creepy hypocrisy men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA pedophiles oh sorry ephebophiles racism rape rapey reddit threats violence against men/women

Reddit's Post-Pedogeddon Backlash, Part One: r/beatingwomen weighs in on the pedo ban

While Reddit’s reluctant, long-overdue banning of subreddits devoted to sexualized pictures of children drew applause from many Redditors, there has, of course, been a considerable backlash from pedophiles, ephibophiles, and other assorted apologists. ShitRedditSays has already started covering this, and I’ll be doing some posts of my own.

So far the most appalling thing I’ve run across (thanks to ScrappyB for pointing it out in the comments here) comes from the BeatingWomen subreddit — which is, unfortunately, a real thing. Some people, you see, are suggesting that maybe Reddit shouldn’t be hosting a forum devoted to sharing images and videos of women being brutalized, so that Redditors can cackle over their victimization, make rape jokes, and whatever else they do there.

The idea that r/beatingwomen “might be next “ roused one racist, misogynist jailbait enthusiast to post this little manifesto.

He’s not trolling. If you look at his comment history you’ll see he’s completely sincere. (Actually, don’t look at his comment history. It’s horrifying. I’m not going to link to it.)

In case any one is wondering, r/beatingwomen is the subreddit that r/mensrights mod AnnArchist (a guy, despite the name) posted to on several occasions, because he considers r/beatingwomen-style “humor” to be hilarious.

Ami Angelwings

The MRAs who whine about Shroedinger’s Rapist better be up in arms over this guy right? Since he’s basically saying that SR doesn’t go far enough and that literally EVERY man wants to rape us. Right? I won’t be holding my breath xD

Ami Angelwings

Hey I’m first! People always go “FIRST!” and stuff when they post first right? o_O So… what do I get? o:

Ullere
Ullere

Speaking for the menz I’d like to say I do not dream of holding the women I see down and violating them etc…

I was pretty sure Beating Women was a troll reddit? I haven’t visited it but others posting about it have said it’s a sub-reddit that exists purely to try and get a reaction out of people?

Ami Angelwings

That is a pretty freaking scary comment though. I just love how open he is about it. “ALL MEN ARE RAPISTS AND WE ALL DREAM OF RAPIINNG YOU SO YOU BETTER LET US HAVE WHATEVER SUBREDDITS WE WANT OR WE WILL JUST GO OUT AND RAPE YOU” e_e Isn’t this extremely misandrist?

Or is it only a problem if Swedish people make a play about his words? xD

Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

I hope so, Ullere.

If it’s not trolling, I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

Holly Pervocracy

That’s the most misandrist shit I’ve read today.

Hey, MRAs, you want to meet someone who thinks that all men are predators, all women are victims or potential victims, and that men are naturally and inevitably drawn to commit rape and abuse?

Here he is.

I expect you to go after him with great fervor, just like you totally went on the offensive against The Amazing Atheist for attacking a male rape victim, just like you began a campaign against Paul Elam for making jokes about raping a man!

Come on, MRAs, aren’t you ever going to stand up for men?

Ami Angelwings

@Holly IME, most MRAs get around this little logical problem by saying that ultimately feminism is to blame for everything, so you go for the source rather than caring about little things (which they tend to dismiss as rhetoric, hyperbole or joking neways) >_>

Holly Pervocracy

“It’s just a troll” never held much weight with me.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, you know?

Ullere
Ullere

Dammit your link in your linked blog page about the R/mr mod takes you to beatingwomen.

Still I see.

‘ATTENTION: This is not MRs. We will remove any stupid whinny bullshit related to MRs. (self.beatingwomen)’

Now while doubtless r/mr has some assholes, maybe even an asshole mod i don’t think MR and BW are in anyway related.

Rutee Katreya

Threats made for the purpose of advantaging men, that play off of social narratives that primarily advantage men as a class, are not misandrist. They’re just fucking nasty.

Every idiot who apologizes for pedophiles should not be permitted contact with anyone but other pedophiles and pedophilia apologists. Fuck the lot of them. Break their computers and exile them from civilized society.

hellkell
hellkell

“Patrick Batmen?” oh, cute, another little American Psycho fanboy who doesn’t realize that book is satire, not a fucking manifesto.

The fact the there is a beating women subreddit is disgusting. Once again, I wonder how these asspimples relate to the women in their lives. Would this guy be OK with some toolshed saying this about his mother or sister?

Ullere
Ullere

‘Because if you’re joking about hurting women, but secretly you’re just doing it because you want women to read it and feel hurt…’

I would hope not, or with the sheer abundance of distasteful jokes I have heard everyone in the world is likely a sociopath. All racist jokes make you a racist, all rape jokes mean you secretly want to rape, all terrorist jokes mean to secretly wish to be a terrorist… etc.

