antifeminism I am making a joke I'm totally being sarcastic irony alert misandry misogyny MRA oppressed white men racism reddit Uncategorized

Men’s Rights Redditors take on racism. By which they mean a white dude admitting that white dudes aren’t actually oppressed

Gold Medalist, Oppression Olympics

Over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, the locals are pig-biting mad about racism. Are they organizing vigils for murdered black teen Trayvon Martin? Are they challenging the Hunger Games fans who are sending out racist tweets complaining about the character “Rue” being played by a black actress?

Nope. They are doing something much, much braver. They are taking on a white dude for mocking other white dudes who are convinced they are the truly oppressed.

Over on the Boston Magazine web site, blogger Barry Nolan sets forth this truly hateful argument:

I have been a white male all my life and to tell you the truth, I have found it to be a pretty sweet deal. … Wherever you look and by almost any metric, any statistic, it works out to be a pretty sweet deal to start out life as a white male. …

So I cannot, for the life of me, understand why so many white men like me can be found whining about how tough it is to be a white man. It’s a mystery to me how they came to feel so beset on every side by feminists, minorities, and “the system.” When in fact, the system is so stacked in our favor, it’s almost embarrassing.

On the Men’s Rights subreddit a post blasting Nolan as a “racist idiot” now boasts 90 upvotes. In the comments, the brave antiracists set poor Nolan straight on a thing or two. To Ellwood78, it’s just a big coincidence that most of the powerful figures in the US happen to be white dudes:

NoNoJCM, meanwhile, reports on his own bitter experience as one of the oppressed:

Irrel_M is apparently a Stephen Colbert fan who isn’t in on the joke:

To paraphrase Sojourner Truth, “ain’t I a white dude?”

Note: This post incorporates some

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Swarming to post angry comments on a news article…MRAs are truly the Freedom Riders of our time.

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

In high school I won a writing contest for the regional school newspaper, it made me really happy, and my story took up most of the monthly paper. As a result, this asshole girl who bullied me sophomore year, she took a stack of that edition’s papers from the printing room and distributed them throughout the school’s bathrooms. The joke, for those of you on the edge of your seat, is that it was toilet paper, HA HA. Even some of the teachers thought it was JUST HILARIOUS. I guess that’s an example of “being rewarded much more highly” for my work, right? Right?. You’re all just in the business of doing whatever you can to devalue my achievements. I have little enough pride to begin with, and now basically what you want is for me to feel guilty or undeserving about whatever I do have and whatever meager success I do manage to get. You want to take that away from me too. No. I won’t let you do that.

In high school, senior year, I tutored this person in math class, because I’m pretty good at it. We sort of became friends, and I didn’t have too many friends, so I really appreciated the relationship. Then around April or something, I overheard her making fun of my lazy eye with some other dickweed. I guess this is an example of the extra respect white males get, right? Oh, I forget, it’s only when people actually show me respect or kindness that I don’t deserve it. When they don’t, that’s my own fault for being a total loser.

Summary: when I fail, that’s my own fault, but when I succeed, it’s because I was coddled.

I’m sure Futrelle will delete this because he banned me for no reason while still letting Nazis and pedophiles post, but whatever. I thought I might try to rejoin the community under a different name, but apparently you all are still talking about me, and I can’t deal with that.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Maybe you shouldn’t try to rejoin the community under a different name because the community doesn’t want you and you don’t have a right to inflict yourself on us? I know this is hard for you to understand, but you don’t just get to do whatever the hell you want regardless of how it affects others.

Bye bye for now, MRAL. I’m sure we’ll see you again soon, since you don’t seem to understand how go away means go away, even when it’s directed at special little you.

pillowinhell

Oh for fucks sake MRAL. Do you think you’re the only person who got treated like shit in school? Most people get treated like shit in school, many worse than you and many only because of the color of their skin. Its unfortunate that you have a lazy eye, I can see how that opens you up to derision. I was the geeky little chick with glasses litterally over an inch thick. And blind without them. Wanna take a guess how ofter kids threatened to break them?

Dracula
Dracula

For no reason, huh? Keep telling yourself that, you lying little troll-boy.

