douchebaggery harassment misogyny oppressed men rape jokes sexual harassment

Gamer asshole: “Sexual harassment is part of the culture. If you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community.”

This may be old news to gamers, but a reader just brought it to my attention:

Capcom and IGN recently put on a little online gaming “reality” show called Capcom’s Cross Assault, based on the game Street Fighter x Tekken. The show, like the game, pits a team of Street Fighter players against a Tekken team.

During a live stream of the ongoing battle on day five of the tournament, Twitch.tv community manager Jared Rea made a few remarks  criticizing the assholish, and often misogynistic, comments of some of the fighters.

Here’s how the Penny Arcade Report summarized what followed. (I’ve taken the liberty of highlighting several particularly egregious comments in bold.)

“This is Aris,” a voice said on the feed. “If you don’t like onions, you get your sandwich without onions on it, man. This is the fighting game community.” He then stated that sexual harassment and the fighting game community are “one and the same thing.”

The voice belonged to Aris Bakhtanians, the coach of the Tekken team.

“The sexual harassment is part of the culture. If you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community… it doesn’t make sense to have that attitude. These things have been established for years,” Aris stated. He then noted that making sexual jokes at StarCraft players would be inappropriate, so it’s unfair for anyone to tell fighting game fans they can’t viciously mock women. …

“That’s what you’re trying to do to the fighting game community and it’s not right,” Aris continued. “It’s ethically wrong.” This may be the first time in the history of video games that someone had said that removing sexual harassment is ethically unjust.

Later in the, er, discussion, after someone brought up the harassment of a guy playing a female character (“someone yelling the world “bitch” over and over … and then scream[ing] for her rape when she lost”) Aris responded with this:

“What is unacceptable about that?” Aris asked. “There is nothing unacceptable about that. We’re in America! This isn’t North Korea! We can say what we want.”

You can listen to the whole discussion on this video; it starts, with Rea’s comments, at about one hour forty-five minutes in. (Aris starts commenting about two minutes later.)

Many more appalling details in the PA report post.

Oh, gaming community! Get it the fuck together.

abeegoesbuzz
abeegoesbuzz

If this kind of sexual harassment and bullying were limited to gaming communities only, it would be a huge problem. And it’s not, of course.

ideologuereview

Oh, I love fighting games!

LBT
LBT

RE: IR

Preggo Punchout doesn’t count as a fighhting game, dude.

ideologuereview

“Get it the fuck together!”
– An unemployed blogger with preventable health problems.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Cool story, bro! I’m really craving a Caesar. This has been a nice chat about totally irrelevent things.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

That definately can be.

And when one of our delightful manboobz trolls DOES use a genuinely mean-spirited insult relating to someone’s mental health, gender, etc., Mags is suddenly no longer concerned about the expressive vs. repressive dichotomy and instead decides to focus on how the recipient parties are “cultivating their indignities.”

Maya Lovelace
Maya Lovelace

“Get it the fuck together!”
– An unemployed blogger with preventable health problems.

Thanks for demonizing people with actual mental illnesses. I myself have depression and it’s just hilarious when people say stupid shit about me and have no clue what’s it actually feels like.

Go back under the bridge, troll.

kiki
kiki

My only consolation for not being able to afford a new machine that can run Battlefield 3 is that I won’t have to suffer the bigoted little fuckers who play it.

ideologuereview

I’d say it’s relevant that David knows how to manage everyone’s life but his own. You may now go back to talking about how smart you are and how dumb the rest of humanity is, based on intangible or superfluous measurements*.
* Such as how well someone buys into your dogma!

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

I can’t figure out why misanthropy is considered somehow to be OK, but politically incorrect misanthropy is not.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Actually there are lots of people who are very smart and are also complete assholes, whether sexist, racist, or otherwise.

Guess which one you don’t come off as, factfinder.

abeegoesbuzz
abeegoesbuzz

Wow, you certainly seem to know a lot about David’s life, IR. That’s totally awesome and not weirdly speculative at all.

kiki
kiki

Gamers desperately seek out validation of–and mainstream respect for–their hobby, but fly into a defensive panic the moment anyone holds video games to the same level of scrutiny to which other media are subjected.

