$MONEY$ hypocrisy I'm totally being sarcastic irony alert misogyny MRA racism that's not funny!

Men’s Rights Redditors find “ebonics” hilarious

The regulars over on the Men’s Rights Subreddit are currently getting amused and/or outraged by the existence of a book titled “Girl, Get That Child Support,” a guide to help single mothers track down deadbeat dads and get the child support they are owed. A few of them were apparently so overstimulated by the book’s title, and a reference to “Baby Mamas” in the subtitle, that this little conversation ensued:

Note the upvotes and the (scarcity of) downvotes. And the complete lack of anyone saying “hey, you’re being racist assholes.”

The Men’s Rights Movement, the “most significant civil rights movement of the 3rd millennium.”

Ruby, I’ve found a scientific source which provides damning counterevidence.

Holly Pervocracy

Oh, so now it’s psudo-science if you don’t like the results? Studies from America, Austria, and Germany aren’t enough to convince you if you don’t want to believe it. Honestly, I don’t even need these studies to know women are more attracted to men of means, like I don’t need a study to tell me that men are more attracted to beautiful women.

RUBY READ THE REPLIES READ THEM FUCKING READ THEM THEY HAVE WORDS READ THOSE WORDS

ALL THE WORDS

THE WORDS MEAN THINGS

REEEEEEEAAAAD

WORDS MEAN THINGS

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Ever wondered what kind of idiots take evo-psych seriously? Meet Exhibit A. The purpose of science is to confirm the things that I just know, because they’re common sense. I know this is true because The Daily Mail agrees with me.

(She still hasn’t caught on to the fact that “this is what people do in society X” and “people are programmed to do this” are not the same thing. READ, Ruby, you might learn something.)

cloudiah

Wow, you guys, there is a lot of information on the Web. Prestigious scientists have documented the fact that the Pacific Northwestern Tree Octopus (Octopus paxarbolis) is on the verge of extinction, due to the “decimation of habitat by logging and suburban encroachment; building of roads that cut off access to the water which it needs for spawning; predation by foreign species such as house cats; and booming populations of its natural predators, including the bald eagle and sasquatch.”

Here’s a video of babies hatching, awwwwwww:

Please donate what you can today to save this marvelous animal from extinction. Also endangered: the mountain walrus, the dwarf orca, and the saber tooth salmon.

Rutee Katreya

Also, if women are all programmed and whatnot, how do women end up marrying other women?

…Especially if they’re all trying to marry up. That seems like you could get caught in an infinite loop.

Please don’t do this, evopsychers are fucking cruel to queer people.

Oh, so now it’s psudo-science if you don’t like the results?

No, it’s pseudo-science if it’s bad.

Dude, the studies you’ve cited don’t even support your claims of Genetic Programming, let alone data from other societies.

Of course you don’t.

The Daily Mail song:

So far, Ruby quoted FoxNews, Discovery Channel, Psychology Today and the Daily Mail. Is there a bingo for this kind of thing?
I’m betting on shady conspirationist website or youtube comment for the next quote.

tl:dr: WTF, Ruby, the Daily Fail?

Rutee Katreya

READ, Ruby, you might learn something.)

The evidence suggests this is not likely.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I live in hope.

Rutee Katreya

Whoops, cut off “Of means”, but yeah, Ruby, for someone complaining about how everyone else is refusing science (Not really, you’re just offering either shitty studies, or studies that don’t say what you think they do), saying “I DIDN’T NEED SCIENCE TO TELL ME THIS” is not a thing to aid the perception that you are being reasonable.

Quackers
Quackers

From the DailyFail article:

For every rich man who uses his wealth to attract young women, there is a gold digger looking for a man to keep her. For every woman who places more value on things like morality, honesty, loyalty and decency than they do wealth, there is a man who will never be given the chance to show her he exists because he doesn’t earn enough for her to give him a second look.
– Kane, London, 12/4/2011 13:16

And for every women that places more value on things like morality, honesty, decency, and loyalty she will never be given a chance if she’s too fat or old.