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

Don’t worry, you won’t see me here again.

Dracula
Dracula

Yeah fucking right.

jumbofish

We still talk about you because you WON’T GO AWAY. But thats what you want isn’t it? negative attention. Your just like that kid that always misbehaves just so people will notice them. Your pathetic.Go away mral.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Gosh, you’ve never said that before, nor have you ever lied about anything else here, so I’ll sure as shootin’ trust that you’ll be gone for good now 9_9.

And now I will stop feeding the troll.

Snowy
Snowy

Bye MRAL.

jumbofish

And seriously a highschool sob story? Oh boohoo. Who do you think you are around? Most of us here are the nerds and losers of highscool and middleschool. I’ve been bullied by lots of women in my life but you know what? That doesn’t mean all women are terrible and it doesn’t mean men aren’t privileged. You really need to grow up.

Holly Pervocracy

In high school, I had people destroy my clothing for a laugh. I had people throw bottles at my head. I had two boys price out how much they’d pay to fuck me and come up with “fifteen cents!” (I was, at this point, twelve years old.) At one point three kids actually threatened to set me on fire.

I am not fucking backwards enough to try and use this as proof that being white is really hard and that nobody took me seriously because I’m white.

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

When have I ever lied about anything? That’s not true.

pillowinhell

Ninja’d.

Look for what its worth, being bullied in school for things you can’t help or control really hurts. And it will hurt for a while longer, but it CAN get a million times better. Here’s how: remind yourself that that was thren and this is now. As an adult, you have a lot more control over your life and who you assosciate with. If your in a university or a new town, its a whole new opportunity and a chance to reinvent or discover who you are because few if any people know who you are. So pick someone who inspires you and try to emulate them. Remeber that if someone really bothers you, you don’t have to interact with them. You have your whole life ahead of you, you really gonna let some little shits determine the rest of your existence?

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

And I’m not lying about being bipolar… I was recently diagnosed.

jumbofish

When have I ever lied about anything? That’s not true.

The elevator incident you made up…

and many many more

Snowy
Snowy

Don’t worry, you won’t see me here again.
10 seconds later…

When have I ever lied about anything? That’s not true.
So there you have it. A lie. Will you really leave now for real? I live in hope.

Snowy
Snowy

curse you blockquotes!

pillowinhell

MRAL, on your recent diagnosis, I hope it helps you to feel better, and if its interfering with your happiness I hope that disapates with any treatment you’re taking. Its a difficult issue to live with.

Holly Pervocracy

When have I ever lied about anything? That’s not true.

Don’t worry, you won’t see me here again.

Also, you’re using a fake name (for the billionth time) because you don’t understand that our problem with you isn’t you, it’s the things you say, and anyone who comes in here saying those things is going to get the same damn reaction.

Although the constant use of new pseudonyms does say “I don’t respect your decision to ban me from this community and I will override that decision via deception, over and over”… and do you even get how wrong that is?

pillowinhell

Seconding Holly. Look MRAL, you can’t go around demanding respect and attention when you persist in showing disrespect and saying things in a forum you know will be offensive to the people there. We are not pleased to have you here, we’ve asked you to leave. If this were my house and you said the shit you do you’d have been tossed forwith and with prejudice. Do you also walk into conversations with people who don’t like you in real life? Insist in hanging out at parties you’ve been told not to show up in?

Dracula
Dracula

There’s really no point in discussing this, in my opinion. He’s not gonna get it, not now, not ever.

Viscaria
Viscaria

When have I ever lied about anything? That’s not true.

Oh hey, remember when you were here as Nathan, and you said “As for the MRAL thing, I really don’t know what I can do to prove anything to you. I do know MRAL.”

That sort of sounds like, I don’t know, a lie. Since you are MRAL. Ooh and then later in that same conversation you said that you were going to block this site. And yet, here you are. Hmm.

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

A blog is different from a house… and also, I only posted because I visited the site (I still read it) and then I see you guys talking about me.

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

And I did block the site, but I unblocked it recently, because I thought enough time had passed.

pillowinhell

Good bye MRAL.

