antifeminism I am making a joke I'm totally being sarcastic irony alert misandry misogyny MRA oppressed white men racism reddit Uncategorized

Men’s Rights Redditors take on racism. By which they mean a white dude admitting that white dudes aren’t actually oppressed

Gold Medalist, Oppression Olympics

Over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, the locals are pig-biting mad about racism. Are they organizing vigils for murdered black teen Trayvon Martin? Are they challenging the Hunger Games fans who are sending out racist tweets complaining about the character “Rue” being played by a black actress?

Nope. They are doing something much, much braver. They are taking on a white dude for mocking other white dudes who are convinced they are the truly oppressed.

Over on the Boston Magazine web site, blogger Barry Nolan sets forth this truly hateful argument:

I have been a white male all my life and to tell you the truth, I have found it to be a pretty sweet deal. … Wherever you look and by almost any metric, any statistic, it works out to be a pretty sweet deal to start out life as a white male. …

So I cannot, for the life of me, understand why so many white men like me can be found whining about how tough it is to be a white man. It’s a mystery to me how they came to feel so beset on every side by feminists, minorities, and “the system.” When in fact, the system is so stacked in our favor, it’s almost embarrassing.

On the Men’s Rights subreddit a post blasting Nolan as a “racist idiot” now boasts 90 upvotes. In the comments, the brave antiracists set poor Nolan straight on a thing or two. To Ellwood78, it’s just a big coincidence that most of the powerful figures in the US happen to be white dudes:

NoNoJCM, meanwhile, reports on his own bitter experience as one of the oppressed:

Irrel_M is apparently a Stephen Colbert fan who isn’t in on the joke:

To paraphrase Sojourner Truth, “ain’t I a white dude?”

Note: This post incorporates some

Holly Pervocracy

Actual purchasing power resides in the wives… or if they’re not married, their personal shopper or executive assistant.

Clearly personal shoppers are the real power brokers of the world.

Also, if talking about racism is racist, then isn’t talking about talking-about-racism racism, like, double racist?

Shaun Day
Shaun Day

Is Peter Nolan the crazy “kill all the lawmakers who try to force us to pay child support” guy?

Edit: *one of* the crazy…

Moewicus
Moewicus

It makes more sense when you realize that Irrel_M is the founding member of the Apathetic Anti-Racism Coalition.

boxofcrates
boxofcrates

I saw something similar to the racism comment once.

Someone told me, in all seriousness, that calling someone out on racism was as bad as actually being racist. Because it meant you were judging that person for who they were, or something? I don’t know. It still makes no sense to me.

theLaplaceDemon
theLaplaceDemon

I’m speechless.

Quackers
Quackers

Ugh. Poor Barry, now he’s swarming with those idiots. ACTIVISM!

I think MRAL is in the comments as “check yourself” didn’t he say that here?

kirbywarp

This exchange really sets the tone for the comments section…

Sara Edwards says:
March 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Please make up the “Mangina” buttons. I will give them to the wonderful men I know (gay and straight) who think as you do. They can wear them on the “Where are the Women?” T shirts that need to be manufactured too. Thanks for the blog!

Travis says:
March 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm
@Sara – Perhaps you could give out those buttons to the some 200,000 men who are raped each year behind bars in the United States. Would that make you feel good about how good men have it?

Yeah…

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

It’s a natural reaction when confronted on one’s privilege to go on the defensive at first. However if you can manage to get past that and actually listen and employ empathy, and then step back and look at your situation with the neat new lens given to you, your privilege becomes glaringly obvious.

This is one of the many things these MRA shitlords refuse to do.

Quackers
Quackers

@Kirby

What an ass. Plenty of women are raped too. By friends, family, acquaintances and so on, yet that doesn’t seem to deter MRAs from constantly insulting women and shitting all over rape victims by insinuating most of them lie.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

So, when white women admit they also have it pretty good (on the race axis) do these guys flip their shit equally, or do they agree that white women are terrible for all reasons? :p

@Lady Zombie:

The fundamental thing you have to realize in order to understand the privilage argument is that you are not representative of everyone else… -_-

It’s kinda weird that that is so hard for people.

