antifeminism creepy disgusting women girl germs I'm totally being sarcastic irony alert misogyny oppressed men oppressed white men quiz quote of the day reactionary bullshit vaginas

Quote of the day: “We’re approaching peak vagina on television, the point of labia saturation.”

Ladies, please! We don't need to see THAT.

Quiz! Who said the following, in reference to the presence of women on television?

Enough, ladies. I get it. You have periods. … [W]e’re approaching peak vagina on television, the point of labia saturation.

Was it?

1. W.F. Price of The Spearhead
  2. Christopher in Oregon, legendary vagina-hating Man Going His Own Way
  3. Reddit commenter VjayjaysAreIcky69

Trick question! It was actually Two and a Half Men co-creator Lee Aronsohn, complaining to The Hollywood Reporter about the female-centric sticoms that have popped up of late. (There’s plenty to complain about when it comes to shows like Whitney and 2 Broke Girls, but “the main characters have vaginas” ain’t it.)

In a keynote address at the Toronto Screenwriting Conference, Aronsohn also defended his show’s tendency to portray women in a less-than-flattering light:

So brave, Aronsohn, so brave, standing up to the Matriarchy like that!

On ThinkProgress, Alyssa Rosenberg lays into Aronsohn:

[H]aving to hear that ladies have menstrual cycles, take birth control pills, and enjoy sex is just unbearable, right? Because even though the number of female characters on television tends to hover in the low 40 percent range, we’re just saturated with vaginas, because god forbid stories about men and their ish don’t absolutely dominate the media? Because even though those shows Aronsohn’s complaining about have actually created more writing and directing jobs for men than women, and resulted in some really awful portrayals as a result, we couldn’t possibly let women come to expect that they’ll have access to stories both about them and by them, could we? Because where would that leave poor, suffering, disadvantaged American men?

And then she takes on the entertainment industry in general, for tolerating his troglodyte views:

[T]hat Aronsohn is dumb and woman-fearing enough not just to believe this, to blithely admit he believes it to a major publication tells you everything about how cosseted Hollywood’s disgusting sexists are. You want to know why we get what we get on movie and television screens? …  Because there are, apparently, no consequences in Hollywood for being perfectly open about how much you despise women’s bodies and the contours of women’s lives.

Maude Lebowski, what do you have to say about all this?

Joanna

Isn’t Two and a Half Men mostly a show about guys complaining about their own body parts anyway? We’ve reached peak penis on television, the point of foreskin saturation!

darksidecat

We don’t even know that these women have vaginas. Genitals are pretty much never shown on US tv, even on pay channels. When was the last time you saw some genitals on U.S. TV?

He is reducing women to their (presumed, by him) genitals.

When was the last time you saw some genitals on U.S. TV?

Game of Thrones.

Joanna

“When was the last time you saw some genitals on U.S. TV?”

Spartacus =P

xardoz

Somehow I’m not shocked that the creator of horrible television is also a horrible human being. Also, “I’ve never had my heart broken by a man?” wow, good for him, but other people have. A misogynist with no empathy is not surprising either.

lauralot89

I have never been happier that I don’t have cable.

indifferentsky

WOO HOO! I’m in the stands of this blog, shirtless with my face and chest painted… and a huge foam NUMBER ONE finger waiving ALYSSA ROSENBURG wooo !!! You fuckin ROCK!!

Then I get out my big foam middle finger for the douche she’s laid waste to… boooooooo!!!!

And that’s how I feel about this pretty much.
-Back to my beer hat.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

I wonder how long it’ll take to see the mansplainin’ from other men in the entertainment industry in response to Rosenberg’s editorial. ‘Cause you know it’s coming!

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

When was the last time you saw some genitals on U.S. TV?

Game of Thrones.

It’s funny because it’s true. Less than 24 hours ago.

Shaenon

Also a giant misogynist (I have this on good authority): the creator of “Three’s Company.” I’m sensing a pattern here.

Quackers
Quackers

Enough, menz. I get it. You hate women…

Kyrie
Kyrie

Since the issue is “vagina peak”, when was the last time you saw a vagina on U.S. TV?

