alpha males antifeminism homophobia misogyny reactionary bullshit that's not funny! the spearhead

Christopher Hitchens is no more, yet women remain unfunny: The Spearhead pays tribute

Hitch also enjoyed smoking.

As you may have heard, Christopher Hitchens – writer, drinker, atheist, shit-stirrer – died the other day. He’s gotten tributes from people all over the political spectrum. Over on The Spearhead, the fellows are paying tribute to his life. Well, not so much his life as to his opinion that women just aren’t funny – apparently their vaginas get in the way, or something.

Here a fellow named Rocco offers his fond remembrances of the man:

I applaud him and wish him to be considered by the big man upstairs to have done the world a service by publically opposing the political machine that is feminism by telling a simple truth.

Woman aren’t funny and men do alot of the great stuff they do like music, art and war to impress women.

Maybe this is why women will never invent anything, why bother.

Twenty upvotes and one downvote for that. Presumably that one downvote is from God, who’s probably spent the last couple of days just going around downvoting anything positive said about Hitchens.

Keyster elaborated further:

His point being that not only do women not need to be funny to attract men, they don’t need to do anything else but simply be women; dress nicely, wear a little make up and perfume – – pleasant personality or the ability to engage in substantive conversation is completely optional.

Everything men strive for is to attract more women.

Everything women strive for is to be more like men.

See the conflict?

Attila added this:

This Cuntry has become so PC- that it couldn’t produce someone like Hitchens- as much as I may disagree with some of his views. He had a functioning mind- and an evidently rigorous education. Can anyone name anybody like him in the public arena? The fact he could throw words like “dyke” around with ease in the middle of his perorations shows a great deal of confidence (he wouldn’t let himself be bullied).

Hitch, this part of your legacy lives on!

But it’s a little-noticed comment from Nutz that highlights Hitch’s most impressive accomplishment:

Well, he was drunk in a lot of his interviews. Personally I thought he was great and one of the things that made him remarkable–he’d be drunk in an interview or debate and still soundly spank the other person with his wit.

Whether you loved him or hated him, agreed with him or disagreed with him, you’ve got to admit: he somehow managed to accomplish more while staggeringly drunk than most of us accomplish stone-cold sober. And that’s something, I guess.

Joanna

Women aren’t funny….the ladies here make me laugh every time.

ozymandias42

How much of an asshole do you have to be to talk about “the big man upstairs” when paying tribute to a famous atheist? It’s incredibly disrespectful.

Jeez. When believers die I don’t talk about how their soul doesn’t exist anymore. That dude at the Spearhead could extend the same courtesy.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

I’m an atheist woman. I disagreed with Hitch over many things, including his ‘Women Aren’t Funny’ spiel. However, the amount I disagreed with him paled in comparison to how much I stood with him. He spoke out against the abuses of misogynistic, Abrahamic religions and other misogynistic cultural practices. For that I applaud and mourn him.

It figures that the many in the manosphere are zeroing in on the few of his more sexist blunders. Douchenozzles.

Alphalady
Alphalady

Tell that to Betty White, Joan Rivers, Tina Fey, Marilyn Monroe, Margaret Dumont, Carole Lombard…

Joanna

“How much of an asshole do you have to be to talk about “the big man upstairs” when paying tribute to a famous atheist? “

Bahahahha! Epic fail!

blitzgal

This is hysterical. MRAs are constantly whining that “women” and/or “feminists” spend all of their time blaming men for everything. And yet, all I can see is a tiny, bitter group of men who view the entire world through a woman-hating lens. Never miss an opportunity to stick it to women, no matter how tangential the subject.

Moewicus
Moewicus

I must admit to no small affection for Hitchens, despite his more objectionable views in regards to war and Islam, for example (I hadn’t even heard about the “women aren’t funny” stuff until recently). I think that turnabout may be fair play in Hitch’s case, though, Ozy:

This video just makes me smile. And according to @almightygod’s twitter, Hitchens has convinced him that he doesn’t exist, so we may have a “Towing Jehovah” situation on our hands soon.