Seems like a extreme belief to have.

Joanna

“The fact the there is a beating women subreddit is disgusting.”

There is also a beating children subreddit.

Holly Pervocracy

Rutee – I don’t really think “misandry” is a thing, at least not in the way “misogyny” is. It’s possible for an individual to hate men; it’s not possible for them to tap into a long-standing and broadly entrenched hatred of men.

But the MRAs sure as hell think “misandry” is a thing, so I like pointing out the hypocrisy every time they ignore it because there isn’t a woman around to attack.

Rutee Katreya

Um yeah. They do actually. The only way to find that shit funny is to be a racist.

hellkell
hellkell

Ullere, why are you here? To be an apologist for this and tell us “too extreme,” or “it’s just trolling?”

I don’t give a fuck if it is too extreme or someone’s trolling, this shit is foul, and you can take the first exit to Fuckrightoffville if you think otherwise.

Joanna

“The fact remains that any time you walk outside, any time you are seen by men, they objectify you, they hunger for you, they dream of holding you down and violating you, and many of you will get the chance to let them act out those desires before your time is through.”

Really? I always thought I wasn’t slutty enough to be raped.

PosterformerlyknownasElizabeth

That fictional character is not someone to live up to. He is fake, he does not exist. So how about not trying to live out his life.

magdelyn

Don’t go to /r/beatingwomen. It’s worse than you think

Holly Pervocracy

Um, yeah, racist jokes do make you a racist.

Rape jokes don’t necessarily mean you’re actively planning to rape someone, but they do mean that you consider rape appropriate when someone “has it coming,” as well as that you’re willing to humiliate and potentially trigger rape survivors.

Generally terrorist jokes also mean you’re a racist.

hellkell
hellkell

Yeah, some shit’s just not funny, and if you can’t rock a joke without kicking a down group, the problem isn’t with the person hearing the joke and not finding it funny.

Joanna

What gets my goat is the dudes that get butt hurt over not having a space to be creepy pedophile, woman-beating assholes. Get therapy you freaks!

Spearhafoc

Jesus. There are no words.

Ullere
Ullere

Or racist jokes mean you find stereotypes funny. Jokes about clowns mean you secretly wish to be a clown, jokes about misogyny
mean you secretly…

@Johana ‘There is also a beating children subreddit.’ Yeah thats a new subreddit created because of the very thread we are discussing here.

@hellkell Yeah this shit is foul. But for all the reasons I’m here stating the obvious is not one of them. It is also possibly a troll reddit attempting simply to get people good and pissed off, but then you don’t give a fuck.

Holly Pervocracy

There’s also an “intent is not magic” issue here.

If you make a racist joke even though you’re totally not a racist (however that works…), but a member of the race you’re joking about hears it and is hurt, then your joke did cause harm. Or if someone a little more racist than you heard your joke and it gave them the “everyone here is on my side!” confidence to go out and attack someone, again, regardless of whether you meant to be a racist or not, you caused harm.

If your fist hits my face, whether you meant to punch me, whether you identify as a puncher, does not make one bit of difference in how big a bruise it leaves.

And if you’re a decent person who actually isn’t a puncher, you hear this and don’t swing your fists around next time.

cloudiah
cloudiah

Since this post made me despair, I clicked back over to the story about Foxie, the cat with cancer, and they’ve now raised over $1400 for her treatment. Feminist humans are cool.

pillowinhell

Sigh. Glad I was born an old soul. So. Any petitions out there to deep six this one? Or maybe some legislation regarding posting this filth?

Some days I’d rather spend cleaning out an overflowing and poorly maintained restaurant grease trap than read what’s on the net

Bostonian

Ullere, jokes that rely on stereotypes are only funny to people who believe in the stereotypes. And if you make jokes using stereotypes, there is nothing secret about your misogyny, racism or cruelty.

I know “It’s just a joke” is supposed to be some sort of cover for the joke teller, but everyone really does know what you really are after they have heard you tell that kind of “joke”

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

Telling racist jokes makes you racist.

Also, water is wet.

Holly Pervocracy

Here’s another scary thought for people saying r/beatingwomen is “just a troll”:

It probably is, for most of the members.

But there’s almost certainly a few guys on there who actually no-joking have beaten women. And they get a community encouraging them and egging them on and telling them that what they do is okay, it’s funny, it’s normal. They get, intentionally or not, an abuser support community. One that makes them feel so safe, so confident, so “lots of guys do this,” so “no male juror would convict me, I can tell from the stories here that other guys know how it is,” so “these guys gave me all the ideas I need to justify this to myself” that they go out and beat up a woman.

