antifeminism I'm totally being sarcastic misogyny MRA reddit

The Burny Mike Show

All hail mikesteane, brave Reddit warrior and champion of the rights of men!

Found on the Men's Rights subreddit.

magdelyn

To the other two former military people, I also took the naval flight deck firefighting class when I was stationed at Lemoore Naval Air station.

Pecunium

I ride motorcycles. I’ve done things like 8,000 miles in 19 riding days (SF ->Barstow ->Flagstaff -> Albuquerque -> Oklahoma City -> Memphis -> Oak Ridge -> DC -> New York -> Syracuse -> Ottawa -> Naples -> Ottawa -> Callendar -> Iron Bridge -> Rhinelander -> Minneapolis -> Lincoln -> Laramie -> Wendover -> SF), and I can’t to Motocross.

Then again, I’d like to see these guys hunt a deer, much less a mammoth. Who wants to bet they ruin more meat then they harvest, and then they can’t preserve it?

I’ll even give odds, on most of them.

Anyone want to cover any of that action?

Shadow
Shadow

@KathleenB

Probert is a little before my time but, having watched a couple of his fights, I can see what you mean! I felt the same way when I used to watch Donald Brashear fight

KathleenB
KathleenB

Shadow: As much as I loved my late 90’s Wings (first Cup in like, 60 years!), the shit Probie pulled made me a little sick to my stomach.

BoggiDWurms

It’s kinda funny and pathetic how when men do better than women in something physical or sport related all the MRAs and generally sexist dudes think it’s some glorious win for Team Man, or that it reflects their own individual abilities. How many of them can successfully put out a fire? how many of them can flawlessly complete a motocross course? I’d wager not many.

Sounds a lot like a good deal of racists. They claim how superior a race of people are so they can feel they’ve achieved something just for existing. Of course, they’re just little parasites who can’t actually earn anything on their own merit.

IdeologueReview

It’s true that racists tend to be most insecure about their status, statistically poverty-level individuals. However, men who reject feminist dogma actually earn quite a bit more. People who earn $8.5k less tend to send less to Uncle Sam, and are also more likely to be on welfare.
Just my two cents.

Yeah! Poor people are societal leeches, amirite?

Magpie

Hooray! I’m a societal leech! 😉

Magpie

It’s pretty quiet in the comments, so here’s the story of Magpie’s Excellent Day.

Got new glasses, top and shoes, started the day with a hair cut, so I’m feeling very glamorous. Met a friend for coffee, sat outside because the weather was really nice. Dropped into a shop to look at the pretties, and chatted with the owner for half an hour, drinking turkish coffee. Looked into the mower shop to see if my lawnmower was fixed – they said it was buggered and I should throw it away, but this was good news because I have some money saved up. Had lunch with Dad at the new cafe – one of the posh sort where you can’t pronounce most of the menu, and you’re not sure what you’ll get til it arrives. Very nice light lunch. Went to Bunnings and bought a brand new mower that runs on batteries. It’s quiet, just whirrs. It starts with a button and is very light to push around, and it even dealt with the knee-high grass! I can finish the rest of the long grass tomorrow morning, I won’t have to worry about waking people on a Sunday morning, because it is so quiet. And the cat has a big cardboard box to play in. Everything today has gone great!

zhinxy

Your missives sparkle with such intellect and class that we are shaking in our boots as our rigid ideology fails us. Truly, you have hurt me to the core. Oh, wait, huh, this is a disgustingly unfree market and priveleged people might have certain advantages in it.

zhinxy

Magpies day sounds awesome. My kitty has outgrown his favorite box. It makes him sad. He needs a new one 🙁

Magpie

zhinxy

I don’t know if I ever made my position on welfare clear, btw, so I will. i think a freed market society wouldn’t have much need of it, and that mutual aid networks would cover what need there was, but if there’s to be a State and we’re to use it for “a safety net” then I want all the current bureaucracy gone and the ridiculous net of programs replaced by a Guaranteed Minimum Income, which I’d ideally want financed through property taxes, but I’m flexible there. Lot less state, plenty of security for “the citizens,” people have bargaining power, it’s cash to be put back into circulation, it eliminates the “need” for a minimum wage, etc. Sadly, the Democrats fell to despicable collapse on the workfare bs, and only the Greens, some socialists, and scattered Geolibertarians are really arguing for it now. I say we go for it. You wanna argue about the libertarian-ness of it, take it up with fucking Hayek.

zhinxy

“Zhinxy, it’s the perfect excuse to go and buy something – Puss needs a bigger box!”