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Apparently women are vaginas. Therefore if a woman appears on camera, ipso facto, a vagina appears on camera.

ostara321
ostara321

Enough, ladies. I get it. You have periods

Zuh??? Not that I expected much out of the guy who created the unfunny garbage that is Two and a Half Men, but wow. I get the feeling that he thinks periods is all he needs to know about women.

hellkell
hellkell

You need cable to see a vagina on US tv.

Aronsohn should shut up and keep doing what he knows best: bad tv that insults everyone’s intelligence.

Arielle Shander

“Screw it. … We’re centering the show on two very damaged men. What makes men damaged? Sorry, it’s women. I never got my heart broken by a man.”

Perhaps it’s because you’re a heterosexual man, eh, Aronsohn?

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

And this is why I got bored of television. Except Doctor Who, QI, HIGNFY, and MLP.

Amused

I never got my heart broken by a man.

Funny, I never got my heart broken by a woman. Why is that, I wonder? Whatever the reason, it couldn’t possibly be because I’m straight and I’ve never actually had a romantic relationship with a woman.

Jesus, does this guy take stupid pills or something?

MollyRen (@MollyRen)

Cuz gay men don’t exist, amirite?

Sara
Sara

Well, that’s it ladies! They finally get that we have periods! Time to pack it up – this was our whole message and what we’ve been trying to get across for decades. It’s a shame we had to saturate the media with our labias for them to finally acknowledge we have periods! Now the men can have their turn, poor things are so under represented in sitcoms.

Holly Pervocracy

I’ve gotten my heart broken by men and women so I guess I have a free pass to hate almost everyone now?

…I think I won’t cash in that pass, thanks.

JohnnyBB
JohnnyBB

I’m sure that Aronsohn will refer to his dick, or his rod, or his… johnson without batting an eye.

Polliwog
Polliwog

Cuz gay men don’t exist, amirite?

Also, being “damaged” is never caused by your own choices, or by the actions of anyone in your life you aren’t sexually interested in. Choosing to ingest vast amounts of cocaine, for example, is super-not-damaging, whereas being turned down by a hot woman at the bar is CRAZY damaging. Especially if she you find out that sometimes she has periods, because ewwwww.

Creative Writing Student
Creative Writing Student

To say that ‘men only get damaged by women’ is an extremely narrow view of human experience. Seriously, what about family, friends, lovers, society, school, work, enemies, rivals, random wankers, ones own brain? I happen to have a group of close friends who are ‘damaged’, and whilst poor treatment by significant others is one way in which some of us became ‘damaged’, it’s not in all of us, and it’s generally a mix of all of the above.

I’m pretty sure you could use my teenage years as a source of extremely dark comedy (with drama moments) – and no mention of a single romantic encounter. But I guess that would put more labias in the media, and we can’t have that, can we? [/sarcasm]

Kyrie
Kyrie

I’ve never had my heart broken by a toothbrush. Either they are the most remarkable thing on Earth or they didn’t have the occasion because I never was in love or even in a relationship with one.
I’ve never been lied to by the king of Morroco!
I’ve never been betrayed by people living in Taïwan!
I’ve never been disinherited by my neighbor!
I’ve never been insulted by a mouse!
I’ve never been hit by my teachers!

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Sorry to derail but I <3 Patrick Stewart so much right now. It's 4 years old but I just now saw it. Don't read the comments though. Ugh. There's a bunch of "but women are just as violent as men and initiate domestic violence at the same rate as men and…"

ostara321
ostara321

Kyrie, I’ve never had my heart broken by a toothbrush either! Clearly we need more shows focusing on toothbrushes.

ostara321
ostara321

Cuz gay men don’t exist, amirite?

Either that or he’s convinced that they never have sad, messy breakups that they sometimes regret years later. Or have misunderstandings that go unaddressed which evolve into deeply rooted relationship issues. Or have disagreements that result in painful shouting matches. And they never pine for someone who doesn’t return their feelings.

I’m not sure what planet he lives on where this is the case, but here on Earth, I know plenty of men and women who’ve had their hearts broken by men.

abeegoesbuzz
abeegoesbuzz

When was the last time you saw some genitals on U.S. TV?

Mad Men. Enough, babies. I get it. You have diaper rash. We’re approaching peak baby ball on television, the point of teeny tiny testicle saturation.

Bostonian

I think it is time for Bostonian to be a pedantic asshole! No one can see a vagina on television! The vagina is an internal organ! You can see a vulva, but not a vagina on a naked woman.

