$MONEY$ hypocrisy I'm totally being sarcastic irony alert misogyny MRA racism that's not funny!

Men’s Rights Redditors find “ebonics” hilarious

The regulars over on the Men’s Rights Subreddit are currently getting amused and/or outraged by the existence of a book titled “Girl, Get That Child Support,” a guide to help single mothers track down deadbeat dads and get the child support they are owed. A few of them were apparently so overstimulated by the book’s title, and a reference to “Baby Mamas” in the subtitle, that this little conversation ensued:

Note the upvotes and the (scarcity of) downvotes. And the complete lack of anyone saying “hey, you’re being racist assholes.”

The Men’s Rights Movement, the “most significant civil rights movement of the 3rd millennium.”

hellkell
hellkell

For all you who personally attack me because you hate my political views, you can go fuck yourselves you fuckin’ morons!

I don’t hate you. I think you’re a classist, racist moron. Do I like you? No, but you’re not worth hating.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

>>>Do francophones other than Quebecoises use “tabarnac,” “câlice,” etc?

If they’ve spent roughly many months in Quebec and they haven’t gone back to their old culture to reacquire habitual use of their original dialect, yes, otherwise no. These are our unique swears.

Kendra, the bionic mommy
Kendra, the bionic mommy

And yeah, if you have a white collar job interview, and you talk like Larry the cable guy, don’t expect to get the job.

Well, it sucks that some people in white collar professions are snobby and judge other
people by their accents instead of their ideas. However, you should know that Tow Mater talks like Larry the cable guy and he got to be an astronaut.

I don’t think that a redneck accent would hurt you in every job interview either. In fact, a politician named Billy Long from Springfield, MO makes campaign ads wearing a cowboy and carrying a fishing pole. He has an Ozarks accent, too, and it wins him votes. People like him for looking and talking like an average Joe even though his political agenda is ultra conservative and only helps the rich. While some people might see a twang as being uncultured, others see it as down to earth.

darksidecat

Having an accent that is considered “lower class” or rural poor can definitely hurt a person’s employment chances. Classism is a thing, that doesn’t mean racism, and racialized classims, aren’t also things.

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

LBT, I didn’t say you personally attacked me because you believe it’s foolish to judge people by their accent, and yeah it is silly to judge people by their accents. I was referring to assholes like Rutee, and anyone who paints me as a racist because I don’t agree with them politically.

Holly Pervocracy

I don’t know if he sounds like Larry The Cable Guy exactly, but Don Pettit has a “low class” rural accent and he’s really an astronaut:

jumbofish

Then why did you say that? You are a terrible liar.

.I was referring to assholes like Rutee, and anyone who paints me as a racist because I don’t agree with them politically.

Uhh no one here mentioned anything about your politics. They are talking about your own racist words you idiot. Saying people with “low class” accents would not get hired because its not smart sounding is racist and classist.

Sharculese
Sharculese

to reiterate what i said earlier, i’m right now sitting through a lecture who couldn’t sound more like he’s from rural georgia. he’s a recognized expert in comparative law, a professor emeritus at a law school in i think germany, and a judge.

also. larry the cable guy doesn’t actually talk like that. it’s an act.

Sharculese
Sharculese

*lecture from a guy who

Sharculese
Sharculese

i’m familiar with ‘malk’, which apparently is high in vitamin r

abeegoesbuzz
abeegoesbuzz

“Melk” to my mind is an Illinois/midwestern thing. Prolly about half of my classmates said “melk”; it was one of those things our teachers tried to shame us out of saying.

And, FWIW, I know it’s sloppy to say “Illinois/midwestern thing,” like it’s a thing. In just my small hometown, a few of the kids I grew up with had full-blown Chicahgo accents, some sounded more Scandahoovian, and some rocked a Southern Illinois drawl.

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

Stating that people get discriminated against because of their accents is not being racist, it’s just stating a fact. So stop being an asshole, Jumbofish.

Holly Pervocracy

There is accent discrimination in some areas.