True dat. Sadly, this is the culture that innovated the use of the word ‘raped’ to mean ‘bested in a meaningless competition’. I’m not sure movies or poetry would’ve captured the hearts of billions quite as effectively if they’d done the same.

pecunium
pecunium

So FF thinks he knows how well Dave manages his life?

One wonders how he comes by this knowledge.

Ah… it’s something he pulled out of thin air.

TK
TK

‘I just can’t figure out why chicks don’t like video games as much as boys! Sure there are fewer female characters in most games and they’re usually half naked, but that’s just fantasy. And, okay, some ladies who work in the industry get called fat counts sometimes, but it’s just a minority being obnoxious. And yeah I might threaten to rape you and constantly equate being a woman or having a vagina with being inferior or subhuman, but it’s just trash talk! Anyway, it’s so weird. it must have something to do with evolution.’

LBT
LBT

RE: Roscoe

You can hate everyone you want. It’s when you start ACTING LIKE A DICK to them where it stops being kosher.

You know what being politically correct is? Caring about how your words will affect others. It is attempting to not act like a dick.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

What’s an example of each?

Off the cuff, I’d say “those [ethnicity/gender/people of superficial characteristics whom I have lumped together] are idiots” is pretty ugly and bigoted, whereas “humanity fails to live up to my expectations of it, the wretched slime that it is” is just pretty ugly.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

63% of the population of the United States is either overweight or obese. So you’re saying that over half of the population cannot manage their own lives, correct?

Keep it classy, brah.

Rutee Katreya

‘preventable health problems’ is how he’s saying ‘fat’ without using ‘shaming language’.

You really are that stupid, aren’t you? Not that this is what’s going on here, but philosophically, ‘politically incorrect misanthropy’ is just hating people who are marginalized already by society. Actual misanthropy (HAtred of the entire human race, as when I say ‘Just burn the planet from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure’) doesn’t discriminate based on marginalization, nor does it particularly further marginalization if it’s actually applied to all of humanity (as opposed to selectively, against the marginalized, as is so often the case)

Bostonian

So IR/FF/WFTBBQ is back trolling for hits for his blog that gets no readers?

Such a surprise.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

IR still hasn’t found a publisher for Preggo Punchout, it seems. Why can’t he just learn to manage his life better?

(And also be less boring.)

kiki
kiki

Because ‘politically incorrect misanthropy’ is a bullshit euphemism for bigotry that you just made up. Duh!

Holly Pervocracy

Actually, misanthropy is pretty much never okay. Get with the program.

However, misanthropy that disproportionately targets the same groups that every other fucking misanthrope targets disproportionately, yeah, that’s extra bad.

Get serious, “I hate everyone equally” dudes, it’s been a long time since you hated someone for being white and straight.

Alex

This may have been stated already, but there is actually a video of Aris sexually harassing a female player. http://kotaku.com/5889415/this-is-what-a-gamers-sexual-harassment-looks-like

ideologuereview

LBT, I speak for men everywhere when I say that I do not appreciate my organ being reduced to an insult.

kiki
kiki

Speaking as a man, I don’t give a fuck if you reduce IR’s organ to an insult.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
Roscoe P. Coltrane

The Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres were misanthropic. Marc Lepine’s and George Sodini’s massacres were misogynistic. Why should one type of hatred be elevated in seriousness above the other? Don’t both lead to tragedy?

ideologuereview

Into the kinky stuff, eh?

ideologuereview

The previous comment was directed @kinky kiki

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Ugh, the video. See, this is why I go out of my way to avoid geek-centric environments even if they center on things that I am interested in, like sci-fi. Too many of the men you run into are basically Fratboy 2.0 – The Passive-Aggressive Version.

kiki
kiki

Um… wot?

Reminds me of an exchange from an old comic book:

– “No offence intended.”
– “None comprehended!”

Alex

It reminds me of a discussion I had about the sexual objectification in professional wrestling. There again, the claim was, “If you take away the sexual objectification, you take away the wrestling! The sexual objectification is part of what makes it so great! If you took away the sexual objectifaction, it would be like selling tofu at the deli! (actual argument)” So now sexual harassment is what makes gaming great. What next? Sexual assault is what makes the comic book fandom great?