Shadow
Shadow

Jesus fuck MRAL who the fuck was talking to you? There were like 4 posts out of 170 about you, and now you try and make the whole fuckin thread about you. You were bullied in high school for being a nerd and you think that makes your white privilege disappear? Guess what muthafucka, I was bullied in middle school FOR BEING SOUTH ASIAN. If I hadn’t toughened up, and become friends with a lot of the jocks, that would have been my story for high school as well. I know so many Asians and South Asians that were bullied for their FUCKIN RACE. I know black girls that were constantly told they’re ugly, BECAUSE THEY’RE BLACK. So until you get bullied for being white, you can STFU.

Holly Pervocracy

I think enough time is literally forever. There’s no reason to come back here. There’s enough other websites out there.

…Although you’ll get banned from a lot more of them if your idea of pleasant conversation is “sometimes bad things happen to white men, therefore privilege is a lie.” Man, whatever happened to talking about the weather?

lauralot

Go the fuck away, MRAL. Being bipolar doesn’t give you the excuse to sneak back into a community that has made it clear that they don’t want you around.

FelixBC
FelixBC

MRAL, matriarchy, sauron, my favourite troll. I actually worry about you. But you take expressions of care and concern from other commenters and then turn around and shit on the same commenters, either through constant whining about how hard done by you are, or through little rage fits where you let loose with the hatred. Not ok, and repeated so often that you’ve ruined any good will you could ever expect.

Grow up, take your meds, get counseling, do your fucking homework and go to class. Do what ever it takes to get yourself out of this angry hole you’re in. Otherwise you will wake up one day and see that you have squandered whatever chances you did get in life, earned or unearned.

And, see, I’ve already devoted more time and caring to you than you deserve.

Holly Pervocracy

This is, seriously, abuser-think. “I don’t do bad things because I want to! Only bad people do that. I do bad things when I’m forced to.”

And then you construct in your head a totally plausible scenario where someone mentioning your name offhand on a blog forces you to come up with a pseudonym, use an IP anonymizer, and post troll comments that have nothing to do with the mention of your name.

That’s bullshit. And it’s the kind of bullshit that makes me worry, man. Really makes me worry what else you might feel forced to do.

jumbofish

No you haven’t you dirty liar. You sockpuppet between your little breakdown (the time you said you would block it) and now.

Snowy
Snowy

I guess you thought wrong then. I’m going to second Holly and suggest that eternity is probably enough time.

Dracula
Dracula

Seriously dude, just go away. We will not be your friends, ever. You will not be welcome here, ever. It’s over and done, you fucked up, and there is no fixing it. Goodbye.

lauralot

@Holly: Is “Why did you make me troll you?” a term yet? Because it needs to be.

lauralot

You were banned. There is no “enough time passed” for a permanent banning. Get it through your head.

Shadow
Shadow

Seriously who the fuck thinks “enough time has passed” when the only way they can interact with the community is by creating a sock and never letting on who they really are.

Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

Um, Holly, I don’t think me posting here now is “a bad thing”, and I don’t feel “forced” to post here, so I don’t see how that’s abuser-think. I just saw you talking about me, so I thought it was fair game to post as me. That’s it. I could get angry that you’re trying to portray me as a criminal, but what’s the point.

lauralot

But Shadow, he clearly had no choice! We mentioned him and stuff! It’s all our fault!

Snowy
Snowy

But… You didn’t post as you, you posted as a sock.

hellkell
hellkell

MRAL, much like “no means no,” GO THE FUCK AWAY means go the fuck away. You have a high IQ, you should grasp this. Your refusal to coupled with the shit you say is why no one wants you here, under any name.

Get over yourself about being bullied in school. I was, and I’m sure I’m not alone here.

lauralot

I just saw you talking about me, so I thought it was fair game to post as me

YOU. WERE. BANNED. It will never be fair game for you to post here, because you are banned. Not on moderation, BANNED. Get the fuck out and stay away.

lauralot

@hellkell: You’re definitely not alone. I was a social pariah from kindergarten through senior year.

princessbonbon

Okay…we get some real swell people over here. How long are refuge claimants detained before they are allowed in the US and under what conditions? Canadians aren’t going to be happy about considering that, especially when the vast majority are law abiding people who want to work for something better.