LyssatakeaBow
LyssatakeaBow

i don’t know anything about Christopher Hitchens, but some of my friends are fans I know. I’m a woman and have been told somewhat often that I am funny or “you crack me up” etc sometimes by men but more often by women. So maybe my humor appeals more to women because it comes from an experience of a woman. I assume though that unless the majority of men find someone funny it doesn’t count cause women’s opinions don’t count. Also yeah way to go MRA guy for talking about “the big man upstairs” in regards to a famous atheist is amusing in it’s cluelessness.

hellkell
hellkell

Never was a Hitch fan, and absolutely could not stomach his Iraq war stance or his views on women’s humor.

Dracula
Dracula

…Wanda Sykes, Elvira Kurt, Margaret Cho, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Madeline Kahn, Maria Bamford, Sarah Haskins…

ithiliana

Carol Burnett!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon
Brandon

Sykes, Cho and Bamford aren’t funny. Betty White is hysterical though.

ithiliana

OTOH, if I am forced to watch the three Stooges, I don’t crack even the tiniest hint of a smile (they seem to be threatening to bring them back/remake or something?).

YOu know, it might just be that “humor” and what one finds funny is subjective.

Noadi

Lucille Ball

Dracula
Dracula

I never was a fan of The Three Stooges either.

no more mr nice guy

I was a fan of Christopher Hitchens because I’m atheist, although I completely disagreed with him about Iraq and I didn’t know about his view on women sense of humor.

I don’t understand why the Spearhead crowd praise him, because in the video where he says that women are not funny, he says that a man need to be funny to seduce a woman and otherwise he’s evolutionary failure. Since women laugh at them instead of laughing with them, the guys at the Spearhead are an evolutionary failure.

rabbitwink
rabbitwink

This ass was an Islamophobe, warmongering, entitled, imperialist, misogynist ass wipe. He’s only being lionized because of his love of media ubiquity. Enough people knew of him not because he was good, but because he was highly visible.

If you want to read some actual good writing, thought and critique try Tony Judt. That man, who recently died of ALS, is a towering genius in comparison. His final book of essays is entitled “Ill Fares The Land”, and a semi-posthumous collaboration between him and historian Tim Snyder is coming out this year.

Spearhafoc

I don’t have much respect for Hitchens. I read God Is Not Great, and although I agreed with the premise, I thought he came across as a self-absorbed asshole…and not in a fun, charming way.

That said, the debate about whether the Catholic Church is a force for good he did with Stephen Fry (they were on the same side, against a Bishop and right-wing politician) was wonderful to watch. Firmly recommend checking it out.

I also have to respect what he did about his views on waterboarding. He insisted that isn’t wasn’t torture. To back that up, he had it done on himself. After discovering how horrific the practice was first-hand, he proclaimed that it is definitely torture and should be banned. I’d like to see some other supporters of “enhanced interrogation” try to test their views like that.

Alphalady
Alphalady

“The Golden Girls.” Oh, I forgot, they were all over 50 and had no “SMV.” What was I thinking?!

hellkell
hellkell

B_don, no one gives a single fuck about what you think is funny.

karalora

You know why women don’t laugh at the Three Stooges?

(pause for effect)

Because they aren’t funny.

(I love that joke.)

Kavette
Kavette

Henry Rollins

Now that is a man and a free thinker.

Shaenon

The “women aren’t funny” essay only got dumber when, after being bombarded with counterarguments, Hitchens published a follow-up essay stating that, okay, some women are funny, but only the ones who are ugly, fat, old, gay, or Jewish.

So what he actually meant was, “women I want to fuck aren’t funny.” Which I’m sure was true, since he had a crap sense of humor. Except for getting waterboarded–that was hilarious.

Shaenon

I mean, the noises.

(If I speak ill of the dead, it’s because it’s what he would have wanted.)

KathleenB
KathleenB

Once again, Brandon hath declared who is funny. How would we ever know what is funny and what isn’t without his manly male guidance? I will adjust my viewing habits accordingly.

KathleenB
KathleenB

ithiliana: Carol Burnett is fucking brilliant. Although my favorite sketch from her show didn’t have her in it: the dentist (although the ‘Gone With the Wind’ parody is hilarious, too).