This is true! But my sister gets a lot of packages, so it’s harder to excuse XD

Magpie

zhinxy

“They’ve been talking here about swapping all the different welfare payments for one standard allowance, calculated the same way no matter why you need it. It would make things easier to understand, I reckon.”

Let’s hope!

People rarely want to calculate the tax costs of what’s needed to monitor all those lazy poor folk on assistance and MAKE SURE they aren’t “taking advantage of the system” either.( Hint, that is way not free… )

Magpie

It’s calculated in the budget that Centrelink will “breach” a certain percentage of people/weeks. The Centrelink officers aren’t happy about it, because they have to go looking for reasons to breach people when there is no reason to cut their payment off! For a while the Gov would hand your payment over to a church charity to pay your bills and rent when you were cut off. Strangely enough, the church was the one the treasurer belonged to :[

shaenon

I remember famous misogynist/cartoonist Dave Sim going through a period of obsessing over women firefighters in the back pages of Cerebus. He honestly believed that hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were dying in fires all the time because of the countless incompetent female firefighters hired under those well-known firefighter quotas.

Then again, maybe it’s like that in Canada. Damned if I know.

darksidecat

As someone who has lived among rich white people and poor white people in the US, my experience is that the notion that poor people are more racist is utter bullshit. I have heard upperclass people in upstate New York say things that only someone who as KKK affiliated would say in Appalachia. Wealthy northern racists tend to only engage in explicit racism when they don’t think there is a person of color in the room, but they share most of the worst beliefs you could find among rural or southern racists. As someone who looks very white, some of the shit people will say to my face when no visible people of color are around among wealthier USians is every bit as horrible as anything you would hear from a Klansmen (and I say that as someone who has actually had runs ins with the latter).

Poor white people have their fair share of racists, and it’s ridiculous to deny it, but when you actually boil it down, wealthy people have just as horrible of views on average (and more power to implement them). It’s quite popular for rich white people to scapegoat the poor, especially the rural poor, so as to not actually have to own up to their own racism and the racism that is rampant in their communities.

IdeologueReview

Wow, I got more response than I was expecting with this one. All I was trying to do was to counter Boggi’s misconception that MRAs had a more “parasitic” existence than male feminists. Now all this hogwash about how you’re entitled to free money and you earn less because of evil villain corporations who have it in for feminists

zhinxy

Are you still here? That wasn’t really a reaction to you, poor thing. And no, people aren’t entitled to anything, but I would replace welfare with the basic income system that old commie Friedrich Hayek advocated in The Road To Serfdom, if we’re to have a state economy instead of a free market. Which unfree market corporations are a much bigger drain on and distorter of than anybody at the bottom rung.

zhinxy

DSC- so much yes, nother thing is that rich white people can self segregate and insulate their racism.

Rutee Katreya

@DSC:
So like the North and the South’s racists then?

@FF
Are you illiterate?

darksidecat

@factfinder, you do realize that us actual socialists think the bourgeois is the unproductive class right? Probably not, capitalists are allowed to be incredibly lazy in their understandings of other economic theories. Showing that someone is wealthier, to me, in fact suggests that they are far, far more likely to not be productive workers. Who makes the food you eat? The clothes you wear? Who provides physical and other caretaking for members of society? Removes the trash? And, the rich also get to be the luxury class (thereby having free time to sometimes do novel things) by sucking off all that labor, which is often unrenumerated or low paid. It’s wealthy people who are the social leeches.

