douchebaggery harassment misogyny oppressed men rape jokes sexual harassment

Gamer asshole: “Sexual harassment is part of the culture. If you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community.”

This may be old news to gamers, but a reader just brought it to my attention:

Capcom and IGN recently put on a little online gaming “reality” show called Capcom’s Cross Assault, based on the game Street Fighter x Tekken. The show, like the game, pits a team of Street Fighter players against a Tekken team.

During a live stream of the ongoing battle on day five of the tournament, Twitch.tv community manager Jared Rea made a few remarks  criticizing the assholish, and often misogynistic, comments of some of the fighters.

Here’s how the Penny Arcade Report summarized what followed. (I’ve taken the liberty of highlighting several particularly egregious comments in bold.)

“This is Aris,” a voice said on the feed. “If you don’t like onions, you get your sandwich without onions on it, man. This is the fighting game community.” He then stated that sexual harassment and the fighting game community are “one and the same thing.”

The voice belonged to Aris Bakhtanians, the coach of the Tekken team.

“The sexual harassment is part of the culture. If you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community… it doesn’t make sense to have that attitude. These things have been established for years,” Aris stated. He then noted that making sexual jokes at StarCraft players would be inappropriate, so it’s unfair for anyone to tell fighting game fans they can’t viciously mock women. …

“That’s what you’re trying to do to the fighting game community and it’s not right,” Aris continued. “It’s ethically wrong.” This may be the first time in the history of video games that someone had said that removing sexual harassment is ethically unjust.

Later in the, er, discussion, after someone brought up the harassment of a guy playing a female character (“someone yelling the world “bitch” over and over … and then scream[ing] for her rape when she lost”) Aris responded with this:

“What is unacceptable about that?” Aris asked. “There is nothing unacceptable about that. We’re in America! This isn’t North Korea! We can say what we want.”

You can listen to the whole discussion on this video; it starts, with Rea’s comments, at about one hour forty-five minutes in. (Aris starts commenting about two minutes later.)

Many more appalling details in the PA report post.

Oh, gaming community! Get it the fuck together.

Polliwog
Polliwog

Heh, all of the jackasses here trying to pretend they’re above us humans.

If the defining trait of “humans” is making rape threats towards other players in video games, then I’m happy to say I am indeed above them. No pretense necessary.

Of course, I seem to have a vastly higher opinion of most humans than you do, and think that they are, in fact, entirely capable of acting like civil adults, and do not actually have to make rape threats and harass people. Not threatening to rape people is actually really, really easy, so I’d have to have one hell of a terrible outlook on humanity if I felt that they couldn’t pull such a thing off.

M Dubz
M Dubz

@ katz- I am not a gamer, but I kind of want to spread that video all over the online gaming community. I don’t believe in harrassing real people, but I think it would be instructive as fuck for mysogynistic gamer dudez to see what their behavior really looks like to those on the receiving end.

Rutee Katreya

It’s a conspiracy, I tells ya!

It’s not a conspiracy when they outright say “women are banned from this event because of the serious problem that is sexual harrassment”.

Heh, all of the jackasses here trying to pretend they’re above us humans.

No, not all humans, just you and other asshats who think they’re cool for using -ist slurs.

kirbywarp

Meanwhile, non-jackasses like IR make good, wholesome video games. Games that are just plain fun, without any unnecessary hatred or targeting. Something people of all genders can enjoy, like pregnant poor people fighting over money.

Tulgey Logger

There once was a gent named factfinder,
or, was it preggopunchout? Where’s my binder
full of his pseudonyms
that lack wit but not whim
but to him bear no resemblance or reminder.

cloudiah

Not threatening to rape people is actually really, really easy

I have successfully gone almost 44 years without ever threatening to rape someone, so I think you may be on to something. Granted, for a few of those years I was not very verbal…

kirbywarp

Sorry, my mistake. I meant “poor pregnant women trying to cause the other to have a spontaneous abortion for money.” Silly me. ^_^

Tulgey Logger

‘Twas noted he couldn’t find many facts
and his abortion game got a swift axe.
No point could he find,
nor his errors did he mind,
so in reviewing others he stretched himself to his max.

kirbywarp

From finding he changed to reviews
For facts he could happily lose.
But he found to his cost
His motivation was lost
So now he just trolls on manboobz

Maya Lovelace
Maya Lovelace

Poor, poor trolls…

ideologuereview

You’re prickly little things, aren’t you?

