while I was there, and everyone was thrilled it was a female. So dairy farms might actually be misandrist! Oh no!

Their cows don’t even actually mate with the bulls either, they’re inseminated, hence my spermjacking comment.

Argenti Aertheri

Shit, no wonder NWO thinks spermjacking actually happens if his job involves working parallel to the bull-sperm people…I’m pretty sure there is actually a bull-sperm market >.<

Magpie

I forgot about AI – I think you’re onto something. This could be the key to all the conspiracies?

Argenti Aertheri

That combined with him being a bitter bitter person? Possibly? I’d hope it would take more than that to make anyone as hateful as he is.

Goodnight , all!

Jessay (@jessay)

In a way, T-shirts like this do a public service. When assholes wear these shirts, they’re letting everyone around them know they’re assholes. They don’t even have to open their mouth. The shirt says it all.

This. Please. All MRAs in my area buy this shirt and wear it every day so I know who to avoid.

“dead girls don’t say no”

ooh, I ran into a guy in a bar wearing that shirt, while one of his friends was hitting on my friend (badly). I was drunk enough to go on the offensive, so I just yelled really loudly, “oh, oh, I get it, he’s a necrophiliac! Dude, that’s gross!”

I wish I could’ve seen this.

HAHAHHAHAHA OMG Shaenon HAHAHAHAHA

Yoyo
Yoyo

Honestly, I had a young man turn up for a job interview wearing a tshirt with a topless woman on it and a caption somewhat like “may all good times cum in pairs”. wTF, how does anyone think wearing crap like that is a positive?

Sandra
Sandra

Shaenon, me thinks me lurves you!

AbsintheDexterous
AbsintheDexterous

wTF, how does anyone think wearing crap like that is a positive?

If he regularly wears that shirt to job interviews, I bet he complains about how he can’t get a job. I mean, how many places of employment would hire someone who would wear that shirt to an interview? I can’t imagine that there would be that many.

I’m also sure the “dead girls” guy complains about not meeting women. I can just imagine him bitching about all those “stuck up bitches who won’t speak to me” and getting mad that women have no sense of humor.

And the above shirt, had I just seen it on a guy without the context of this post, would baffle me. I’d have to sit and try to make sense of it, because it just doesn’t really make sense. I really didn’t get “I could get falsely accused” from it – more along the lines of “if we’re alone, you better get away from me, because I will rape you”, which is actually a PSA to avoid the guy who wears it.

People who wear shirts like that always think they’re being “edgy”, when really they’re advertising the fact that they are giant flaming assholes.

Pecunium

argenti: The thing about NWOs claims of invention is the details aren’t quite credible. He claims to have designed, from scratch, several different sorts of automation equipment.

Once he said he had designed a machine to make it possible for an automaker to assay the alloy purities (of some sort) in their steel.

I’ve been a machinist. Yes, a large scale manufacturer would want to know if it’s supplier were failing to deliver, but that’s not something which gets done routinely, and checking alloy composition is something which gets done by an assay shop, or in smelting.

It was figured out a long time ago. It’s possible he did some process improvement, but it’s not likely he “invented” it, nor that, all by himself, he designed something all that radical.

pillowinhell

And in the eyes of the law, being able to discern between right and wrong is part of intent?

So, someone who is schizophrenic would need to show they were experiencing a major break, right? I’ve had a few schizophrenic friends, some of whom experienced auditory hallucinations on a regular basis. Generally, it didn’t seem to impair their ability to distinguish right from wrong so long as it was a relatively mild day. One friend would sometimes withdraw for a few days because his family, as he refered to the voices, were louder than usual and he didn’t want to be seen like that.

Jessay (@jessay)

Right? I wouldn’t be surprised if he blames his lack of a job on affirmative action. I’ve seen so many men wander into job interviews in street clothes and I’m thinking, “Do you know what you’re here to accomplish today?” Do they really feel that entitled to whatever they ask for that they think they don’t need to do anything but show up as a man to get it?

So anyways, I’m gonna start selling tshirts that say “sperm jacker” on them so that we can avoid MRAs in public. Anyone want one?

Hershele Ostropoler

Magpie:

I was thinking of Platypus electrolocation

IRTA “electrolactation”. Turn up the juice to get more milk!

Magpie:

Sound’s like AntZ’s idea of paradise.