If you want me to even begin to consider the argument that corporations don’t receive welfare at the highest rates, they need to start paying taxes at similar rates to poor people, paying when they commit torts (fuck limited liability), no eminent domain on their behalf, etc.

And take away the welfare for the rich, don’t allow them to utilize any student loans, government subsidized programs, spaces, grants, contracts, etc.

Pay back all of the stolen land, all of the stolen labor, all of the injuries done.

The rich could barely even begin to make reparations for the systems that put them where they are and the systems that keep them there without being as broke as the rest of us, or worse. It’s easy to say “I got here on my own” if you ignore the billions of dollars, massive social systems, and hundreds of years of brutality that put you in place to take those opportunities.

zhinxy

Really, the standard Marxist definition of the wealthy as parasitic on the wage laborer is probably far too kind, state capitalism requires plenty of completely uncompensated toil and misery to be viable… Reccing David graebers amazing Debt, the first five thousand years to all and sundry, such great illumination on all such topics.

Amused

However, men who reject feminist dogma actually earn quite a bit more.

I love the term “feminist dogma” — implies that the belief that people should be evaluated on the basis of their individual aptitudes and achievements is, well, too inflexible. The “traditional view of women’s roles”, however, that dictates that anyone with a vagina must be forcibly reduced to the role of an incubator and a lackey, and get raped for the crime of venturing outside, is not dogmatic AT ALL.

Also, $8,500 per year is NOT “quite a bit more” when spread across the entire economic spectrum (in other words, if you are talking about men making something in the $30K-$50K range, the difference is a whole lot less than $8,500) — unless, of course, you live in that mythical land where $300 per month in child support not only pays for all the kid’s expenses, but allows the mother to live a life of luxury, with Maseratis and everything. I note, however, that the study you cited only considered individual incomes, not household incomes. I submit that the $8,500 difference in favor of men who think of women as household appliance is more than offset by their wives’ income being either non-existent or very small.

Also, IR: learn your tax law, for crying out loud. The relationship between one’ income and the amount of money sent to Uncle Sam is not linear. Households with lots of children and only one earner get a whole bunch of tax breaks, which translates them into paying less and taking more from the public fisc.

Just my two cents.

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

Shoot, I wouldn’t go that far. I’d place my money on “they can’t bring one down in the first place.”

/ also hunts

Pecunium

Dani: I was factoring in the “failed hunt” aspect of ruin more than they harvest. And it’s not as if hunting for the pot is glamorous. Up too early, in the weather to cold, to head to the game trails etc.

Then the waiting,… it’s not all that active (this isn’t feudal Europe, where dozen of men would spend the day chasing one deer).

Yeah, odds are they are hoping the ladyfolks collected some roots and berries.

Pecunium

zhinxy: What’s scary is the last person to suggest a national minimum wage was Nixon.

Terrifying when he’s too liberal, in policies, for anyone to think of electing.

BoggiDWurms

@IdeologueReview

That’s not what I said at all. What I said is that MRAs are just as parasitic as racists because they both “take credit” just for belonging to a very broad and arbitrary group of people.

You’re link leads to a video called “Paranoid schizo complains to city about “rogue helicopter pilot””
You expect me to take you seriously?

Falconer
Falconer

Hell, even I know you don’t shoot a bear, or multiple deer, because you can only carry 200 lbs back to your wagon.

And you need to leave room for your spare axles.

Shadow
Shadow

@Amused

Just my two cents.

But the question is: are they taxable? If not then you may well be a societal leech.

This, however, I agree with completely! After all, aren’t country clubs the most racially inclusive institutions in America?

Dani Alexis
Dani Alexis

@Pecunium: Have to re-calculate my odds, then. 😉

I actually kind of enjoy the “up waaay too early sitting a tree stand before the sun rises” bit. At least the first couple days – after that, it’s swear words all the way.

Personally, I’d expect these dudes to die of dysentery first.