Most Genuine Men are Not looking for Woman with high incomes on Power-trips its Better & more Important to have a Clean home & good home Cooked Food. Only the men that like to live-off women are.
– Ingo, E.London, 11/4/2011 9:56

So women are only worth something as long as they are hot little maids? gotcha.

So women are gold diggers…nothing new there then.
– Eddie John, In the real world, 11/4/2011 10:47

So men are all generalizing assholes…nothing new there then. (see what I did there?)

Typical women really. Its just another reason men are not interested in marriage anymore. Its a one-way ticket to penury and serfdom.
– Anti-misandrist, Maidstone, Kent, 11/4/2011 11:16

Awwww. The dramatic little MRA wandered off from his MRA forum. Poor dear.

Point proven from my previous comment. I love how these dudes simultaneously complain that women are shallow and dehumanizing yet display the same attitudes towards women in their comments.

cloudiah

I don’t need science to tell me that the sun revolves around the earth. I see it rotate around us from East to West, and then it comes around again in the morning. Plus I found this in Yahoo! Answers:

The sun rolls around the earth on the back of an enormous cosmic trampoline.

Shadow
Shadow

Okay. How are “means” measured? Why are women attracted to “men of means”?

How is beauty measured? How does attraction translate to LTRs? Why are men attracted to “beautiful” women?

Kyrie

Rute: there is little evidencethat she read what we write. Lets try an experiment: I think ruby is a poopie head (WOMEN’OPINION OF PICTURES BEING INFLUENCED IN AVERAGE BY MONEY DOESN’T MEAN OUR DNA WANT US TO HAVE RICH BF OR HUSBANDS, THE DAILY MAIL AND PSYCHOLOGY TODAY ARE TERRIBLE SOURCES) that molest kittens as a hobbie.
Now, lets wait for the results.

cloudiah

More proof of geocentrism. They couldn’t copyright it if it weren’t true!

Nobody followed my link? But it was scientific!

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

Income 65% of men and 53% of women report their income. Income strongly affects the
success of men, as measured by the number of first-contact e-mails received (Figure 5.6).
While there is no apparent effect below an annual income of $50,000, outcomes improve
monotonically for income levels above $50,000. Relative to incomes below $50,000, the
increase in the expected number of first contacts is at least 34% and as large as 151% for
incomes in excess of $250,000.

Kyrie

Katz: I did, and it was fantastic. For your effort I award you an internet, and, if you wantit, a Nobel Price in EvoPsych.

cloudiah

We have only DAYS TO LIVE! Source: Weekly World News, “the World’s Only Reliable News.” Says it right on the masthead and everything. Luckily, physicists at Stanford University have figured out a way to save us by moving to a parallel world.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The Daily Mail is totally a legit source for thoughful and deeply scientific examinations of gender issues.

You hear that, Ruby? A Nobel Prize winner says you’re full of shit!

The Prestigious Journal of Scientific Psychology is accepting submissions if there’s ever anything you need an Extremely Scientific Source for.

Holly Pervocracy

I’m starting to wonder if Ruby set up a bot to post these things a few minutes apart and left her computer long ago.

I mean, if she’s actually sitting there refreshing the page just to do this, boy is she wasting her time.

Kyrie

Ruby linked something that actually looks like a scientifical study! I’m so excited.

cloudiah

Katz, that looks like an extremely prestigious journal you’ve found there. Also, it’s scientific.

Holly Pervocracy

Okay, if I was presented with two identically attractive and likeable men, and one was rich and one was poor, I suppose I would go with the rich one? Although for reasons less “deep biological yearning” and more “maybe he could take me on nice vacations.”

I have never been in this situation in real life so it’s kind of a moot point. (Well, I guess I’ve met a couple male sets of identical twins? But they’ve always been about the same financially and I’ve never dated any of them.)

Also, I’m disturbed by the conflation here between “is more attractive to women” and “dates more attractive women.” It assumes that all men are attracted to the same things in women and that men will always pick the most physically beautiful women available to them regardless of other factors.