Here are the US policies on immigration. However that does not mean the actual practice is the way that they outline it.

Here is the policy on refugees. Again, actual practice may vary.

This is where white privilege comes in heavily by the way and that is unfair.

The other thing which leaps to mind is..why is the US such a target? I mean, these groups are here in Canada and could wreak havoc here.

Years of stupid policies with the Middle East is the first reason-even Clinton could not reverse much of it and he did a great deal to get things in place for possible resolution for some of the long term problems. To be honest, I really wonder what would have happened had he had a third term with Israel/Palestine. Or even if Gore had sensibly filed for a full state recount in Florida and seriously pushed the issue with Bush.

What springs to mind is that yes, the Canadian government needs to weed out criminals and terrorists better. I don’t think there’s much argument here on that. However, the US needs to do something about why they are such a target.

Yes which is one reason why Obama has been right in ignoring much of the saber rattling from the Republicans. He still gives them too much credence but eh, he does that on everything.

Although sometimes I think the US takes the hit for some of the shit Canada and Canadian corporations pull or enable.

Probably, having an international reputation for being so nice tends to help in letting you get away with things because the US always is doing something ill advised at best and outright criminal at worst.

princessbonbon

Crud

Rutee Katreya

Be less pathetic, mediocrity.

@Myoo: well yes. Men get imprisoned more often than women, black people get imprisoned more often than white people, combine the two and you end up with a truly shocking number or black men in prison. (It would be a fairly typical example of intersectionality in action if it wasn’t for the inconvenient problem of men being un-oppressable.)

Not to belabor the point, but men commit more crime. Unlike on matters of race, you can’t point to a disadvantage on economic status as justifying this (The poor generally commit more prosecutable crime for a number of valid or understandable reasons including that little ‘prosecutable’ qualifier. However, the poor are disproportionately women and women are disproportionately poor). That’s why I look at matters like differing rates of drug prosecution when I say these things on race (There’s other measures, including the rough equivalent of case studies). Contra to what you MRA fantasists insist, this isn’t evidence of a ‘pussy pass

Note that there are no qualifiers in his piece – it tells all white men that they should shut up and that any forms of oppression they think they might be experiencing are in their imagination. Not only that, but his entire argument relies on treating class as irrelevant so he can conflate his experiences as someone who’s part of an incredibly tiny, incredibly privileged minority in terms of class with the experiences of others that aren’t so privileged (which is to say nearly everyone!)

The fact that you are illiterate does not make you correct. Hint: He does not say there is no such thing as economic privilege, or hetero privilege. He focused on the single most commonly misinterpreted-as-oppressed groups.

Not “White men can never be oppressed”. “White men are not oppressed for being white men”, you illiterate twit. That you are trying to play divide and conquer by pitting the poor against women (Bad move) does not change that he does not.

hellkell
hellkell

MRAL, so what we mentioned you? We mention B__n from time to time too. He’s smart enough to take the ban and go away, and lord knows he’s bone ignorant. You could learn from this.

Holly Pervocracy

Oh, okay, you weren’t forced to use a pseudonym and an IP anonymizer and lie about your identity and ignore direct instructions to leave, you just figured it was fair game to use a pseudonym and an IP anonymizer and lie about your identity and ignore direct instructions to leave.

As it so often is.

Abuser, not criminal. Lots of abuse isn’t technically illegal.

If you want to not sound like an abuser, you could start by not threatening to get angry because someone called you an abuser. (You can think it’s wrong, you can even be angry, but you can’t use your anger as a bargaining chip, like you’re being magnanimous by withholding it but might unleash it at any time. That’s the sort of thing that reminds me of abuser-think.)

Rutee Katreya

Um, Holly, I don’t think me posting here now is “a bad thing”

You think a lot of stupid and wrong things, so that surprises me not at all. Be less pathetic.

lauralot

Maybe if we started saying M__L, he’d take the hint and get lost. I doubt it, though.