Pecunium

Dani: I spent Waaaay tooooo many mornings up too long before dawn in the Army. Stand-to, staring at the dark and hoping nothing shows up. I like the early morning, when I happen to be in it for some incidental reason, but getting up on purpose? Not so much.

pillowinhell

What’s up brandon, you never responded to real life, valid safety concerns for children, disabled and pregnant people. Don’t have a. convenient counter for it?

Also, I’m feminist and prochoice, but I don’t for a moment expect to dictate to another human being what they do with their reproductive organs, despite believing for myself that a fetus is a child from the moment of conception, which meant I chose an adoption for my first born child. I don’t claim moral high ground either way because I know what the costs are to the person faced with making those soul searching decisions.

Pecunium

pillowinhell: I think you meant to put this in the Utereses thread.

🙂

IdeologueReview

I skimmed to this sentence and quit reading.
You’re[sic] link leads to a video called “Paranoid schizo complains to city about “rogue helicopter pilot”[sic]”
You expect me to take you seriously?

Oh dearie me. He/she/it seems to have missed out on that very subtle hint that the boy/girl/transman/cross-dresser/pansexual/unsure/etc was paranoid. After all, it’s so obvious doctors and engineers earn more is because of some conspiracy involving rich white men, how could I have missed it?

darksidecat

I skimmed to this sentence and quit reading.

Bostonian

Content note for extreme stupidity and misogyny

Two girls in luck
by ~periRick

Voice over: Two cum-hoes
Visual: Two semi-diagonal bars zip across a black background. Both bars have a perspective, 3/4 view of the women’s eyes like a typical fighting game. The one on top has mascara and eyeliner done up in a faux-asian style. The bottom one has a teardrop tattoo and has large fake lashes with ostentatious gold eyeliner.
Voice over: One feeder
Visual: Outline of the millionaire appears behind the tinted window, visible only by the orange glow of a cigarette or small cigar. In his left hand, an average square camera is visible, about the size of a normal disposable.
Voice over: Two preggos
Visual: The millionaire and window become more distant as the view quickly pans out. The panned-out areas are darker than the rest. The two eye-bars are arranged so that they are in the respective women’s bodies as they become visible. The shading lifts to reveal two heavily pregnant women. The room is about 10 meters wide, each woman on either side, and has white or greyish tile, except for the window, and a sealed metal door. Setting has a high-tech yet retro feel to it. Could be anywhere between the 80s and modern day. Both women are shackled to the floor with one clamp.
Voice over: One breeder! *Buzzes*
Visual: A small red bulb on the top of the room flashes, lighting the entire room briefly, and the shackles pop open. The two women begin waddling towards each other, gradually gaining momentum. One pulls her fist back, eying the others’ belly, as the other prepares to knee her opponent.
Voice over: Preggo Punchout!
Visual: Blood and gore splatter effect, first “Preggo” and then “Punchout!” Everything fades to black except title, as blood and gore smear down the screen. The sound of a lullaby or other childish music can be faintly heard.

Bostonian

I give you Ideologue Review, dumbest game concept writer ever! Also known as FactFinder, the guy who can never find a fact, ever.

zhinxy

“As I said, the vast majority of capitalists in the west are incredibly lazy and sloppy when it comes to actually arguing economic theory with a Marxist. Rather than actually dispute our points or try to address them, they just flail around and wonder why you didn’t just collapse in the face of their red baiting.”

Marxism gives you bees! And the worst part is they aren’t REALLY free bees!

Amused

Doctors and engineers earn relatively little compared to financiers. The highest-paid jobs are in finance and big corporate management — and incidentally, these are jobs that entail far, far less responsibility or expertise than engineering or medicine. Especially when you adjust for the cost of education and the number of hours that have to be invested into learning technical professions, they pay a pittance compared to “experts” who are worse at their jobs than a random generator. And incidentally, those highest-paid “professions” are thoroughly dominated by white men.

It’s amazing to me that people who screech the loudest about the market don’t understand the first thing about how it works. The market is a commercial expression of culture. That means that in a sexist society, men will get paid more for being men, even if the utilitarian value of what they do is questionable.