The reason people are getting tetchy with you, Ruby, is that your response isn’t “so let’s fight accent discrimination and the classism/racism it’s rooted in” but “so let’s all learn to talk properly.”

jumbofish

No its not but you implied it should stay that way and you were ok with that. Not to mention it puts the blame on the victim like oh if you don’t want to be discriminated against don’t have an accent which is bs.

jumbofish

I think you are the one being the asshole here really. You support discrimination while I am just calling you out on it. But if calling you out makes me an “asshole” then sure call me that all you want. I’d rather be an “asshole” in someone’s eyes than supporting discrimination.

Holly Pervocracy

Arguably it’s impossible for people to “just start talking properly;” individuals can, but if all the working-class people started talking like newscasters, the dominant group would go and find a new accent to declare “proper,” rather than risk letting everyone into their accent country club.

This happens with names regularly–the upper-class names of one generation (Tiffany, Amber) become the lower-class names of the next–at which point rather than going “Tiffany, what a nice cultured name,” everyone goes “Tiffany, sounds like white trash.” So much for giving your kid a “proper” name. I suspect the same thing would happen with “proper” accents.

(Also, am I the only person who really can’t change their accent? I can’t fake accents at all. Can’t even do a bad fake accent for a joke. I’m lucky to have a fairly “generic” East Coast accent, because if I’d grown up with a rural/southern/otherwise unacceptable accent, there’s no way I’d be able to learn a “proper” accent.)

Kendra, the bionic mommy
Kendra, the bionic mommy

also. larry the cable guy doesn’t actually talk like that. it’s an act.

I didn’t know that. I’d like to hear how he talks when he’s not putting on his act. Is Jeff Foxworthy’s accent real?

I’m the same way. I try to hide my rural accent when I’m in a situation where people will make fun of it, but I’ll still slip up and say something like “We was”, “the car needs fixed”, or add some twang without thinking about it. I can’t keep up the concentration to keep my accent turned off. I definitely can’t fake any other accents.

Rutee Katreya

The flippant way you stated your original entry in this thread is easy to read as support of the racist, classist status quo, you flipping twit. Especially since you are so loath to recognize the status quo is shitty. I too said that it is to your benefit to sound privileged as get out, but I also made it clear that this is a shitty state of affairs and should change, whereas you just matter-of-factly decided to affirm that privilege.

And while your politics will allow the racist status quo to continue, I’ve focused on the racist things you’ve said, because that’s all I need to talk about.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

My accent is almost impossible for most people to interpret, since I grew up all over the place. People guess everything from English (nope) to British Columbia (also nope) to Irish (sort of close I guess, but nope) to British but from Hong Kong (closer, but still not quite). Oddly enough no one ever guesses by accent that I’m Scottish, though I can hear it in my voice if I’ve been talking to family. But I grew up all over the place and then went to boarding school, so that’s to be expected. Recently a lot of Americans don’t even seem to realize that I’m not North American, I think they’re thinking either Canadian or from some other part of the US? The only person recently to notice that I’m British based on accent alone is Japanese (and a professional musician), so that was interesting – I’m not sure if it’s that musicians just have a better ear in general, or that when you learn English as a foreign language you key in on small linguistic variations more.

WordSpinner
WordSpinner

@ Cassandra Says: I think there might be something to the musicians know accents thing. There’s a woman in my creative writing class who is a recent immigrant from Thailand but she speaks English with the local accent*. It is really weird. She also says that her Chinese professor says she manages a Chinese accent, too. She’s a singer, though, which probably explains it–she’s used to listening to sound and replicating it with her voice.

*I was going to say “she doesn’t have an accent”, but that’s stupid. Everyone has an accent, it is just that some of them don’t stand out to me, and she has one of those accents.

abeegoesbuzz
abeegoesbuzz

I can’t fake an accent, but I think that’s something separate from changing your accent. Plop me in the middle of my mom’s relatives for a week, and I’ll start talking like I’m from the Southern U.S. If I tried to speak with that accent right now — not gonna happen.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Okay, I have a question that I’ve always wanted an answer to. Why aren’t accents obvious when someone sings? Unless of course the singer exaggerates it, e.g. Herman’s Hermits ‘I’m Henry the VIII?’

I could Google but Manboobers are awesome.

hellkell
hellkell

Lady Zombie, that doesn’t explain country music, especially the old stuff where you can cut accents with a knife.