Kyrie

Ruby, you realize this study makes no mention of DNA and that the data is very specific, it does not applies to all societies or all times. It doesn’t even applies to everybody in the USA today, it’s about internet dating. It’s also about average, not about every women.

With this kind of data, you can say that women in X conditions* care more than men about money. You can’t say WOMEN care about money because of DNA.

*in this case, the conditions include men being on average richer in our society. The result could be different in a utopia where gender discrimination is not a thing and where being pregnant is not a financial risk.

Alex

@Ruby Hypatia,

I don’t give a fuck where your supposed “scientists” teach. Alan fucking Dershowitz is a professor at Harvard and a known plagiarist http://www.counterpunch.org/2007/04/30/dershowitz-v-finkelstein-who-s-right-and-who-s-wrong/ . He’s also one of the people responsible for the claim that false rape accusations make up 50% of all rape claims. How did he find this out? He claimed Linda Fairstein said it and then she later put the number at 5% without explanation. Guess what? When one actually looks for evidence of her having said 50% of rapes are false, there isn’t any. Are we then to take his word over hers? That’s what the MRAs at The False Rape Society do http://falserapesociety.blogspot.ca/2009/08/from-archives-greatest-champion-for.html . That’s just one example of a person in a high place whose word you should not trust. As others have noted, it’s not the names that are important when it comes to science; it’s the methods.

Heck, it’s common sense.

You…are an idiot.

Why do ugly men like Donald Trump marry beautiful women?

Subjectivity. It’s a thing. While I agree that Donald Trump isn’t a looker, others may disagree. There is no objective beauty, and what a stupid argument to make in the first place!

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

Financial Stability

Anyone who’s ever wondered if an older man’s companion is his daughter or his date knows attraction isn’t all biological. Sometimes, it’s logical.

During one study, researchers asked women to look at the face of a man whom she knows nothing about and rate his attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 10. Then, they showed women the same face, but this time, the photo was paired with a corresponding income.

The results? When a man makes a lot of money, a woman will rate him higher on an attractiveness scale than she would rate that same man if he had a smaller income.

Dr. Berman says this doesn’t prove that women are gold diggers. “It goes back again to evolution. When we were having babies who were very dependent on us, we couldn’t hunt and take care of ourselves, so we were looking for the man who had the most social status, who was the best hunter, who was going to bring home the biggest chunk of meat for our babies,” she says. “It’s the same thing today.”

Kyrie

Alex: not just subjectivity, though it has it’s place. There are obvioulsy women who are interested by men who have money and power. But it’s not all women, and it’s not DNA.

jumbofish

Oprah???

You have to be trolling XDXDD

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

The funny thing about this whole tedious conversation is that if women picking men on the basis of income was universal, the word “gold-digger” wouldn’t exist. The reason that specific behavioral tendency is named (and commented on) is that it’s not the norm.

There exist enough women whose primary motivation in relationships is money to keep Donald Trump in new wives, but most women would not be willing to marry Donald Trump just because he’s rich. “Some women” is not “women as a whole”.

Those who don’t quite get the whole “women are people” thing always seem to find this difficult to understand.

oprah.com

I’m baffled. I don’t know, I.. just don’t know.

Why, why are you quoting the website of a tv celebrity in a discussion about science? Are you gone in full troll mode?

Help me, Ruby, you completly lost me. Please tell it’s a late 1st april joke.

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

So who cares about studies from the University of Arizona, University of Chicago, University of Vienna, and that Economic Institute in Germany? LOL!

Holly Pervocracy

I hope Ruby is using a bot, at this point. The idea that she’s been sitting here the whole time picking out and posting these links like it proves something (besides “look, lots of people believe the same fallacy!”) is just getting depressing.

Kyrie

And the artcle quotes…. the discovery channel video she showed us at the beggining of the discussion. It’s beautiful.

Holly Pervocracy

Ruby, we’ve been over this. You didn’t read it.

But thanks to the magic of the Internet, those posts are still there! You can go back and read them!

If you can read Oprah.com, you can read us! I know you can do it!