Snowy
Snowy

there once was a finder of fact
who often would overreact
when his “organ” was used
as an insult he mused
that all men were now being attacked

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m not prickly! My stem is notoriously sticky, though.

Maya Lovelace
Maya Lovelace

You’re prickly little things, aren’t you?

At least we aren’t poisonous little toadstools love.

cloudiah

No one can be bothered to visit IR/Preggo/FactFinder at his blog, so sad. So he comes here for some social interaction. At least we get more limericks! Huzzahs to Tulgey, Kirby and Snowy — hey, your names all rhyme!

ideologuereview

I know you are damaged. Just let your pain pour out, it pleasures me.

jumbofish

I know you are damaged. Just let your pain pour out, it pleasures me.

kinkayyy?

Snowy
Snowy

kirbywarp

A group of gamers gathered to discuss
A problem that occured within their ranks.
“They’re rude, they’re crude, they’re sexist and its thanks
To them our female members raise a fuss.”
It took not long before they found they must
do something ’bout those bothers, harsh and wild
who were obnoxious as a stubborn child.
“It seems they should no longer play with us.”
A cry of outrage rang out through the air!
“How could you toss out all my friends?
Sure they may be a little hard to bear,
But gaming isn’t fun ‘less it offends!”
The one solution became crystal clear.
Girls can’t complain if they’re not even here.

ideologuereview

kinkayyy?

Bemused.

cloudiah

IR is pleasured by pain;
He has trouble remembering his name.
When his organ was insulted,
Pregnant women were assaulted…
Perhaps because he lacks much of a brain.

(I’m a little rusty with the limericks.)

Snowy
Snowy

Yay Cloudiah!!!!

@IR:

If I wrote you a sonnet, would that please you?

cloudiah

Please call me Cloudy, to keep the rhyming thang going. 🙂

But I, grasshopper, learn at the feet of the limerick/poem-masters.

Viscaria
Viscaria

kinkayyy?

Bemused.

I… what? Guys, I don’t even.

Snowy
Snowy

Sure thing Cloudy! 😀

cloudiah

The puncher of wombs was bemused.
He pretended to be just amused.
Lonely times at his blog
Left him in a fog.
The rest of us just … snoozed.

cloudiah

kirby, you are the zen master of poetry. Is that mixing metaphors, or is it something much, much worse?

magdelynswallows

Is this -> [http://i.imgur.com/mFwHv.jpg] the end of manboobz as we know it?

cloudiah

Will Rogers said, “I never met a man I didn’t like, until I met the Preggo Puncher. He’s kind of despicable.”

IR/FF, it’s difficult to pull off the “above it all” act once you’ve been caught making a game called Preggo Punchout.

khymchanur
khymchanur

DUDE THAT’S WHAT THE WORD RACIST EVEN MEANS

I think that a lot of people think that “racist”, when applied to a person, means that the person is (at least) someone like a Klan member, and there’s no nothing between “not racist” and “Klan member”.

kirbywarp

In former days he stood amongst the gnats,
A self-described locator of the facts.
But sadly most of his courageous acts,
Were quoting, out of context, silly spats.
His posts were bits of mold unfit for rats,
And his own self-appointed claim to fame
Was a derrogatory, fucked-up game
That only could appeal to sexist prats.
In vain he tried to change his title’s aim,
from researching the truth to just review.
But his opinions echoed empty too,
And he has him and only him to blame.
Put that inside your pipe and sit on it,
For you have just been burned by a sonnet!

Tulgey Logger

@Mags: I lol’d (it’s funny because it really is the end).

@Kirby: Freaking sonnets up in here. I love you.

@Tulgey Logger:

^_^ They are much more fun than I thought!

kirbywarp

Aww man… Just realized that L10 of my first sonnet isn’t iambicpentameter… 🙁 🙁 🙁

Should be changed to “How could you throw away all of my friends?”