Shadow
Shadow

@Lady Zombie

I’m not sure that that’s true. There’s country music, like Hellkell said. Also, you can hear the accent in many latino/a singers e.g. Shakira or Iglesias.

pecunium
pecunium

Ruby: I was referring to assholes like Rutee, and anyone who paints me as a racist because I don’t agree with them politically.

Really? I thought the reason Ruttee said you were saying racist things is that Ruttee thought you were saying racist things.

Care to show where it’s a matter of political difference, and not a discussion of makes for racist/classist commentary?

KathleenB
KathleenB

Oddly, despite having what I would consider a pretty flat midwest accent, people constantly ask me where I’m from. I tend to slip in and out of accents and slang, though, especially when I’ve been around someone with a strong accent. And despite not being a Yooper, I do tend to add ‘eh’ to a lot of sentances.

As for the pop/soda/tonic thing, I will maintain till the day I die that sweetened carbonated beverages are POP! Although my first week at college (SE Missouri State), someone at a welcome barbecue asked me if I wanted a ‘sodie.’ I was very confused.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

@Shadow and Hellkell but aren’t the Country singers exagerrating the twang?

pecunium
pecunium

re singing (having sung) It’s mostly got to do with how singing works off of the open flow of the vowels carrying the notes, and the interruptions of the consonants making words. Since much of what we hear as “accent” is related to the ways in which vowels are shaped, and holding a note, largely, removes those qualities people like Sheena Easton (who has a burr so thick you can walk on it) sound, “normal”.

But “country” uses “twang” which is a consonantal variation (modified glottal sounds, the “ng” shape. Native speakers of foreign languages also have some consonantal
variations which change the shape of the terrminal sounds of vowels, so that their accent can be heard.

One of the interesting side effects of speaking russian with tolerable fluency, is that I can tell where the primary instructor of a russian speaker who has learned english came from. And, one of the most interesting accents I ever heard was a 12 year old german who was native speaker fluent in English, because he picked it up on buying trips with his family for business. They ran an imported clothing shop in Frankfurt, and he learned his English in Ireland. So he spoke with a german accented irish brogue.

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

OMG! When did I say people should speak properly? Answer: I NEVER said that. In fact, I said that it was SILLY to judge people by their accents. So what’s with the bullshit strawman argument? There’s no such thing as speaking properly. I mean, really, who gets to decide what is proper speaking?

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

Jumbofish, are you a moron that you like to read more into my posts than what’s there? I guess so.

Ruby Hypatia
Ruby Hypatia

Yes, Rutee, I’m sure you believe that anyone who is not a Democrat (Republicans and Libertarians) is obviously a racist, huh?

indifferentsky

Ladie Z, I totally wondered the same thing about accents, but people tend to just look at me like wat? and then say ‘you can totally hear their accents.’ and I’m like NO. then I feel weird, like I do frequently, like I’m different from everyone, living in Inception.

Also… for accents and such, I’m an American that watches Jeremy Kyle sometimes. Can’t.understand.a.word.

Also, Ruby, if you say things in the past people disagree with they will jump down your throats forever here making shit out of nothing and projecting moronic crap onto your comments and then going TSK CAN’T HELP IT you a moron, etc. I wish people would read carefully the comment they are looking at, and then only respond to that one if they must. Also, it’s poor form to hate people that disagree with you save for harmful things. I know people can argue that anything is harmful, IE libertarianism, but I think we know what I mean, I wish the invective was saved for the real trollz, and haters that frequent here. The rest I would err on treating like we’ve got decent sincere motives and keep it positive.

hellkell
hellkell

Indifferentsky, yes, in a perfect world everyone’s motives would be sincere, but there’s been a real run of supposed allies who start normal and end up all sorts of fucked.

Perhaps if you’re not an “ist” dickbag, it’s an easier road to hoe, Ruby? And the constant use of “moron” isn’t exactly endearing you.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

@pecunium Thanks! I’ve always wondered about that. I can think of a couple of British singers/musicians who I was shocked to learn were Brits. Chris Rea was one.