@Quackers:

Makes me think that they really don’t care all that much about rape victims. Prison rape is just convenient as a counter to feminists talking about rape.

Kyrie
Kyrie
Viscaria
Viscaria

Okay okay okay, some troll tell me again about how the MRM is a movement for the rights of all men, not just the poor persecuted white, cis, straight, able-bodied ones who represent the vast majority of MRAs. It always cracks me up when y’all pull that one.

LBT
LBT

…these people really don’t seem to realize that one person doesn’t represent the standing of their whole group in society.

Like, I’m a college graduate. Went to grad school too. Currently work part-time for $10K a year. However, I realize that I am not the mythical “average college graduate,” and that the average college graduate (the average ADULT) makes more than I do. I’m privileged, just unlucky (or incompetent).

LBT
LBT

Also, I frickin’ HATE the, “if you complain about racism, you’re racist” crap.

Seriously, by this logic, the only way not to be a bigot is to never protest or stand up against any bigotry thrown your way!

Oh wait…

Person 1: *racist comment*
Person 2: Hey, that’s racist.
Person 1: You know, only racists talk about things being racist.
Person 2: Oh, I’m sorry, please carry on.
Person 1: *more racist shit*
Person 2: You know… I’m pretty sure saying racist things is racist.
Person 1: You racist.

Shadow
Shadow

@Bagelsan

They have it good because they’re Western women, but their inferior lady-brains and constant victim-fetish make them blame it on race. Get with it.

who said they were having difficulties deciding if they wanted the first woman president, or the first black president

Emphasis mine. Clearly NoNoJCM is struck by this white male hating tyranny, that would completely overlook the obviously more qualified white male candidate that was …. *mumble mumble*

kirbywarp

Person 1: (later) I hate all this crap about racists and racism. There are some people who call anything racist.

Shadow
Shadow

BLOCKQUUOOOTTEEESSSSS!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Yeah, as far as talking about race being The Very Most Racist thing… It turns out not talking about race issues is a great way to avoid them if nobody gives a crap about your race. I could wander around all day being “colourblind” and my life would be easier because people look at me as Default Human (female model), and race never comes into it. It’s not that easy when you’re a POC and many people consider your race to be your most salient feature, and use it to make assumptions about who you are and how you behave and the many ways you’re just not as good a person as they are.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Did anyone follow the race-realism debates on Youtube? Apparently now, being anti-racist is being anti-white. Oh and racists are trying to rebrand the word by calling it “race realism.”

They love to pull out The Bell Curve and quote Rushton and Jensen extensively, and they continue to do it even after their precious sources have been debunked into oblivion. It’s especially icky when you realize they’re trying to make it about intelligence and race, implying that certain races are genetically less intelligent.

The reason I mention this is because the MRM uses the same tactics. They’re continuously spinning the states and perpetrating fallacious memes. Problem is, the tactic works. Memes spread and it’s hard as hell to correct or get rid of memes spreading false information.

It’s both fascinating and repugnant at the same time. I’m reading the comment section of Nolan’s article and the memes are out in full force.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Spinning the stats I meant.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Posting this again…

Quackers
Quackers

@Lady Zombie

Barry posted a link to the BJS Family Violence Statistics report…I looked through it and found this, page 2.

Approximately 60% of family violence
victimizations were reported to police
between 1998 and 2002. The reporting
rate among female victims was not
significantly greater than the reporting
rate among male victims.

Emphasis mine. Use this next time they try to claim male victims under report.

Quackers
Quackers

that isn’t to say there shouldn’t be shelters for men btw, obviously there should

magdelyn c. prossii (@magdelyn)

White guys should jus shut up and buy into the feminist narrative, with its “partriarchy” and “privilege.” I love all the nashing of teeth from a bunch of privileged white women on manboobz. The irony is hilarious.

kirbywarp

Oh, hey mags. How have you been?

Holly Pervocracy

White women who deny racism and silently benefit from it are sooo much less ironic.

LBT
LBT

RE: mags

Wait, white people aren’t allowed to bitch about other white people being racist now?

Moewicus
Moewicus

But if you’re a white guy who acknowledges privilege and does not shut up, Mags decides you lose all credibility and calls open season on genitalia insults.

The irony is delicious.