Tulgey Logger

There once was a troll called IR
whose lame barbs went not very far.
He always fell short,
just like his retorts,
yet thought himself thrown to the stars.

The rascal’s hoary formulations
were much like his shallow gyrations;
but insult his member
and you’ll see his temper
and recall that fact-finder’s poor ministrations.

Tulgey Logger

Don’t worry, Kirby! The variation is half the fun!
Or so I’m told. I’m horrible at scansion.

kirbywarp

I can only assume that IR’s silence implies that he is busy working on a come-back sonnet! The gauntlet is thrown! It’s about to get poetic up in here! Two rhymers enter, one rhymer leaves! It’s a verbal-bruising metre-slamming war in Shakespere-ese! Bring your best quill and parchment, shites about to go down! If you can’t keep up with Kirby then by Jove you’re gonna drown!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m sure he’s busy composing a new blog post about how formerly innocent video game characters have been corrupted by the gay feminist poetry agenda.

Shepard was on it
until she wrote a sonnet.
Kratos was Hell
’til he penned a villanelle.
Sonic was steaming;
then he composed a sestina.
Fallout was everywhere;
now haiku’s in the air.
Arrows and knees
don’t need no rhyme schemes
so GTFO FREAKING FEMINISTS GOD I HATE YOU

kirbywarp

Classy… Like my new avatar!

Late into the night,
The comment section’s mirth roars.
Trolls cry silently.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue;
Fact Finder’s
got no facts
for you.

indifferentsky

This is one of them ones that hurt my tummy. Comments look like they might be fun, tho… I’ll check em out.

🙁 ergh this is so head and tummy hurting, this gamer crap. No words.

p'bee
p'bee

This is competely unconnected to gamers and sexual harrassment, but I remember a little while back there was some stuff on the Titanic, Costa Concordia, and the ‘women and children first’ idea. A couple of researchers at Uppsala University in Sweden have just released a study the shows the women and children first concept never even really happened: http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2012/04/sea-disasters

Petra Lorre
Petra Lorre

Wow. I just watched the Day 1: Sexual Harassment video on the PA Report’s summary and it was…difficult. The team coach, Aris, just hammered one of the players, Miranda, incessantly for the entire thirteen and a half minutes of the video. He covered topics of general interest, such as:
-mud wrestling b/t Miranda and another female player
-Miranda’s bra size and, of course, breasts
-Miranda’s thighs
-Miranda’s smell
-Miranda’s trip to the bathroom (#1 or #2?)
-the presence or absence of cameras in the bathroom
-the possibility of installing a copy of the Mona Lisa in the bathroom (with cameras where the eyes should be)
-Miranda’s boyfriend
-playing for the players’ shirts
-buying or making a skirt for Miranda to wear on Day 2 (since she hadn’t brought one)

It finally ended with Aris announcing that if Miranda lost the practice match she was playing, she would have to submit to his sniffing her while saying her boyfriend’s name. She lost, he sniffed her, she left, and Aris said, “I hope she’s crying in the bathroom.” Classy.

Joanna

“She lost, he sniffed her, she left, and Aris said, “I hope she’s crying in the bathroom.””

Wow…sniffing people…that’s totally not something a dog would do… I wonder if goes around sniffing all girls.

kiki
kiki

Aside from the vile misogyny described in the OP, I feel the most important point to consider here is that Tekken TOTES ROOLZ and Street Fighter, while hugely influential and great in its time, is some srsly played-out shit (as played out, even, as the term “played out”) regardless of what snazzy new graphics you bolt onto it.

It’s a shame about these little woman-hating fuckwads in the community because I always thought Tekken was quite good in terms of representation of women. It’s got what I think is one of the highest proportion of women fighters in a fighting game (25%), not all of them fit into the standard “moves-fast-but-doesn’t-hit-very-hard” model, and most of their outfits aren’t absurdly revealing. Some of them even wear pants!

Kyrie
Kyrie

Dear dumb asses of the internet: I know you won’t believe this, but if a man more handsome than Aris had done the same thing, it would have been an equally horrible thing to do.