There’s no joke that’s worth that.

cloudiah
cloudiah

Oops, didn’t realize petition had closed. Long day.

hellkell
hellkell

Ullere, so what if it’s trolling, you simpleton? It’s still bad.

Quackers
Quackers

Ok, I’m not even gonna even try to sugarcoat it…reading this shit does actually make me a little bit misandrist. I sincerely apologize to all the men here but everyday it’s getting much harder to just overlook this shit. I don’t believe it’s a minority because this attitude is reflective everywhere. I was just reading an article in regards to those tweets of women saying they’d let Chris Brown beat them and it was full of domestic violence jokes and men thinking those 25 women who were most likely joking means all women like to be beaten and har har what inferior bitches we are!

This is why many women are afraid of men they don’t know. This is why we are wary. I don’t care about your precious feeweeings. My safety comes first and until this attitude disappears I will regard you cautiously, because for all I know I could be riding home on the bus every night with the freak that made the OP post.

cloudiah
cloudiah

There’s a current petition, but it seems kind of moribund with only 6 signers (and it is also limited only to r/beatingwomen, unlike the other one which had a broader focus on banning these kinds of subreddits):

Sorry for the multiple posts. I am not a spambot! Just not at the top of my game…

Dracula
Dracula

I’m not sure what difference it makes if it’s considered a “troll reddit” or not. It’s a subreddit devoted to people posting pictures and videos of real women who’ve been brutalized, and people making jokes, and saying other vile shit, about them. That’s pretty hateful.

Seriously. I don’t give a shit if they’re trolls, I don’t care if they’ve never raised a hand in anger their whole miserable lives, they’re still having a good fucking laugh at real human suffering. It’s fucking vile.

Pecunium

What Holly said about giving cover to real abusers (if we assume that this is a bunch of asshole trolls).

The thing is, on the internet, no one knows you’re a dog. You are what you present to the world, so the act of trolling makes you a troll

As an example I’ll point to this bit of Rape Apologia here on Manboobz, where, we didn’t get it, and jury nullification is all about reform a flawed system. Of course that’s not really what it does.

Just like this doesn’t really make fun of people, it says beating women is ok.

Which is wrong.

Polliwog
Polliwog

I think it’s a bit much to say that telling or laughing at a racist joke in any circumstance makes you a racist. If one Jew tells a Jewish joke to another Jew, in private, and they both laugh, does that make them anti-semites?

I absolutely agree that intent isn’t magic and one has to be careful that one’s joke is appropriate to the audience (and, of course, I also think that there are truly vile jokes that aren’t really appropriate in any context), but I think there are times and places where telling a racist joke is at least as much about poking fun at racism as it is about poking fun at members of a given race.

Quackers
Quackers

@Pecunium

Wow…Rad’s rationalization hamster is really something to behold, especially since it’s not a matter of voting not guilty on actual innocents, but on actual defendants who ARE guilty of rape.

Joanna

@Polliwog: yeah I know what you mean. This is an example of racist jokes about the Irish.

I’d be upset but they are actually hilarious. It’s a little hard to insult the Irish to be fair.

Holly Pervocracy

You know, speaking as a Jewish person, this doesn’t happen so much. Even as a Jew, I can’t know that another Jew will be cool with it.

There’s Jewish humor that’s shared between Jews, but that’s a different thing–it doesn’t use “Jews suck” as the assumed premise of the joke. There’s an enormous difference between “why do Jews have big noses? air is free” and the kind of jokes you hear from Woody Allen or Mel Brooks.

blitzgal

I think his handle is the most pathetic thing of all. He couldn’t even get Patrick Bateman.

Joanna

@Holly: “Jew gold” is often the joke when my Jewish friend is around.

Major Kong
Major Kong

“As long as you are a woman, you will be smaller than us, weaker than us”

I think Sam Colt rendered that a moot point 150 years ago.

Holly Pervocracy

Joanna – I’ve pretended to laugh at jokes like that when I didn’t want to start a fight.

Something to keep in mind.

Glass
Glass

I read up on some of the links to that shit. Ugh it hurt what’s left of my soul.

Rutee Katreya

Ullere
Ullere

‘If someone could hook me up with a list of these guys RL names and a solid alibi of my whereabouts for the next few weeks, I’d appreciate it.’

A joke about harming another human being eh? That means that secretly you want to… or perhaps it’s just a joke.

Joanna

@Holly: I actually don’t know any other Jews so I can’t say I’ve offended any. My friend doesn’t really give a toss. He often jokes that, being a left-handed, diabetic Jew, he’s a real minority in our group lol.

1 2 3 5