Alphalady
Alphalady

Like smart women, funny women are threatening to these guys. I sent some of the posts from Dalrock and reddit to a psychologist who runs a relationship forum. He said that these “men” are psychotically threatened by women. The very thought that women can be funny, smart, independent, still attractive to men after a certain age, can support themselves, etc., puts these guys into a complete tailspin. I just took a peek at Dalrock and these guys are still making nasty comments about a post someone put on there weeks ago about her 79 year old aunt who is still attractive and has a boyfriend. Why would something like that bother anyone?! And why are they still making nasty comments about this weeks later?
It doesn’t take much to put these guys’ tighty whities in a wad. And they accuse women of being catty bitches! I have never seen people so easily threatened in my life.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I hope that the irony of someone as unfunny as Brandon making this judgement has not been lost on anyone.

hellkell
hellkell

Cassandra, it has not. He’s one of our most humor-impaired trolls. Actually, none of them are funny, except Arks. He makes me laugh.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Meller is frequently very funny, it’s just not intentional.

Pecunium

Hitchens stand on Iraq/Islam, and his apparent love of being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole are why I didn’t like him.

His willingness (as it seems everyone else who’s tried it) to admit waterboarding is torture showed some intellectual honesty, but one bit of decency doesn’t make up for the rest.

Lauralot
Lauralot

I had no idea who Christopher Hitchens was until I read this post.

I don’t feel I’ve been missing out.

Lauralot
Lauralot

You’d think a comedian would be able to come up with something better than the trite old “women aren’t funny.”

Ullere
Ullere

Or nothing to do with men, maybe women find women less funny than they do men.

Audiences generally laugh more at men, women generally laugh more than men, women generally laugh less at women.

Or you know, misogyny etc.

briget
briget

I expect better out of public speaking atheists, who actually understand the very intricate and detailed nuance to how evolution actually works, to be able to spot pseudo science when they see it. Instead Hitchens fell right into that trap and made a public ass of himself. Being an atheist does not give you a free pass to be a sexist asswipe.

I absolutely loathed Hitchens. I think he was wrong about everything and his attitude of grating intellectual superiority would have made him intolerable regardless of what he thought. Atheists can do better.

Nobby

*sigh* So, first of all, obviously it’s a complete myth that women aren’t funny. So, seriously, no one should put that forward, it’s just too stupid. However, it’s not even true that men are much funnier in general. A study was just published this year showing that, while there may be a difference, it’s extremely small:

“Raters on average did show a preference for male writers, t(79) = 7.85, p < .001, allocating 0.11 more points to them (SD = 0.46, d = 0.24). Both female and male raters showed this preference for male writers, although the preference was significantly greater among male raters, t(79) = 3.63, p < .001. Female raters allocated male writers on average 0.06 more points [t(46) = 3.22, p < .01, d = 0.13]; male raters allocated them on average 0.16 more points [t(33) = 7.66, p < .001, d = 0.35]."

That's .11 out of ten. Incredibly small. And that's also on a very small group, 32 students. Larger studies tend to see such variations diminish. And, the study found that there tends to be serious misattribution errors, in that men are more often wrongly credited with funny things:

"participants preferentially attributed the funny captions, but not the unfunny ones, to males. The interaction was significant, F(1, 210) = 9.29, p = .003. Follow-up t tests indicated that the nonfunny captions were more often attributed to females (M = .68, SD = .14) than to males (M = .63, SD = .17), t(210) = 2.44, p = .016, and that there was a trend in attributing the funny captions to males (M = .70, SD = .14) as compared to females (M = .66, SD = .14), (210) = 1.87, p = .063."

So, yeah, STFU on the 'women are unfunny' stupidness. They're not, by any real margin. And stereotypes about it make the situation worse, because they are most likely a major cause of said misattribution errors.

Oh, and bonus anti-evo psyche:

"The data are not entirely consistent with a view of male humor being favored evolutionarily as impressing women (Miller, 2000), because male humor (perhaps like the male
sports car) appeals most especially to other men. Nor are the data consistent with humor being gender specific, because we found that, while men prefer male humor, women (albeit very slightly) also prefer it. "

And man sprang fully-formed from the earth with the innate willingness to laugh more at men.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Other people that Scotland has given the world that may help to make up for Ullere – Ian Banks, Robert Burns. Jo Rowling started writing Harry Potter in Scotland.

Every time Ullere posts I feel like that bit in Slapshot where the guy is talking about being sent to the penalty box. “You feel shame”.