Falconer
Falconer

Wait, white women are the only people who go on about privilege?

Falconer
Falconer

The irony is delicious.

Clearly the important factor is talking about privilege.

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

@Mags:

Can you give me an example where a white person is disadvantaged in comparison to a minority?

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Wait. So we can’t talk about white privilege in general, or we just can’t talk about white privilege if we’re white ourselves?

Moewicus
Moewicus

Clearly the important factor is talking about privilege.

Well, first Mags said I had no credibility for thinking it exists.

Later she talked about how it exists but she doesn’t care because it’s all about how other people treat her.

So the important factor seems to be acknowledging the reality of social privilege and then actually giving a shit.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Sunburns.

…I think that’s it. And it depends on the individuals in question, and how much they wear, and how they prote– ya know what, forget it. ;p

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Wait, white women are the only people who go on about privilege?

Aren’t we? Many white feminists seem to think it’s so… >_>

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

@Cotton Pony:

Slavery ended over 150 years aog, stop pretending to speak for us!

I’m leaning towards “Kyle (or some MRA) in blackface”

Crumbelievable
Crumbelievable

Peter Nolan is the Spreadheader who wrote that someone should “plant bombs in malls to kill feminists and manginas”.

This guy is named Barry. Completely different.

Morgan
Morgan

I discovered the whole Rue controversy last night, and as a fan of the books, it is described that Rue is black, ergo it makes sense that the actress who plays her be, you know, black.

Now I’ll sit back and watch these people spin my words into something that makes it seem like I’m racist, right MRA peeps and Rue deniers*?!

*Don’t know what else to call the folks who claim Rue WASN’T black/dark-skinned, who clearly never read the books….

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

I’m just waiting for some MRA to write an angry blog post about how Hunger Games is female supremacist and a feminist ruse to encourage killing men. I’m calling it now.

ithiliana

MOre for the ‘man’ is default human: crash test dummies have been created based on size and weight standards for men; results are significantly different with female crash test dummies:

Shadow
Shadow

It’s funny. When we say society shits on us, people are quick to tell us that we have victim complexes, and society doesn’t care about white people any more than it cares about POCs. I bet you it’s the same people that have such trouble caring about a black child dying, and see that as so natural that they believe the casting is at fault.

@Crumb

Not necessarily, I’ve seen many POCs, especially non-Black POCs (but some Black people as well), claim the same thing. It’s another manifestation of “I’m not like those”, special snowflake mentality.

Sharculese
Sharculese

uh, because he turned out to be a philanderer and a tax cheat. i was an edwards supporter (although i don’t think he was ‘obviously more qualified), but seriously, i’m pretty sure at this point everyone is like ‘man, am i glad i didn’t nominate that guy’

Shadow
Shadow

@Sharculese

My bad, should have added a /sarcasm tag. I was an Obama supporter throughout, so Edwards was not someone I considered to be more qualified, though I did like him more than Hillary. My point was that they are talking about electing the FIRST woman or black president, both at least equally qualified for the job as the White male candidates, and yet he thinks that the fact that more than a handful of dems wanted to see either the first woman, or the first minority, in the White House, it’s a travesty of epic proportions, and proof that it’s only the White man that gets the job on pure merit.

indifferentsky

This is what I’m thinking even if Rue was not described as black.

who.gives.a.shit.

How many people were described white or purple? All of them, but if they weren’t. who.gives.a.shit.

Racists like The Hunger Games, what kind of book is this? The critique sounds so absurd that I feel like I’m getting half the story. Are people really saying that, like…people that can read? Since racism is in every echelon of society I should not be surprised racists can read, but I always am.

I think what pricked these pricks here in the post is that he said “males” …had the guy only talked about white people in general the MRM would not have jumped on it to make their obtuse commentary. Unqualified women getting promoted. Right. LOL.

indifferentsky

Is there any reason that the hunger games could not have been put on by an all other that white people of color cast?

WTF? Can’t shake how stupid that is.

Rutee Katreya

For how much you claim to be annoyed about feminists being ‘white women’, not only do you only care about white men, but you fucking ignore that we are not all white women. Much like the rest of your little game, it grows wearisome. Fuck off, Mags. You’re nothing but a troll.

1 2 3 5