Now if you are a total jerkface and use the word vagina to mean woman, then you are just simply too stupid to live, please cease to exist immediately.

anthonyzarat
anthonyzarat

You are all irrelevant.

Glass
Glass

I, for one, welcome the rule of our new Vagina Overlords.

pangea

This guy wrote for three women-centric sitcoms (Cybill, Grace Under Fire, and Murphy Brown) and he’s complaining about women-centric sitcoms? Say what?

Kyrie
Kyrie

Bostonian: I agree, ergo my question. Technically, it would be possible to see a vagina, but it would require a very big close-up. Or maybe a drawing, or even a dead one.
But I don’t think you can find a lot of those on TV. Though last time I went to a theater play they had a stuffed clitoris to illustrate what it looks like and the actual size of it. It was oddly cute.

spearhafoc
spearhafoc

I had my heart broken by a toothbrush.

No, wait, not my heart…oh yeah, it’s made my gums bleed. That’s obviously the toothbrush’s fault, but my dentist says it wouldn’t happen if I brushed more. Pfft. If brushing once a month makes blood, brushing twice a day will make 60 times more blood. Ipso facto – whatever that means.

Shaenon

People, please. Let’s show some respect here. The guy who created “Two and a Half Men” is neither a woman nor a gay man, therefore their experiences are of no interest to the world and should definitely not be mentioned on television, ever. Why does television exist, if not solely and entirely for the creator of “Two and a Half Men”?

With all the successful funny women suddenly out there in popular culture, I figured it was only a matter of time before we got some blowback. The hilarious thing is that Aronsohn can’t play the usual “women aren’t funny” card because, come on, he writes “Two and a Half Men.”

Kyrie
Kyrie

Haha, I’ve got PERIOD right now, in my VAGINA! Look at me bullying men.
Tmi? 🙂

And gay men have sex 24/7, never talk about silly things like feelings and never do stupid things like fall in love or cheat.

spearhafoc : I think Quod Erat Demonstratum would work better. All my condolences.

ozymandias42

As a “damaged” person myself… I have to say, my lovers are the LEAST of it.

Rutee Katreya

I laughed XD

I mean, it won’t stop him, I’m sure; never stops the mammoth folks either XD

Rutee Katreya

I just caught this line in particular. I guess that explains the dude’s weird fixation with how divorces TOTALLYFOREVER RUIN YOU.

Ithiliana

So, anybody else but me looking forward to the new HBO series “GIRLS” (I’m shortening the title, it’s actually GIRLS AND ALL THEIR VAGINAS AND ICKY STUFF ALL THE TIME JUST GIRLS NOTHING BUT GIRLS BECAUSE GIRLS! DID WE MENTION GIRLS?

I am in love with Lena Dunham: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/review-girls-lena-dunham-brilliant-HBO-298379

And I saw prevue on the Sunday GAME OF THRONES which rocked!

So I am clearly um totally something because GoT and GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS

i’m so excited…..

Maya Lovelace
Maya Lovelace

[W]e’re approaching peak vagina on television, the point of labia saturation.

There seems to be an inverse proportion between one’s pretentiousness and one’s intelligence. I’m sure I’m not the only person to realize this.

Maya Lovelace
Maya Lovelace

And yes, thank you Patrick Stewart. You’re amazing.

Maya Lovelace
Maya Lovelace

You are all irrelevant.

So tell me Antzy, how is the “greatest humans rights movement of all time” doing?

Quackers
Quackers

@AntZ

obviously not irrelevant to you and the MRM since all you guys do it rant and complain about us 😀

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

That graphic is terrifying. If they’d shown me that in sex-ed in Grade 5, I would have been psychologically damaged beyond repair.

So. Charlie Sheen is the way he is because Denise Richards was too mean to him? It wasn’t the drugs and generally abusive behaviour toward himself and, um, everybody? Wow. Who knew?

darksidecat

You people are so easily satisfied by a glimpse of genital on HBO…I am ashamed of you! XD

Also, I know I’m not the most romantic person in the world, but come on, don’t people have life issues outside of their dating troubles? I haven’t got laid in…well…a long time and I have other issues in my life that I can talk about. Do these people have no lives outside of trying to have sex?

magdelynswallows

So that’s what vaginas look like. Terrifying. It’s amazing so many men are into them.

1 2 3 4