IdeologueReview

You mean like how you think a single doctor and engineer is less productive than a field worker? I think I did address that. If you had some revolutionary economic theory after that, I’m just not interested in how you want to spend my money.

Pecunium

You mean like how you didn’t dispute the relative questions of productivity between doctors and engineers vs. bankers and CEOs?

darksidecat

Factfinder only eats things he makes himself in his laboratory. All other food is unnecessary.

IdeologueReview

Whatever gets you off, honey.
You said that people who earn less tend to be more productive. You’re basically saying that charities should be sending farmhands and cashier clerks to volunteer in developing nations rather than doctors and scientists, because farmhands and cashiers earn less on average and hence are more productive.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

Actually a farm hand who knew a lot about how to grow a specific crop would be a lot better than an engineer to send to a third world nation.

A doctor may be valuable when there is an epidemic going on but other times maybe not.

And both the engineer and doctor would need to know how to handle developing nation problems and limitations. Knowing how to read a MRI does little for a doctor in a remote village with a measles outbreak.

Pecunium

FF: Conflation my dear. I didn’t male either of the comments I referred to.

And are still 1: not answering those questions.

2: Conflating income with output.

Anecdote: I used to be a machinist. Machinists time, at my shop, was billed at 125 an hour. I, as a journeyman, was being paid 15 an hour.

The owner of the company (who didn’t found it, it was part of a court settlement), couldn’t run a machine, at all. The owner couldn’t quite a job. Couldn’t program a part. Didn’t know how to do assembly, or run a brake, or the stamping press, or deburr anything.

All the owner knew how to do was sign the checks.

There was a job family we did a lot of (laminate spacers for shimming something in communications sattelites for Hughes). I managed to figure out a way to cut ten minutes off each parts run. Since that job usually had about 40 runs to complete, that meant I saved the company 400 minutes, or about 6.6 hours.

Which meant the profit on the job went up by about 1, because of the way repeat jobs work (the job has a standing bid. When a customer wants a repeat, they just send an order, and the last quote is used. So the 6.6 hours we didn’t have to spend was still charged ($833), and the machine was free to be used on a different job (another $833). Let’s say we can put about half of the shared time as profit, so call it 1,200 per order.

We did about 50 version of that job in a year. Which means I made the company an extra 62,000 a year.

I was being paid, after overtime, about 35,000 a year.

So my employer, who could do none of that; knew, actually, nothing about the physical operations of the shop, got to pocket 62 thousand dollars, because I was on the job.

Which of us produced more?

Which of us took more money home?

Rutee Katreya

What the fuck is a doctor going to do without support staff again? If there’s nobody to keep the hospital-space clean, nobody to handle all the other work, that needs doing (Tests, care, etc) all you really did was waste a lot of potential aid effort. My dad did a lot of this kind of thing for several years.

If a village needs a schoolhouse or a well, yes, they will benefit from having the help of properly trained engineers (My dad was an electrical engineer and a reservist; guess which of these two things prepared him to help poor, underdeveloped villages, and i’ll give you a hint, it wasn’t his electrical engineering degree), but there’s still a lot of hard manual labor to be done after that. The reserves didn’t just send him and call it a day, they sent his unit, because after something was designed, it had to actually be built.

What the shit do you think scientists do? Just randomly wander around until a divine voice hands them a problem’s solution? What are they there to do, exactly? Because there is no easy solution science can give to the fucked up situations in, for instance, africa. Some of it is plain old economic power, like the gold and diamond mines propping up shit that keeps white westerner’s wealthy and destroys the ability of local people to actually profit from what few natural resources they were given.

Yeah, jobs that belong to wealthier classes have contributed to improving developing nations (The carter foundation recently ended a disease in the region. Like, completely and utterly wiped it out), and that’s great, but a lot of things need straight up hard work, and it’s a cold comfort to those who, for instance, starved to death anyway, or died in another pointless fight that a disease was ended. Just because it doesn’t require college to learn something doesn’t mean it’s easy to actually do. It just means it takes less training to learn how to do it.