I’d love to hear the German kid speaking with a German accented Irish brogue. I’m planning a trip to the UK in September and I’ll be going from the South to the North of Scotland and the Orkney and Shetland Islands. I can’t WAIT to hear all the accents!

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

South of England I meant. Specifically the Cornwall/Lizard area.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

It’s been my experience too that musicians can often learn to speak new languages faster and more proficiently than most people, so I do think it’s having a good ear plus being good at hearing a sound and reproducing it. It also depends a lot on how often you hear the new language, though – people learn a lot faster via immersion, and the accent they end up with in the new language does have a lot to do with the accents that the people they’re learning it from have. I can hear accents in languages that I’m not fluent in, too, so it seems really odd to me when other people can’t.

Myoo
Myoo

@indifferentsky

Ok, see, Zhinxy is a libertarian and people here don’t treat her like a troll. The problem with Ruby is not that she’s libertarian, it’s that she said that poor people are all lazy and don’t deserve state funded medical care because it’s their own fault they have medical problems. And when she was called outon it, she wouldn’t budge on her position. That tends to irritate people who depend on state funded medical care to function properly or even survive in some cases. Just sayin’.

Flib
Flib

I’ve been working on a strong Russian accent for awhile. Largely because the party I’m running a roleplaying game for happen to be on a planet that was settled largely by Russians. Also for if I ever break out Paranoia for a short session.

indifferentsky

Sorry Maya I was referring to another thread where someone just said Ruby was a troll, on a thread where there was nothing remotely trollish going on.

Also to the very cute cartoon cat avatar… Rutee says moron and abelist stuff a lot, so are we going to be consistent?

Also my points being countered with why we disagree with her politically is missing my point. I know, that type of politics where everyone else is stupid and lazy is the bane of my existence. I hate it and would be tempted to be mean as well, I’m suggesting we do that on posts that warrant it and not carry over to when the person is not doing anything wrong, like when Ruby makes feminist commentary and then someone writes “Ruby: Troll”

I LOVE this site, and the comments are so awesome, I guess I just hate to see it here.

Ruby also said “If science can’t convince you that women are genetically programmed to go for men of means, then nothing can.” I don’t think she’s making a feminist commentary, but rather a gender-essentialist one.

Snowy
Snowy

Wait, when has Rutee ever said anything abelist? I’ve never seen her do that.

Shadow
Shadow

@indifferentsky

I don’t think hellkell was calling Ruby ableist for using moron, she was saying that referring to the community as morons won’t endear you to the community. I believe her “-ist” statement was referring to the previous classist statements that Ruby made, and has stood by (hellkell feel free to tell me that my ass is conversating if I’ve misread you)

As far as things not carrying over, the regulars here form a community. As a community, standards are set, one of which is that any oppressive beliefs are not welcome. Therefore, if a commenter here makes any -ist comments, they are going to be called on it. And if the commenter continues to stand by those beliefs, their welcome to the community is dependent on that. Not being misogynistic is only one of the standards, and someone who says non-misogynistic but still fucked up shit, is still going to be treated as an outsider (at the very least)

hellkell
hellkell

Indifferentsky: Rutee is abelist? Can you read? Or do you consider “lackwit” an abelist term?

Also, some commenters think they comment in a vaccum, and they ignore what they’ve said before or act like it doesn’t matter. Not so much, really.

Rutee Katreya

Fool, I think every single last human being on this planet is racist. Some people manage to be less so than the status quo, most do not. I am a socialist, so this is not how you want to try; that you fools are flying racist flags high does not mean the democrats aren’t racist, they’re just only regularly so.

I wish the invective was saved for the real trollz,

I wish people weren’t assholes at all. And that I had a pony.

Shadow
Shadow

@hellkell

I think indifferentsky took your post to be saying that Ruby was being ableist for calling the commenters morons

hellkell
hellkell

I thought IS was calling Rutee abelist and trying to make the tired argument that because she is, it’s OK for Ruby to be.

I was saying that Ruby’s blanket use of “morons” isn’t going to win hearts and minds.

The demi-trolls, they are confusing.

Rutee Katreya

Indifferentsky is probably not a troll, just one of those people who only wants happy peppy non-mean people, so the person who insults a racist is worse than the racist.