Nobby

Oh, quick correction, it was tested on 81 students, not 32. 32 students wrote the captions. Also, women also were considerably less confident in their own abilities, which could very much bias their ability to be funny:

“The participants were in broad agreement with the stereotype that men are funnier, with (aggregating across writers and raters) 89% of the woman so indicating, and 94% of the men (1 female and 2 males did not respond to the question). This rate of endorsing the stereotype is not significantly different by gender, χ 2 (1, N = 110) = 0.58, p >.45. The caption writers also indicated that this would apply to them, with the male writers predicting an average funniness for their own creations of 2.3 (on a 1–5 scale), while the female writers predicted a significantly more modest 1.5, t(30) = 3.50, p = .001.

Nobby

Oh, sorry, one last correction. That’s .11 out of 5,m not 10 (which they make it really hard to figure out. Damn bad science writing). So, that’s an average difference in funniness, on a small scale (again, these effects tend to diminish on larger scales) of men being 2.2% funnier. Yeah…

Monsieur sans Nom
Monsieur sans Nom

Women are funny, but only when put the “few” quantifier before the subject! *LOL*

Yes, cho is funny, and yes I do know funny women. The thing is, you will never find a humorous feminist! In order to be funny, you can’t talk yourself or pretty much anything too seriously. EVEN things that are painful or politically incorrect. Humor and sensitivity just don’t mix. 😉

Nobby

Okay, ignore the study i just put up saying that that’s a ridiculous myth, and throw out the standard claim of “humorless feminist”, but, um, I know i may just make your head explode, but Cho is a feminist. Just for a single example you, yourself, provided. Good one there.

Ami Angelwings

I’m funny! 😀

I know you’re gonna claim I’m not before you even know me XD But I’m hilarious 😀 Everybody (incl MRAs) thinks so! 😀 You can ask Zeta Male, he has my magyc cards on his site! 😀

Ami Angelwings: So Awesome She’s Endorsed by MRAs :3

You can read either Escher Girls or my blog, which I know you’re gonna say arent’ funny b/c you have no sense of humour xD But that’s ok 😀

(Actually EVERY feminist here is pretty hilarious xD )

You can’t even go “FEMINISTS HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR CUZ THEY CAN’T MAKE FUN OF RAPE” and stuffs, since me, Zhinxy and Trish mock a rape prevention list for 2 posts (so far) on my blog xD And we make plenty of jokes about how everything and anything will rape you >_>

I dun think it’s POSSIBLE to prove to him that feminists are funny cuz it’s kinda like a self defined thing XD “people I find funny can’t be feminists therefore feminists can’t be funny” XD Plus, y’know, trolling xD He wouldn’t ever admit nething :3

Like that I’m awesome 😀

Ami Angelwings

There’s lots and lots of feminists who are funny, but obv we can’t prove it to him cuz well he’s trolling and he’s trying to claim his own ideological opposition to feminists being funny as some kind of objective truth XD So we shouldn’t chase his tail…

except me… cuz I’m awesome :3 And I’m one of the few objectively awesome (and funny! 😀 ) things in the world 😀

Ami Angelwings

That and Holly and Ozy :3 We are the 3 spirits of feminist awesome >_>

Or the 3 spirits of XY-mas

I am the ghost of XY-mas future! 😀

Because Margaret Cho isn’t a feminist or anything.

Common Nonsense
Common Nonsense

I read Hitchens’ “God is Not Great” when I was in . . . ninth grade? I remember liking it, but half of it probably went over my head at the time, anyway. I’unno what I’d think of it now.

I’m terrible at following popular people, so I can’t say much about his other opinions (misogyny, Islam, war, etc.) except that it makes me sad to hear he thought that way. :T But I tend to pick things to enjoy about people I don’t know personally and ignore the rest for the sake of being able to continue enjoying things I like. (For example, Notch acted like a butt after Minecon. I still play Minecraft anyway.)

Oh weeellll. ‘Least the dude could accomplish things while sloshed.

Also, feminists can totally be funny. They can even be funny while being feminist. That’s why I loved Sarah Haskins so much.

ozymandias42

No fair. I wanted to be the Ghost of XY-mas Future! I can be quiet and creepy! Look at me, being quiet and creepy!

(enthusiastically jumps up and down in a very quiet and creepy way)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Using Frenchy as an example, along with Lian Li, I think we can officially declare that trolls are not funny, with a few qualifiers. (Meller is funny, because of the doll thing and the tendency to talk like Lovecraft on meth.) Not because they’re offensive, just because their jokes are dull and their delivery sucks.

It’s always a bit awkward when you can tell that someone is trying really hard to be funny and they’re not.

1 2 3 4