…I also know you won’t.

jumbofish

Oh what the hell

Yes its the same today because men hunt money for women…….

Also women can get their own money so why need a man with money?

Not all society’s were hunting based so that wouldn’t even be relevant in all cultures. So much for your world wide human theory.

(still not accounting queer people eh ruby)

Alex

@Ruby Hypatia,

all in all, there’s something sexy about all that money and power

You know what? If you are content to resemble one of the worst stereotypes about women, you go right ahead, but DO NOT suggest the rest of us are fucking programmed for it!

I don’t need a study to tell me that men are more attracted to beautiful women

What’s a beautiful woman, Ruby?

Kyrie

Ruby: if you have so much dta, how about you show us the studies from the University of Arizona, University of Chicago, University of Vienna, and that Economic Institute in Germany directly instead of sending us to oprah, the daily mail, etc?

You might not realize it, but sometimes scientists disagree. Which proves some of them, even with jobs in big universities, can be wrong.

Fun fact: the number two of the Front National (most racist party in France), Bruno Gollnisch teaches at the University of Lyon (Lyon III), which is the second biggest town of the country. I still wouldn’t trust him if he told me the Earth turn around the Sun.

Alex

@kyrie,

Yes, you’re right of course. In fact, given the way Ruby insists that women are “programmed” to do this, one has to wonder if she herself is one of those women.

Kyrie

Wait, I’m lost again Ruby, what is t that you’re trying to prove? Is it that women are more attracted to money? Because that seem to be what you’re going for with what you gave us so far, yet you said:

Of course the reverse of this is that wealthier men won’t settle for the average Janes. These behaviors in both genders is the result of evolution. Yep, both genders are shallow.

So what is it, are we all gold diggers? Is it just us women?

cloudiah

@Kyrie

I still wouldn’t trust him if he told me the Earth turn around the Sun.

But! I proved it! Here! And here! Please don’t argue with science.

/sarcasm

Kyrie

Alex: I wondered about that, as many male trolls disguised themselves as women in hop that we would accept what they say.
But I don’t think that’s what Ruby is. I don’t think she’s a fake faminist, just a bad one. In that she remind me of a racist feminist commenter, both of them sound alike when they go “why don’t you agree with me, I’m on your side”.
I could be wrong of course, but in doubt I always prefer not to go for the conspiracy. I prefer to be wrong by trusting her and realized she lied (which is very easy on internet, therfore not really shameful to fall for) than being wrong and having accused the MRA of making this up, in which case I would look very silly.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Small anecdote: I met MrB when he was unemployed and wasn’t going to be able to get a job until the hospital worked things out to the point that he could have a major organ hacked out and given to his sister. Believe me, it wasn’t money or power that made him attractive (although his willingness to make such a sacrifice for his sister did – it took almost a year and a half to get everything ironed out).

Alex

@Kyrie, sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t assuming she’s actually an MRA male pretending (though she of course could be). Rather I was suggesting that she might be a gold-digging woman herself if she thinks we’re programmed to be that way. I agree that she’s probably a real, but bad, feminist.

princessbonbon

I was going to finish reading through everything then Ruby compared ASU to a prestigious university. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry.

I went to ASU. Despite the overspending by Crow and whatshisname on trying to build up the university (which incidently is also forcing a huge increase in tuition because heaven knows that the state lege is never going to fund the school. They are too busy making AZ the laughingstock of the nation and possibly the world. People expect Texas to be mildly kooky but AZ?) All that happened is that ASU lost the rep for the party school it had. Nothing more.

I may be a Sun Devil but even I admit ASU is well ASU.

princessbonbon

Obviously not you.

Alex: I was projecting my paranoia 🙂

Rutee Katreya

Incidentally, Totes Not A Racist Ruby, just to be clear, whenever you invoke evopsych for western societies, you are basically saying white people are the golden children of evolution. But you’re totally not a racist, nossirree bob.

Shadow
Shadow

To riff of of Rutee’s point, 96% of psych participants are Western, 68% from the US alone, so the universality of what we’ve learned from the hitherto conducted studies is highly suspect