Holly Pervocracy

Whoa, Roscoe totally smacked down David’s post about “Columbine and Virginia Tech: No Big Deal Really.”

Maybe misanthropy and misogyny are both bad, did I just blow your mind?

Rutee Katreya

One almost never causes problems, the other causes problems daily. Only one of these actually is a serious problem, so yes, it should be elevated in seriousness relatively.

I’m sure somewhere in the world, someone has died by a rampaging moose, but rampaging moose are not a very serious problem compared to traffic accidents

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Well, there are lots of racists out there, but I have never seen an example of a significant portion of any society adopting misanthropy and offing themselves. And the distinction between “politically correct” misanthropy and “politically incorrect” misanthropy is meaningless, because misanthropy means a hatred of humanity as a whole. Racism and misogyny are just that– racism and misogyny.

Roscoe, I’m sure there are lots of things you don’t understand, such as how not to rape someone.

IR/FF, get off your opulent Aryan horse.

P.S. No gaming threads without the XBox girls!

Snowy
Snowy

Speaking as another man, I also don’t give a fuck if you reduce preggo punchout’s organ to an insult.

*waits patiently for accusation of being kinky*

jumbofish

Mags, do you ever challenge your MRA buds when they start going on about “shaming tactics” and “creep shaming?”

Well no of course not. When men are called names for their actions its srz biz but when women are called names just for being a woman thats ok because its all in “good fun” and being against it is restricting freedom of speech!

lexiedi

As a female “gamer” I tried (I really did!) to play online. First, I tried with voice-chatting. I have nothing against people having fun and there being some competative talk… But I was quickly ganged up on in a free-for-all game because I am a woman, and the comments got severely out of hand. So I tried to play without participating in voice chatting. Other players checked my profile and found out I was a female and I got a lot of shit again. So I just don’t play online anymore.

And then I often hear men saying that women just DON’T play “real” games online. That that’s not something women do, and it’s not true. We just stay away because people are assholes.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

“Dick” is misandrist, you guise. Say “asshole” because almost everybody has one. That way, it’s acceptable, i.e. misanthropic.

LBT
LBT

RE: IR

I’m a man too, but that’s fair. I’ll change it to ‘douche.’ Acting like a douche to people is douchey. Better?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

As soon as “dick” is used as an insult to imply that men are incapable of X or should get out of X or is used as a general term to chase away men from something then I’ll fight against it as misandry.

As long as MRAs bemoan the use of the word “dick” because it totally means “man” since men have dicks I’ll just point and laugh and call them dicks. 🙂

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

On topic, I am quite happy to not be part of certain gaming communities. Remember that story a while back where a group decided that the best way to stop the harassment of female gamers was to ban female gamers? Yeah…

It’s not that women don’t play video games, its that certain communities are dead-set on ensuring that women don’t play video games.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

And I completely missed lexiedi’s future-prediction ninja. ^_^

IdeologueReview

It’s a conspiracy, I tells ya! Heh, all of the jackasses here trying to pretend they’re above us humans.

Quackers
Quackers

@Roscoe

Yeah except last time I checked there is no movement that embodies a misanthropic message that has harmed people, while there is a movement that embodies a of misogynistic one (the MRM) and it was misogynistic ideals that kept women below men up until recently. There’s also a difference between targeting people and targeting a specific group of people, especially when that group was historically oppressed and considered less of a human being. Do you not remember the media frenzy and outrage over Columbine? I remember it like it was yesterday. Their crime was not one out of simple misanthropy. They were bullied and one was a suspected psychopath.

I wonder why misogynists always try to gloss over misogyny? maybe so it’s easier to not be called out on your shit? or maybe you brush off Lepine because his suicide note practically sounds like it was ripped off the manosphere word for word. Of course it’s not in your best interest to acknowledge that. Don’t think others wont though.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@IR:

Well, I can float for an absurdly long time with all my secondary jumps.

Quackers
Quackers

Roscoe seems like the type of dude that would say “why are there HATE crimes and not just regular crimes!”